PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned Backpacks

T-Rx
04-07-2013, 22:13
My wife and I just returned from hiking on the Foothills Trail. Our 3rd day on the trail (Tuesday) between Toxaway Creek and Bearcamp Creek we encountered 3 abandoned backpacks. The first 2 packs were separated from the 3rd by approx. 2 - 3 miles and all 3 packs were open with the contents pulled out. Other hikers said the packs had been there since Friday. Any one have any info. on this possible hiker rescue or an update on the status of these hikers?

HikerMom58
04-07-2013, 22:28
Wow... T-Rx... that's a lot of abandoned backpacks! That's really weird!

Were they expensive/nice packs?

melaniebk
04-07-2013, 23:00
While we were out there we met some people who had called in the locations of the packs, but we never heard whether the owners were located. We're concerned, too.

EllieMP
04-07-2013, 23:09
This is disturbing news. I hope we find out that everyone is safe and sound. This makes me realize that it is important to put some permanent identification on my backpack somehow. Maybe a sewn in label with contact information. Please keep us posted on any news you find out about these three hikers.

The Cleaner
04-07-2013, 23:12
Probably some more SFB hikers who decided to bail and just didn't want to carry out what they carried in.I've heard of this happening on the AT back in the early 80s.One hiker tossed his pack into a campfire and hiked out.Some people have no idea of what it is like to carry a heavy pack up a mountain.They need to stay home and cyber hike....

The Cleaner
04-07-2013, 23:14
This is disturbing news. I hope we find out that everyone is safe and sound. This makes me realize that it is important to put some permanent identification on my backpack somehow. Maybe a sewn in label with contact information. Please keep us posted on any news you find out about these three hikers. If they would have been in trouble they could have used their cell phone to call for help..

Nutbrown
04-07-2013, 23:15
so they were just empty packs? Or was the stuff strewn about? Either way, creepy.

prain4u
04-08-2013, 01:13
I wouldn't be all that concerned--at this point. The packs have apparently been there a few days. If some person(s) had been missing for a few days--it is HIGHLY unlikely that there is no news story about it and no big search going on. While these packs COULD indicate that there is (or was) some sort of big problem or crisis--the MOST likely answer is that some irresponsible people simply became tired of carrying stuff and just abandoned it.

Chaco Taco
04-08-2013, 06:03
Probably some more SFB hikers who decided to bail and just didn't want to carry out what they carried in.I've heard of this happening on the AT back in the early 80s.One hiker tossed his pack into a campfire and hiked out.Some people have no idea of what it is like to carry a heavy pack up a mountain.They need to stay home and cyber hike....

This happened quite a bit when I was on the AT in 08. I think I counted 4 packs from Springer to Franklin. Not to mention, boots, tents, tshirts....all strewn across tree limbs and abandoned.

Two Speed
04-08-2013, 06:56
Fairly common on the AT, wouldn't concern me in the least, but not so sure about abandoned equipment on the Foothills Trail.

shakey_snake
04-08-2013, 07:39
Someone probably got their packs jacked by some local smackheads who rooted through the bags trying to find anything they could exchange for tar.

The Cleaner
04-08-2013, 08:09
FWIW I still find used clothing,cook pots,worn out boots and lots of EMPTY FUEL CANISTERS at shelters just north of Hot Springs.I don't think that the AT is on the can picker up dude's route.There should be a hefty deposit charge on fuel canisters.....

T-Rx
04-08-2013, 08:12
Cleaner and HikerMom,
cell phone reception on the FHT is very sketchy at best so just calling some one for assistance may not have been an option if assistance was needed. The packs were nice packs with the contents appearing to be gone through in a hurry and strewn about. It was obvious that the packs belonged to female hikers because of some of the pack contents that were visible. We also were told that it had been reported but were concerned for the safety of the hikers. I have never encountered anything like this before. Very unusual.

SouthMark
04-08-2013, 08:13
Some people have no idea of what it is like to carry a heavy pack up a mountain.They need to stay home and cyber hike....

I doubt that anyone knows what it's like until they have attempted it (sarcasm).

