PDA

View Full Version : "A Walk in the Woods" movie back in production

Mrs Baggins
04-04-2013, 15:21
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/richard-linklater-to-take-a-walk-in-the-woods-with-robert-redford-nick-nolte-20130403?fb_action_ids=577889482229571&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map={%22577889482229571%22%3A2903138 87767406}&action_type_map={%22577889482229571%22%3A%22og.lik es%22}&action_ref_map=[]

Personally, I don't like the idea of making Bryson and Katz into a couple of gray haired geezers. Just cast it as it was written if you're going to do it. Kind of like making a James Bond movie, but casting a 5' tall 350 lb sumo wrestler as Bond and then saying "It'll be just like the books, only different!" :mad:

Sarcasm the elf
04-04-2013, 15:22
Well, there goes the neighborhood...

SCRUB HIKER
04-04-2013, 15:59
Interesting ... here's a better link. http://tinyurl.com/d9ffm3a

Spirit Bear
04-04-2013, 16:53
Only half of the book is about their hiking adventure, the other half is filler to please bryson's novel company.

How are they going to make a full length movie on half a novel?

Two Speed
04-04-2013, 16:58
Car wrecks, explosions and other assorted drama.

Train Wreck
04-04-2013, 17:25
High speed shuttle chases, random acts of shelter carving, and lots of crying :D

Mags
04-04-2013, 17:25
An excellent writer is doing the screenplay (Russo) and an excellent director will be heading it up (Linklater). Could be very good.

Or not. :)

Pedaling Fool
04-04-2013, 17:57
I've been thinking about this movie lately, because I seem to remember someone saying that Redford was some how involved with a movie that was in the works depicting the life of Jackie Robinson and that movie just came out, or is about to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42_(film)

Mrs Baggins
04-04-2013, 19:32
Interesting ... here's a better link. http://tinyurl.com/d9ffm3a

Sorry, I don't know how to do the "tinyurl" thing. :)

Cookerhiker
04-04-2013, 21:04
Redford and Nolte are too old to play the parts. OTOH, the general movie-going public probably won't notice.

kayak karl
04-04-2013, 21:20
the movie should make for some interesting threads in the future :D

Coosa
04-04-2013, 21:26
As a former Georgian with many friends in the North Georgia and Hiawassee area, I have often taken umbrage at all the hype that Bill Bryson got for besmirching Southerners with his 'tall tale.' I know at least half a dozen Georgians who were even more vocal than I. Littering is not 'funny' except to Bryson and Katz. Making fun of Mrs. Mull's mother [I believe it was] was 'tacky' to say the least and mean-spirited. We don't do that in the South. But we DO have long memories.

One thing I found interesting as I did Trail Angeling after Bryson's book came out was the many comments I got from Thru Hikers about how they'd read the book and were concerned about what kind of people they'd find in Georgia, but found us to be very nice people and not at all like Bryson described.

And YES I did read the book when it came out [friend loaned it to me].

I know a LOT of hikers read the book and it's what got them interested in hiking the AT ... but it could have been written without the bias and prejudice against the South.

If someone used the same style here on WB, they'd be given a private email asking them to tone down the rhetoric, would they not?

kayak karl
04-04-2013, 21:37
and your opinion on "Deliverance" :)

Cookerhiker
04-04-2013, 21:38
the movie should make for some interesting threads in the future :D

Yes, just like the book has made for many, many interesting threads in the past.

MuddyWaters
04-04-2013, 21:39
Singular worst idea Ive heard of all year.

What made the the book good, was Brysons style of writing.
Certainly not storyline.
That cant be duplicated in a movie.

mega flop coming on

erieite
04-04-2013, 21:43
I must be in the minority because I really was disappointed in the book.

Cookerhiker
04-04-2013, 21:43

Certainly not storyline.

mega flop coming on

Very good point. The only way it could possibly appeal to a mass audience is through substantial additions to the script such that it would be unrecognizable.

Teacher & Snacktime
04-04-2013, 22:10
I loved the book...read it twice and it inspired me to read his other works. But Redford playing a 41 year old? Only in Walking Dead would that work. Makeup only goes so far.

Fur Queue
04-04-2013, 22:34
Age is surely irrelevant to the bigger story? I would imagine that the movie wouldn't be a re-enactment...they seldom are...and are usually all the more inresting for it. Two guys, old friends, confronting themselves, and the inevitability of time and nature is some classic ingredients...

WingedMonkey
04-04-2013, 22:57
Not a fan of "A Walk in the Woods", lucky for me I hiked the trail before Bryson did. But Nolte looks like the average Trail Days hiker to me.

:banana

turtle fast
04-04-2013, 23:01
I hope they film on/near the AT and NOT in Canada (not to belittle our northern neighbors). Some extra boosts to local economies along the AT would be nice.

Dogwood
04-04-2013, 23:06
UGGG, not another thread about A Walk in the Woods. It's worse than ALL the folk's who have asked me, "have you seen Into the Wild? My reply, "like a dozen times." With the follow up, "yeah, you kinda look like the guy in the movie."

Sarcasm the elf
04-04-2013, 23:12

Certainly not storyline.

mega flop coming on

This. I'm a fan of Bryson's writing style and wit, which is the only reason that the book was any good. Remove that and all you have left is a storyline about a couple in inept suburbanites littering and making fun of the locals.

