PDA

View Full Version : What does "yogi" mean on the trail

TheYoungOne
04-04-2013, 15:11
Besides the cartoon bear, I have heard some WB members use the word "yogi" as a verb, what does it mean?

FarmerChef
04-04-2013, 15:19
It means to ask for something (i.e. food, a ride, etc.). For instance, I would really like a ride into town so I arrive at a trailhead and ask someone there if they can give me a lift.

To jones is to ask without asking. For instance, I would really like a ride into town so I talk to the same person as above about where I'm headed, when I plan to get there, how long it will take me to walk there but I don't explicitly ask for a lift. I then wait/hope for the person I'm talking to to offer me a ride.

Sarcasm the elf
04-04-2013, 15:21
It is a general term for a variety of actions hikers take that persuade people to help them without having to openly ask for the help, basically it's a form of subtle mooching. An example would be purposely sitting in a trailhead looking tired/injured in the hopes that someone with a car will walk up and ask if you need a ride. Another example is trying to get day hikers or car campers to give you food by dropping hints about how low on food you are, or cooking your worst looking backpacking food at a table in a popular area and hoping a car camper will offer you left-overs. Being the passive agressive person that I am, I admit to yogiing at times...

max patch
04-04-2013, 15:23
Lets say you are hiking thru a public area (like the SNP) and you see a family grilling hamburgers -- its the art of "letting" food be offered to you happily by these strangers without actually asking them them directly for it.

HikerHobo
04-04-2013, 15:45
One young lady about 15 years ago perfected the art of yogi to the point that her trail name became "Yogi." She now writes the preferred "PCT Trail Guide" and is a legend on trailjournals.com

SCRUB HIKER
04-04-2013, 15:47
Lets say you are hiking thru a public area (like the SNP) and you see a family grilling hamburgers -- its the art of "letting" food be offered to you happily by these strangers without actually asking them them directly for it.

Exactly. Shenandoah NP is the first place I think of when I think of yogiing. Walking through Big Meadows, you're like a cute piece of wildlife that has wandered into the campground and if you show no fear of humans and get close enough to them, they might toss you some food.

SCRUB HIKER
04-04-2013, 15:52
Exactly. Shenandoah NP is the first place I think of when I think of yogiing. Walking through Big Meadows, you're like a cute piece of wildlife that has wandered into the campground and if you show no fear of humans and get close enough to them, they might toss you some food.

And before anyone accuses me of being an ENTITLED LITTLE SNOT who thinks everyone owes him something, let me say that when I went through Big Meadows, the above isn't actually what I did. I hung out and ate with some thru-hikers I knew who were meeting up with their family there. Then it started dumping rain and I had to leave. But I heard tales of yogiing galore at Big Meadows up and down the trail from others.

mcstick
04-04-2013, 16:00
It means to mooch. Somehow has a positive connotation.

FarmerChef
04-04-2013, 16:03
It means to ask for something (i.e. food, a ride, etc.). For instance, I would really like a ride into town so I arrive at a trailhead and ask someone there if they can give me a lift.

To jones is to ask without asking. For instance, I would really like a ride into town so I talk to the same person as above about where I'm headed, when I plan to get there, how long it will take me to walk there but I don't explicitly ask for a lift. I then wait/hope for the person I'm talking to to offer me a ride.

Oops. Flipped those around. Yes, yogiing is to ask without asking. Jonesing is to ask directly.

jbwood5
04-04-2013, 16:03
Sometimes you can be just a subtle and accomplish the yogi think without it looking like you are begging. A few years back, I was south of Waynesboro (Afton Gap) taking a break on a rock on the trail and this day hiker lady comes along eating a slice of grapefruit. We exchange hi's and I mention that the grapefruit looks pretty good. So she stops and offers me a slice. It was awesome and I told her it was awesome, so she gives me another piece. I get up and start walking thanking her for the awesome grapefruit and she says "your welcome... here, take the whole bag, I got more in my car up on the road". I'm like "no, really, that was great but I don't want to take all your grapefruit". She says, "no problem, it's yours".

perrito
04-04-2013, 16:05
I think it means getting others to invite you. Like a kid staring at your bag of chips until you offer him some.
Sent via Tapatalk

Sarcasm the elf
04-04-2013, 16:06
It means to mooch. Somehow has a positive connotation.I'm comfortable with that...

bigcranky
04-04-2013, 16:36
To Yogi is an art. To Mooch is not. To Yogi is to allow other people to feel good about offering you something -- food, a ride, a place to stay -- that doesn't really cost them anything but that you, the hiker, would value greatly.