Two Speed
04-08-2013, 08:26
Kind of surprised that a lot of folks haven't twigged that the OP is talking about the

Foothills Trail

not the AT.

Was that too subtle? My bad.

Chaco Taco
04-08-2013, 08:33
Kind of surprised that a lot of folks haven't twigged that the OP is talking about the

Foothills Trail

not the AT.

Was that too subtle? My bad.
wait.... what trail again???

Two Speed
04-08-2013, 08:37
the Foothills.

Just sayin'.

Tipi Walter
04-08-2013, 08:52

I was out in the Slickrock Creek wilderness in December 2012 and found a tarp and a tent and a glove and 2 walmart green propane canisters left around the fire ring in a campsite. Steamed, I gathered the crap and carted it off behind a rock so I wouldn't have to see it all day. Of course I had to write something in my trip report, as follows--- (I'm not saying those packs left on the trail were left intentionally, but it does make you wonder).

DOG HAT CAMP
Some good old boy-motards left a pile of crap in Dog Hat Camp on the Nichols Cove trail below the gravesite. As usual the poor bastardos couldn't be bothered with hauling their crap out and so I gathered it up and moved it out of camp and behind a rock. Here's their redneck inventory---

** Coleman tent with poles.
** Two walmart green propane canisters(typically usual).
** A large walmart tarp rolled into bundle and tied with a yellow rope.
** A Stihl brand baseball hat.
** A single winter ski glove made by Wells Lamont.

The poor weenies carried this stuff in but couldn't be bothered with hauling it out. They dug deep to get their precious little soft bodies out but dumped everything else for others to deal with. Such is the character of the outdoorsmen so common nowadays. I've seen this behavior before and often the same people you say hello to going out as you pass on the way in are the same parasitic turd-eating fleas who leave their garbage in heaps like the wilderness is some open dump for their delight---and you find as you retrace their steps back to their camps.

Nothing can be done about this behavior except to send out hateful negative vibes in their direction like a Tibetan sorcerer and hope a giant frozen Joe Dirt turdball hits their house from the sky. Phew, am I finished? If I was Les Stroud out for 10 days I could put this crap to good use.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2012/15-Day-December-Decompression/i-JcKM7dB/0/L/TRIP%20140%20072-L.jpg
It doesn't look so bad once it's organized.

Kookork
04-08-2013, 09:23
Seems suspicious to me especially if it they were nice backpacks. Money does not grow on trees that somebody purchase backpack and then abandon it.

HooKooDooKu
04-08-2013, 11:20
Seems suspicious to me especially if it they were nice backpacks. Money does not grow on trees that somebody purchase backpack and then abandon it.

More than once, I've heard of a golfer throwing their entire golf bag in a water hazard. You're talking about $300 to $800 in equipment.

If a golfer can toss that much money into a water hazard over playing a bad round, I can easily see an inexperienced backpacker giving in to the physical challenges of the hike, pulling his cell phone and water bottle out a a back pack, abandoning the whole thing to walk to a road and call for a pickup.

cave man
04-08-2013, 11:55
wonder who got their food

Kookork
04-08-2013, 13:14
More than once, I've heard of a golfer throwing their entire golf bag in a water hazard. You're talking about $300 to $800 in equipment.

If a golfer can toss that much money into a water hazard over playing a bad round, I can easily see an inexperienced backpacker giving in to the physical challenges of the hike, pulling his cell phone and water bottle out a a back pack, abandoning the whole thing to walk to a road and call for a pickup.

From your lips to god's ear. I can see a golfer do that but for some reasons I can't see 3 hikers doing it.We are talking about 3 backpacks of females( who I consider them more conservative in behavior than male hikers) but i hope you are right.

Chaco Taco
04-08-2013, 13:27
From your lips to god's ear. I can see a golfer do that but for some reasons I can't see 3 hikers doing it.We are talking about 3 backpacks of females( who I consider them more conservative in behavior than male hikers) but i hope you are right.
where did the OP says these packs belonged to females??