I'll wait for it to come out on Netflix...

Northern Lights
04-05-2013, 00:14
I hope the movie is better than the book.

rocketsocks
04-05-2013, 00:36
Only half of the book is about their hiking adventure, the other half is filler to please bryson's novel company.

How are they going to make a full length movie on half a novel?Artistic license...and alternate endings

Astro
04-05-2013, 00:42
Artistic license...and alternate endings

Like they could actually do a thru-hike? :confused:

rocketsocks
04-05-2013, 00:44
Like they could actually do a thru-hike? :confused:Who said anything about hiking :D

and you know someones gettin laid on a bear skin rug w/the Dallas cowboy cheerleaders,eh! bada bing! if only in a drunken nightmare....cut away

Six Steps
04-05-2013, 07:30
Of all the hiking memoirs I have read "A Walk in the Woods" was my least favorite.

fredmugs
04-05-2013, 07:59

You're not. The book is at best 1/3 about "hiking" and 2/3 complaining about the federal government. With the exception of Moby Dick it's the worst book I've ever read.

flemdawg1
04-05-2013, 10:21
UGGG, not another thread about A Walk in the Woods. It's worse than ALL the folk's who have asked me, "have you seen Into the Wild? My reply, "like a dozen times." With the follow up, "yeah, you kinda look like the guy in the movie."

Before or after the bus?

Nolte (sp?) and Redford are Waaaaaaaay to old for these characters (might have to retitle Grumpy Old Men 4). See Paul Rudd and Zach Galafa-whatever in these roles.

Ewok11
04-05-2013, 10:25
and your opinion on "Deliverance" :)

I haven't read the story this thread pertains to but I HAD to respond to this. I've used Deliverance as a reference more than once when trying to explain to someone where I grew up. :p It's effective at getting people to leave me alone when I don't want to talk to them.

Pedaling Fool
04-05-2013, 10:26
I've been thinking about this movie lately, because I seem to remember someone saying that Redford was some how involved with a movie that was in the works depicting the life of Jackie Robinson and that movie just came out, or is about to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42_(film)

I should clarify: I know Redford is too old and will not have a part in this movie. My point is that I was under the impression that he was involved some how in the production with this movie and with the Jackie Robinson movie and he wanted to finish the Jackie Robinson movie first.

I could be mistaken, I don't follow hollywood, just some how I got the impression.

atraildreamer
04-05-2013, 10:27

#42's statue in Jersey City, NJ:

Dogwood
04-05-2013, 10:58
Before or after the bus?.....

With my mornin Joe before da bus. Without my mornin Joe more like after da bus.

There's a small hiking cult rising out of the idea that you had to have visited "the bus" before joining the cult. When members and wanna be members of this hiking cult excitedly say to me, "have you been to the bus?, have you been to the bus?' I usually say something like this: "Nah, I haven't bin ta da bus. Not interested in visiting da bus. I'm busy living my own life, not trying to relive someone else's life that I saw in a made by Hollywood movie." That reply usually hits them like a ton of bricks. Lots of thought provoking ideas, possibly life altering, in the movie though.

EllieMP
04-05-2013, 11:46
Only in Hollywood!

Seatbelt
04-05-2013, 12:15
You're not. The book is at best 1/3 about "hiking" and 2/3 complaining about the federal government. With the exception of Moby Dick it's the worst book I've ever read.

I totally agree with this, was very disappointed in the book after reading the hype beforehand.

10-K
04-05-2013, 12:36
I always thought John Candy was born to play Katz...

I love Bryson's writing style - I've read all his books.

max patch
04-05-2013, 13:23
Seinfeld reunion!

Kramer as Bryson. George as Katz. Elaine as Jensine.

And reprising their roles as the bickering neighbors, Jerry as Tarlin and Newman as Doyle.

Now thats a movie I'd see.`

FlyPaper
04-05-2013, 14:22
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/richard-linklater-to-take-a-walk-in-the-woods-with-robert-redford-nick-nolte-20130403?fb_action_ids=577889482229571&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map={%22577889482229571%22%3A2903138 87767406}&action_type_map={%22577889482229571%22%3A%22og.lik es%22}&action_ref_map=[]

Personally, I don't like the idea of making Bryson and Katz into a couple of gray haired geezers. Just cast it as it was written if you're going to do it. Kind of like making a James Bond movie, but casting a 5' tall 350 lb sumo wrestler as Bond and then saying "It'll be just like the books, only different!" :mad:

I look forward to seeing the movie. Hopefully, Hollywood will do something to tone done Bryson's evident condescension toward virtually everyone.

The downside: if the movie is popular, the trail will become more crowded as a result.

double d
04-05-2013, 16:40
I think Bryson is a very good writer (kinda of like a poor mans Twain), but overall, I think his book is just one long (and usually negative) rant about almost everything. I never got the impression he liked hiking and I also found the slob that is his friend got old fast (at least to me). Not sure how Redford is going to pull this off, but he's very talented, so it will remain to be seen, as he could just produce a great movie.

Different Socks
04-05-2013, 18:33

Add 1 to that group.

Different Socks
04-05-2013, 18:36
Is it all possible that if some of the particular storylines from the book make it into the movie, it could end up giving the AT a bad rep?

