PDA

View Full Version : Gear List for a Hammocker please critique...

SOLcreature
04-08-2013, 21:55
So I am nearing completion with my pack, I have not had a chance to get on a scale just yet but my calculations are pointing me to about 15lbs not including food weight at this point. Let me know if it looks like I have missed anything, or if I should simply not bring something else if you would be so kind...

Pack: North Face Terra 65L
Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 DL
4x ultralight tent stakes
Thermarest Ridgerest Sleep Pad
Marmot 40* trailblazer sleep sack
MSR Pocket Rocket
2x small fuel canisters
3L Bladder w/hose and valve
Sawyer Squeeze filtration system
Koppen Haltbar Trekking poles (collapsible)
1 pair of gloves (standard cushion-palm breathable leather work gloves)
Titanium 2 qt cook pot with frying pan-style/lid
Pot Cozy (covers completely for re-hydrating with less fuel)
Garcia backpacker Bear Canister
Columbia lightweight hiking rain jacket and pants
1 pair of Gaiters
Oboes Hiking Boots
Clogs for camp
Osprey Pack Cover
4x Merino wool briefs
4x Merino wool Darn Tough Socks
1x lightweight cargo hiking shorts
1x North Face convertible hiking pants
1x fleece camp shorts
1x camp black long sleeve T
1x moisture wicking hiking T
1x other black long sleeve T
1x Black T
1x workout outfit for swimming/wearing while doing laundry
3x Bandanas
1x Booney Hat
1x Insect Headnet
Toothbrush
small tube toothpaste
small floss
8oz camp soap biodegradable concentrated soap
8oz camp wash biodegradable concentrated laundry detergent
Paktowel anti-bacterial towel
SOL Emergency Thermal Blanket/shelter
privy hole digger with emergency matches in handle (I chose to carry despite the critics on this)
Survival knife with compass and emergency kit/surgical tools in handle
Waterproof 80 Lumens Headlamp (+1 set spare batteries)
waterproof aluminum LED pocket light (takes same batteries, only carrying 1 set of spares)
50ft parachord
ultralight eating utensil
2 rolls biodegradable TP

I think that covers it. I am not looking so much for opinions on brands or qualitys and whatnot, as it won't be much help since the purchases have been made. Just want some experienced hammockers' input on the totality of my setup. I am not keen on carrying the freaking 2lb bear canister; but I have been through that argument with myself and inputs on the forum and that's just going to have to stay. I may ditch it and send it home after the smokies but we'll see.

I am planning to start May 4th from the southern terminus, not really sure how long I am going for, could be a thru if I make good enough time this summer and have the cash to spare on some warmer winter gear. I am not all that concerned with weight so far, I have been hiking with my pack plus some extra and seems to be okay at this point. What did I miss? What am I taking that I don't need? Thank you in advance for the kind assistance!

letstieoneon
04-09-2013, 00:45
Do you have a tarp, or did I miss it on the list? If so, don't forget to add two extra tent stakes for the BB tieouts! Good luck!

HYOH

T.S.Kobzol
04-09-2013, 05:36
15 lbs for all of that? Hmm. Ditch the mattress, 2 pairs of undies, 1 pair of socks. Add 2 tent stakes and underquilt and torso length foam pad

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2

T.S.Kobzol
04-09-2013, 05:38
Why 2 rolls of tp? 1 is enough. Where isyour tarp?

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2

lilricky
04-09-2013, 09:08
What are you going to use the paracord for? If you are going to be using it for laundry line, tarp line, general purpose, I would replace it with 50 feet of Zing-it. Also, what sort of tarp(like the others have mentioned) and what are you using for tie-outs for it?

lilricky
04-09-2013, 09:10
Also, a package of biodegradable wet biowipes are lighter than 2 rolls of TP and can be used to wipe yourself down, sort of a non-shower cleaning.

Nutbrown
04-09-2013, 09:11
How about an underquilt instead of the ridgerest? Much less of a pia.

