PDA

View Full Version : minimalist footwear for hiking with heavy pack?

d3v
04-08-2013, 16:49
I've been running in new balance minimus zero trails and merrell trail gloves for 3 months now and really love the feel of them compared to traditional healed trainers and was wondering what the general consensus is regarding minimalist footwear while carrying heavy 40+ loads? Is this definite no-no and a supporting shoe/boot absolutely essential for hiking long distances with this sort of load weight?

1azarus
04-08-2013, 17:02
brooks cascadia would be my minimum for such a load... if i were ever forced to carry that much! i've not had much luck backpacking with the minimus except in the winter, with a larger size and with the added cushioning/support of superfeet inserts and a heavy winter-weight wool sock.

Storm
04-08-2013, 17:07
I think if you read enough on this site the first thing you will do is get your pack weight down. That aside I think it is pretty much an individual choice. I'm an old guy and need some ankle support. Still I don't wear heavy leather boots. You should go on a few break in hikes and see if you are comfortable in minimal footwear, if not it would be better to find out now instead of later.

RedBeerd
04-08-2013, 17:40
Speaking from experience, I did it once for a 5 day trip with about 30-35 lbs. I wear NB minimus (have worn daily and run in them for about 1 year prior to this hike) and used them on this hike. Connecticut/ Mass area. They felt fine but I developed these odd pains in the center of my foot under my toes. I couldn't walk for a week. I can't describe it much more because nothing was visible. But this has never happened on any other hike with heavier duty shoes or boots. FWIW...

aaronthebugbuffet
04-08-2013, 18:51
The soles would be my concern. I've hiked 10 days on the minimus with 30 lbs or so, 20 mile days in rocky terrain. I was well conditioned with the shoe but my soles were sore at the end. I would probably need something with a thicker sole to continue hiking a really long hike.
Could always try though just have a back up plan.

Hairbear
04-09-2013, 01:23
you will have to toughen into it to be confortable. Be ready for alot of rock pointers at first.

JAK
04-09-2013, 05:57
I've been running in new balance minimus zero trails and merrell trail gloves for 3 months now and really love the feel of them compared to traditional healed trainers and was wondering what the general consensus is regarding minimalist footwear while carrying heavy 40+ loads? Is this definite no-no and a supporting shoe/boot absolutely essential for hiking long distances with this sort of load weight?I think it depends on the total weight on your feet, and how strong your arches and ankles are. I'm currently 215 pounds, about 50 pounds overweight. I can run in minimalist footwear, and I do, but I wouldn't throw another 40 pounds on top of that to go for a hike, in any footwear. If I was down to marathon running weight at 165, I probably could carry 40 pounds with minimalist footwear.

moytoy
04-09-2013, 06:35
It's my personal opinion that a shoe can help you carry more weight is overrated. I think that your ability to carry weight has more to do with your feet, ankles and legs than with what type shoe you wear. On the other hand a shoe can help protect your feet from rocks and sticks. I have a pair of NB minimus and I like them but they are fragile for hiking anything other than a nice trimmed soft bed trail. I plan on taking them on the AT with me but they will be hanging off my pack while I'm walking. If you try to do a thru with these shoes you could wear out a dozen or more shoes. That's a lot of expense.

Meriadoc
04-09-2013, 07:30
I've been running in new balance minimus zero trails and merrell trail gloves for 3 months now and really love the feel of them compared to traditional healed trainers and was wondering what the general consensus is regarding minimalist footwear while carrying heavy 40+ loads? Is this definite no-no and a supporting shoe/boot absolutely essential for hiking long distances with this sort of load weight?

No, a supporting shoe or boot is not required. The fitness of your feet and calves is required, as is a good walking motion. Start doing some hikes with your full pack (or partial pack) and see how it feels. Start off slowly. Your speed and distance each day may initially be more limited than someone's who uses a shoe or boot to protect their feet. But you can build it up.

The Barefoot Sisters did it, well, barefoot. And their book is a good read too. I know a thru hiker who used Five Fingers for the whole trail. (His pack was UL though - 10 lbs base weight.) I was still in the process of building my feet up when I started my thru, so I used slightly beefier footwear like the Altra Lone Peak, Brooks PureGrit, and two Teva sandals. I'm about to hit the trail for two weeks with some Vivo shoes, albeit a pack weight of about 30 lbs.

Tipi Walter
04-09-2013, 09:24
It's my personal opinion that a shoe can help you carry more weight is overrated. I think that your ability to carry weight has more to do with your feet, ankles and legs than with what type shoe you wear. On the other hand a shoe can help protect your feet from rocks and sticks.

I've hiked many a mile with an 80 lb pack in just bare feet and crocs---along creek trails requiring many crossings. It's possible of course and the light foot weight is pleasant but I always enjoy returning to my Asolo Fugitive or 520 boots. D3v asks about hiking with a heavy pack and to me heavy would be 60 lbs or above. The biggest problem I see with light footwear is poor tread and poor traction. Traction is critical with a heavy pack. Lug soles can save your butt on wet muddy trails. Ergo---boots.

QiWiz
04-09-2013, 15:17
Speaking from experience, I did it once for a 5 day trip with about 30-35 lbs. I wear NB minimus (have worn daily and run in them for about 1 year prior to this hike) and used them on this hike. Connecticut/ Mass area. They felt fine but I developed these odd pains in the center of my foot under my toes. I couldn't walk for a week. I can't describe it much more because nothing was visible. But this has never happened on any other hike with heavier duty shoes or boots. FWIW...

+1
Even with a light pack, I found that after about 8 miles, I was feeling the effect of ball-of-foot pounding with the NB Minimus. Since I usually hike more mileage than that, I no longer use them for backpacking, but still use them for shorter hikes; help with feet toughening.

RED-DOG
04-09-2013, 19:18
If i was packing heavy i think a Mid-weight hiking boot would be essential, hiking boots offer more support.

swjohnsey
04-09-2013, 19:50
My New Balance Minimus lasted 'bout 100 miles, Gorham to Monson.

MuddyWaters
04-09-2013, 22:31
I understand the minimalist approach for running, on roads, and somewhat on good trails.
But humans also need shoes to protect their feet, especially on rocky terrain

I wouldnt hesitate to carry 40 lbs wearing my Inov8 Terroc 330s, or a shoe like the mountain masochist.

I probably wouldnt enjoy it wearing Inov8 roclite 295s, I dont like pavement with them.

I wouldnt consider it wearing a NB minimus. Granted, Ive never worn one except to try on in store. But I know I wouldnt want to.

There is a line you cross at some point, separating what may be good for you, from what is not good for you.

JAK
04-09-2013, 22:42
I think we really need to include clothing worn, and excess body fat, along with our pack weight. It's not just the pack. It's the excess fat. I've got about 65 pounds of fat myself, of which 50 is excess. Yeah, I'm used to it, but only to a point. You can't compare one person's experience to another's based on pack weight alone.

Berserker
04-11-2013, 11:57
I have a couple of pairs of Vibram Five Fingers, and some other various shoes that are approaching a more mimimalist styling. While I love doing day hikes and my reqular excercising in these, I haven't found them to be particularly enjoyable when carrying a pack. For me it's mostly the lack of cushioning. The feet, ankles and knees seem to have to take up for the lack of cushioning and everything just gets sore after a while. I'm sure there are great variances between individuals. So the best way to find out would be to just go on some short trips, or load up the pack and carry it around to see what happens.