PDA

View Full Version : Allegheny 100 mile challenge.

cave man
04-08-2013, 14:14
The Allegheny 100 miles challenge in 50 hours.

Thoughts or advice?

How would you go about getting this done, im not much of a trail runner so this is a huge attempt for me. the trail isnt too difficult though. Just hike all night and sleep for about 4 hours? then get back to hiking?

patman25
04-08-2013, 14:42
Since it's a two day event, I would imagine you wouldn't sleep at all. Carry just your water, food, and willpower to force your way through it. I've never done one of these, would like to, but that's how I'd tackle it. :)

QiWiz
04-08-2013, 15:38
The Allegheny 100 miles challenge in 50 hours.

Thoughts or advice?

How would you go about getting this done, im not much of a trail runner so this is a huge attempt for me. the trail isnt too difficult though. Just hike all night and sleep for about 4 hours? then get back to hiking?

FYI, there are 25, 50, and 75-mile options in addition to the 100-mile option. Those who have done it typically do not run, just pack really light and keep moving, walking quickly for long hours each day. This is what the most successful finisher has done each time. The event begins at 6 PM on Friday and ends at 8 PM on Sunday. For headlamp hiking on Friday night, it works best to be with a small group as more headlamps and eyes make it easier to not lose the trail. You will probably not need to do more night hiking after Friday.

I did the 50-mile option last year, finishing about noon on Sunday. Hiked till about 10 PM (10 miles or so) on Friday night; on trail for about 12 hours on Saturday (7 AM to 7 PM) for about 27-28 miles, and finished the remainder on Sunday. I carried a very light kit, but did have a tarp shelter, NeoAir, sleeping quilt, and an esbit stove and beer can pot for a hot dinner on Saturday.

This year I will try the 75-mile option. Hoping to hike about 20-21 miles on Friday night, get past Kellettville, expecting to finish about 2 AM and get 4-5 hours sleep. Then up and on trail early Saturday for 30-35 miles, until I get past Henry's Mill. The rest on Sunday. Gonna try to go as light as possible and eat while hiking. Also going to do some training and feet-toughening ahead of time, which I did not do last year.

For me the 100 is just too many miles, but the 75 is a significant challenge.

Cookerhiker
04-08-2013, 19:48
Pardon my ignorance but where does this occur?

Nemofish
04-08-2013, 20:16
I believe it takes place on the North Country Trail in Pennsylvania.

Malto
04-08-2013, 20:49
100 miles in 50 hours doesn't require all that much different hiking than normal high mile days. I would do 10 on Friday, start at 5:00am on Saturday and do 50-52. That would leave a fairly reasonable 38-40 which could easily be done on Sunday. No need to do extensive night hiking if you are in shape to be able to do this. If you have to do 20 hour days then the 100 mile option is likely to result in injury. My two cents.

cave man
04-09-2013, 00:27
Thanks for the info Qiwiz and goodluck this year. Do they allow you to leave food at the checkpoints or is that considered be assisted also do they provide water there too? Not a fan of AM but im guessing i wont want to carry my filter.

At first i kinda made a time schedual seeing what type of miles i had to do in certain time blocks, but then i threw it out, comes down to conditioning in the long run.

fredmugs
04-09-2013, 13:18
Now I want to try this. I did the Smokies in 2 days so this sounds doable.

QiWiz
04-09-2013, 14:11
Pardon my ignorance but where does this occur?

It takes place in western PA on the 100 miles of North Country Trail that go through the Allegheny National Forest. Midpoint is crossing of Rt. 666 at Henry's Mill.

QiWiz
04-09-2013, 14:56
Thanks for the info Qiwiz and goodluck this year. Do they allow you to leave food at the checkpoints or is that considered be assisted also do they provide water there too? Not a fan of AM but im guessing i wont want to carry my filter.

At first i kinda made a time schedual seeing what type of miles i had to do in certain time blocks, but then i threw it out, comes down to conditioning in the long run.

Thanks for the good wishes. No water provided, but there are numerous stream crossings. I only carry at most a liter with me and camel up using a SteriPen when I get to a stream. This year I will use a Sawyer Squeeze instead of the SteriPen. Will have mini-droppers of Aqua Mira as a backup.

I know some folks who cached some food or treats (like fruit, cold drinks in a cooler on ice, etc) in a vehicle along the route. Probably not for the purist, but this event is pretty much on an honor system with no monitors checking your progress along the route. There are trail logs at some road crossings that let you enter the time you got there and messages to others, etc., but there is no requirement that you use them.

RCBear
04-09-2013, 15:29
I have participate in the Rachel Carson Trail Challenge held in Alleghany twice. it is a 36.6 mile endurance hike (still billed as 34 but was lengthed a few years ago) that you are given 15 hours to complete. pretty brutal trail with over 9,000 ft elev change over the course. Not a two dayer but it is pretty much balls to the wall, as yours obviously would be. some that were endurance runners go with almost nothing more than a little water and a couple power bars and just blaze through. Even though they had periodic water and banana stops about every 8 miles I still carried a small camelback and shot blocks to get me over that next hill when needed.

