PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight PCT thru-hikers - What pack did you use?

Luddite
04-05-2013, 00:30
I'm trying to figure out how UL hikers manage to have such light packs, some even frameless and without hip belts. Hiking those long waterless stretches require you to carry a lot of water and these UL packs just aren't able to carry that much weight. I have a ULA Ohm, but am starting to doubt it would be suitable for a PCT thru.

Which pack did you use?

10-K
04-05-2013, 06:37
I'm planning on using my Gossamer Gorilla from Campo to Kennedy Meadows and probably my ULA Catalyst the rest of the way.

Hopefully I'm on the right track.

trovar
04-05-2013, 09:14
The key to comfort with frameless packs is having a low baseweight (mine was 6 lbs) and I found my MLD Prophet to be comfortable up to around 25 lbs. I only had to carry so much weight once the entire trip in the Sierras, so a few days of discomfort was worth the considerable weight savings. Higher daily averages also allows you to carry less food and water; an Ohm could be more than enough depending on how bulky your items are.

garlic08
04-05-2013, 09:28
I used a 16 oz frameless pack (no longer made) on the PCT and it handled the stuff I needed for the Sierra, including bear cannister, (also around 25 pounds total) just fine. ULA packs were most common when I hiked, and they could carry much more than I ever did.

Luddite
04-05-2013, 12:57
I think my base weight is just under 9 pounds, and that's with rain gear and I have a few things I could replace to make it a little lighter. Will it even rain the first 650 or so miles in the desert? Even if I had to carry a gallon of water I think I'd be alright with weight and bulk.

It's a year away, I've got time to figure it out.

10-K, are you going this year?

BrianLe
04-05-2013, 12:57
Not to be a nit-picker (okay, maybe to BE a nit-picker to some degree) but I've encountered very very few ultralight PCT thru-hikers. Or any other trail ultralight thru-hikers. There certainly are some (sounds like to include in the above responses), but FWIW I think they're rare birds among thru-hikers. Practically speaking folks seem to find a balance of cost and comfort and safety and personal preference generally somewhere above a base weight of 10 pounds.

Certainly compared to the average hiker we encounter on the trail we might be inaccurately described as "ultralighters". My typical base weight is in the mid-teens, I've never been ultralight in my life and don't expect that I will. But people on the trail often refer to me as an ultralighter as my pack is obviously a lot smaller than theirs.

Apologies if you (OP) meant the term "ultralight" in a more generic sense and not in the specific meaning of the word.

W.r.t. the actual question, I used a Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus on the PCT, and found the biggest challenge wasn't "the desert", but rather the Sierras (bear can, ice axe, add a tent and a few clothes).
The GG pack was okay but somewhat stressed in the Sierras. If doing it again I'd use my ULA Circuit.

Luddite
04-05-2013, 13:22
W.r.t. the actual question, I used a Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus on the PCT, and found the biggest challenge wasn't "the desert", but rather the Sierras (bear can, ice axe, add a tent and a few clothes).
The GG pack was okay but somewhat stressed in the Sierras. If doing it again I'd use my ULA Circuit.

Did you hike with a tent the whole way? If I do get a bigger pack I'm definitely going with a Circuit. I'm thinking about using a tarp until Kennedy Meadows and then doing a tarp/bivy combination. Or maybe a tarptent? Uggh, I just want to get all gear stuff out of the way early so I can just think about my hike!

brian039
04-05-2013, 13:31
Not to be a nit-picker (okay, maybe to BE a nit-picker to some degree) but I've encountered very very few ultralight PCT thru-hikers. Or any other trail ultralight thru-hikers. There certainly are some (sounds like to include in the above responses), but FWIW I think they're rare birds among thru-hikers.

Right on, I'd say maybe 10% of thru-hikers are ultra-light. I met a handful on the AT and one on the Colorado Trail. I met a lot on the AT that started out UL but I either never saw them or heard from them in the registers again or they decided they needed more stuff. I think a lot of people start out with the idea they are going ultra light then figure out they'd get a better night's sleep with a tent and a thicker sleeping pad, etc. So they pick up weight along the way.

BrianLe
04-06-2013, 12:38
"Did you hike with a tent the whole way?"

I used a poncho tarp as both rain gear and shelter for the first ~700 miles, and I'd go that route again. Most nights in SoCal you sleep under the stars, but you do need the capability to deal with rain if it occurs.
I picked up a tarptent at Kennedy Meadows and for most of the rest of CA and OR it was more useful as bug protection than shelter from the elements. YMMV of course, but for the most part the PCT can be a pretty rain-free experience (my state of WA sometimes being a notable exception).