Mooching is just begging, which is not cool.

brian039
04-04-2013, 16:39
Yogi is passive-aggressive bumming and it is an art.

Example: You want to get to town and some dayhikers start talking to you. You mention that you need to get to town but it's a long way and you'd rather not walk. Then they offer you a ride.

Spirit Bear
04-04-2013, 16:51
Half of my friends perfected this art in college.

sliderule
04-04-2013, 17:16
Half of my friends perfected this art in college.

Given the quality of some college educations these days, it's a skill that current college students should probably cultivate. They will likely need it following graduation.

rickb
04-04-2013, 17:32

A lost art.

It isn't always a prety site.

Another Kevin
04-04-2013, 19:12
A lost art.

It isn't always a prety site.

We hikers aren't always a pretty sight in general. We're a pretty sorry and dishevelled-looking bunch.

HikerMom58
04-04-2013, 19:17
Ha Ha!! That's my daughter's dog, Tamber, trail name... Tamber was given the trail name- "Yogi"

Jack Tarlin
04-04-2013, 19:23
Must respectfully disagree with some of the comments above. To Yogi is NOT to outright ask for something, whether, goods, services, a ride, food, etc. To Yogi something is to somehow obtain this desired thing or object WITHOUT directly coming out and asking for it. The poster who described this as passive/aggressive bumming pretty much nailed it. Or to put it another way....to hang out by the picnic table of weekenders and to flat-out ask for a piece of fried chicken is beyond begging and mooching. This is to be deplored. To sort of hang out there and look long-suffering and Trail-weary so the people in question are delighted to GIVE you the chicken is what Yogi-ing represents. Or so I am credibly informed by others.....

Malto
04-04-2013, 19:46
Here's a great example..... Out in the middle of nowhere in NoCal on the PCT. came to a gravel road and a truck was passing by. They stopped and asked if I needed water. I told them and mentioned we were in a bit of hurry to get into town because we were short of food. Mthe driver told junior to reach back and get us the bag of chips and a few bears. Yogi at my finest. I would describe it as the art of turning folks into trail angels without them even knowing it. Or another example, you pass a couple on a horse. You remark "it sure must be nice having a horse carry all your food." Often you find out just how nice it is.

Rasty
04-04-2013, 19:50
Here's a great example..... Out in the middle of nowhere in NoCal on the PCT. came to a gravel road and a truck was passing by. They stopped and asked if I needed water. I told them and mentioned we were in a bit of hurry to get into town because we were short of food. Mthe driver told junior to reach back and get us the bag of chips and a few bears. Yogi at my finest. I would describe it as the art of turning folks into trail angels without them even knowing it. Or another example, you pass a couple on a horse. You remark "it sure must be nice having a horse carry all your food." Often you find out just how nice it is.

So, it's manipulating others into being better people? I like the concept.

Lone Wolf
04-04-2013, 20:09
it's just beggin'. in a round about way

Lone Wolf
04-04-2013, 20:11

Example: You want to get to town and some dayhikers start talking to you. You mention that you need to get to town but it's a long way and you'd rather not walk. Then they offer you a ride.

one time in SNP i walked up to some folks in a Winnebago at an overlook and asked to buy a couple slices of bread. the buffet was brought out

jrwiesz
04-04-2013, 20:14
... what does it mean?

It means BooBoo can't be far behind!

sliderule
04-04-2013, 20:52
I told them and mentioned we were in a bit of hurry to get into town because we were short of food. Mthe driver told junior to reach back and get us the bag of chips and a few bears. Yogi at my finest.

Just curious, Yogi…what did you do with the bears?

mcstick
04-04-2013, 23:29
To Yogi is an art. To Mooch is not. To Yogi is to allow other people to feel good about offering you something -- food, a ride, a place to stay -- that doesn't really cost them anything but that you, the hiker, would value greatly.

Mooching is just begging, which is not cool.

Then its a con.

wcgornto
04-05-2013, 02:42
I didn't yogi much, but I did it in epic fashion at PenMar. I could have hiked straight through there in three seconds flat. There were just too many group cookouts going on. I spent time at the overlook talking to people and I gradually made my way closer and closer to the most inviting pavilion. I ended up being invited to join an AA group out for a fine cookout. Burger, hot dog, chicken breast, plus baked beans and cole slaw, plus soda (no beer ... it was an AA group after all). I decided to be polite and not double up or triple up on everything. I didn't want to spoil things for other forlorn thru hikers that might amble by.

