PDA

View Full Version : SOBO Gear questions

wesleygalles
04-05-2013, 20:02
So I'm looking at doing this hike as minimalist as possible. I barely want to stay in a hotel or hostel at all. In fact, if I can avoid them altogether I want to. I regularly spend days at a time in the woods just for fun, and honestly, I'm more comfortable there than in my bed. This being said, I don't want to carry much either. Here's a tentative list of what I'm carrying and a few things I still need to buy. I'd appreciate any and all feedback, thanks so much, Whiteblaze. =D

Current gear:

Hennessey Hammock Expedition
Marmot Sawtooth
Sleeping Pad
REI Backpack
First Aid Kit
Knife
2 mini lighters
3 liter camelbak
100 ft. paracord
Spork
Nike shoes
Beanie

Items needed to be bought:
Hiking shorts
Polyester shirt
good hiking socks (suggestions welcome here)
hiking undies (Also open to suggestions here)
MSR pocket rocket stove + fuel
Cooking cup
Flashlight
Gloves
Toiletries (soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, etc)
Pack cover
flip flops
aqua mira
bug spray

I really can't think of much else, but I just want to keep it as as simple as possible. I'll be carrying a simple go phone of some sort and maybe something to snap some photos on, but I really don't want to have too many luxuries. I just want to be in Nature, experience life, and not let technology get in the way too much.
Well, give me some suggestions and a point in the right direction because I'd love some feedback. Thanks guys!

Mountain Mike
04-05-2013, 20:05
A headnet. The ounce or so will help you maintain your santity during black fly season.

SOBO_Pace
04-05-2013, 20:17
Some sort of rain fly would ne a must.

wesleygalles
04-05-2013, 20:19
Some sort of rain fly would ne a must.

Oh, I should've mentioned I have one with my hammock. It's one of the larger one's from Hennessey.

bigcranky
04-05-2013, 20:35
Darn Tough wool socks. The lighter ones.

I like merino wool for base layers -- the 150 wt Icebreaker works well for me for boxer briefs and s/s tops. Also long johns and l/s tops for cooler weather.

Canister stoves are good; there are newer (better) designs than pocket rocket.

Snow Peak 700 or 900 depending on what you want to cook. I use the 700 solo.

Black Diamond Spot headlamp. Flashlights are less than useful. The Spot is bright when you need it, dim when you need that, red at night, and locks off in your pack.

Have fun!

wesleygalles
04-05-2013, 20:48
Also, I'd like to note that it is extremely ironic to me that this hike that is supposed to be so humbling and peaceful is so stressful to plan. Gotta love financial burdens.

bigcranky
04-05-2013, 21:14
Also, I'd like to note that it is extremely ironic to me that this hike that is supposed to be so humbling and peaceful is so stressful to plan. Gotta love financial burdens.

It's human nature to plan or over-plan, especially when we don't really know what we're getting ourselves into.

On the other hand, if you look at it as a six month vacation, perhaps the financial angle will look a little better. After all, it's a lot cheaper than six months traveling in Europe.

wesleygalles
04-05-2013, 22:32
True, I suppose the biggest stress is money. Whodathunk?

wesleygalles
04-06-2013, 02:05
Also, what's a good shirt /pants to check into? I'll prolly honestly wear shorts 90% of the time

bigcranky
04-06-2013, 09:22
Any nylon shorts will work. I prefer pull-on with an elastic waist, no liner, and longish length. And two good, deep pockets. My current shorts are Marmot brand, not sure the model, but I think they were marketed as hiking shorts (as opposed to running shorts which tend to be really short. I don't need to show that much leg, thanks.)

If you find the perfect shorts but they have a mesh liner, you can just cut it out. Commando in the summer, wool boxers in the cooler weather works for me.

I like a very light, merino wool, short sleeve, loose-fitting top for most AT hiking. Icebreaker or Smartwool. But I could also wear one of those long sleeve nylon "fishing" shirts, especially if there will be a lot of sun exposure. Wore one a lot out West, for example.

Tree Nerd
04-06-2013, 10:00
Whats your start date? That will determine if you will need some gear or not.....anyway, I am not a minimalist or UL backpacker but I have some suggestions and stuff I have picked up from other hikers on here....

Items needed to be bought:
Hiking shorts - just go with swish shorts, no need for pockets unless you like them. Personally, I dont like anything in my pockets so no pockets = less weight.
Hiking Pants = If your really trying to save on weight just use your shorts with a base layer pants like long-johns.
hiking undies - compression shorts work well. I typically take two pair with me; wearing one and packing the other.
MSR pocket rocket stove + fuel = go with a homemade alcohol stove. only costs cents to make, fuel is cheap, and the whole set up is way lighter.
Flashlight - get some kind of headlamp from REI or other outfitter, anything will do.
Gloves - I am taking gloves on my SOBO, but several people (UL packers) have told me to leave them at home and use socks if you need gloves.....Ill sacrifice the weight.
Toiletries (soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, etc) soap = Dr. Bronners, biodegradable and can be used for everything. Toothpaste = travel sized. Toothbrush = childs or folding to save on size and weight. Deodorant = leave it at home, your going to smell like a foot regardless. Towl....definitely bring a towel. I take 1'x1' shamwow.
Pack cover = check out the packa (www.thepacka.com), you havent mentioned anything about rain gear so this will kill two birds with one stone and everyone that has it loves it. I would like one but I'm too poor.
Flip flops = the lighter the better....get some foam ones from oldnavy or something like that. Personally, I wanted my camp/shower/wading shoes to be multi-use, something that will be nice at the end of the day, but if i got in a pinch I could hike in them if I needed to. I got a pair of chaco rex sandals. There not the lightest but I will enjoy them.

wesleygalles
04-06-2013, 12:54
My projected start date is July 1st or earlier.