Miner
04-06-2013, 14:58
Looking back, I could have hiked the entire PCT with my ULA CDT (frameless) pack instead of my ULA Circuit that I actually used. I had originally thought about swapping to it in Lake Tahoe but decided at the time to stay with what worked thus far. I orignally went with the Circuit because of concerns of water weight in Socal and the bearcan in the Sierra. But it wasnt as bad as I had feared.

Note: It does rain in SoCal and has even snow at times in spring, so you need somesort of raingear and shelter for the entire trail. The tail there isn't all desert and goes over some pretty big mountains; hits 9000ft twice. I used a cuben fiber tarp + bivy sack that weighed under a pound for the entire trail. I always had my 8oz rain jacket.

In Socal, I normally carried no more then 4.5L of water in 2009. But that water weight isn't carried all day since you are constantly drinking it. So you are only feeling the extra weight for a short while. If you can avoid hiking in the heat of the day and can find some shade, you'll actually need to drink less water. I often got moving at first light and hiked late into the evening after napping during the middle of the day. Cowboy camping allows you to pack up quickly inthe morning. The bearcan would be the only issue. I can barely fit mine inside my CDT pack after having to move some of my gear to the outside mesh pockets. I have to stop using stuff sacks to organize my gear and stuff it loose around the can to make things fit. It isn't completely compfortable, but not bad enough that I don't mind hiking all day with it which I have done on a few shorter trips to the Sierra. The circuit definitely carries it more comfortable. Other hikers with small packs tie the bearcan to the top of the pack where its topheavy. Not ideal but some people are willing to put up with it for 2 weeks on a pct thru-hike. With proper planning, you shouldn't have to carry more then 6-7 days of food, normally less. Some people choose to go 10+ days straight through the High Sierra, but that isnt required.

If you have your baseweight under 10lbs, a frameless pack is possible. And the Ohm is actually a bit better then a frameless pack. Since you already have your pack, pack it up how you think you'll do so for the PCT, add some extra water and try it out on a weekend.

Dogwood
04-07-2013, 00:25
Started with a GoLite Jam 2 and switched to a ULA Conduit now the ULA CDT. Never looked back. The ULA CDT is currently my go to thru-hiking pack! In short, the Conduit/CDT carried wt better because it has better wt transfer through to the hips, IMO, a slightly better shoulder harness, is a couple of ozs lighter, has stock hip belt pockets(the Jam 2 does not), is a bit more durable, and to boot I get almost 200 more cubes with the ULA CDT. It was a good decision on my part to switch. In all fairness to GoLite, they made some recent pts with me lately with some of their recent biz decisions and gear design goals, especially in apparel.

I've seen maybe 3 perhaps 4 PCTers total over 5 yrs watching PCT thru-hikers and PCT long section hikers that have base wts and total loads low enough or are strong enough to be able to employ a non waist belt/hip belt backpack COMFORTABLY. I've seen several more try and they or their loads weren't compatable for a non waist belt/hip belt backpack. Basically, with these type packs virtually all the wt is carried on the shoulders which is just the reverse of the commonly held idea that most of the wt should be carried by/on the hips. IMO, some of these type of things happen because those on a run away UL freight train just have TO KEEP finding ways to squeeze out another few ozs. It's like an addiction! And, it can lead to problems.

PCTers overwhelmingly tend to have a previous long distance thru-hike under their belt or are generally more experienced backpackers. As such, they have learned what hiking styles suit them the best, are more knowledgable about gear, what gear is compatable with their hiking styles, have a better understanding of their skill levels, and/or know when it's wise to go lighter and when to go slightly heavier, and know how to and can ratchet up the pace and/or miles per day. PCTers are generally hikers who know hiking, and specifically long distance hiking, is for them. IMHO, these are some of the main reasons why the drop out rate for thru-hikers on the PCT is much lower than say the AT. The CDT drop out rate is lower than the AT dropout rate for some of these same reasons.

As far as frameless packs, know that even though they don't per say come with stock framesheets or internal frames they can have virtual framesheets which is what I have for the ULA CDT. My folded slightly inflated inflatable sleep pad such as a Neo Air Shortie functions as my virtual frame/framesheet. This works for me since I heavily use UL techniques for my hiking style and UL hiking goals. My pad is doing double duty. This works FOR ME because I have UL compact(low volume) gear basically yr round. As another example, some hikers create a virtual frame by employing the burrito method where a sleep pad is rolled up and placed into the pack. Inside the loosely rolled up pad, resembling a burrito, all the other gear goes thereby stiffening up the pack, hopefully sufficiently enough, to carry the load.