Sarcasm the elf
04-05-2013, 18:46
Is it all possible that if some of the particular storylines from the book make it into the movie, it could end up giving the AT a bad rep?Given how often non-hikers ask me if the trail in the south is inhabited by folks like the ones in deliverance, I would say people's opinions are easily swayed by movies. A mainstream movie about the trail could easily give it a bad name, or it could make the trail obnoxiously popular and crowded for a couple of years. We'll have to wait and see...

Tuckahoe
04-05-2013, 19:45
My take is that hikers are like reenactors, and take themselves too serious. Hikers will take immediate offense at what is otherwise a diverse, accurate and humorous depiction of trail culture...

Pedaling Fool
04-05-2013, 20:06
My take is that hikers are like reenactors, and take themselves too serious. Hikers will take immediate offense at what is otherwise a diverse, accurate and humorous depiction of trail culture...Funny, but true. :)

Almost There
04-05-2013, 20:45
My take is that hikers are like reenactors, and take themselves too serious. Hikers will take immediate offense at what is otherwise a diverse, accurate and humorous depiction of trail culture...

Well said! If people really want to be offended they should read his "Lost Continent" where he travels around the country and makes fun of everyone including himself. Sometimes people just need thicker skins.

Lone Wolf
04-05-2013, 21:05

yup. good book. he captured the southern AT perfectly. i was on the AT that year. all other books are just plain azz boring

Datto
04-06-2013, 00:12
I loved the book. If anything has made the AT even more famous it's Bill Bryson. I know people in the hiking community have less than a stellar opinion of Bill Bryson (for whatever reason) but he put the AT on the map for the general population of America.

I'm thinking Steve Carell as Bryson and John Goodman as Katz for believability.

If you haven't see John Goodman lately in the movie Argo or the movie Flight you'd have a much greater appreciation of John Goodman's talent. Argo is an excellent movie if you're looking for something to rent/watch. I couldn't watch the entire Flight movie -- too many bad memories of being on those types of flights in a past life where the plane went cockeyed.

By the way -- the funniest line in the book is where "what's your trailname" is asked. Still cracks me up.

Datto

importman77
04-06-2013, 09:01
I loved the book. If anything has made the AT even more famous it's Bill Bryson. I know people in the hiking community have less than a stellar opinion of Bill Bryson (for whatever reason) but he put the AT on the map for the general population of America.

If you haven't see John Goodman lately in the movie Argo or the movie Flight you'd have a much greater appreciation of John Goodman's talent. Argo is an excellent movie if you're looking for something to rent/watch. I couldn't watch the entire Flight movie -- too many bad memories of being on those types of flights in a past life where the plane went cockeyed.

By the way -- the funniest line in the book is where "what's your trailname" is asked. Still cracks me up.

Datto

Have to say I liked the book as well. I can't wait to see how they play the scene of Katz trying to pick up the 350 lb girl at the laundromat and the ensuing chase by her 600 lb redneck husband. I rolled when I read that part. "She's got a great body too, it's just hiding under 200 lbs of fat"

Mags
04-06-2013, 13:20

I can totally see this!

BTW, Goodman was awesome in Treme as well. (I'm also a sucker for anything by David Simon)

In any case, it is just a light hearted, fun and easy read. Something to read while waiting for connecting flights. :) Not sure why people get so offended.

Yes, he poked fun at the south.

He also pokes fun at himself and other places where he goes. Heck, I'm sure if he wrote about the northeast, he'd write about the over caffeinated people who talk funny. ;) I'd laugh along....

Tuckahoe
04-06-2013, 13:23
I can totally see this!

BTW, Goodman was awesome in Treme as well. (I'm also a sucker for anything by David Simon)

Hee hee, I'm thinking Simon Pegg and Nick Frost.

waasj
04-07-2013, 17:53
They did. It with the Lorax and The Grinch, why not Bryson and Katz??

Ladytrekker
04-07-2013, 17:59
I got the impression in the book that Katz didn't exist that he was Bryson alter ego, was I the only one that read it that way.

Mags
04-07-2013, 19:22
I got the impression in the book that Katz didn't exist that he was Bryson alter ego, was I the only one that read it that way.

Katz exists:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?18644-Katz-is-out-of-the-bag

http://dailynewthing.wordpress.com/2009/01/28/another-reason-to-hate-bryson-as-if-i-needed-one/

max patch
04-07-2013, 19:51

He existed.

They were both at Rainbow Springs and Jensine showed me their charge tickets. She hated that book.

staehpj1
04-07-2013, 19:58
I like Bryson, but though this particular book was his worst. If it does become a movie, I will wait until I can see it for free.

redseal
04-07-2013, 20:22
I'm torn. I like the idea of the movie but I also do not want the trail to become more popular :-)

Bucherm
04-08-2013, 02:09
I liked the book.

I really do not understand people who go "well maybe they can actually THRU-HIKE IT next time".

There are literally dozens of memoirs of people who thru-hiked. Go read those if that's so important to you.

Spirit Bear
04-08-2013, 16:51
The dude should be playing katz.

Luddite
04-08-2013, 18:24

Certainly not storyline.

mega flop coming on

That's exactly what happened with the On The Road movie.

Linklater is great filmmaker but I don't know how he's going pull this off. Why do they feel it necessary to adapt every single Best selling book into a movie?

