PDA

View Full Version : Getting from Shreveport, LA to Maine?

wesleygalles
04-08-2013, 20:55
What's my best bet guys? Amtrak? Greyhound? Flying seems stupidly expensive, so that's out. And what town in Maine should be my destination? Bangor?

MuddyWaters
04-08-2013, 21:07
Unless you want to take several days on buses , flying will be your best bet
Amtrak costs more than flying usually.

When airfare is less than car gas, its a bargain.

wesleygalles
04-08-2013, 21:17
I won't mind it taking a day or two if I can save some money.

johnnybgood
04-08-2013, 21:31
Most routes to Baxter SP lead directly through Bangor. If Cyr Bus Lines still shuttles from Bangor to the station at Medway--that's appx. 30 miles to Baxter State Park .
Arrange a shuttle to pick you up from there.

MuddyWaters
04-08-2013, 21:38
The bus would likely be cheapest with advance purchase, non refundable.
With purchase at the counter, or refundable ticket, etc, and need 2 days food from mcdonalds, etc, It would be similar to airfare.

wesleygalles
04-08-2013, 22:59
Well I actually found an airline ticket to Bangor for only $255! Not bad!

wesleygalles
04-08-2013, 23:04
Well I actually found an airline ticket to Bangor for only $255! Not bad!

Anyone here doing a sobo this year? I'd like to book my ticket so that I can arrive in Maine and start with someone else if possible!

slowfeet
04-09-2013, 01:02
if you book 2-3 weeks in advance and leave on a tue or wed, tickets can be alot cheaper.

IIRC I paid $108 Total(2 weeks advance, left on a tuesday) from Houston to Bangor. Check orbitz/etc

Feral Bill
04-09-2013, 01:42
The bus would likely be cheapest with advance purchase, non refundable.
With purchase at the counter, or refundable ticket, etc, and need 2 days food from mcdonalds, etc, It would be similar to airfare. Bad idea. Greyhound customer service is the worst, and if (more like when) there is a problem a refundable ticket can be a life saver.

Mountain Mike
04-09-2013, 02:34
Bad idea. Greyhound customer service is the worst, and if (more like when) there is a problem a refundable ticket can be a life saver.
Done Greyhound numerous times. Eastern corridor now has most buses outfitted with outlets & wifi. Times I have had to change tickets were mostly due to how you presented yourself to ticket agent & what they could do within policy.