I doubt most would stop for sleep other than short rests. I also did the grand canyon Rim to Rim to Rim which is unofficial (and highly discouraged by park rangers), and needs to be done in 24 hours to be recognized. Again balls out and the real endurance guys go with very little and blow through. My goal in both events was simply complete in the allowable time without vaporlocking. Was immensely satisfying but absolutely pushed my physical and mental boundaries beyond what i thought i had. Good luck and have fun!

fredmugs
04-10-2013, 07:59
Just saw that registration is full.

juma
04-10-2013, 09:21
*****shisa!

QiWiz
04-10-2013, 11:45
Just saw that registration is full.

You could come out anyway, but would have to be prepared to get a shuttle to the start from where you leave your vehicle, or visa versa. It would probably be relatively easy to yogi a ride to your vehicle from someone else who finishes at about the same time as you. No guarantee of this, obviously. Hitching back to the starting point would not be simple. Registrants can park their vehicle at their expected end point (25, 50, 75, or 100 miles) and are shuttled by bus/van to the starting point as long as they are there by a designated time. You could also contact Keith Klos (event organizer) to see if he has anyway of increasing the registration limit. I have no idea if this is possible.

cave man
04-10-2013, 18:26
Looks like I'm going for a "casual" hike the same weekend now.:-?

Not a huge deal to be registered but suprised they limited it to only 100 ppl

handlebar
04-10-2013, 20:51
Looks like I'm going for a "casual" hike the same weekend now.:-?

Not a huge deal to be registered but suprised they limited it to only 100 ppl

I think that's all they can handle with the needed shuttles.

thebrewguy
04-15-2013, 18:56
I'm registered for the A-100 this year doing the full 100 miles. My pack weight will be about 9lbs without food or water. Bringing my hammock and minimal tarp for shelter, no extra clothes besides rain jacket extra socks and fleece for warmth, no cook kit so all non-cook food, AM for water treatment, and some camera gear.

My plan is to hike from 6pm to about 2am Friday night and hopefully cover the first 25 miles. Then get about 4-5 hours sleep, get up at sunrise and hike 40-50 miles on Saturday. Depending on how far I get will determine how long I sleep Saturday night. Then get up and finish Sunday.

jbwood5
04-15-2013, 19:59
I used to do 100 mile runs on fairly rugged trails. Of course, unless you are a top runner, there is usually quite a bit of hiking involved, especially through the night in rough areas. My best times were under 23 hours and the worst times when I actually completed were over 29 hours. I was pulled in a couple for being too slow (Western States 100 miler over the Sierras at age 57 and age 60). 100 miles in one continuous period is pretty tough, but having 50 hours with the opportunity to cat-nap takes all the pressure off. I would still suggest that anyone that tries this be in fairly top hiking condition and it wouldn't hurt to have some running or long distance jogging base training under your belt.

I actually swore off 100 mile events after the last failure (too old I guess), but this event seems attractive for other reasons, including the fact that it is a fund raiser for the trai. I might have to give it a shot after I retire which would probably put me at age 66 (yikes!).

fredmugs
04-16-2013, 07:15
[QUOTE=thebrewguy;1460011My plan is to hike from 6pm to about 2am Friday night and hopefully cover the first 25 miles. Then get about 4-5 hours sleep, get up at sunrise and hike 40-50 miles on Saturday. Depending on how far I get will determine how long I sleep Saturday night. Then get up and finish Sunday.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly how I would approach this if I was doing it. Maybe next year.

cave man
04-19-2013, 15:10
That makes sense Handlebar, hopefully there will be others who arent registered and we can figure it out.

Brewguy, I have almost the same setup. do you use a daybag? Im not sure what im going to use yet, my Atmos 50 is a nice pack but its 2.8 and i fell its more than i need for this trip.

thebrewguy
04-19-2013, 22:27
That makes sense Handlebar, hopefully there will be others who arent registered and we can figure it out.

Brewguy, I have almost the same setup. do you use a daybag? Im not sure what im going to use yet, my Atmos 50 is a nice pack but its 2.8 and i fell its more than i need for this trip.

I was debating whether I could fit everything in my Camelbak Ridgerunner day pack, but I will probably just use my ULA Ohm 2.0 pack. It's got more room than ill need but not by much and it's less than 2lbs.
I think if you want to do it you can just show up that day. Worst case you are just an unofficial participant. Not like there's an award for doing it other than pride and self satisfaction.

QiWiz
04-24-2013, 12:14
I've been invited by the Allegheny chapter of the North Country Trail association to give a presentation on UL backpacking, with a specific focus on the Allegheny 100/75/50/25 endurance event. I'll be at the Amsler Spring Shelter on the NCT on Saturday morning, May 25th. A rep from Garmin will also be making a presentation on "GPS-101" at 9 AM; mine will follow.

Stop by if you are in the neighborhood! After the presentation, I'll be hiking on the NCT S to the start of the event, then N on Sat and Sun, with return S to the Kellettville Campground on Monday.

cave man
05-16-2013, 20:10
any word on extended registration? Also anyone willing to car pool?