PDA

View Full Version : rei stratus sleep pad (77x25 version)

RCBear
04-03-2013, 22:26
Can anyone that has used this pad comment on it? Mine came in the mail today and I'm going to test it out on my living room floor this evening. I liked the price point and the reviews online seem pretty good but would like first hand testimonials if possible. Decent R value and many seem to think it compares well to pads costing twice as much. Since I got it through REI I feel comfortable field testing it for a couple of nights and sending it back if it doesn't meet my expectations. Thanks!

Swordpen
04-03-2013, 23:20
Its a great pad, I like the side tubes are a little bigger, to keep you from rolling off it. In addition, I used it with a Big Agnes bag where you slide this pad into the sleeping bag sleeve. The sleeping bag was a synthetic 15 deg bag (I doubt that really, lol). But I used this system down to 42 degrees in a BA Copper Spur 2p tent, it was very warm & comfortable.

I am not using it anymore as tho, for me it was too heavy to carry. I am now using a NeoAir UL long.

my husband is now using the stratus, & he loves it.

RCBear
04-03-2013, 23:40
Thank you for the response swordpen. So far is pretty comfortable to lay on and I also like the raised tubes on the sides. Can you tell me if that was the 20 inch wide had that fit into your Big Agnes? It seems a lot of the bags that accommodate the pads via the sleeve are not meant for the wider versions. I really like the idea of not sliding off the pad but we need one to accommodate the additional 5 inches on this longer version. I'm glad to hear the both you and your husband sound it comfortable and well insulated. I will post my first impressions tomorrow. Thanks again

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Swordpen
04-03-2013, 23:50
Lol, I had the BIG REI Stratus:
25 inches wide
77 inches long
2.5 inches thick.

the sleeping bag was the BA Encampment in Long. The BA webpage says a 20" pad fits in the sleeve, but I got the Stratus in fully inflated anyway. It wasnt hard to do.

Captain Skivvies
04-04-2013, 00:07
I have one and really enjoy it. Will keep it till I find something lighter thats as comfortable. So far no luck. I'm sure you'll like it.

Teacher & Snacktime
04-04-2013, 00:20
It's nice to sleep on but the valves are a problem...very temperamental and prone to leaking. From what I've been told by REI, there's nothing that can be done to fix a valve problem.

MuddyWaters
04-04-2013, 00:45
It's nice to sleep on but the valves are a problem...very temperamental and prone to leaking. From what I've been told by REI, there's nothing that can be done to fix a valve problem.

Except return it to REI

RCBear
04-04-2013, 06:46
Thanks for the perspectives all. slept comfortably last night. Perfect width, and I didn't slide much at all. teacher, as muddy said, love the liberal rei return policy. Which of course won't help me if valve failure happens 2nd night out and turns a comfy pad into an extra ground cloth for the next several nights. But it felt good and was nice and quiet.

Captain, any relation to Colonel Commando? :thumbup:

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Rasty
04-05-2013, 08:05
No problems with mine. Comfortable, warm and guaranteed for life.