PDA

View Full Version : First Class or Priority Mail for those Mail Drops that aren't UPS/FedEx?

Coosa
04-08-2013, 13:11
So my Mail Drop boxes are sitting here in their "Free from the Post Office" Priority Mail Boxes and I'm wondering :-? ... Should I use First Class or Priority Mail to mail them? Do you recommend UPS/FedEx if they're not going to a Post Office? I know SOME of the places that accept Mail Drops request UPS or non-USPS delivery, but not all.

What't's the consensus? What worked for you former Thrus and what works for you Section Hikers?

Thanks for the input.
Coosa

Chaco Taco
04-08-2013, 13:29
I did the Flat Rate boxes for the couple of drops I did. I also used one of the flat rate boxes as a bounce box. If it fits, it ships!

Jack Tarlin
04-08-2013, 13:33
Always use Priority, the extra $ is worth it. It'll get where it's going MUCH faster and also, Priority mail can be bumped or shifted elsewhere without further charge as long as you haven't opened it.

barf_jay
04-08-2013, 13:40
I section hike and normally ship priority mail, there are some benefits:

Features

Delivery within 2 to 3 days in most cases
Free Package Pickup*
Includes USPS Tracking when you ship online
Saturday delivery** and residential delivery at no extra cost
Free boxes (can order online or pickup at post office)
If you need to return, it can be done with little hassle.

Dogwood
04-08-2013, 14:13
Priority Flat Rate and those free Priority Flat Rate boxes USPS offers at PO's. Mailed this way, to PO's and resupply pts that hold them, is the way to go, IMO almost exclusively! Extra cost is typically minimal between First Class and Priority and the extra perks you get with the Priority USPS option far outweighs the small pittance you pay extra. This is especially true for sending resupply boxes when hiking! My Aunt and Uncle retired from the US Postal Service after decades of employment there.

A lot of times when resupply pts(campgrounds, lodges, hotels, outfitters, hostels, etc) are willing to hold a box for you they want you to mail it UPS/Fed Ex because they want your box delivered directly to their doorsteps. When mailing a box via USPS sometimes these kind folks have to go to another location, like a PO, that MAY be quite a bit of distance away.

Dogwood
04-08-2013, 14:27
BTW, if you have used Flat Rate Priority Boxes I don't think you can go First Class. That's the whole idea of Flat Rate Priority boxes, it's a set price for basically everything you can jam into a box. If you do use the boxes and want to mail another way you would have(I think) to entirely wrap the box in something like brown wrapping paper.

Venchka
04-08-2013, 14:34
BTW, if you have used Flat Rate Priority Boxes I don't think you can go First Class. That's the whole idea of Flat Rate Priority boxes, it's a set price for basically everything you can jam into a box. If you do use the boxes and want to mail another way you would have(I think) to entirely wrap the box in something like brown wrapping paper.

Correct. Don't rock the boat.

Wayne

jbwood5
04-08-2013, 14:37

.... or turn the box inside out and use your own packing tape to seal the box. I see E-Bay sellers doing that often.

Dogwood
04-08-2013, 14:46
Here's another tip that might get you into and outta busy PO's quicker. Put postage on your boxes before going into the PO. You'll know the set postage for Priority Flat Rate boxes ahead of time by perusing the USPS website. OFTEN, I can just walk in with my packages with enough postage already on the box and lay them on the counter and one of the postal employees will snatch them up from me WITHOUT HAVING TO WAIT IN LONG LINES.

Coosa
04-08-2013, 14:48
.... or turn the box inside out and use your own packing tape to seal the box. I see E-Bay sellers doing that often.

Must be using OLD boxes. The new ones I just picked up at the PO have the words "Priority Mail" emblazoned diagonally on the inside. Probably to discourage such practices.

I'm definitely going Priority except to Killington (Sherburne Pass) where they state UPS accepted.

Thanks for the insight!
Coosa
26 days to MD > Katahdin

Dogwood
04-08-2013, 14:49
Yeah, that's another good idea jbwood. Really, if you are creative, no need to buy brown cardboard boxes.

Venchka
04-08-2013, 16:26
Shipping Priority Mail boxes is sooooooooooooo easy. Everything can be done online. You even get about $0.50 off of the postage. Pay for the postage with a credit card. Print the mailing label. Attach to the box. Arrange pick up or take to a post office. Done.

