PDA

View Full Version : Running socks?

Labojo
04-08-2013, 18:24
I am getting away from my heavy boots and moving to a lighter shoes. I believe I will be getting the Merrell Proterra Sports. I was wondering, do most hikers who wear lighter shoes like these go for a thin "running sock" as opposed to a thicker "hiking sock"?

aaronthebugbuffet
04-08-2013, 18:37
I still use Darn Tough wool socks. The hiking versions.I've tried thinner running socks and they don't seem to hold up to day after day of long miles.

haileydp
04-12-2013, 16:26
Nike anti-blister socks are dry and comfortable. They are super thin so you can add thicker socks over them for colder weather. They are excellent protection from hot spots.

staehpj1
04-12-2013, 18:50
Inexpensive low cut poly socks, 4 pairs for about $15, UnderArmor brand, work for me for trail running, long distance bicycling, and hiking/backpacking.

Marta
04-12-2013, 19:56
I use whatever thin, quick-drying liner socks I can find.

kythruhiker
04-12-2013, 20:07
I still use Darn Tough wool socks. The hiking versions.I've tried thinner running socks and they don't seem to hold up to day after day of long miles.

I'll second the vote for Darn Toughs. I use the Trek series 1/4 Merino wool for hiking and running. Like Aaron, thinner socks haven't held up well for me.

Serial 07
04-12-2013, 22:12
i use both injiji toe socks and swiftwick socks during the summer months...swiftwick makes some nice, tight, thin but cushioned socks...my socks match the season and i typically hike in running shoes (weather permitting of course)...darn tough socks are probably the best socks i've ever used, though i've been wearing FITS lately and loving those too...i still have and wear a pair of DT's that i wore on the trail in '08...

MuddyWaters
04-12-2013, 22:52
I wear the thinnest lightest running socks I can find.
Cheap polyester works just as well as merino.
I use socks generally with NO padding, and very open mesh on top of the foot.

Defeet Wooleator is probably my favorite
Darn tough 1/4 crew mesh is OK, but a bit heavy
Thin asics running socks
even starter brand from walmart.

Roomy toes is the most important thing.

grayfox
04-13-2013, 12:37
+1 on room for your toes. Light socks dry fast. Try the light ones first and if you have problems add padding where you need it but don't made the shoes too tight. I like my socks that have padding just on the bottom when I wear my shoes with the hard insoles. An old pair of shoes that was uncomfortable got modified and now needs padding under the bare and open lacing!!! They're your feet, you gotta do what makes them happy--give them room and keep them dry. A pair of cushy socks or slippers for camp at night make up for some of the daily abuse on the trail. In my experience blisters come from "too"--too tight, too loose, too wet, too...

maybe clem
04-13-2013, 17:01
I wear trail runners and still use hiking socks and sock liners.

mhurley
04-15-2013, 11:58
I wear trail runners, but I also wear Smart Wool trekking socks. Have never had any blisters including the 20 plus mile days.

redseal
04-15-2013, 17:36
I use trail runners and use either the Darn Tough or the SmartWool hiking socks. I just made sure to get a shoe size slightly bigger than needed for thin socks.

Malto
04-15-2013, 21:11
Wrightsocks are my go to. Echo getting the right size, your toes will thank you. As far as life, I sent in two new pairs of Wrightsocks with every new pair of shoes. I replaced my shoes on average every 550 miles. Are there socks that last longer, absolutely. But as with everything there are trade offs. You will have to weigh what is important to you.

http://www.sockcompany.com/wranbldolaco.html

FarmerChef
04-16-2013, 10:16
I wear minimalist trail runners and use running socks. I don't have challenges with blisters and they dry fast. In the cooler months I wear darn toughs and love these as well. If it makes a difference though, I'm only carrying up to 35 pounds tops and that's on day 1 with 5 mouths to feed. That weight drops very fast as the days go on so I'm also not bearing a lot of weight on those socks. I couldn't say what would happen if I was carrying a consistently heavier pack. The lightweight socks might wear out faster.

Helas
05-25-2013, 09:22
Nike anti-blister socks are dry and comfortable. They are super thin so you can add thicker socks over them for colder weather. They are excellent protection from hot spots.

I am totally agree with you and wants to appreciate you that you suggest this socks. I have alredy used it and found it really nice and comfortable. Must try to take it.

Praha4
05-25-2013, 10:11
I use the Icebreaker merino Hike-Lite mini socks, or Defeet Wooleators. There are other good brands, but you should try using a thinner, liner like merino wool sock.

nickgann
06-01-2013, 20:35
I tend to hike with my mountain biking socks man. I really enjoy the consistent compression of my Swiftwick socks, the tightness even when wet never gives out and that is a huge plus for me.

Spirit Walker
06-01-2013, 21:50
I wear Wigwam cool-light low socks or quarter socks for hiking and running. They are very durable and comfortable. I tried light socks and liners and my toenails went right through.

RockDoc
06-13-2013, 00:26
Drymax are used by a lot of leading ultra runners.
I've used them for hiking and found them comfortable and durable.

Shonryu
06-13-2013, 02:15
Darn tough mid hiker think they are call Vermont s

daddytwosticks
06-13-2013, 07:12
I hike in New Balance "all terrain" running shoes. I have been using two pair of very thin liner socks now for some time. No blisters, cool feet, and these socks are easy to rinse out and dry at the end of the day. Very lightweight too. In cooler weather, I go with a single pair of light to midweight synthetic hiking socks. :)

dtougas
06-19-2013, 22:51
Another vote for Injinji here. I hate having restricted toes, and I find a lot of socks a little constraining in the toes department. The Merrell Proterra line of shoes (which you said you are considering) uses their anatomic last (the same last as their Barefoot line), so you will have lots of room for your toes to splay in those shoes.

Kc Fiedler
03-19-2014, 23:11
I wear the thinnest lightest running socks I can find.
Cheap polyester works just as well as merino.
I use socks generally with NO padding, and very open mesh on top of the foot.

Defeet Wooleator is probably my favorite
Darn tough 1/4 crew mesh is OK, but a bit heavy
Thin asics running socks
even starter brand from walmart.

Roomy toes is the most important thing.

How many miles (on average) do you get out of a pair of wolleators?

Other
03-20-2014, 01:56
I have never been able to wear out a pair of darn tough socks. I don't keep records of this stuff but I must have worn them for 10,000 miles. always seem to lose one before they wear out, and then I keep an odd pair in my pack to sleep in. Not inexpensive but they are comfortable and wear like iron.