SOLcreature
04-09-2013, 09:25
Thank you for the responses! I should have mentioned the 2 rolls are the very compact rolls of biodegradable TP. Great point, I am missing a tarp!
What is the cheapest lightweight option? Any recommendations?
As far as the 2 extra stakes, I haven't received the warbonnet in the mail just yet, so I wasn't exactly sure on the number of stakes, I will be needing more now for the tarp, yes?
As for removing socks and undies, I don't know if it's worth the loss in weight for me. Those are two areas I am pretty hellbent on protecting and I tend to get swamp-ass easy (TMI).
My thermarest is just a rolled foam-pad. Underquilting I just cannot do. I am too far over budget already and I cannot see paying the left leg they want for even a cheap one.
Again thank you very much everyone! WB has proven an invaluable asset to me through this process!

Tom Murphy
04-09-2013, 11:09
Thermarest Ridgerest Sleep Pad - I don't think this will be enough
Marmot 40* trailblazer sleep sack - I don't think this will be enough

Garcia backpacker Bear Canister - on the AT? why?

This is a LOT of clothes
4x Merino wool briefs
4x Merino wool Darn Tough Socks
1x fleece camp shorts

SOL Emergency Thermal Blanket/shelter - you might actually need this if you don't improve your sleep system; it is a PITA to repack and doesn'y pass any mounsture so your clothes will be soaked in the AM but it will help you stay warm

50ft parachord - why?

3L Bladder w/hose and valve - nice for day trips but repacking your bag after every refill gets old quick; 3 gatorade bottles works a lot better

Also a big water carrier for camp is a nice addtion - i.e. up platypus collapsible

SOLcreature
04-09-2013, 13:14
I keep getting so many mixed reviews I am lost here. The parachord is for a clothes line, I don't see the difference in using zing-it when I already have a nice length of para. The bear canister, I wasa told is a requirement now in some areas and also because it is for my own peace of mind going through Georgia and the smokies where I have been warned to be on my guard with my food. 3L bladder is nice and leightweight and flat, and my pack has it built in... why not use it instead of carrying the weight of 3 bottles?
As far as the warmth goes, I am not planning on hiking deep into the fall months, probably only be out there through the better part of the summer, my thoughts were I could simply put on my extra layers to sleep in on colder nights, rather than carry a heavier bag (and have to add another $100+ to my expenditures), this won't be warm enough you think? In testing this bag I was able to get it out on a 45* night and sat in a thin chair for hours, didn't feel a bit of cold. That was my thoughts also with the SOL blanket, of course I don't want to end up in a pool of sweat either.
As far as clothes go, I can't reduce myself to 1 pair of socks and briefs. I've tried to find comfort in that, and just can't bring myself to remove them given the little weight it would shave off. I may however reduce to 3 pair of each. my thoughts are that I will have one pair always dry for camp, one pair for hiking, and one pair to wear in town, and while I wash the others. Is this too farfetched?
Again thank you!
I also forgot to include that I was considering a pair of nice light long johns to counter the fact that I have a 40* bag, but then there I go adding clothes. If I were to do this, I would definitely remove a pair of each (socks/briefs).
I also have a thru-hikers companion of course ;)

T.S.Kobzol
04-09-2013, 13:29
When you get to camp, you put on fresh undies and go wash your swamp ass undies and hang them to dry :-) Same with socks. You rotate two pairs, washing your pair either every evening or every 2 days. The third pair is an insurance.

You better pack the widest possible mattress because you will probably be cold without the protection from below.

the two stakes you plan for your hammock ... When you pitch your tarp you will basically need 6 stakes (3 on each side) ... the middle stake will double up to stake the warbonnet as well.

Thank you for the responses! I should have mentioned the 2 rolls are the very compact rolls of biodegradable TP. Great point, I am missing a tarp!
What is the cheapest lightweight option? Any recommendations?
As far as the 2 extra stakes, I haven't received the warbonnet in the mail just yet, so I wasn't exactly sure on the number of stakes, I will be needing more now for the tarp, yes?
As for removing socks and undies, I don't know if it's worth the loss in weight for me. Those are two areas I am pretty hellbent on protecting and I tend to get swamp-ass easy (TMI).
My thermarest is just a rolled foam-pad. Underquilting I just cannot do. I am too far over budget already and I cannot see paying the left leg they want for even a cheap one.
Again thank you very much everyone! WB has proven an invaluable asset to me through this process!