I find no two ULers are exactly the same in terms of skill, experience, kit, etc so there are basically an infinite number of kit set ups, hiking styles, and hiking philosophies that can work. You got to find what works FOR YOU.

BTW, these types of thoughts, "I have a ULA Ohm, but am starting to doubt it would be suitable for a PCT thru" go through MANY a PCTers minds. Lots of things can play into exactly how much water one needs to carry at various times. Remember, from Campo to KM, many a PCTers find they can go VERY light to very UL in terms of gear needs so that helps many offset the water wt. They often do this by going with UL tents or tarps as shelters(I, for example set up my UL 7 oz Spinnaker tarp one time between Campo and KM and a total of 4 times the entire PCT, the weather was cooperative, I cowboyed virtually always), take UL insulating apparel(my main torso insulating piece was a MontBell Thermawrap Vest), have a UL system that meets their needs for warmth or body protection(some just go with a flimsy UL 3 oz or so wind jacket instead of a heavier rain jacket), a summer sleeping bag(I used a WM 17 oz in LONG HIGHLITE down bag), etc. Don't lose sight that all this snowballs into needing a lower volume, and hopefully a lower wt, pack. With UL trail runners, fair weather, and all this other snowbaling going on it can make for light, fast, and far hiking days. But it depends on how you roll and what you are comfortable with. When you get to/near KM the water is far less scarce. But then the need for warmer clothing and perhaps things like a heavier sleeping bag, ice axe, micro spikes, etc can get thrown into the mix.

I would recommend a PCTer go to the Kick Off because you'll find alot of well experienced well informed people who can give advice on issues like this. *AND, in order to limit unnecessary extra water wt hauling I WOULD DEFINITELY ADVISE a PCTer get regular up to date PCT water reports. They are given out at the KO and you'll find water availability info at the PCT website. At the KO, just like on the AT, you'll learn how different hikers approach the same issues helping you to advance as a hiker. And, NEVER NEVER FORGET hiking is more than gear! What happens between the ears plays a VITAL part!

Keep at it Luddite. Keep working at it until you find what's right FOR YOU. It sounds like you'll be fine. Also, know that you DO NOT need to know everything about hiking the PCT to hike the PCT! Way too many new to hiking ATers get caught up with this notion with the MOUNDS of data and over analyzing of the AT. I've seen wanna thru-hike the ATers burnt out like deer caught frozen in the headlights pre-hike BEFORE they even get on the damn trail with all their planning and having to sort through ALL the DAMN opinions and AT data and gear talk. IMO, adaptation and flexibility are key factors in the ability to complete a thru-hike. No matter how much one plans or what one knows unexpected unplanned for things are going to happen in life and on a thru-hike. Sometimes, being able to HAPPILY GO WITH THE FLOW is NECESSARY.

I'm REALLY feeling the need for a thru-hike now. OHHH, how I want to get on a plane to San Diego right now and be on the PCT tomorrow.

Malto
04-07-2013, 08:24
I'm trying to figure out how UL hikers manage to have such light packs, some even frameless and without hip belts. Hiking those long waterless stretches require you to carry a lot of water and these UL packs just aren't able to carry that much weight. I have a ULA Ohm, but am starting to doubt it would be suitable for a PCT thru.

Which pack did you use?

I hiked the PCT with an 8 lb base weight. I had a sub 1 lb MLD Burn and used a CF tarp, bivy, inflatable pad and a 20 deg quilt. My only other gear (except Sierra) was a 850 ml cook pot with a trail designs caldera stove inside. I normally wore a long sleeve shirt and long pant and my extra clothes consisted of a lightweight down jacket a windshirt, glove liners, shorts, winshirt and short sleeve shirt and two pairs of extra socks. So gear was minimized, very lightweight but more important low volume.

I used my hip belt in fact quite a bit. I made four hip belt pouches that could each hold a 32oz gatoraid bottle or food. Generally I loaded up two bottles and had two pouches for food. In SoCal I also carried two 1 liter platypus flexible bottles giving me a total water capacity of four liters. When I left Campo my pack weighed 24 lb and there was 8 lbs of gear, 8 lbs of food and 8 lbs of water. As earlier mentioned watch the water reports, I could have easily have dropped 4 lbs of water at the start.... I learned.

My hike was a bit different than most. It had a very tight 100 day window so my start was May 25th and my finish ended up being August 27th. Why is this significant? First, I cherry picked the weather. Generally the rain is earlier in SOCal and later in Wa than my window. (For this I looked at many years of climate data). Because of this I only had rain gear for part of Wa and only set up my tarp three nights. Second, I averaged over 30mpd on full days so my average food weight per day was a bit more than most. I generally had a resupply about every three days but I had a couple of five day carries and a seven day carry going into the Sierra. What this meant was that 2/3rds of my pack volume was made up of food, something that rarely gets talked about in respect to pack sizing.

