PDA

View Full Version : This Search and Rescue takes the cake!

max patch
04-07-2013, 22:48
Strong creek currents leads to water rescue.

SODDY DAISY, TN (WRCB) -- Local law enforcement was dispatched to a water rescue after a strong current tied up a group of hikers.

Officials from Hamilton County Sheriff's department, Hamilton County Water Rescue and the Hamilton County Fire Department were dispatched to the rescue.

Rescuers on the scene say the hikers crossed a strong current near the North Chickamauga Creek gorge and on the return trip were afraid to get their electronics wet.

Hamilton County Sheriff's deputies say that was not the case and the hikers called the sheriff's department when they were afraid to cross a particularly strong current.

No injuries were reported.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/21902624/officials-hikers-call-911to-avoid-getting-electronics-wet

Marta
04-07-2013, 22:52
Wow. I wish the sheriff's department had rescued the electronics and left the hikers to make their own way out. ;-)

Mags
04-08-2013, 00:43
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

SonrisaJo
04-08-2013, 01:57
HA! I'd love to hear the rescuer's take on the situation.
This is a scary crossing. If it's where I think it is, it's in a location where the bridge was recently swept downstream. I did Maine in a very wet year, and this ford was trickier than those. If the hikers didn't know what they were getting into, I can definitely see it being a problem. However, I don't understand the phrase "on the return trip." Did they ford it once, and then decide they didn't want to do it again? What is up with that?

nastynate
04-08-2013, 04:40
The North Chick can be dangerous, but its not like this surprised them. There are two crossings that I know of, the main creek which is wide and pretty shallow right now, and a side creek with a large cable for a handrail. That one is really slippery with moss and a nice 20' dropoff if you fall. Still no need to call rescue, although I guess thats better than a couple dead hikers. A beautiful day like this, I bet if they would have just hiked upstream a short bit they could have found an easier crossing.

treesloth
04-08-2013, 12:57
Good contribution, but the cake-taker for me is the guy who activated his SPOT, only to have the heli come and find him doing fine. He had to be somewhere and was late getting back to his car. If I was in that rescue, I'd have had a hard time not slapping him. I could only imagine how incensed that SAR crew must have been.

Hot Flash
04-08-2013, 15:20
Good contribution, but the cake-taker for me is the guy who activated his SPOT, only to have the heli come and find him doing fine. He had to be somewhere and was late getting back to his car. If I was in that rescue, I'd have had a hard time not slapping him. I could only imagine how incensed that SAR crew must have been.

Sad to say it, but there should be some sort of required training class and licensing required to buy a SPOT.