T.S.Kobzol
04-09-2013, 13:31
Extra clothes or thicker sleeping bag will not help you on the bottom of the hammock where they will be compressed by your bodyweight. That is where you will be cold. You need a wider pad, probably the blue walmart one or something else to cover your shoulders when you lay in the hammock.

I keep getting so many mixed reviews I am lost here. The parachord is for a clothes line, I don't see the difference in using zing-it when I already have a nice length of para. The bear canister, I wasa told is a requirement now in some areas and also because it is for my own peace of mind going through Georgia and the smokies where I have been warned to be on my guard with my food. 3L bladder is nice and leightweight and flat, and my pack has it built in... why not use it instead of carrying the weight of 3 bottles?
As far as the warmth goes, I am not planning on hiking deep into the fall months, probably only be out there through the better part of the summer, my thoughts were I could simply put on my extra layers to sleep in on colder nights, rather than carry a heavier bag (and have to add another $100+ to my expenditures), this won't be warm enough you think? In testing this bag I was able to get it out on a 45* night and sat in a thin chair for hours, didn't feel a bit of cold. That was my thoughts also with the SOL blanket, of course I don't want to end up in a pool of sweat either.
As far as clothes go, I can't reduce myself to 1 pair of socks and briefs. I've tried to find comfort in that, and just can't bring myself to remove them given the little weight it would shave off. I may however reduce to 3 pair of each. my thoughts are that I will have one pair always dry for camp, one pair for hiking, and one pair to wear in town, and while I wash the others. Is this too farfetched?
Again thank you!
I also forgot to include that I was considering a pair of nice light long johns to counter the fact that I have a 40* bag, but then there I go adding clothes. If I were to do this, I would definitely remove a pair of each (socks/briefs).
I also have a thru-hikers companion of course ;)

Spirit Bear
04-09-2013, 13:38
I have the blackbird 1.1 double layer and use the yetti 20 degree underquilt and the Mamba 20 degree top quilt. If it dips below 40 I will even pack a piece of foam for the footbox.

Tarp wise Brandon at Warbonnet makes some good ones, go with the edge, it's his smallets tarp, only 10oz and is 126x98 inches.

Personally I have 2 tarps, the enu pro rainfly and the warbonnet mama jamba. The mama jamba blows the enu away in every category. I only use the enu for extra protection when car camping with my girlfriend or if she gets a bug up her ass to hike with me I will pack it.

bigcranky
04-09-2013, 13:46
The Ridgerest will be fine. I used it into the 20s in my hammock and it's plenty warm. Under quilts are more comfortable in some ways, but cost a lot more too.

The bladder is flat only when empty :) When filled it puts the volume of 3 liters of water inside your pack. I've seen plenty of fully stuffed packs where that's an issue. Also, getting it back in after you refill it can be a real PITA. (You can just filter directly into the bladder without removing it from the pack, of course.)

Hang your clothes from the hammock suspension. Paracord is fine for a clothes line, but stretches too much for me to use it for a bear hang.

Underwear: I like to have a dry pair of wool boxer briefs to sleep in. In the summer I don't wear them to hike, in cooler weather I have a second pair for hiking. Or I have one boxer and one long john and swap as needed. In town I wear my rain pants and jacket to do laundry -- everything else is in the washer! Note that one joy of merino wool is that it never really gets stinky, so I can wear the same pair for many days between laundry loads. Or just rinse it out and hang to dry.

The bear canister is only required for a 5-mile stretch that is easily avoided (well, walked through.) Camp at Lance Creek and just walk to Neels Gap the next day. It's really overkill otherwise, though if it makes you feel better, go ahead and take it. An Ursack will keep all the small critters out, and is a lot lighter and easier to pack.

Don't really need 8 oz of soap - take a small dropper bottle (Visene or similar), and skip the detergent. Anywhere you can do laundry will have detergent for sale or free.

I understand that you're not concerned about weight right now, and that your pack feels fine, but I also see you are from Tampa. This may not apply to you, but other folks from Florida have been somewhat surprised at the difference going steeply uphill makes.... :)

Spirit Bear
04-09-2013, 14:07
The Ridgerest will be fine. I used it into the 20s in my hammock and it's plenty warm. Under quilts are more comfortable in some ways, but cost a lot more too.