I was incredibly diligent in getting my pack weight down to these levels, it was critical to being able to do my hike. But more importantly I also had many years of hiking experience much of identical to the style of my trip with most of it in the Sierra. I believe experience is the key to being able to make much of the UL gear work effectively. Good luck on your hike.

frisbeefreek
04-08-2013, 00:36
I think the Ohm will be too small for a bear canister + gear in the Sierra's. I used a ULA Circuit and it was a tight fit. Base weight was 12lbs. I met a lot of people who were miserable with their frameless packs.

The big issue is that there are spots where you have to carry 6-7 days of food (15-18lbs) + 4-5liters of water (out of Mojave if you skip Onyx is an example). This can be a crushing amount without a good frame. If you are hiking big miles (like at the end of the trail) or more willing to resupply at less convenient places, then your food needs are less.

Luddite
04-09-2013, 14:56
I really wish ULA would make something in between the Ohm and the Circuit.

Anyone have experience with the GG Mariposa Ulralight pack on a PCT thru?

Dogwood
04-09-2013, 15:39
I really wish ULA would make something in between the Ohm and the Circuit......

In what regards? That's already a rather narrow margin between the OHM and Circuit in terms of volume which is one of the main or basic ways in which packs are differentiated. 3960 cubes compared to 4200 cubes. You want to pigeon hole a pack with a volume in between those two you are almopst for sure going to have to go outside ULA to find it.

Luddite
04-09-2013, 15:50
I meant in regards to weight. I don't have a circuit in front of me right now, but there has to be to shed some weight from it.

Luddite
04-09-2013, 15:53
Nevermind. I just looked at the specs and the Circuit is only 10oz heavier. Maybe I'll just go with a Circuit and and quit carrying a water filter to make up the difference.

Dogwood
04-09-2013, 16:04
I'm a Landscape Architect and Horticulturalist. When I seek a plant such as a ground cover, shrub, or tree for a specific spot to do a specific thing to have specific traits there's software where I can punch in all my desired traits for this plant and the software pumps out 3, 4. or 5 suitable plant options. I'd like to see that kind of app for hiking gear. Be nice wouldn't it? These apps are already in use in some other sports/activities. Calling all computer geek entrepreneurs. with knowledge of hiking gear. (http://www.bing.com/search?q=entrepreneurs&FORM=AWRE)

Even though you might already be aware of this sometimes we still need to be reminded of it. Watch your priorities. The wt of a backpack is ONLY ONE of possibly many backpack traits that can be a priority hen opting for a backpack.:D

Dogwood
04-09-2013, 16:06
I suspect you''ll be fine Luddite. Don't need the supposed PCT Holy Grail of kits to hike the PCT either.

Dogwood
04-09-2013, 16:16
Nevermind. I just looked at the specs and the Circuit is only 10oz heavier. Maybe I'll just go with a Circuit and and quit carrying a water filter to make up the difference.

Not saying that trade off is right FOR YOU but the principle of trading off wt like that sure can be. Just go with AM to purify and Circuit and it's close to being a wash in wt compared with the filter and Ohm. I do that on a regular basis with all sorts of categories with hiking gear. It's a prime principle in UL philosophy.

Luddite
04-09-2013, 17:22
I'd like to see that kind of app for hiking gear. Be nice wouldn't it? These apps are already in use in some other sports/activities. Calling all computer geek entrepreneurs. with knowledge of hiking gear. (http://www.bing.com/search?q=entrepreneurs&FORM=AWRE)

Not a bad idea.

And you're right, I don't need the perfect kit, but I'd like to get this gear stuff out of the way. I have read people talking about having ULA custom make an Ohm-Circuit hybrid, but others say ULA doesn't do custom orders. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I should probably be worrying about more important stuff, like how I'm going to come up with the money for a thru hike!

fireneck
04-10-2013, 22:51

Drop 4 oz from the ULA Catalyst in 5 minutes (http://andrewskurka.com/2012/ula-catalyst-modifications/) -- Skurka

This applied to a Circuit as well. What filter do you carry, classic pump filter? I recommend an inline sawyer filter only 3oz. for the filter. Pretty solid I have 1,000+ miles on mine.

Luddite
04-12-2013, 19:40
I've considered using one of those Sawyer filters but there was a reason why I chose not to, but I can't remember. I really hate AM...HATE it.