Kookork
04-08-2013, 13:35
where did the OP says these packs belonged to females??

Here in the second post of OP:
cell phone reception on the FHT is very sketchy at best so just calling some one for assistance may not have been an option if assistance was needed. The packs were nice packs with the contents appearing to be gone through in a hurry and strewn about. It was obvious that the packs belonged to female hikers because of some of the pack contents that were visible. We also were told that it had been reported but were concerned for the safety of the hikers. I have never encountered anything like this before. Very unusual.

melaniebk
04-08-2013, 13:38
I also thought the packs belonged to females (at least 2 of them), judging from the personal items that had been strewed around. There was still some food in one of them that I noticed. It made me realize I needed to have an identification tag inside my pack; if I ever had to abandon my pack whoever found it could contact my family and see if I had made it home or if someone should be looking for me.

Dogwood
04-08-2013, 13:53
Cool to watch out for our own T-Rx. Were you able to find any identification on, in, or in the vicinity of the packs? Where exactly on the FHT did you find the packs? What clued you in that they were female packs? What contents did you find? Were all the obvious Big Ticket items in good condition missing? I find it a little disconcerting that they were females. Could be all kinds of things: pack theft(smackheads, tweakers, just thieves - could have been different multiple thieves involved, could be the packs were stolen somewhere off trail or off the FHT and were brought there out of sight to sort through the contents), people leaving their packs(needed immediate medical attention and the packs were slowing them down, wannabe hikers and packs got to heavy-seen that occasionally), or.... Big Foot is making his way south.... or?

Where's Lone Wolf when you need him? I'll fill in for him this time. REAL HIKERS don't leave packs and gear and empty fuel canisters behind.:banana

Dogwood
04-08-2013, 13:57
Oh, that reminds me. Place your name and/or identifying marks on your gear especially on the inside of packs and BIG ticket items. I had two LOADED packs stolen outside Reno. Probably tweakers. Fkin drugs.

HikerMom58
04-08-2013, 14:09
Cleaner and HikerMom,

It is very unusual indeed! Thanks for reporting it. If you don't mind, keep us informed about any updates on this that you receive. Maybe someone on here will know something more about it. Thanks for posting it, T-Rx. Hope you enjoyed your hike! :)

Hot Flash
04-08-2013, 14:51
Some people have no idea of what it is like to carry a heavy pack up a mountain.They need to stay home and cyber hike....

Seriously? By those standards, nobody would ever start hiking! Everyone has a first hike, and a first experience with carrying a backpack. By telling people they should just stay home if they don't have experience, you're giving the impression that those of us who do know how to hike with a backpack are elitist jerks who won't welcome new blood.

fins1838
04-08-2013, 15:21
So just where is the Foothills Trail?

Don H
04-08-2013, 15:36
http://www.foothillstrail.org

Google is your friend :)

T-Rx
04-08-2013, 15:38
Cool to watch out for our own T-Rx. Were you able to find any identification on, in, or in the vicinity of the packs? Where exactly on the FHT did you find the packs? What clued you in that they were female packs? What contents did you find? Were all the obvious Big Ticket items in good condition missing? I find it a little disconcerting that they were females. Could be all kinds of things: pack theft(smackheads, tweakers, just thieves - could have been different multiple thieves involved, could be the packs were stolen somewhere off trail or off the FHT and were brought there out of sight to sort through the contents), people leaving their packs(needed immediate medical attention and the packs were slowing them down, wannabe hikers and packs got to heavy-seen that occasionally), or.... Big Foot is making his way south.... or?