4shot
04-08-2013, 20:57
The downside: if the movie is popular, the trail will become more crowded as a result.

yeah, probably the first 200 miles or so, after that it'll be like always. To paraphrase John Cougar, the trail goes on, long after the thrill of doing a thruhike is gone. Like Bryson, most will be thinned out in the first 500 miles.

MkBibble
05-16-2013, 16:58
you know... every time that I hear about Nick Nolte playing Katz, I can't help but imagine him looking like this! 21666

Dogwood
05-16-2013, 17:17
Well, it's back in production. Does that mean I still got a shot at being called to be an extra that I applied for 7 yrs ago? Yes, in a low key way, they were interviewing hikers on the AT in 2006 to be casted as extras in the movie. They said I had a good possibility of being called after the interview and taking my pic. I guess they say that to everyone though.

Dogwood
05-16-2013, 17:19
That's Nolte's drunken driving mug shot. I wonder who does his hair? Katrina or Sandy?

MkBibble
05-16-2013, 17:23
I think it was actually, "... his pal Jack Daniels and his partner Jimmy Beam."

Dogwood
05-16-2013, 17:32
I will not even comment on Nolte's shirt other than to say it's priceless.....at a 7-11 store in Honolulu.

Dogwood
05-16-2013, 18:26
I've grown so weary of hearing about Bryson, his books, his characters, the validity of A Walk Into the Woods, and the making of A Walk Into the Woods into a movie. I've been hearing about the book being made into a movie since shortly after its publication date in 1998. Here we are 15 yrs later. Are they trying to build the suspense by making us wait? I, for one, am losing interest.

Bucketfoot
05-16-2013, 19:33
I enjoyed the book,weather it was all true or not and I would like to read some of his other books when I find the time. I hope the movie is never finished. A lot of you will not like to hear this but as someone who has hiked south through the bubble the past two springs I think there are too damn many thru hikers already. I love hiking in the South in the spring and I am afraid it will be 2 or 3 times worse after the Public has seen this movie, especially if the movie is a big hit. Yes I'm selfish!

rocketsocks
05-16-2013, 19:36
I enjoyed the book,weather it was all true or not and I would like to read some of his other books when I find the time. I hope the movie is never finished. A lot of you will not like to hear this but as someone who has hiked south through the bubble the past two springs I think there are too damn many thru hikers already. I love hiking in the South in the spring and I am afraid it will be 2 or 3 times worse after the Public has seen this movie, especially if the movie is a big hit. Yes I'm selfish!I think your right, after the book came out there seems to be a big influx in the years that followed, can't see why that wouldn't happen again when the movie comes out.

Dogwood
05-16-2013, 21:00
If I had $1 each time I heard someone sound off about A Walk Into the Woods and Into the Wild I could fund my next long distance hike and easily give RED DOG $1K to put towards his proposed PCT thru next yr! Oops, I guess I owe myself $2 more for sounding off about these two books/movies.

Del Q
05-16-2013, 21:43
I want to see the Las Vegas odds on Nolte hiking more than 2-3 miles, uphill...........

This is one of those NIMBY items, not in my back yard................will significantly increase trail traffic.

Is that good?

Is that not so good?

mfleming
05-16-2013, 23:29
Looking forward to the movie. Really enjoyed the book.

Plodderman
05-16-2013, 23:31
Hope they get the movie done. I enjoyed the book and have scene very few movies if any about hiking.

Blue Sky II
05-17-2013, 17:46
Well the latest is that Redford is in as director and Linklater is out! http://www.empireonline.com/News/story.asp?nid=37441

Dogwood
05-18-2013, 13:55
With a name like Blue Sky I'm sure you have some Allman Brothers on your hiking MP3 player.

Gorgiewave
08-30-2013, 14:58
I would never have heard of the Appalachian Trail if it hadn't been for A Walk in the Woods (read by Kerry Shale).
I will see this film.

Theosus
08-30-2013, 19:53

"how the grinch stole xmass" was a 22 minute cartoon (after commercials and credits), it took even less time to read the dam thing. They made it into a two hour movie... Thats the magic of Hollyweird.

Catnip514
08-30-2013, 20:32
This movie would no doubt crowd the trails for a little while afterward. But wouldn't a movie like this also showcase the importance of embracing nature as part of people's lives and then in turn allow them to see the importance of protecting it?

capehiker
08-30-2013, 21:55
But wouldn't a movie like this also showcase the importance of embracing nature as part of people's lives and then in turn allow them to see the importance of protecting it?

I don't believe it would. The premise of the movie is a comedy of errors, not protecting our forests. If the movie is 1/4 successful as the book, the litter on the trail now will pale in comparison to what it will be.

bfayer
08-30-2013, 22:05
This movie would no doubt crowd the trails for a little while afterward. But wouldn't a movie like this also showcase the importance of embracing nature as part of people's lives and then in turn allow them to see the importance of protecting it?

If this movie ever makes it into a public theater, there will be miles upon endless miles of salami sausage and coffee filters along every inch of the AT. "Hey look I'm just like Katz" as another chunk of trash gets chucked down the side of a mountain.