JAK
04-05-2013, 05:02
Nothing wrong with taking something as long as you are giving back same place or some place else. We all take from some place. Money is not the only currency. We all give back, here and there. Some more than others. The Big Guy Upstairs is keeping track even if we ain't. Cheating people through business and politics is no better than stealing, or begging. It's all the same.

JAK
04-05-2013, 05:08
Pack light. Live simple. Help others when you can. Those you love or those that need it the most.
And try to go easy on the environment. We really are ****ing things up.

In the grand scheme of things, what's a little yogi here and there? Depends on what you do with it.

JAK
04-05-2013, 05:10
Most high, all powerful, all good Lord!
All praise is yours, all glory, all honor, and all blessing.
To you, alone, Most High, do they belong.
No mortal lips are worthy to pronounce your name.
Be praised, my Lord, through all your creatures,
especially through my lord Brother Sun,
who brings the day; and you give light through him.
And he is beautiful and radiant in all his splendor!
Of you, Most High, he bears the likeness.
Be praised, my Lord, through Sister Moon and the stars;
in the heavens you have made them bright, precious and beautiful.
Be praised, my Lord, through Brothers Wind and Air,
and clouds and storms, and all the weather,
through which you give your creatures sustenance.
Be praised, My Lord, through Sister Water;
she is very useful, and humble, and precious, and pure.
Be praised, my Lord, through Brother Fire,
through whom you brighten the night.
He is beautiful and cheerful, and powerful and strong.
Be praised, my Lord, through our sister Mother Earth,
who feeds us and rules us,
and produces various fruits with colored flowers and herbs.
Be praised, my Lord, through those who forgive for love of you;
through those who endure sickness and trial.
Happy those who endure in peace,
for by you, Most High, they will be crowned.
Be praised, my Lord, through our Sister Bodily Death,
from whose embrace no living person can escape.
Woe to those who die in mortal sin!
Happy those she finds doing your most holy will.
The second death can do no harm to them.
Praise and bless my Lord, and give thanks,
and serve him with great humility.

Jefe
04-05-2013, 07:18
To steal a pick-a-nick basket from an unsuspecting day hiker. Usually by sliding down a rope from above while the day hikers go about their business. Preferably wearing only a hat, collar and tie and nothing else. :)

jesse
04-05-2013, 07:19
I would not include bumming rides as yoging.

sliderule
04-05-2013, 10:44
The Big Guy Upstairs is keeping track even if we ain't.

Just to help you stay in good standing with The Big Guy, you could send a weekly payment to my recreation fund. I will even put in a good word for you, directly to TBG.

Another Kevin
04-05-2013, 10:56
Hmm. The connection between Saint Francis's Canticle of the Sun and yogi-ing isn't immediately obvious. (Although it let me aside into a contemplation of the relation between the Italian poem, Psalm 104 and the Great Hymn to Aten. I won't try to advance the argument that Akhenaten's hymn - of which Moses would surely have been aware - was a foreshadowing of the revelation on Mount Sinai, because that would surely be drifting the thread even further.

Returning to the thread, the lines are blurred between yogi-ing and begging (at one end) and gratefully accepting a gift from new-made friends (at the other). Is it still yogi-ing if you don't start with an intention to get something out of the contact (beyond the human contact itself)?

jrwiesz
04-05-2013, 11:09
... Is it still yogi-ing if you don't start with an intention to get something out of the contact (beyond the human contact itself)?

No, it's called "survival of the fittest".

sliderule
04-05-2013, 11:14
Is it still yogi-ing if you don't start with an intention to get something out of the contact (beyond the human contact itself)?

"Intent" is a necessary element of the offense, whether present initially or at some later time.

treesloth
04-05-2013, 11:50
37 replies for a simple question where one or two would have sufficed. That's how it's done here on WB! :)

TheYoungOne
04-05-2013, 15:41
37 replies for a simple question where one or two would have sufficed. That's how it's done here on WB! :)

Actually it helps a lot. I checked on Urban Dictionary and there was no hiking related defination for Yogi. Someone from WB should put an entry in.
Going by what the cartoon character did, I originally thought it was outright stealing other hikers food and stuff when they were not around. Since we had another thread running on theft on the AT, I figured I ask.

JAK
04-08-2013, 06:16
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.