Where's Lone Wolf when you need him? I'll fill in for him this time. REAL HIKERS don't leave packs and gear and empty fuel canisters behind.:banana

Dogwood,
First let me compliment you on your LW impersonation! Now regarding the back packs, they were located on the section of trail between Toxaway Creek and Bearcamp Creek. The first 2 were closer to the Toxaway Creek end of the section and about 2-3 miles before the 3rd backpacks location. I did not dig through the packs but there were no visible identification markings on the packs. I called out for any hikers but got no response? Clothing, pink bandanas and feminine hygiene products were visible indicating the packs most likely belonged to female hikers. There was at least one tent still in its stuff sack with the packs. By the way, great trail with some beautiful waterfalls and challenging in some places. I had a conversation with a couple of locals on our last day and they said the locals called the FHT the "chutes and ladders trail" because of all the steps, stairs, bridges, etc... After hiking the trail I think that name is very appropriate!

shaman.in.a.yurt
04-08-2013, 15:39
So just where is the Foothills Trail?
It traverses the upstate of SC (and some of NC) between Table Rock State Park and Oconee State Park. The Jocassee Gorges section is beautiful!

I plan to go out and thru-run it this Fall :sun

Another Kevin
04-08-2013, 15:44
It's Monday, so I can't resist being snarky. Where is the Foothills Trail? http://bit.ly/Zdxec8

T-Rx
04-08-2013, 15:59
It's Monday, so I can't resist being snarky. Where is the Foothills Trail? http://bit.ly/Zdxec8

FHT goes from Tablerock SP in NC to Oconee SP in SC. The entire trail is approx. 78 miles. Great trail with lots of water, waterfalls, views, etc.. Very well maintained and marked. I agree with the previous post by shaman that the section around Laurel Valley, Jocassee lake and Gorges SP are very beautiful. I would not hesitate to do this trail again, especially now that I have a little FHT knowledge and could plan my days to coincide with certain camping locations. The sites located at Virginia Hawkins Falls and Toxaway Creek were just awesome places to camp.

atraildreamer
04-08-2013, 17:00
http://www.foothillstrail.org

Google is your friend :)

And a spying little @#$%^&* !

nyrslr21
04-09-2013, 10:52
Very odd indeed.

Theosus
04-10-2013, 00:04
My wife and I just returned from hiking on the Foothills Trail. Our 3rd day on the trail (Tuesday) between Toxaway Creek and Bearcamp Creek we encountered 3 abandoned backpacks. The first 2 packs were separated from the 3rd by approx. 2 - 3 miles and all 3 packs were open with the contents pulled out. Other hikers said the packs had been there since Friday. Any one have any info. on this possible hiker rescue or an update on the status of these hikers?

If I remember my trip right, isn't bear camp creek and toxaway creek off the foothills trail, back towards the parking area along the Auger Hole trail? I hiked that loop in october and in January. Coming up from toxaway to the parking lot is a 4 mile steady climb it seemed. I can't imagine abandoning my gear at that point though, you're almost done compared to the rest of the trip. I wanted to sit down and cry on that section up from lake Jocasee. I could certainly see abandoning a pack there...

Dogwood
04-10-2013, 01:08
The FHT is generally considered to have terninus at TRSP and OSP but some authors use different terminus asuch as OSP and Ceasars Head SP near Ravens Cliff Falls.

I have thrued it twice using all these THs. The FHT can even be extended all the way past Jones Gap SP to the east which I've additionally done once, making it about a 115 mile thru-hike, and can be extended all the way to the west to the Windy Gap/Cheoha Bald area on the AT via the Bartram Trail, some other snippets of trail, and a shortish road walk. I'm currently researching getting to the a AT via the Bartram Connector from the FHT so don't have all the details yet. Between the FHT east of the AT and the Pinhoti Trail/Benton Mckaye to the west and southwest of the AT I'm finding some real interesting loops and extensions to or involving the AT. If someone is interested in connecting to the southern AT several nice wortyh to hike extensions and trails. If someone likes coming with their own original route lots of possibilities.

Getting back to the thread. The FHT spans Toxaway Crk once and Bear Camp Crk, I think 4 times. There is an access trail, I don't think widely used though, near Bear Creek that goes in short fashion to a campground area off the FHT. There is a old logging road near the Bear Camp Creek Campsite listed and mentioned in "Guide to the FHT and the FHT Conference FHT map.

