PDA

View Full Version : Insoles?

Chris10
04-04-2013, 21:27
Just wondering in general, how many of you all purchase new insoles for whatever type of hiking shoe you use, or just go with the ones that came with the shoes?

thanks

Mountain Mike
04-04-2013, 21:30
I always buy new ones & throw out the ones they came with. Personally I prefer Spencos.

Swordpen
04-04-2013, 21:33
99.9% of the time, I get new ones immediately, or within 2 weeks.

Tree Nerd
04-04-2013, 21:53
After my shakedown hike I got a pair of superfeet green insoles. I was told they could help with knee issues and since than I haven't had any any problems unless I wear other shoes around. Ill always get insoles now.

The Cleaner
04-04-2013, 21:55
+1 on the Spencos.Some of the newer boots have better insoles lately.Sometimes you can just get by with a half type which just protects the heel area ,where some boots have a slight indentation from the injection mold.I got a heck of a blister right in the middle of one heel from this.That was a tough one under the very thick skin there.Got a half sole insert and no more problem....

RCBear
04-04-2013, 22:45
The guys at the outfitter where I buy my green superfeet cut and shape them for me. The original soles get tossed. Never had a single blister or hot spot since I started using them. Also since I learned the benefit of sizing up on my trail shoes!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Mags
04-05-2013, 00:05
Toss the factory ones and buy new ones.

Yet another article I wrote addressing this issue:
http://www.pmags.com/replacement-insoles-a-simple-change-with-a-big-difference

leaftye
04-05-2013, 00:18
I use the insoles that come with the shoes.

Kookork
04-05-2013, 02:58
Toss the factory ones and buy new ones.

Yet another article I wrote addressing this issue:
http://www.pmags.com/replacement-insoles-a-simple-change-with-a-big-difference

Your article is fantastic and to the point. I really enjoyed reading it Mags. Thank you.

JAK
04-05-2013, 04:55
It depends on the shoe and the insole. Sometimes I hike without insoles. Sometimes I use felt insoles. Sometimes use an insole from another pair, as some are ok. I do like some that you can buy separate but some are way too heavy.

moytoy
04-05-2013, 06:58
Spenco PolySorb Total Support. They are about $30 -$35 depending on where you buy them. These work for me.

Six Steps
04-05-2013, 07:26
After a bout of plantar faciatis I switched to Spencos in all of my shoes and haven't had a problem since.

RF_ace
04-05-2013, 08:16
SOLE brand, been using them for 10 plus years, can find anything that comes close

Meriadoc
04-05-2013, 08:34
Minimalist shoes, sandals, or barefoot. No insoles.

treesloth
04-05-2013, 09:31
+1 on replacing factory insoles. They are not necessarily made to be good to your feet. Seems that most of the people that replied feel the same.

Slo-go'en
04-05-2013, 11:31
I don't understand why they give you such a flimsy insole with a boot which costs so frigg'en much.

One thing I learned to do is to bring a pair of good insoles like superfeet with you when you go to try on boots. The after market insoles are thicker than the stock ones and change the fit of the boot. The boots or shoes might fit great with the stock insole, but be too tight with the after market ones. Some stores will have a selection of sample insoles to put into the boot to try, but don't count on it.

leaftye
04-05-2013, 12:12
We've had threads were quite a few hikers said, and even bragged, about pushing their trail running shoes to and past 500 miles. I don't get how it can be so important to spend $20-30+ on insoles for each pair of shoes, but to resist replacing shoes more frequently. If you need arch support or need an insole to properly locate your heel, then I understand, but it doesn't make sense to me at all if the insoles are used for cushioning as some have said before. When it comes to cushioning, I'd much rather replace shoes more frequently.

leaftye
04-05-2013, 12:15
I don't understand why they give you such a flimsy insole with a boot which costs so frigg'en much.
It sort of makes sense though. Some people aren't going to care what insole is in there. The rest are going to replace it for an insole with different volume, fit, cushioning or because the marketers have convinced them they should.

moytoy
04-05-2013, 12:27
We've had threads were quite a few hikers said, and even bragged, about pushing their trail running shoes to and past 500 miles. I don't get how it can be so important to spend $20-30+ on insoles for each pair of shoes, but to resist replacing shoes more frequently. If you need arch support or need an insole to properly locate your heel, then I understand, but it doesn't make sense to me at all if the insoles are used for cushioning as some have said before. When it comes to cushioning, I'd much rather replace shoes more frequently.
I can wear out two pairs of NB 814's with one set of spenco insoles. Frankly up until about 8 years ago I used whatever came with my boots. Later on in life you may notice some changes in the bottoms of your feed (other places too). My skin is much thinner and less natural padding on the bottom of my feet.

