PDA

View Full Version : Any Problems Crossing Kennebec River near Caratunk Maine

goedde2
04-04-2013, 18:02
Is a ferry available to make the Kennebec River crossing near Caratunk Maine?

rickb
04-04-2013, 18:55
Is a ferry available to make the Kennebec River crossing near Caratunk Maine?

Check this out.

http://www.matc.org/for-hikers/kennebec-river-ferry/

In addition to logistic info, there are some stats and a story of a recent near drowning.

Chaco Taco
04-04-2013, 18:55
yep................

goedde2
04-04-2013, 22:48
Check this out.

http://www.matc.org/for-hikers/kennebec-river-ferry/

In addition to logistic info, there are some stats and a story of a recent near drowning.
rickb, Thank you sir. Very much appreciated. Heading out first of next week. Thanks again.

rickb
04-05-2013, 03:05
rickb, Thank you sir. Very much appreciated. Heading out first of next week. Thanks again.

I just noted that the dates in that link are for 2012.

they listed a numer you can call though.

peakbagger
04-05-2013, 07:25
Hope you have your snowshoes, still plenty of snow in the woods and this time of year its rotten. Postholing with snowshoes is about as bad as its gets.

fredmugs
04-05-2013, 08:11

Next week? It's not running that soon. Make sure you get something locked down before you get there. The two times I have been across it was walkable but this time of year that water has got to be brutally cold.

goedde2
04-05-2013, 09:38
Next week? It's not running that soon. Make sure you get something locked down before you get there. The two times I have been across it was walkable but this time of year that water has got to be brutally cold.

Hope you have your snowshoes, still plenty of snow in the woods and this time of year its rotten. Postholing with snowshoes is about as bad as its gets.

Sorry, my mistake. I meant heading out next week from Bradenton, FL, nobo. The weather this spring seems to be cold, lots of snow/rain. From what I've heard, lots of early starters have already gotten discouraged and lost interest. I'm pushing the envelope for a later start in hopes of avoiding those issues, and since my hammock is more susceptible to ambient air temps than a tent, which is much warmer, it makes me a bit more cautious. Thanks for the info.

peakbagger
04-05-2013, 12:01
Thanks for the clarification. "Plan on snowshoes" is code for "are you out of your freaking mind to be hiking in Maine in April " :)

Have a fine time on your trip!