PDA

View Full Version : Wood buring stove can?

canoe
04-08-2013, 20:35
I have seen hundreds of alky can stoves. Has anyone tried to use a can for a wood buring stove. or is it to soft?

JAK
04-08-2013, 20:48
It can't be aluminum, which will melt, even burn, but cans totally work, but need to be large. Traditionally I think the original Hobo stoves were those big coffee cans. A big Apple Juice or Tomato Juice can will work, but it is still a little small for really cold winter conditions, like 0 deg F. That's if you want to keep it simple. If you can make charcoal as you go, or are guaranteed dry fuel, or have a proven insulated and gasifying or top down burning design, you can go smaller. Combining wood with alcohol or vegetable oil burners might also allow you togo smaller. Have fun.

Kookork
04-08-2013, 20:59
Apple juice or tomato juice cans work as a wood stove but they will not last long. Couple of days and they are consumed and softened by fire.

canoe
04-08-2013, 21:04
Thanks guys for the info

SCRUB HIKER
04-09-2013, 04:25
Joe at ZPacks has some info ... http://zpacks.com/accessories/ministove.shtml. It looks like he used the tin-can windscreen setup for a lot of his PCT hike. http://zpacks.com/about/pct_gear.shtml

moldy
04-09-2013, 07:38
I fequently make what we call a "Appalachain Trail Flame Thrower" Take a coffee can and punch some holes in it and make a handle like a paint can has from a coat hanger. Pack it with a pine cone and some small hunks of wood. Once it starts to burn clip or tie a short rope to the handle and start swinging it around your head quickley and the air is forced into the holes in the can. You can get even wet wood to burn this way.

Nutbrown
04-09-2013, 09:01
ditto on the coffee can. I tried going to wood burning, but the smoke killed that desire, and the nasty tar buildup on my pretty pot.

atraildreamer
04-09-2013, 09:52
Paint can.

Wise Old Owl
04-09-2013, 10:00
Paint can takes up too much room... Pretty pots need liquid soap, here is an early test

atraildreamer
04-09-2013, 10:20
Paint can takes up too much room... Pretty pots need liquid soap, here is an early test

Paint cans come in all sizes:

and the metal is heavy duty compared to food cans.

Nice stove you have there.

QiWiz
04-09-2013, 15:13
I don't have a link to give you, but if you hunt online you should be able to find directions to make a DIY wood stove made out of two cans (one inside the other) that is very similar to a Bushbuddy stove. Steel cans will last for many burns but are not the lightest or most compact option, though the price is right.

Another Kevin
04-09-2013, 17:11
I don't have a link to give you, but if you hunt online you should be able to find directions to make a DIY wood stove made out of two cans (one inside the other) that is very similar to a Bushbuddy stove. Steel cans will last for many burns but are not the lightest or most compact option, though the price is right.

The outer can can even be aluminum, it doesn't have hot coals sitting directly in it.. But the weight of the steel for the inner can, and the aggravation of dealing with a wood-fired stove, has always put me off from trying this one. Alcohol give me a stove that Just Works, and I don't have to soap my pot.

When I was out with 1azarus about a month ago, he made me a cup of hot chocolate with one of your wood stoves. That was neat. (I then made him curry. Over alcohol.)

QiWiz
04-09-2013, 19:49
The outer can can even be aluminum, it doesn't have hot coals sitting directly in it.. But the weight of the steel for the inner can, and the aggravation of dealing with a wood-fired stove, has always put me off from trying this one. Alcohol give me a stove that Just Works, and I don't have to soap my pot.

When I was out with 1azarus about a month ago, he made me a cup of hot chocolate with one of your wood stoves. That was neat. (I then made him curry. Over alcohol.)

trying to curry favor, are you?

Another Kevin
04-09-2013, 19:52
trying to curry favor, are you?

No, just favor curry.

shelterbuilder
04-09-2013, 21:11
ditto on the coffee can. I tried going to wood burning, but the smoke killed that desire, and the nasty tar buildup on my pretty pot. "Back in the day" we used to rub the outside of the pot with Ivory soap to keep the soot and tar from sticking. Liquid soap works too, but can be messier. I'm a metal-worker by trade, and several years ago, I took some of our scrap metal at work (18 or 20 gauge, I think) and made a wood-burning stove...basically a can-within-a-can...it drafts like CRAZY and burns sticks up to 5" long and as big around as your thumb. I used some expanded steel mesh to keep the fire off of the bottom of the stove; when the mesh burns out, I can replace it. Unfortunately, the darn thing is WAY TOO HEAVY for backpacking, so I use it for car camping and as an emergency stove in the back of the truck.

harleynemo
04-18-2013, 22:46
I have mad a DIY wood stove with a paint can and a Progresso soup can with mesh in the bottom that holds the fuel off the bottom of the paint can. It is a quart can that fits in the side pocket of my pack and it has a pot stand made from a tuna can that nests.

Soot is not really a problem, I put the pot in a cozy when done heating water and that is where is stays while I eat and packed up.

The design for the wood stove was from a YouTube video from Yankee Prepper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=8-xJxJthwuk

FarmerChef
04-19-2013, 10:11
I don't mind the soot on my pots. Actually, I prefer it. The dark color helps the pot absorb more heat more quickly. It lives in it's own stuff sack so it doesn't make the rest of my pack insides sooty.

As for the OPs original question - no. I have never seen a wood stove made out of an aluminum soda can. Just too thin.