Kerosene
04-05-2013, 12:50
I think it can be a simple decision: If your feet (or knees or back) are sore while you're walking after 10-12 miles of trail walking then you probably would benefit from at least the heat-molded insoles. 90% of the population (okay, a large percentage) would benefit from better insoles.

As for the comment about why they use such cheap insoles in an expensive boot, part of the reason is that a more expensive insole won't necessarily be the right insole for all people, so don't spend very much on that component if it can be easily replaced. It would be a good idea for boot companies to suggest that option more directly.

Derf
04-05-2013, 12:57
Have plantar faciatis soon as I get new boots or shoes the inserts come out sole's go in.

Kookork
04-05-2013, 18:11
So could somebody please tell me what is the disadvantages of using Insole ?

If insoles are all good( which I think they are) why every hiker is not using them. It seems a very solid investment for hikers to avoid injuries and pain and blisters by spending 20 to 40 extra dollars .

Wise Old Owl
04-05-2013, 20:21
My Podiatrist recommended Powerstep - I did start with Spenco - he switched me and I won't go back

Tree Nerd
04-06-2013, 01:03
So could somebody please tell me what is the disadvantages of using Insole ?

If insoles are all good( which I think they are) why every hiker is not using them. It seems a very solid investment for hikers to avoid injuries and pain and blisters by spending 20 to 40 extra dollars .

Every person is made differently, including their feet. Some people do just fine with the manufacturers insoles. Only replace the insole if your finding problems with your feet, knees, back, etc. In my case, I found that I needed something with more arch support to prevent knee pain so I got new insoles. The only way to tell if you need something different is through trial and error. Go hike some long distance days with your manufacturer insoles, if you have problems (with the above issues), try changing insoles before you change shoes or go to the doc.; $30-50 insoles are a hell of a lot cheaper than new shoes or a doc. visit.

rusty bumper
04-06-2013, 09:11
I've owned 4 pair of Merrell Moab hiking shoes in the past 2 years. For every pair I've immediately tossed the Merrell insoles and replaced them with Dr. Scholls Gel Sport insoles. The Dr. Scholls insoles have worked perfectly for me, and are available at just about any drugstore along the AT for around $18.

Kookork
04-06-2013, 10:00
Every person is made differently, including their feet. Some people do just fine with the manufacturers insoles. Only replace the insole if your finding problems with your feet, knees, back, etc. In my case, I found that I needed something with more arch support to prevent knee pain so I got new insoles. The only way to tell if you need something different is through trial and error. Go hike some long distance days with your manufacturer insoles, if you have problems (with the above issues), try changing insoles before you change shoes or go to the doc.; $30-50 insoles are a hell of a lot cheaper than new shoes or a doc. visit.

That is the whole point. I am sure some do just fine with manufacturer insoles but sometimes doing just fine does not cut it. In a thru hike any weakness in body or gear or approach or attitude or mentality would be exposed and exaggerated and then sometimes it is too late to address the issue after the fact.

Kookork
04-06-2013, 10:11
Has anybody used this magnetic insoles?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-1Pair-Shoe-Gel-Insoles-Magnetic-Massage-Foot-Health-Care-Pain-Relief-Therapy-/251116801605?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var&hash=item3a77ba4e45&_uhb=1#ht_3272wt_1271

Once I had a pair but never used them but my brother started to use them and he gave me a very good feedback about them. I think there should be some benefits using them.

MuddyWaters
04-06-2013, 11:42
Most shoes are poorly designed for the foot, and for walking, and for running
Peoples feet vary considerably, at best any shoe design is a compromise

Your foot adapts to whatever you wear, it actually changes your foot, and the way you walk
Most peoples feet and natural biomechanics are already compromised from a lifetime of wearing really poor shoes
Joint alignment from the ankles, to the knees, to the hips, and even back, are affected

Depending on how F'd up your feet and body is already, some things can help put things back in alignment.