The people that go to see movies are not the same as the people that read books.

hikerboy57
08-30-2013, 22:19
maybe they'll bring popcorn:)

Sheriff Cougar
11-11-2013, 20:41
Redford and Nolte are too old to play the parts. OTOH, the general movie-going public probably won't notice. Love Redford no matter how old he is and Nolte, too! Oooohlala!

mfleming
11-11-2013, 22:14
Robert sure looked old in the Weather Underground movie that came out last year. He's pushing 80

Del Q
11-11-2013, 22:26
Two throughts:

1. Better book room NOW in the Southern shelters, after this comes out they will need EZ Pass on the AT

2. Heard that most of their pack weight will be oxygen tanks.

sketcher709
11-11-2013, 22:38
I always thought John Candy was born to play Katz...

I love Bryson's writing style - I've read all his books.

Yes, John Candy! Or Rhys Ifans in the style of the character he played in Notting Hill . Stupid movie but his character was priceless.

salsi
11-11-2013, 23:00
well this just inspired me to grab the book from my library and see what it said again. Hope the movie doesn't come out before my potential thru in 2015.

shelb
11-14-2013, 00:15
Redford and Nolte are too old to play the parts. OTOH, the general movie-going public probably won't notice.

I agree; however, I understand why they were chosen for the parts. Each of their respective screen personas - from 25-35 years ago - fit the role they were cast for perfectly.

Now. Redford is 77, and Nolte is 72.

bobtomaskovic
11-14-2013, 02:09
Everyone is worried about an increase in hikers but the truth is 2 things will always limit traffic on the AT. The hills and the fact that you have to walk.

magneto
11-14-2013, 09:36
The reason this book endures is because, while the stories told by Mr. Bryson may be "embellished", anyone who has hiked knows that every word of the book is none the less true.

I went on a short overnight hiking/camping trip with my wife and daughter to Sandy Neck on Cape Cod. A wonderful place - highly recommend. Camping in the dunes, fires on the beach, swimming, easy, flat walk in and out, etc.

We had a 4 mile walk into our campsite along a flat road with zero feet of elevation change. We were hiking with full packs. The ranger checking us in, in all seriousness, warned us that it "is a long walk, more than a mile" to our campsite and they charge $60 per person for a "rescue", if we can'twalk out on our own because we get tired.

I immediately thought of Bryson in Waynesboro being warned about the long walk to the K Mart for bug spray.

I thanked the ranger and said to her, just as seriously, "don't worry: we'll take emergency provisions." She didn't get it, but said, as if on-cue, "Well, good luck to you!"

Astro
11-14-2013, 10:28
Everyone is worried about an increase in hikers but the truth is 2 things will always limit traffic on the AT. The hills and the fact that you have to walk.

20% drop out rate at Neels Gap might shoot up to 40%

Jeff
11-14-2013, 10:31

Very true...but the AT saw a big increase in use after the book came out in 1998.

hobby
11-14-2013, 10:52
hope the movie paints a better picture of North Georgia than Deliverance did.........not that there aren't folks like that in the mountains--I just hope they don't show them!

Mags
11-14-2013, 12:34
It would be funny if the "Walk in the Woods" movie came out at the same time as "Wild".

Free gear left behind for taking on both trails. :D

salsi
11-14-2013, 15:14
It would be funny if the "Walk in the Woods" movie came out at the same time as "Wild".

:-? yep sounds about right

Son Driven
11-14-2013, 15:46

Perhaps if Bryson hiked the entire trail he would have been able to write an entire novel.

mfleming
11-14-2013, 23:21

Maybe "A Walk in the Wild" should add that Dakota Joe dude :)

MoonstruckRed
12-29-2013, 06:58
After learning about the AT back in 2008, I plan to finally do my Thru Hike in 2016, once my wife is out of College. Considering the release date, if there's going to be a increase in popularity on the trail we're bound to see it peak when I hike it. It will be an interesting year to be a part of the trail.

SunnyWalker
12-29-2013, 09:33
The book was a riot. I laughed every page. With Redford in the movie it ought to be a real delight. Like the book, I think it will do a lot to promote hiking and the AT. Can't wait for it to come out. For those who are purists, just relax-it IS a movie. Movies always change things, stretch the facts, throw in stuff not in the novel, etc. This is done by the writer/director for in their eye it needs it to make good entertainment. Are they right? Who knows, I just hope it is long, clean, features a lot of footage of the beautiful AT and does not divulge into enviromentalism and all that stuff.

4eyedbuzzard
12-29-2013, 10:51
Everyone is worried about an increase in hikers but the truth is 2 things will always limit traffic on the AT. The hills and the fact that you have to walk.If they start at the approach trail many may not do more than a mile on the AT itself.

20% drop out rate at Neels Gap might shoot up to 40%And a boon to shuttlers getting hikers back to the MARTA station.

Very true...but the AT saw a big increase in use after the book came out in 1998.True, and perhaps the biggest single "cause" that spurred the massive increase in thru-hiking in the 1970's and later decades was another book - Ed Garvey's Appalachian Hiker: The Adventure of a Lifetime.

takethisbread
12-29-2013, 11:04
Redford and Nolte too old. Vince Vaughn as Katz and Galifinakis as Bryson would have been good. it's a funny book. perhaps nick nolte as Warren Doyle would have been great as an adversary, Baltimore Jack could lose 60 lbs like Deniro in Raging Bull and win the Oscar playing himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Des
12-29-2013, 11:18

Might have to schedule a vacation down at Springer for after the movie comes out to go 'gear shopping.'

Wise Old Owl
12-29-2013, 11:36
I am sure people do that... otherwise it would accumulate.

