PDA

View Full Version : closest shelter to a road in Shenandoah

Darwin13
04-05-2013, 11:48
Wondering if anyone has info on whether there was a hut close to skyline drive (within a mile of 2) that could be walked from skyline drive to the shelter. Friend of mine has a sleeping bag ad pa but no pack to carry them so if he wants to stay out he would have to be able to carry those thins in his hands to the shelter. Any suggestions?

Sugarfoot
04-05-2013, 12:40
Gravel Springs is just a few 10ths east of the Skyline Drive, either by following the AT or a fire road. A reservation would be needed since one night doesn't qualify as a thru-hike of the Park.

Coffee
04-05-2013, 12:45
I plan to visit Byrds Nest #3 soon, maybe not for an overnight but to take a look. It is close to Skyline drive and was recently converted to an overnight shelter. It looks nice and has a fireplace. According to my 2012 AT Guide to Shenandoah, it is only a 0.3 mile walk to Skyline drive along a fire road.

Jack Tarlin
04-05-2013, 14:26
My favorite Hut in SNP is Pinefield at mile mark 75.2 on Skyline Drive. The Hut, with great camping, is perhaps two minutes from the road.

johnnybgood
04-05-2013, 17:00
Pinefield is a 600 yd flat walk (5 minutes tops) from the Skyline Drive

This too is my favorite shelter to base camp.from due to it 's easy accessability

SCRUB HIKER
04-05-2013, 18:49
Blackrock Hut is half-mile in, and then a few tenths off the AT from Skyline Drive. It was not my favorite shelter on the trail, for reasons that may or may not still be an issue--the water source was literally a drip, it was crowded (20 miles from Waynesboro, so a popular target for thru-hikers) and tenting was limited, and the world's loudest whippoorwill terrorized us all night. But catch it on the right day and I'm sure it could really work out well for you guys.

mikec
04-05-2013, 20:56
Gravel Springs is just a few 10ths east of the Skyline Drive, either by following the AT or a fire road. A reservation would be needed since one night doesn't qualify as a thru-hike of the Park.

I think that you are getting SNP confused with GSMNP. You need a (free at this point) back country permit but no reservation for huts in SNP.

johnnybgood
04-06-2013, 09:49

I think that you are getting SNP confused with GSMNP. You need a (free at this point) back country permit but no reservation for huts in SNP.

There is a Gravel Springs Hut in SNP, but you need no reservation regardless of thru hiker season or not . It's on a first come basis.
Free backcountry registration needed.

Southerner
04-06-2013, 10:12
There are signs posted at many of the huts (maybe all -- I didn't visit them all on my trip last year) saying that the huts can only be used by long-distance backpackers out for three or more consecutive nights. I am not sure how often that policy is enforced, and anyone aware of it could just be dishonest on their self-registration permit, which I am guessing would be how the rangers would check. But, the policy is out there. It might be worth calling the park for clarification.

DavidNH
04-06-2013, 10:17
why don't you have your rent a pack?? It's ridiculous to carry in one's hands a sleeping bag or other stuff a mile or even 1/2 a mile to a shelter. Borrow or rent a pack and pack it in!

johnnybgood
04-06-2013, 10:42
There are signs posted at many of the huts (maybe all -- I didn't visit them all on my trip last year) saying that the huts can only be used by long-distance backpackers out for three or more consecutive nights. I am not sure how often that policy is enforced, and anyone aware of it could just be dishonest on their self-registration permit, which I am guessing would be how the rangers would check. But, the policy is out there. It might be worth calling the park for clarification.

The park rangers don't enforce that, at least I've never seen it. Thru hikers should carry a shelter if they intend on hiking 2000 miles.

Personally, I avoid sleeping in shelters and I always carry my own.

Pedaling Fool
04-06-2013, 10:49
Wondering if anyone has info on whether there was a hut close to skyline drive (within a mile of 2) that could be walked from skyline drive to the shelter. Friend of mine has a sleeping bag ad pa but no pack to carry them so if he wants to stay out he would have to be able to carry those thins in his hands to the shelter. Any suggestions?Don't you have a guide/map? Basically, they're all pretty close to Skyline Drive, just take your pick.

There are signs posted at many of the huts (maybe all -- I didn't visit them all on my trip last year) saying that the huts can only be used by long-distance backpackers out for three or more consecutive nights. I am not sure how often that policy is enforced, and anyone aware of it could just be dishonest on their self-registration permit, which I am guessing would be how the rangers would check. But, the policy is out there. It might be worth calling the park for clarification.They really don't enforce that "rule". On more than one occasion I've seen squatters at one of the huts. I remember seeing a whole family, with a "wolf", so said the head of the family, at Pass Mountain Hut.

BillyGr
04-06-2013, 20:23
Do you (or maybe someone you or your friend know) have an old bag, like something you might have used to carry to school?

Even that could work for a short trip like you mention - would still be easier than carrying it, at least I'd think.

WingedMonkey
04-06-2013, 21:50
There are several places in Shenandoah where you can walk in with your sleeping bag.

They're called campgrounds.

:D