This isnt about the foot, its about the whole body

Some benefit from the hard plastic arch in the superfeet insoles
Other people just want some underfoot cusioning
Other people just want something that makes their foot more stable in the shoe, and move around less

lots of different needs, reasons.
Know what yours is before you start wasting money on insoles thinking they are a must

redseal
04-06-2013, 15:14
I buy new soles immediately. Usually the green Superfeet.

DavidNH
04-06-2013, 17:43
always throw out the insoles that come with new boots. They are useless.

I'd recommend replacing with Spenco or shock blockers.

Tree Nerd
04-06-2013, 18:42
Chris10 and everyone else, Im sure you know this, but take what poeple say with a grain of salt. Below for instance.....

always throw out the insoles that come with new boots. They are useless.

I'd recommend replacing with Spenco or shock blockers.

Stick to what MuddyWaters said here, "This isnt about the foot, its about the whole body......lots of different needs, reasons.
Know what yours is before you start wasting money on insoles thinking they are a must".

Again, my problem was low arches causing knee issues......I found that superfeet green worked well to fix that problem. ID your problem then go from there, search the interwebs and forums (many others, not just this one). Eventually you will find a good insole to suit your needs and possibly fix the problems your having; luckily, I got it on the first try.

MuddyWaters
04-06-2013, 20:39
Personally, I have hard plastic orthotics that cover the rearmost 2/3 of my foot
I wear them in every pair of shoes, every day, for last ~ 20 yrs
My feet are molded to the orthotics.
I got these because my arches had fallen, I had plantar fasciatis
Got them fitted to me by a guy that did it for lots of pro athletes to increase their balance and performance, and put joints back into proper alignment.

It took weeks to be tolerable to wear more than 30 min. It felt like golfballs under my feet. About 6 months for my feet to totally mold to the orthotic, and put arch back into my foot, where I felt no discomfort after wearing all day.

I remember vividly, not being able to wear my $$$ cowboy boots because it hurt my arches after they collapsed
I remember my $$$ custom footbeds in my $$$$ ski boots hurting my arches after they collapsed

All problems solved after a few months with the orthotics.

Happy feet ever since. Every pair of shoes fits the exactly the same way
No blisters, no problems.I can feel the edge under the middle of my foot. Doesnt matter. No blisters, no problems.
I just slide them into shoes, on top of the insole thats there.

Now and then there will be a pair of shoes I try on that just doesnt work with them, too narrow at arch, too much arch built in, but thats not common.

This is basically what will happen to you with hard inserts like superfeet. Your feet will shape to them, then every pair you put on, will fit the same.

I had intermittent plantar fasciatis from age 18-22, then when I was lifting really heavy weights, it got so bad I couldnt take a step in the morning when I got out of bed.

Not one bout of it since I got the orthotics. 20+ yrs pain free.

Tree Nerd
04-07-2013, 11:00
Yeah, forgot to mention, depending on what insole your using it will take awhile to get use to. Like MuddyWater said, your feet will have to form to them and it hurts for while. When I was trying to find insoles I heard of many people giving up on insoles before their foot got use to it because they thought everything is suppose to be better immediately and didn't realize that their foot has to adapt to it.

Chris10
04-07-2013, 18:11
Just a year or two shy of 50, I totally understand replacing the insoles for medical reasons/injury prevention, but what about teens, and say those in their 20's. would they still need insoles for comfort, or are the manufactor's fine?

Crusinsusan
04-07-2013, 18:20
Hmm....I've just been putting insoles right over the standard ones. Is there an advantage to removing the stock insoles?

Chris10
04-07-2013, 18:36
TreeNerd, great advice!

Thanks

calihoofer
04-08-2013, 18:20
I always use "after market" insoles - Cadence insoles. The best combination of support and comfort on the market and I have tried them all! I use them in all my shoes, hiking, running, working, etc. Not because I have a pain or foot problems but because they feel great, fit my foot perfectly and I can stand or walk longer without the little aches and soreness that comes from being on my feet so much.

jbwood5
04-08-2013, 18:40
For years I used the factory insoles that came with the boots or shoes. Then I switched to Spencos which helped relieve a minor knee ache and in recent years I switched to the Montrail Moldable (thermo mold) insoles to try and help cure a bad case of plantar faciitis. I'm about 70% better after a year. I can't say if the improvement is due to the insoles or time, but the problem is continuing to get better. I could never go back to the factory generics.
My podiatrist looked at the moldable Montrails and said he doubted that he could make a better custom insole for me.