Game Warden
12-31-2013, 19:14
I did not care for this book. He's the kind of writer who looks down his nose at his subjects. For example, he talks about all the crime on the AT in one chapter, and in another seems to criticize NPS rangers for being armed.

Del Q
12-31-2013, 19:23
If this movie does in fact come out, with Redford involved it will be a quality film. I do think that the popularity of the AT will blossom even more that it does now PLUS Reese in WILD will enhance the hobby we all love.

Maybe it will get more people off their couches and into fitness and the outdoors, not such a bad thing.

RED-DOG
12-31-2013, 20:18
If this movie does in fact come out, with Redford involved it will be a quality film. I do think that the popularity of the AT will blossom even more that it does now PLUS Reese in WILD will enhance the hobby we all love.

Maybe it will get more people off their couches and into fitness and the outdoors, not such a bad thing.
I wounder if they plan to make the movie on location, but probably in Hollywood using a Stair Stepper. And i really didn't care for the Book either.

Del Q
01-01-2014, 10:35
When I first got the book I was seeking all info on the AT, kind of pissed me off................then I re-read it after some experience on the trail and thought that parts of it were pretty hilarious. Bryson is a good writer.

stacy324
01-01-2014, 11:10
Before I read Bryson's book (about 15 years ago) I had never been backpacking and I knew nothing about the AT. Since then I have spend many nights in the woods and have section hiked over 500 miles of the AT. I not only enjoyed the book but I owe Bryson a debt of gratitude for introducing me to a wonderful world I knew nothing about. I'm sure the movie will do the same for many others.

Spogatz
01-03-2014, 12:56
Just reading up to the part where they make the approch trail would make a great movie. Katz dumping most of his pack on the way up is a hoot. People just don't have an idea of what it is like to hit the hills without ever having hiked before. It's the shock value.

marti038
01-03-2014, 16:08
The first few chapters were hilarious, even if the jokes came at the expense of a few individuals who may or may not actually exist. After a while he drifted into a lot snobby generalizations about groups of people and some politically motivated tirades that were irrelevant to the AT.

Overall, it was an entertaining book, but I wish he would have stuck to comical interactions with other people or events on the trail. Of course, it helps to actually stay on the trail if you're going to do that.

I'd watch the movie if they ever produce it, but I won't pay much or go to a lot of effort to do so.

Odd Man Out
01-03-2014, 16:08
Just reading up to the part where they make the approch trail would make a great movie. Katz dumping most of his pack on the way up is a hoot. People just don't have an idea of what it is like to hit the hills without ever having hiked before. It's the shock value.

That's my favorite part too. He definitely left a trace. Really it's a book on how not to hike the AT.

bamboo bob
01-03-2014, 17:20
Richard Russo is my favorite author. Also Redford and Nolte are first rate actors. I hope it isn't too extreme in terms of preachiness.

The Weasel
01-06-2014, 14:50
Ain't gonna get made. It's in "pre-production," with two "cast members" - Nolte and Redford - and a few other "maybes" on the production side. "Pre-production" basically means, "We're shopping this to the studios and groveling for money." No one's seen a greenlight yet. Doubt they will.

The Weasel

Game Warden
01-20-2014, 00:33
Good. The book, and any movie based on it, will only be another barrier to more people hiking.

Kaptain Kangaroo
01-20-2014, 03:19
Good. The book, and any movie based on it, will only be another barrier to more people hiking.

Not sure how you figure that..... It might just be coincidence, but thru hiker numbers started to rise after the book was published in 2008...

i like the book ! It is way more entertaining than most journal style memoirs & is actually a more realistic result for most people who set out to thru hike. Anyone who says it is not a true representation of the AT must have hiked a different AT to the one I did ! Sure, he does exaggerate a little and focus on the more ridiculous/ entertaining aspects of trail life & people, but he is a comedy travel writer, that's what he does.

skinnbones
01-20-2014, 06:45
Who will they cast as the "Big Mistake" Mary Ellen?

MuddyWaters
01-20-2014, 08:04
Who will they cast as the "Big Mistake" Mary Ellen?

Rosie ODonnell, Roseanne Barr, or some other large woman with a built in annoying voice and personality.

I thought the book was entertaining for the first part, and the last part, due to Brysons style.
I cant see a movie doing the same thing.

Neither Redford or Nolte are funny guys either.

takethisbread
01-20-2014, 08:48
Rosie ODonnell, Roseanne Barr, or some other large woman with a built in annoying voice and personality.

I thought the book was entertaining for the first part, and the last part, due to Brysons style.
I cant see a movie doing the same thing.

Neither Redford or Nolte are funny guys either.
Redford can be the Bryson character ok , the straight man. beside his obviously being too old, it's not a bad choice. Katz is the comedian of the story, and Nolte hasn't been mildly funny since 48 hours. and he's 70 yrs old as well. the Big Mistake , factoring in similar ages would be best done by Kathy Bates. my casting would have been zach Galifinakis as Bryson Vince Vaughn as Katz and Jennifer Lawrence(or Rebel Wilson) as The Big Mistake (complaining lady).
I'm glad it's getting made either way . it'll be better than that awful Cheryl Strayed crap Reese Witherspoon is going to throw on us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tolowo80
01-21-2014, 16:29
Read the book. Didnt really like it.. but will definitely watch the movie. I like AWOL's book better. Something about the books about the outdoors / mountains written by writers / journalist doesn't sit well. Not authentic.. just my simple review.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

RockDoc
01-21-2014, 16:40
It's an ironical book.