Wayne

QiWiz
04-09-2013, 15:47
I used priority mail for 5 resupply boxes for a long section-hike in 2011; none were sent to a post office. You will find that for the weight of a typical resupply box, the flat rate medium or large priority mail boxes work well for 3-4 day and 5-6 day quantities of resupply stuff.

Blissful
04-09-2013, 21:21
First class boxes automatically goes priority because of the weight.
I sent several UPS this time around to a motel and NOC. No issues.

sliderule
04-10-2013, 19:03
... Should I use First Class or Priority Mail to mail them?

Have you investigated the maximum allowed weight for a First-Class parcel?

Any of your mail drops going to be 13 oz. or less?

Bags4266
04-10-2013, 19:42
Just sent one today to the hiker hostel. It was seven pounds. Cost me $32 bucks, Ouch!!!!

Teacher & Snacktime
04-10-2013, 20:01

DON'T USE THE BOX UNLESS YOU'RE SHIPPING IT PRIORITY! I learned the hard way that the PO considers it "stealing" if you use their box in any way other than their intended purpose. I covered one in brown paper, but since it was the same size as the provided boxes the clerk asked me flat out if I'd used their box. When I hesitated, she said that since she suspected it, she had a right to open the packaging to check. If she did and it was their box, then she'd have to call the police and prosecute for theft. Seriously, for a $2-3 dollar value of a box. I took it back home and repackaged, then brought it back to Adolpha the Postal Lady and shipped my package.

Coosa
04-11-2013, 20:39
Have you investigated the maximum allowed weight for a First-Class parcel?

Any of your mail drops going to be 13 oz. or less?

A Mail Drop less than 13 Ounces???

Only if it's Maps & Trail Guide Pages.

;)
Coosa

BillyGr
04-11-2013, 22:02
Should I use First Class or Priority Mail to mail them?

Have you investigated the maximum allowed weight for a First-Class parcel? Any of your mail drops going to be 13 oz. or less?

A Mail Drop less than 13 Ounces??? Only if it's Maps & Trail Guide Pages.

There is another class for packages which is similar to First Class for letters, I don't remember what the name of it is at the moment - I'll assume that's what you were thinking of.
It is cheaper (though probably not as much as it used to be), but then you have to buy boxes (or get them somehow - sometimes stores have boxes they will give out), since as noted above only Priority Mail can use the boxes you have gotten for free) and it may take longer to travel, so it may (or may not) be worth it for you.

Mountain Mike
04-11-2013, 22:43
I also filled out a change of address card at every PO I stopped at in case someone sent me something that arrived after I was late. Also a good idea incase you stop by a PO when it is closed & you decide to push on.

MuddyWaters
04-12-2013, 00:28
First class has a 13oz weight limit.
You cannot ship big heavy boxes first class. Only letters and small packages 13 oz or less.

You could ship them via Parcel Post.
It is virtually the same thing as priority, maybe take 1 day longer, maybe not.
I ship lots of items via parcel post. It includes delivery tracking. Only a dollar or two cheaper than priority.
If have heavy boxes priority flat rate may be best.

For instance, I shipped a tarp I sold recently. Package wt was about 2.25 lbs. By parcel post it was $9, by priority mail it would have been $11.
Shipping time clear across country was to be delivered on 5th business day.

sliderule
04-13-2013, 21:07
A Mail Drop less than 13 Ounces???

Only if it's Maps & Trail Guide Pages.

;)
Coosa

That pretty much makes this entire exchange moot, doesn't it?

Effectively, first class is not an option for mail drops.

Gramps
04-20-2013, 22:33
DON'T USE THE BOX UNLESS YOU'RE SHIPPING IT PRIORITY! I learned the hard way that the PO considers it "stealing" if you use their box in any way other than their intended purpose. I covered one in brown paper, but since it was the same size as the provided boxes the clerk asked me flat out if I'd used their box. When I hesitated, she said that since she suspected it, she had a right to open the packaging to check. If she did and it was their box, then she'd have to call the police and prosecute for theft. Seriously, for a $2-3 dollar value of a box. I took it back home and repackaged, then brought it back to Adolpha the Postal Lady and shipped my package.

That clerk was way out of line with that comment. You should have filed a complaint. I have worked for USPS for 25+ years and that is uncalled for. And unless she suspected you were shipping something illegal, she has no right to open your box. That is the job of the postal inspectors.