PDA

View Full Version : Section hike and Gear Shakedown - New England

SwissGuy
04-04-2013, 02:09
Hello all,

I'm a 26 Year old male and an Avid hiker looking to do a 4-5 day light gear shakedown (using a tent for the first time in years, and switched from canister to Alcohol stove) in prep for a thru-attempt. I'm located in RI and willing to section anything from NH/MA/VT or CT, specifically looking at the Flume Visitor Center to U.S. 302 as a possible section.

I am free to head out anytime as of now, but would prefer to wait until at least mid-May so we have slightly better conditions. Not looking for a huge mileage scramble, just trying to get the lay of the land and make sure my new gear setup is up for the task.

So, anyone interested in a hiking partner in my AO?

takethisbread
04-06-2013, 17:57
I'm heading out for a week in pa/md AT sometime in the next week. I'm then coming home for a day or two for work then heading to Erwin to hike to Damascus.

takethisbread
04-06-2013, 17:58
I'm from massacgusetts

SwissGuy
04-09-2013, 21:52
Got a hard date on those sections, because if you're looking for accompaniment I am game.

SwissGuy
05-04-2013, 04:47
Bumping this up, I have all my gear together and am ready to rock, anyone interested in a 3-5 day NE section? I can even provide transport to and from the head for a reasonable distance.

SwissGuy
05-05-2013, 11:02
Okay, here is my Itinerary:

START SUN 12 MAY

175, Main Road, Tyringham, MA

Night 1: around Upper Goose Pond (Campsite) (7mi)
Night 2: around October Mtn. (Shelter) (8.8mi)
Night 3: around Kay Woods (Shelter) (8.8mi)
Night 4: around Crystal Mtn (Campsite (6.7)
Night 5: around Mark Noepel (Shelter) (10mi)
Night 6: around Wilber Clearing (Shelter) (7-10mi)

END SUN 19 MAY

Somewhere in North Adams, MA (5mi)

It is not at all a hard section, and the mileage daily is very low, as I want to take my time and enjoy my little vacation. This is easily a 4 day section if you're trying, I'm stretching it to 7 mainly just because I have 7 days to burn and do it leisurely. I might do it in as few as 5 if I'm really feeling antsy at the end of the day.

Let me know if you're interested, I'll arrange transport if need be.

Teacher & Snacktime
05-05-2013, 11:12
Check out the trailjournals posts of Army Ant from Kingston, RI....he did a shakedown before starting his thru this year. You might like his location/recommendations. I'm personally a fan of the Tyringham MA trip, but I'll be doing that after Memorial Day so I get to see Goose Pond Cabin. If you contact the AMC Narragansett division they might be able to recommend so good local hikes, like sections of the North South Trail. Have fun!

SwissGuy
05-05-2013, 11:14
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check those out.

SwissGuy
05-07-2013, 20:26
Decided to go ahead and leave tomorrow. Did a 3mi test hike today around Providence, and since I'm ready and have the time, might as well get out there. See you guys later!

MissingMike
06-05-2013, 12:36
I'm also located in Providence, and I'm planning some 2-4 day hikes as well. I haven't decided yet exactly where I'm headed (not sure if I'll be solo or not), but I, too, am shaking down some gear - and myself! If you are still looking for partners, then just let me know.

Kerosene
06-05-2013, 15:44
For a first New England AT shakedown hike, I'd look at central Massachusetts: relatively flat with lots of access/egress points, but buggy in the warmer months or so I hear.

For a second hike, I'd ramp it up and do either Connecticut or southern Vermont.

If you're looking for a higher level of difficulty, consider western NH (Hanover to Glencliff), moving up to Glencliff to Franconia Notch if you're looking for a challenge.

Leave the rest of the Whites and Maine south of Stratton for a more strenuous hike with your gear list solidified.