All of Bryson's books are ironical. Read his books about Australia, or the 1950's, or science. He is a master of seeking out the ironical and putting it on parade. If you understand irony as humor, it's hilarious.

Unfortunately, only a fraction of the American public understand irony as humor.

Son Driven
01-21-2014, 16:45
Redford claiming to be an environmentalist, is setting himself, and his legacy up for a PR catastrophe. His last act was to all but destroy America's foot path. For the sake of the AT I hope the movie is a bust. I do not want anything to be a catalyst, that increases the volume of hikers on the AT.

revid
01-21-2014, 17:14
Not sure how you figure that..... It might just be coincidence, but thru hiker numbers started to rise after the book was published in 2008...

It came out in 1998 and yeah the following year saw an increase in hikers.

Ladytrekker
01-23-2014, 07:03
Read that move is suppose to start filming in march of 2014 if it does I wonder how much of it will be filmed on the trail and how will all the film crews and media impact thru hikers. If asked to be on the film whole on trail don't do it for free ha ha get paid

upstream
04-14-2014, 12:41
http://www.accessatlanta.com/weblogs/buzz/2014/mar/31/robert-redford-nick-nolte-movie-film-atlanta-shagg/

It's time for all you Santa's and independently wealthy interns to show your stuff.

Dahoyt
04-15-2014, 18:31
That casting call sounded like a joke. Homeless Santa... Really...

Sarcasm the elf
04-15-2014, 18:43
That casting call sounded like a joke. Homeless Santa... Really...

Actually it kind of sounded like they were describing Bryson.

rafe
04-15-2014, 18:49
Reminds me of someone's description of Jerry Garcia, like a cross between Ho Chi Minh and Santa Claus.

kayak karl
04-15-2014, 19:07
what is, Rate: $140/12 mean?

Wise Old Owl
04-15-2014, 19:52
what is, Rate: $140/12 mean?

You are not getting Sag Rates ... possibly $140 per day for 12 days... Provided your face doesn't get too close to the camera as an extra. Once you are spotted "too often" you are bowed out.

Hope that helps... And yes they are looking for derelict old men Santa types.

rickb
04-15-2014, 21:08
You are not getting Sag Rates ... possibly $140 per day for 12 days... Provided your face doesn't get too close to the camera as an extra. Once you are spotted "too often" you are bowed out.

Hope that helps... And yes they are looking for derelict old men Santa types.

"Will work MANY DAYS. Must be willing to shave beard several times throughout filming for continuity"

Wise Old Owl
04-15-2014, 21:31
"Will work MANY DAYS. Must be willing to shave beard several times throughout filming for continuity"

Dont confuse 12 for "Continuous" its on call.

If its that interesting feel free to sign up... bring your beard.

OK here is my source - my wife she got $60 a day for the "Twelve Monkeys"

12 may mean 12 hour days... in film there tons of sitting around as they set up the next shot.

LuckyMan
04-21-2014, 11:36
It's the worst miscasting since Rosie O'Donnell landed the role of Betty Rubble. If these people were filming "Wild" they'd have cast Joan Crawford instead of Reese Witherspoon.

Astro
04-21-2014, 13:46
It's the worst miscasting since Rosie O'Donnell landed the role of Betty Rubble. If these people were filming "Wild" they'd have cast Joan Crawford instead of Reese Witherspoon.

I agree with that.

Chair-man
04-21-2014, 20:41
Just read this trailjournal entry and it looks like the filming for "A Walk in the Woods" has started.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=451098

Marta
04-21-2014, 23:51
The Hiker Hostel Facebook page said today the Amicalola Falls State Park is closing for two days for use by a private group. Filming?

capehiker
04-22-2014, 05:53
On another Facebook page, Thrus starting their hike were not allowed to have their picture taken at the archway at the falls due to the film crew being there.

RangerZ
04-22-2014, 06:38
Money talks, hikers ... Walk. Wait until they try to close Katahdin, oops I forgot, Bryson never made it there

Offshore
04-22-2014, 08:19

I'll join you in that minority. I liked it several years ago when I first read it. I even held onto my copy for years instead of donating it to the library. When I reread it a year or so ago, I just thought is was a tedious celebration of ineptitude. (I had forgotten that they never actually made it.) I thought that A. Digger Stolz's Stumbling Thru books were far more enjoyable.

Mags
04-22-2014, 10:46
On another Facebook page, Thrus starting their hike were not allowed to have their picture taken at the archway at the falls due to the film crew being there.

Damn. That just ain't right.

Foresight
04-22-2014, 10:49
I thought that A. Digger Stolz's Stumbling Thru books were far more enjoyable.

Indeed. Damn fine reads.

RangerZ
04-22-2014, 12:20
I'll join you in that minority. I liked it several years ago when I first read it. I even held onto my copy for years instead of donating it to the library. When I reread it a year or so ago, I just thought is was a tedious celebration of ineptitude. (I had forgotten that they never actually made it.) I thought that A. Digger Stolz's Stumbling Thru books were far more enjoyable.

Bryson can write, it's just that those here are too close to the topic. Listening to Walk and his other books in the car, I've been laughing so hard that it was dangerous driving.

