PDA

View Full Version : section hiking the triple crown?

1azarus
04-06-2013, 09:29
has anyone, as far as we collectively know, section hiked to completion each of the triple crown trails? details?

Marta
04-06-2013, 10:17
I believe Gutsy and her husband, Dan, have done it. Gutsy is a school teacher and devoted her summers to it.

garlic08
04-06-2013, 11:03
My friend Saunter took nearly 40 years to finally finish his TC last year. He lives in Seattle and it took him 30 years to do the PCT. Then he positively zoomed through the CDT and AT. Another friend from Phoenix, Fred G, was on a similar plan, and finished last year after 30 years or so. These guys had careers, raised families, stayed married, etc. They are both extremely active in trail building and advocacy (Fred played a huge role in building the AZT), not to mention Class A trail angels.

Kerosene
04-06-2013, 13:54
Let's see, it will take me 41 elapsed years to finish the AT in sections, although I was on a 15-year hiatus in there. I'll theoretically have more time available in retirement, but I'll probably be walking slower. Figure another 20 years for the PCT and another 20 for the CDT, which has me finishing before I'm 100.

Actually, I have little interest in trying to complete the long trails in sections or otherwise. I do however have a remarkably long list of mid-length trails and sections (100-400 miles in length) that I'd like to knock off before I knock off.