PDA

View Full Version : Island Pond Outlet

perrito
04-05-2013, 20:51
Is camping allowed near Island Pond Outlet? It's about 2.7 miles before Fingerboard shelter. I just want to know if it's an option.
I'll be in a hammock so a flat spot isn't a must.

Another Kevin
04-05-2013, 22:38
Harriman formally allows camping only in the immediate area of the shelters, but enforcement is lax. Island Pond has a lot of coming and going, though, since it's got a road going up to it. You might want a less heavily trafficked spot. The last time I was in there, there were four guys making camp a stone's throw from the Boston Mine on the Dunning trail. It looked like a nice spot. I didn't talk to them, they'd been drinking pretty heavily and sounded quite obnoxious from far off. The woods there are pretty open, so expect to walk a ways if you don't want to be seen.

Feral Bill
04-05-2013, 22:48
I have stealthed south of Island Pond. It was not legal. If you are not totally exhausted, load up on water and continue to Fingerboard. It's a nice place to stay, and makes a short day to West Mountain, a must stay location.

Darwin13
04-06-2013, 19:11
Just off the trail and to the right, up a little rise, is an area that looks out onto the pond. It is a spectacular camping spot. Even has a fire ring. PaddyO told me about it and I've stayed there twice. Never had a problem. Legality blah blah blah.

smithcj06
04-14-2013, 10:16
Is this the Island Pond in NY? If so its an awesome place. I nero'd there when I thrued and camped right by the big rock jutting into the water. Nice place to cool off.

perrito
04-14-2013, 19:05
Yes, this is the one in NY. I will be sure to check it out when I get to that spot.
It looks like a tough hike from Wildcat to Fingerboard - 14.3 miles and almost 4400 feet of elevation gain. I'll be sure to get an early start and pace myself seeing as I'm not in hiking shape as yet.

Thanx for the replies.

Sent via Tapatalk

Strategic
05-01-2013, 14:55
It can be a tough hike from Wildcat to Fingerboard. There are a lot of steep elevation changes (including the Agony Grind as you drop down to NY17) and the terrain is pretty rocky. The campsite mentioned above at Island Pond Outlet is very pretty, but so is Fingerboard. I hung there when I did this section; there's a great pair of trees right at the edge of the lower rock shelf the shelter sits on, perfect for a hammock.

Half Note
05-09-2013, 23:30
Just out of curiosity, anyone camped on the island itself?

Feral Bill
05-10-2013, 00:05
Just out of curiosity, anyone camped on the island itself? Very small and hard to get to (would need a boat). In winter you might walk out bu I can't see why. Also illegal.