Nooga
04-23-2014, 15:41
Bryson can write, it's just that those here are too close to the topic. Listening to Walk and his other books in the car, I've been laughing so hard that it was dangerous driving.

Agree………..

BirdShooter
04-28-2014, 21:07
It's been a long time since I read the book, but I don't recall a Civil War scene in it. They are filming this Thursday near Atlanta...

http://www.onlocationvacations.com/2014/04/17/a-walk-in-the-woods-starring-robert-redford-is-looking-for-civil-war-reenactors-in-georgia/

rafe
04-28-2014, 21:50
It's been a long time since I read the book, but I don't recall a Civil War scene in it. They are filming this Thursday near Atlanta...

I'm gonna guess it's a fantasy scene involving one of Bryson's anti-redneck tirades. Or maybe it's background for the Shelton brothers headstones near Flint Mtn. Shelter.

Ghost
04-30-2014, 09:35
[QUOTE=Offshore;1872515] a tedious celebration of ineptitude.
That is a perfect description of the book. I suspect this movie will have the same effect on hiking the AT as A River Runs Through It had on fly fishing. Not good.

Sarcasm the elf
04-30-2014, 09:43
[QUOTE=Offshore;1872515] a tedious celebration of ineptitude.
That is a perfect description of the book. I suspect this movie will have the same effect on hiking the AT as A River Runs Through It had on fly fishing. Not good.

Anything that gets people outdoors and on foot is fine with me. The beauty of backpacking is that the trail is self selecting and doesn't conform to anyone's romantic notions. Let the masses show up if they want, after a couple if days of walking in the rain the yahoos will retreat home to tell everyone how savage the trail is and the ones who fall in love with the trail will likely become passionate hikers and supporters of the A.T. Sounds win-win to me.

mad4scrapping
04-30-2014, 17:53
[QUOTE=Ghost;1874410]

Anything that gets people outdoors and on foot is fine with me. The beauty of backpacking is that the trail is self selecting and doesn't conform to anyone's romantic notions. Let the masses show up if they want, after a couple if days of walking in the rain the yahoos will retreat home to tell everyone how savage the trail is and the ones who fall in love with the trail will likely become passionate hikers and supporters of the A.T. Sounds win-win to me.

So true, so true. Most people I talk to think roughing it is a Motel 6 without cable. Poop in the woods? Are you kidding? But I love it.

Seatbelt
05-01-2014, 13:10
We have a section hike planned 5/22-5/24 from Amicola to Neels Gap. This has been planned for a long time--does anyone know if they are filming there during this time?? Seatbelt

Astro
05-01-2014, 13:45
[QUOTE=Ghost;1874410]

Probably good for gear sales also, which based upon the increased the volume, could also eventually have a positive impact on the existing hikers.

Mags
05-01-2014, 14:24
Just remember folks...

http://www.townsandtrails.com/images/greylock/whiteblaze.jpg

Backpackers who follow white rectangles for 6 mos without knowing how to read map, walk on a well defined trail that can be as much as five miles from a road and have ample guidebooks, logistic support and services are obviously outdoor experts. :P

Chair-man
05-01-2014, 20:37
I found a free online version of the book here. (http://www.epubbud.com/read.php?g=M68STEFJ&p=1) Very entertaining and informative, Mr Bryson obviously did his homework. I'm about a 1/4 of the way through the book.

Mrs Baggins
05-06-2014, 07:57
Saw this on Facebook today, posted by someone else from Bryson's own page:

Emma Thompson Off For A Walk In The Woods
With Nick Offerman and Kristen Schaal
05 May 2014 | Written by James White | Source: Variety

After years of trying to push the idea through the thickets of the development forest, Robert Redford is finally close to turning Bill Bryson’s comic memoir A Walk In The Woods into a film. Emma Thompson, Kristen Schaal and Nick Offerman have now signed on to co-star.
Redford, who had at one point considered picking up the megaphone himself, is instead letting Ken Kwapis handle the directorial chores, with Michael Arndt providing the adaptation. The actor will star in the film alongside Nick Nolte, with the story following their haphazard attempt to walk the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine. The book is entirely hilarious, making this film a likely change from Redford's recent, more serious adventures in All Is Lost.

yushan
06-02-2014, 22:36
In the first paragraph of this article about a new clean energy policy, Redford comments on his new movie...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/02/opinion/redford-curb-coal-emissions/index.html?hpt=hp_t1 (http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/02/opinion/redford-curb-coal-emissions/index.html?hpt=hp_t1)

http://www.onlocationvacations.com/2014/04/17/a-walk-in-the-woods-starring-robert-redford-is-looking-for-civil-war-reenactors-in-georgia/

kf1wv
11-24-2014, 08:00
"Backpackers who follow white rectangles for 6 mos without knowing how to read map, walk on a well defined trail that can be as much as five miles from a road and have ample guidebooks, logistic support and services are obviously outdoor experts. :P"

Perfect, Mags. A keeper.

shelb
11-26-2014, 01:26
In the first paragraph of this article about a new clean energy policy, Redford comments on his new movie...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/02/opinion/redford-curb-coal-emissions/index.html?hpt=hp_t1 (http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/02/opinion/redford-curb-coal-emissions/index.html?hpt=hp_t1)

Ah... More political than about the movie (Note: I am not taking a side...)