PDA

View Full Version : Graduate Research on Hiking the AT

shaman.in.a.yurt
04-04-2013, 19:47
It's that time of year again, many of us are getting a case of Spring-er Fever!!

As many of us reflect back on our past experiences hiking the Trail, why not take a few minutes to share your experiences?

I am conducting research on hiking the Appalachian Trail for my graduate thesis:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5HDZHVP

I appreciate everyone who may be able to take the time to answer my survey!!

Hike on!
Shaman ('11 NOBO)

shaman.in.a.yurt
04-06-2013, 11:33
I went out around the NOC for 2 long trail runs this past week. 1st day was from Nantahala Lake via the Bartram Trail up to Cheoah Bald then SoBo on the AT to the NOC (~27mi in 7hrs). 2nd day was from the NOC SoBo via AT up past Wayah Bald, then back onto the Bartram Trail to drop back down the Nantahala Lake to complete the loop in two days (another 27mi in 8hrs).

It was a great experience to see many places I passed through on my hike in 2011. The 2nd day we saw 100 hikers while on the AT section of the run! Much more crowded out than on my long-hike, since I started in early May...

I even ran into a buddy from my '11 hike, Napalm. He was just South of the NOC!! It's a small world on the AT when you can happen upon someone you haven't seen in years and catch up retelling stories from our adventures!

Bumping this thread up to try and get some responses to my graduate research survey!!!
Thank you to everyone who has already taken the time to reflect on your AT hiking experiences with me!!
~Shaman

Dogwood
04-06-2013, 11:46
"I am conducting research on benefits gained from exposure to nature while
hiking on the Appalachian Trail (AT).

If this is you goal I can't give a higher recommendation than reading Richard Louv's Last Child in the Woods!!!!!!!

alxflwrs
04-06-2013, 12:19
Where do you study? Is that appropriate to ask?

Dogwood
04-06-2013, 12:21
That was a WELL CONSTRUCTED survey! I'm sure you'll get MANY others to take the survey!!! Again, read Last Child in the Woods.

Dogwood
04-06-2013, 12:25
Where do you study? Is that appropriate to ask?

This question is addressed with complete disclosure previous to taking the survey. Just choose to take the survey by choosing the link Shaman(Brandon) provided.

shaman.in.a.yurt
04-06-2013, 16:55
That was a WELL CONSTRUCTED survey! I'm sure you'll get MANY others to take the survey!!! Again, read Last Child in the Woods.

Thanks Dogwood. This has been in the making for some time now. I have read Louv's book and think it's a great way to raise awareness on the benefits of the outdoors, especially regarding today's youth population.

Please reserve any specific questions or comments about my survey's subject matter to PM or email.
My contact information is listed on the 1st page of the survey.

Again, thank you to everyone who has taken the time to respond. Your input is invaluable!

Survey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5HDZHVP

moldy
04-07-2013, 08:59
'PLEASE RESERVE ANY SPECIFIC COMMENTS IN A PM....? Are you kidding me? You posted this on a public webpage. To do so is to invite comment. That is what we do here. Good luck with your homework.

shaman.in.a.yurt
04-09-2013, 10:51
While I obviously have no control over who writes what here, I am simply requesting that out of respect for my research any comments/questions concerning my survey's specific content be directed to me through PM or email as to not directly influence others who may take the survey in the future.

This thread would be a great place to discuss general benefits from hiking the AT, collegiate research methodology, books such as Last Child in the Woods, or similar discussion topics.

That being said: Thank you very much to everyone who has answered my survey! I will be sure and share the results once I finish collecting data and complete my thesis.

Survey Link -----> https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5HDZHVP <-----

nyrslr21
04-09-2013, 12:19
Survey taken, glad to help.

shaman.in.a.yurt
04-11-2013, 20:18
Since I cannot be on the AT all the time, I go trail running most every day.

Today I knew Spring had arrived for sure here in the piedmont of NC. There was a 3-foot copperhead hanging out in the trail! Be on the lookout fellow hikers, I know I've seen several Timber rattlers in the Nantahala National Forest region on the AT later in the year...

Thanks again to all who have taken the time to fill out my survey, bumping this thread up for more responses!!

Survey Link: ----> https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5HDZHVP <----

Venchka
04-12-2013, 15:52

This thread would be a great place to discuss general benefits from hiking the AT, collegiate research methodology, books such as Last Child in the Woods, or similar discussion topics.

Unkind thoughts gobbled up by the Backspace key.

Be safe!

Wayne

double d
04-12-2013, 20:10
Great survery, just took it. Good luck on your Masters Thesis, I wrote mine many years ago, but the learning experience will greatly benefit your graduate educational experience.

shaman.in.a.yurt
04-16-2013, 18:00
Hey thanks, double d!

Bumping this thread back up, my survey will stay open until the end of the day, April 15th (next Thursday).

I greatly appreciate anyone who takes the time to reflect about their AT experience with me! Or who may share this survey with fellow hikers:

SURVEY LINK: ------> https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5HDZHVP <------

shaman.in.a.yurt
04-22-2013, 18:55
Shameless Earth Day bump!

SURVEY LINK: ----> https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5HDZHVP <----

Hope everyone was able to get out on a hike today, or this past weekend! Spring has brought great weather and blooms to the southern portion of the Trail (mainly lower elevations, but it's spreading). I can't wait to get out for the Rodo blooms soon!

My survey will be closing the end of the day this Thursday. Please take the time to share about your experiences on the AT (if you have not already!).

Thanks to everyone for taking my survey and/or putting up with my thread bumps lately ;)

Hike on Blazers!

wookinpanub
04-23-2013, 09:10
I was a Southbound thru-hiker way back in 1990, had a "spiritual awakening" during it which has lasted the rest of my life...........and I head up a corporate Survey Analytics team. You just pitched a fastball right down the middle for me.
Good luck with your studies.