All sorts of room for endless speculation but perhaps if the 3 packs belonged to the same party they all had to leave gthe trail for whatever reason(s)and possibly decided to leave their packs behind. Then maybe others came along and started rummaging through the packs taking what they wanted. Or someone(s) jacked the packs and took what they wanted. Hopefully nothing else happend to these women which just from thye discussion here sounds like thy were. If no one files Missing Person reports shortly it's probably not a big sdeal to worry about this. Who knows though.

JAK
04-10-2013, 06:59
I once had this very weird dream while hike that I woke up and I was a teepee, and the very next night that I was a wigwam. So I quit the trail and saw my Doctor right away. My Doctor figured it our right away. "You're too tense!"

Tree Nerd
04-12-2013, 08:46
Very intense stuff. If anything bad did happen to them, it makes me weary that I hiked part of it solo. Keep us posted if you hear anything.

Rain Man
04-18-2013, 10:39
Why is this thread under "APPALACHIAN TRAIL - General" and not "OTHER Trails"????????

Rain Man

V Eight
04-18-2013, 12:34
Why is this thread under "APPALACHIAN TRAIL - General" and not "OTHER Trails"????????

Rain Man

Yes, the really important thing here is to make dang sure this gets put the correct sub-forum.:rolleyes:

Rain Man
04-18-2013, 20:18
Yes, the really important thing here is to make dang sure this gets put the correct sub-forum.:rolleyes:

I should thank you for the belly laugh at the irony! ;)

Rain:sunMan

Grits
04-18-2013, 23:20

The Backpacks were there as early as Easter Weekend (fireinmybones posted it on Hammock Forms) and the two backpacks at Hillard Falls/bearcamp creek were taken by Rangers from Gorges State Park before I got there thru hiking the FHT on April 9th and the Kelty external frame was still on the trail about 2 miles east on the 10th. I contacted authorities in Transylvania Co. NC and they are checking on the situation but I have not heard anything back yet. The people of the Foothills Trail Conference are monitoring the situation.
The food and full gear had been untouched by animals but had been gone through several times.
The Foothills Trail is a very nice trail along rivers and waterfalls. It intersects the Bartram Trail near Oconee State Park aong the Chattooga River and Upper and Lower Whitewater Falls are spetacular.

Dogwood
04-18-2013, 23:37
From near Bear Camp Creek campsite, listed on the FHT map and mentioned in the Guide to the FHT, north up through Gorges SP is where that campground access side trail is located. Wonder if these folks came in or went out that way.

Dogwood
04-18-2013, 23:43
BTW, found another set up tent but with no/little gear on the BMT at Toccoa River on the east(south) side of the Suspension Bridge a few days ago. Looked like a fisherman or a wanderer who just left it there. Door flap was open and it was cleaned out in side. The tent was in good shape but it wasn't a very expensive one. This kind of thing reminds me of things homeless people do who get an itch to hike but can't follow through with the hike and then revert back to the typical mode of leaving their crap and garbage behind.

daddytwosticks
04-19-2013, 07:18
BTW, found another set up tent but with no/little gear on the BMT at Toccoa River on the east(south) side of the Suspension Bridge a few days ago. Looked like a fisherman or a wanderer who just left it there. Door flap was open and it was cleaned out in side. The tent was in good shape but it wasn't a very expensive one. This kind of thing reminds me of things homeless people do who get an itch to hike but can't follow through with the hike and then revert back to the typical mode of leaving their crap and garbage behind. Technically, some thru-hikers are considered homeless. No? :)

T-Rx
04-19-2013, 09:29
The Backpacks were there as early as Easter Weekend (fireinmybones posted it on Hammock Forms) and the two backpacks at Hillard Falls/bearcamp creek were taken by Rangers from Gorges State Park before I got there thru hiking the FHT on April 9th and the Kelty external frame was still on the trail about 2 miles east on the 10th. I contacted authorities in Transylvania Co. NC and they are checking on the situation but I have not heard anything back yet. The people of the Foothills Trail Conference are monitoring the situation.
The food and full gear had been untouched by animals but had been gone through several times.
The Foothills Trail is a very nice trail along rivers and waterfalls. It intersects the Bartram Trail near Oconee State Park aong the Chattooga River and Upper and Lower Whitewater Falls are spetacular.