Tinker
04-08-2013, 20:35
My Podiatrist recommended Powerstep - I did start with Spenco - he switched me and I won't go back

I started with Superfeet (after I lost my custom orthotics in a move), and was happy with them until I got a pair of Chaco boots (they only make sandals now) which came with two pair of fantastic orthotics. After I wore them out I went back to Superfeet, buying a new pair of orange ones (my feet are very flat, plus I appreciate the extra padding). I never felt comfortable with them after using the Chaco inserts.
I had been having pain between the first and second metatarsal, so I went to a podiatrist who suggested that I try Powerstep insoles, which I did.
They are superior to the Superfeet (for my foot type, ymmv).
I wore them out and had to switch back to the Superfeet for my Md. hike a couple of weeks ago.
I didn't have any foot pain, per se, but I felt that the arch was too far back.
I've been wearing the Superfeet at work - can't stand them for my job, which involves standing in one place for long periods of time (I only sit down for lunch).
I will be buying a new pair of Powerstep insoles when I get my next check.

http://www.powersteps.com/consumer_products

MuddyWaters
04-08-2013, 20:42
For years I used the factory insoles that came with the boots or shoes. Then I switched to Spencos which helped relieve a minor knee ache and in recent years I switched to the Montrail Moldable (thermo mold) insoles to try and help cure a bad case of plantar faciitis. I'm about 70% better after a year. I can't say if the improvement is due to the insoles or time, but the problem is continuing to get better. I could never go back to the factory generics.
My podiatrist looked at the moldable Montrails and said he doubted that he could make a better custom insole for me.

Please explain logic behind making a mold of a bad foot, and how that might fix the foot that way.
It would prevent it from getting worse possibly.

Crusinsusan
04-08-2013, 21:14
Really! Really! Have I been screwing up? Should I be removing the stock insoles?? Somebody?

Meriadoc
04-08-2013, 21:21
Just a year or two shy of 50, I totally understand replacing the insoles for medical reasons/injury prevention, but what about teens, and say those in their 20's. would they still need insoles for comfort, or are the manufactor's fine?

I would go farther and go barefoot to teach proper foot strike and build up the foot's supporting muscles. Gradually of course. Minimalist shoes can help.

Starting from an uninjured foot with no other issues, I want to make it strong by using its muscles. I don't want to immobilize it in a shoe with rigid supports that take the place of muscles.

I've used factory insoles, Super Feet, and various SOLE inserts. I am 27 and I retrained my feet to work with no support over the past year and a half. My feet are stronger and everything about my hiking (and running) form is drastically improved. It still remains a work in progress of course. :)

AndrewAZ
08-14-2013, 13:55
I've used factory insoles, Super Feet, and various SOLE inserts. I am 27 and I retrained my feet to work with no support over the past year and a half. My feet are stronger and everything about my hiking (and running) form is drastically improved. It still remains a work in progress of course. :)

I think I'm going to work on a plan like that. I used green Superfeet while hiking the Arizona Trail in Inov-8 Roclite 330s. Never again! I had blisters the entire time because the insoles lifted my feet too much and made them rub in strange places, and it's not clear whether the support made any difference. I wore my last pair of 330s on the first half of the Colorado Trail and used the factory insoles with no foot problems at all.

beansong
05-12-2016, 07:34
There's no rule. Based on reviews and comments, most people using aftermarket insoles seem to remove the stock insoles. Other buyers just add their preferred insole and don't remove the stock insole.

One effect of having two insoles is that it will elevate your heel higher than one insole, which is not as healthy, but it may not be a problem for you. Each body is unique. (I personally prefer little to no drop between the heel and the rest of the foot, because it makes my knees and back happier. YMMV.)

Most shoes seem to fit best with only one insole, though there is pretty much infinite variety when you combine the thickness of different insoles and the fit of different shoes.

I hope you find this helpful.

beansong
05-12-2016, 07:37
Really! Really! Have I been screwing up? Should I be removing the stock insoles?? Somebody?

Please see my previous comment.

rocketsocks
05-13-2016, 00:04
Now I would not purport to know what feels good on the underside of her highness's feet's, but I haven't worn stock insoles since about nineteen hundred & eighty four.