VTATHiker
04-06-2013, 13:15
Enjoy the journey!

- Darn Tough socks and ExOfficio boxers (Lifetime guarantee on the Darn Toughs and the ExOfficio seem to last forever).
- Nix the soap and the deodorant.
- Consider a trash-compactor bag as a liner in your pack. I preferred to have a liner and a pack cover.
- A single small dry-bag for your electronics and other items that need to stay dry was very worth it for me.
- Bandanna can be used as a mediocre pack towel, a pot holder, water filter, head covering, lashing, face covering, etc… I wouldn't go hiking without one.

wesleygalles
04-07-2013, 14:19
Nylon pants/shorts seem easy enough to find. as far as a shirt goes, do I want merino wool or 100% polyester?

poopsy
04-07-2013, 14:36
It's easy to underestimate the insect population. You should be dressing for it during the day. While the season is pretty much over by July the reality is very bitter.

bigcranky
04-07-2013, 15:19
I use merino for all base layers, including hiking tops. Synthetic works just fine, but on me it stinks so bad I can't wear it after a day or so.

wesleygalles
04-07-2013, 15:47
Merino it is then! Knocked off a few more items from my list today. Got some great deals at Bass Pro. Got some convertible Nylon pants, ExOfficio undies, some hammock stakes, pack cover, and some fuel for my stove. As far as the underwear goes, how many pairs should I have? Same for other clothing as well, I'd like to take as little as possible. Maybe just a set for hiking and a set for sleeping if possible, or is that not smart? =O

Venchka
04-07-2013, 16:16
Sun screen. SPF 50. The large size, not the travel size that won't last a day or 2.
Did I see rain gear on your list?
Do you really NEED anything electrical besides the headlamp and 1 spare set of batteries? Really?
Good luck. SoBo is looking better and better to me.

Wayne

SOBO_Pace
04-07-2013, 16:20
I started my trip with a smart wool shirt but quickly changed to a synthetic because my wool shirt would never dry and rubbed my nipples raw. Under armor has a good line of quick drying shirts.

MinisterRick
04-07-2013, 17:22
Hey Mountain Mike, I was just "tweaking" my initial gear list and wanted to THANK YOU for the headnet comment.... didn't think of this one.

Tree Nerd
04-07-2013, 18:05
As far as the underwear goes, how many pairs should I have? Same for other clothing as well, I'd like to take as little as possible. Maybe just a set for hiking and a set for sleeping if possible, or is that not smart? =O

Got it! Take as little as possible. My kit includes two pair socks, two pair of compression shorts, one pair shorts, base layer pants and long sleeve shirt, one t-shirt, one fleece, rain jacket and rain pants. Oh, boots and my camp shoes too. Everything is part of a layering system and works together. Its all going to be dirty or wet regardless of how many extras you bring.

wesleygalles
04-07-2013, 20:19
Sun screen. SPF 50. The large size, not the travel size that won't last a day or 2.
Did I see rain gear on your list?
Do you really NEED anything electrical besides the headlamp and 1 spare set of batteries? Really?

Wayne

I'm gonna get a slicker. I don't know about rain pants. I've seen mixed reviews, some say yes, others say nay. I honestly think I could do without. Walking in rain won't bother me really. Once I'm wet, I'm wet, and I may as well walk.
I also picked up a headnet today, good call on that one Mountain Mike!

Also, I got a polyester short sleeve shirt today. I was thinking for my other shirt I might want a long sleeve. Should I just have a standard type shirt, or would it be better to get one of those breathable button down shirts? They seem nice.

wesleygalles
04-07-2013, 20:21
And I don't plan on taking many electronics. A prepaid phone for just in case, and my smartphone that I'm cancelling service on will be my camera.

wesleygalles
04-07-2013, 21:49
I'm also thinking about not buying a down jacket right away and just getting one further down the trail when I actually need one. Is this a wise decision, or should I just go ahead and get one now?

Tree Nerd
04-07-2013, 23:56
I'm also thinking about not buying a down jacket right away and just getting one further down the trail when I actually need one. Is this a wise decision, or should I just go ahead and get one now?

Down jacket....save your money. again everything is a layering system. In really cold weather I use my long sleeve base, my fleece, and my rain jacket....keeps me super worm and doesn't cost a ton of money.

wesleygalles
04-08-2013, 01:42
Cool cool. Decided against the down jacket and got a fleece instead. I've almost got all my gear! Things are becoming so real!