PDA

View Full Version : Is there an Appalachian Trail magazine or annual?

alxflwrs
04-05-2013, 21:11
I'm curious because if there is one I'd like to know about it, and if there isn't one, and anyone else practices art, design, photography, journalism, (etc) it might be a fun project to start.

Just a thought.

Wise Old Owl
04-05-2013, 21:25
Its called Backpacker

sorry look here

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/who-we-are/atjourney

beaudetious
04-05-2013, 21:27
The ATC had a monthly magazine for its members. Obviously it's only about the AT and it has excellent photos.

moldy
04-06-2013, 08:54
There is no real Appalachian Trail magazine. There are a few "jokes" out there including the one produced by the ATC. The backpacker magazine sold it's soul to the equipment sellers long ago. I would not try a print version, too risky. An online magazine may be the way to go.

Chaco Taco
04-06-2013, 08:55
AT Journeys is pretty cool. Backpacker is nice as well. We just started getting Outside mag and its got some great pics.
The AMC mag is pretty cool as is Appalachia. Get to read about some of the S&R's that happen up here.

Jack Tarlin
04-06-2013, 09:23
I would like to ask the person who spoke so poorly about the ATC magazine a simple question: What has contributed to this publication in order to help improve it?

Lyle
04-06-2013, 10:05
Agree, there is not much. Backpacker used to be great, but they have now become a sales platform for big-bucks manufacturers. The ATC magazine used to be much more hiker-centric. Now, since the ATC remake from Conference to Conservancy it has become more of a fundraising publication, much less to do with actual hiking, or should I say long distance hiking. Ok as they go, but not nearly as entertaining for me.

Mags
04-06-2013, 12:54
Not AT centered, but check out Trail Groove. An online magazine with "real world" gear reviews, excellent photos and very well written articles.
http://www.trailgroove.com/

Oh..and it is free. :)

Reminds me of old BPer Mag issues you can find online.
http://books.google.com/books/about/Backpacker.html?id=WBlWvnEWZHQC

The 1970s until about the early to mid 90s was really good in terms of the quality of the magazine.

As backpacking itself has declined in terms of popularity, so has the above magazine declined in terms of quality IMO. Lots of gems scattered among the bullet point (Five ways to get ready for the hiking season..Yet again! And check out the nutrition bar ad on the side!) and gear centric articles, but need $$$$ to keep anything going. And if what you write about has declined in terms of overall popularity......

I think online magazines for niche interests (and backpacking is very much a niche interest vs a general outdoors type magazine) is what we will see more of in the coming years.

Jack Tarlin
04-06-2013, 13:22
Misprint in my last post, it should have read: To the person who spoke so poorly about the ATC magazine......what have YOU personally contributed in order to help improve this publication?

Groomez
04-06-2013, 14:57
Not AT centered, but check out Trail Groove. An online magazine with "real world" gear reviews, excellent photos and very well written articles.
http://www.trailgroove.com/

Oh..and it is free. :)

Reminds me of old BPer Mag issues you can find online.
http://books.google.com/books/about/Backpacker.html?id=WBlWvnEWZHQC

The 1970s until about the early to mid 90s was really good in terms of the quality of the magazine.

As backpacking itself has declined in terms of popularity, so has the above magazine declined in terms of quality IMO. Lots of gems scattered among the bullet point (Five ways to get ready for the hiking season..Yet again! And check out the nutrition bar ad on the side!) and gear centric articles, but need $$$$ to keep anything going. And if what you write about has declined in terms of overall popularity......

I think online magazines for niche interests (and backpacking is very much a niche interest vs a general outdoors type magazine) is what we will see more of in the coming years.

DUDE! Thanks for the links

BuckeyeBill
04-06-2013, 15:06
Thanks Mags for the links

RED-DOG
04-06-2013, 15:12
Yeah the AT journey's and the Backpacker mag has really gone down hill in the last few years, their not really much for the reader's any more, just for pumping buisness or soliciting funds.

Bucketfoot
04-06-2013, 21:06
I say thank you! ATC for your Journeys magazine.I enjoy every issue. And thank you for all you do for the trail. I'm glad someone is doing some fund raising for the trail.

Don H
04-06-2013, 21:54
The AT Journeys has some great photography in it and its free with your membership.

soilman
04-06-2013, 22:06
I think one is exaggerating to say the ATC's Journey magazine is just a fund raising publication. The Jan-Feb 2013 issue is 48 pages. A total of 2 pages with ads soliciting funds and/or volunteers. Another page listing givers and another page talking about why one should donate to ATC. The AT is not just for long distance hikers and a member of ATC and reader of Journeys would soon discover that fact. This issue has articles about trail town, trail stories, book review, dazzling photos, and the acquisition of 10,000 acres in TN that will help enhance the AT experience. It easy to hurl insults; not so easy to support an organization that has helped make the AT the trail it is by volunteering or contributing.