thanks for the updated info Grits. I started my FHT hike on Easter Sunday and was told by other hikers that the backpacks had been there since the Friday of Easter weekend. We were just concerned regarding the safety and well being of these hikers. Hopefully all are well. I agree the FHT is a very nice trail with some beautiful scenery and waterfalls. Great pics, thanks for sharing. Please keep us updated with any new info.

prain4u
04-19-2013, 10:50
If THREE hikers had been REALLY missing for THREE WEEKS, I am pretty sure that someone would have reported them missing by now. There appears to be no indication that any missing hikers have been reported. Thus, I am guessing that this is more an instance of abandoned gear than anything else.

Dogwood
04-19-2013, 11:00
Technically, some thru-hikers are considered homeless. No? :)

Hey, we're not homeless just houseless. My current address is Spring Mt Shelter GA. :)

Dogwood
04-19-2013, 11:04
For sale. Must sell. I have 3 women's backpacks and asst feminine hygiene products. CHEAP. Make offer. Proceeds to be donated to FHT Conference for trail support and maintenance. :D

Berserker
04-19-2013, 13:16
I don't know if this is totally on subject (it is the General forum though), but last year when a buddy and I did the NJ section of the AT we ran across an abandoned pack with a pile of stuff next to it covered with a pack cover. It was raining off and on, and the pack and pile of stuff was sitting right next to the trail kinda in some weeds and mud. Perplexed we stared for several seconds and my buddy started lifting the pack cover with the tip of his hiking pole to see what was under it when suddenly a voice shouted "Just move on!" Shocked, we apologized and started walking whilst the voice kept repeating "just move on" as well as chewing us out. Turns out there was apparently a very small woman (I think) underneath the pack cover. So take it from me, and approach "abandonded" packs with caution :-?.

MuddyWaters
04-19-2013, 14:04
I don't know if this is totally on subject (it is the General forum though), but last year when a buddy and I did the NJ section of the AT we ran across an abandoned pack with a pile of stuff next to it covered with a pack cover. It was raining off and on, and the pack and pile of stuff was sitting right next to the trail kinda in some weeds and mud. Perplexed we stared for several seconds and my buddy started lifting the pack cover with the tip of his hiking pole to see what was under it when suddenly a voice shouted "Just move on!" Shocked, we apologized and started walking whilst the voice kept repeating "just move on" as well as chewing us out. Turns out there was apparently a very small woman (I think) underneath the pack cover. So take it from me, and approach "abandonded" packs with caution :-?.

A pack cover that doubles as shelter and raingear.

Note to self: Call Zpacks.

Old Hiker
04-19-2013, 14:43
For sale. Must sell. I have 3 women's backpacks and asst feminine hygiene products. CHEAP. Make offer. Proceeds to be donated to FHT Conference for trail support and maintenance. :D

Are they used? The packs, not the................ never mind.

After 3 weeks, I'm betting the hikers gave up. Hope they are OK.

wornoutboots
04-19-2013, 16:51
I was in the backcountry of the Big South Fork a few weeks ago hiking off trail way up a drainage & came across an abandoned mountain bike @ 3 miles from any established trail? I called authorities & reported it. It is always a very interesting feeling when you come acroos something like that2119621197!

Half Note
04-19-2013, 18:45
I think that's ol' Dakota Joe's bike.

Rif
04-20-2013, 10:34
If THREE hikers had been REALLY missing for THREE WEEKS, I am pretty sure that someone would have reported them missing by now. There appears to be no indication that any missing hikers have been reported. Thus, I am guessing that this is more an instance of abandoned gear than anything else.

Yes, IF the three females were from the nearby area and IF they told people they were going hiking and where. Hopefully all is well but for all we know three women could be reported missing in Seattle or somewhere and no one would ever know where to start looking if they did not tell friends of their plans.

Therunner1Guy
04-20-2013, 10:47
Yes, IF the three females were from the nearby area and IF they told people they were going hiking and where. Hopefully all is well but for all we know three women could be reported missing in Seattle or somewhere and no one would ever know where to start looking if they did not tell friends of their plans.
The likelihood of three people going on a long enough hike to require large packs and not telling family/friends/the “Inter-webs” community is probably pretty slim. Short of a catastrophic incident or a mass kidnapping, groups of people don’t generally just vanish without a trace, contrary to the many Hollywood versions of trips into the woodsJ. My guess is the packs were stolen from a campsite, and dumped away from where the victims were. They may have reported the theft, they may not have. Some victims feel foolish for having been “taken” by thieves, others just figure the police can’t do anything about it anyway and go home. Not sure I buy into the disillusioned hikers abandoning their gear. I’m sure it happens, but three people agreeing to leave their $$$ gear behind seems unlikely.

wornoutboots
04-20-2013, 15:56
I think that's ol' Dakota Joe's bike.

Do you know how I can get a hold of him? I can give him the coordinates to his bike.

Half Note
04-25-2013, 16:24
LOL, well, unless you are familiar with the pen pal system for county lock up...

Doctari
04-25-2013, 17:01
So far, in 20+ years of hiking, I have found & carried out on seperate trips: 1 tarp (& some gear), 5 tents (& assorted gear ) all OBVIOUSLY abandoned for at least 2 weeks (tents with fair amoount of water &/or debris inside) but so far no packs.
I hate to say it but I too hope they are abandoned packs & not stolen. Still hate to see gear left behind. My last found tent & gear, weighed 15 lbs, that was a long 1.5 mile (3 mile RT) hike to a trash can.

TheYoungOne
04-26-2013, 11:18
How far were the packs from the nearest shelter or camp site, and where is the trail head and parking area? Could have been some thief who came into a campsite in the middle of the night, stole the packs and carried them down the trail a bit before sifting thru them. The lady hikers could have woke up, realized their packs were missing, assumed it was either a bear or some bad people still in the area, and they hightailed it back to their cars, perhaps in a different direction from where the packs were left. Did anyone mention this to the local police? If they filled out a report, the owners could get some of their stuff back.

Most likely though I'm thinking if it was 3 non-local female hikers camping alone and they wake up to all their stuff missing, they high tailed it out of there and never even reported it to anyone.

FireInMyBones
01-14-2015, 23:17
It has been a while since I've been on this site and I just noticed this thread. Yes, I found the backpacks and reported them to the rangers when I got off trail including UTM coordinates. After several weeks, I received a call from the ranger that I had been in contact with informing me that the owners had been found. The ladies were inexperienced hikers who got caught in the rain in temperatures they had not bargained for and the bailed swearing off backpacking until weeks later they realized that the gear did have value and went to inquire of it. That's all I know other than how freaked out I was to come across that gear strewn about.

Malto
01-14-2015, 23:54
It has been a while since I've been on this site and I just noticed this thread. Yes, I found the backpacks and reported them to the rangers when I got off trail including UTM coordinates. After several weeks, I received a call from the ranger that I had been in contact with informing me that the owners had been found. The ladies were inexperienced hikers who got caught in the rain in temperatures they had not bargained for and the bailed swearing off backpacking until weeks later they realized that the gear did have value and went to inquire of it. That's all I know other than how freaked out I was to come across that gear strewn about.

backpacking 101. Never abandon your gear!

Old Hiker
01-15-2015, 07:58

Soooooooooo, basically they got someone else lug their gear out of the woods so they could re-claim it and re-sell it?

Sweet deal if you can swing it, I guess.

FireInMyBones
01-15-2015, 11:31
Soooooooooo, basically they got someone else lug their gear out of the woods so they could re-claim it and re-sell it?

Sweet deal if you can swing it, I guess.

That's my understanding. That's humanity for you.

T-Rx
01-15-2015, 12:03
Thanks for the update FireInMyBones. It was an odd sight for the 2 of us. We have seen lots of discarded equipment along the trails through the years but never 3 entire backpacks with all their contents?? Oh well, I guess backpacking just wasn't "their thing". My hunch also is that they did not pay for the equipment or they would have been far more reluctant to abandon it.