Tuckahoe
04-06-2013, 22:07
I've only subscribed to Backpacker Magazine for 2 years now, but I have enjoyed it. Funning thing is its for the reason that most seem to decry, their hocking of gear for companies. I enjoy the gear reviews and the advertisements for gear companies. Its kinda like looking at candy in the shop window for me. I wish there was a publication that only covered backpacking the AT, with sectinong ideas, howto articles and gear reviews.

Cookerhiker
04-06-2013, 22:08
To the OP - follow the link from Wise Old Owl's post and if you're an AT hiker, I'd encourage you to join the Conservancy.

Misprint in my last post, it should have read: To the person who spoke so poorly about the ATC magazine......what have YOU personally contributed in order to help improve this publication?

Jack, consider the source - he's full of BS nearly every time he posts. If you want to see another recent example, check out Post #8 on this thread. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?94187-Ease-of-resupply&p=1456140#post1456140)

moldy
04-07-2013, 09:19
AT Journeys magazine, is a rag. They will publish any bit of trivia that lives up to there low standard of being "goody goody fluff". Not a single professional writer is published here. Nothing with any edge or grit. All the good news. It's good that it's free because they could not sell it. It more of a political newsletter. Some of the features are strange indeed. The trail towns series, towns that are so far from the trail that most hikers won't even recognize them, Harrisonburg Va. Give me a break, it's not a trail town. It's an I-81 town....... The town Chamber of Commerece wrote that piece.

rickb
04-07-2013, 14:07
I think Moldy makes a good point about how the magazine's focus. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think there was a single word about the Scott Lilly murder, for example.

I had high hope immediately after the first issue at "Journeys" came out 6 or so years ago. In that one, there was a an in-depth article on a horrific assault a group of school girls quite some time before ( in the 70s, I think) that was respectful, informative and explicitly addressed the ATCs historical silence on these kinds of things.

Oh we'll.

As for some of the many non-hiking article we see now, I got to say that I rather like them. context matters and the hiking stuff is just a part off the AT.

I also like the updated ATC website, and that they have may excerpts from may of the issues on line-- seems like a dozen pages or so. I wish the piece I wrote was among them, but thems the breaks. My fame was fleeting.

Here is the link to what they do have.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/who-we-are/atjourney/past-issues

Jack Tarlin
04-07-2013, 15:06
How unfortunate to see yet another sharp attack on the ATC magazine. I ask again, to those who feel compelled to so viciously attack it: What have you contributed to this publication lately in order to help improve it? Dare I ask....what have you EVER contributed to it? I suggest that those who feel strongly about the perceived failings of this magazine do something meaningful to change things.....instead of angrily writing here, perhaps their time would be better served by sending something well-written and positive to the journal in question.

vamelungeon
04-07-2013, 15:22
I enjoy the issues of Journeys I receive but they could use some "how to" articles, perhaps some good reviews of different sections of the trail and that sort of thing. I'm not a writer or I would try to submit something useful to them. I know there are some members here on WB who can write well, and who could make worthwhile contributions to Journeys.

Don H
04-07-2013, 16:29
LaurieP are you getting this? Good suggestion^^^^^

rickb
04-07-2013, 19:37
How unfortunate to see yet another sharp attack on the ATC magazine. I ask again, to those who feel compelled to so viciously attack it: What have you contributed to this publication lately in order to help improve it? Dare I ask....what have you EVER contributed to it? I suggest that those who feel strongly about the perceived failings of this magazine do something meaningful to change things.....instead of angrily writing here, perhaps their time would be better served by sending something well-written and positive to the journal in question.

We pick our battles in life, Jack.

Just as you are free to criticize and question the character of those working at the AMC-- from its profession leaderships right on down to the summer hut employees -- others are free to comment on the content of a magazine we pay for. As for whose posts have been vicious, those reading them can make their own judgment.

i thought the magazine was at its best when a wide cross-section of ATC members contributed. Perhaps they still do, but it sure doesn't feel that way any more.

Cookerhiker
04-07-2013, 22:16
It's a matter of degree Rick. Your comments showed some agreement and some disagreement but they were more even-keeled than the two critics who trashed the entire enterprise and offered nothing constructive. Both have demonstrated in this thread and others that they are all take and no give when it comes to the AT.

Marta
04-07-2013, 23:57
Is AT Journeys going to overtake National Geographic in popularity? Outdo Smithsonian for popular scientific articles? No.

Do we want the ATC to spend millions on the magazine, or on protecting the Trail? Journeys has some wonderful photographs, and interesting tidbits of news and information. It is what it is--a beautiful newsletter for people who care about the AT.

Jack Tarlin
04-08-2013, 09:12
Rick: We do indeed pick our battles in life, but you entirely missed my point. You yourself said the magazine was better when more hikers contributed to it. I couldn't agree more. That is why I think the best way to improve the publication would be to actually write something positive for it, instead of limiting one's writing to anonymous Internet sniping about how bad the magazine allegedly is. This is exactly like the folks who carp about Trail maintenance every year, but never seem to find the time to do any. Either you're part of the problem or you find the time to be part of the solution.