The bladder is flat only when empty :) When filled it puts the volume of 3 liters of water inside your pack. I've seen plenty of fully stuffed packs where that's an issue. Also, getting it back in after you refill it can be a real PITA. (You can just filter directly into the bladder without removing it from the pack, of course.)

Hang your clothes from the hammock suspension. Paracord is fine for a clothes line, but stretches too much for me to use it for a bear hang.

Underwear: I like to have a dry pair of wool boxer briefs to sleep in. In the summer I don't wear them to hike, in cooler weather I have a second pair for hiking. Or I have one boxer and one long john and swap as needed. In town I wear my rain pants and jacket to do laundry -- everything else is in the washer! Note that one joy of merino wool is that it never really gets stinky, so I can wear the same pair for many days between laundry loads. Or just rinse it out and hang to dry.

The bear canister is only required for a 5-mile stretch that is easily avoided (well, walked through.) Camp at Lance Creek and just walk to Neels Gap the next day. It's really overkill otherwise, though if it makes you feel better, go ahead and take it. An Ursack will keep all the small critters out, and is a lot lighter and easier to pack.

Don't really need 8 oz of soap - take a small dropper bottle (Visene or similar), and skip the detergent. Anywhere you can do laundry will have detergent for sale or free.

I understand that you're not concerned about weight right now, and that your pack feels fine, but I also see you are from Tampa. This may not apply to you, but other folks from Florida have been somewhat surprised at the difference going steeply uphill makes.... :)

Steeply downhills as well. I never knew what the downhills will do to your knees with packweight after a dozen or so PUDs. (Pointless Ups and Downs). Nothing tests you more than hiking up a mountain to only reach the summit and all you see are trees trees and more trees.

SOLcreature
04-09-2013, 14:38
Thanks so much guys! I am however, an idiot... and did not specify whether you meant a ground tarp or top end tarp. I did purchase the mamajama top tarp. Is it necessary to use a tarp on the ground underneath? I see many people doing it, but I thought this was mainly to step onto something dry in the morning more than any other functional purpose. I never thought about just simply wearing the rain gear and going commando to do laundry! Excellent tip my friend! Thank you!

Yeah being from Michigan and now in Tampa elevation changes are hard to come by. I have been walking in zig-zag patterns on steep grades (where I can find them) but it's not giving me a good enough idea of what I am up against I am sure. I think I am going to do 1 resupply bump box, think I'll cut what I can in half and send it (like soaps ;)) Which I did find 2x 3oz bottles that will work to reduce those. My sawyer filter also comes with a collapsible bladder to fill/transport/carry cook water/etc. but it has been known to break. The Pack I have has a nice feature of an expandable spandex pocket for the bladder on the outside of the pack, so it doesn't suck up a lot of pack space when filled. I will not be carrying more than 2L at a time in that most often I am sure, unless the day absolutely calls for it. I plan to carry a 20oz or Gatorade bottle for primary drinking and mixing.

So that stinking bear canister keeps coming up. I want to out the freaking thing, and I can return it... Yeah, I think it's gonna go. Ursack here I come. That shaves off 2+ lbs right there.

Wow I can't believe the prep is finally almost done. It's a good feeling for sure, glad to hear I am not going TOO crazy here. As always, thanks all!

SOLcreature
04-09-2013, 14:48
Yeah if the bear do "attack" like this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OsuqZLhQcY I'll take my chances with an Ursack :rolleyes:

SOLcreature
04-09-2013, 15:19
Sorry to post Thrice, but now in the interest of saving money, anyone ever use one of these? http://www.simpleoutdoorstore.com/outsak.html Think it would work on the AT if properly hung?

flemdawg1
04-09-2013, 15:25
So I am nearing completion with my pack, I have not had a chance to get on a scale just yet but my calculations are pointing me to about 15lbs not including food weight at this point. Let me know if it looks like I have missed anything, or if I should simply not bring something else if you would be so kind...

4x ultralight tent stakes Add 2 more, incase you have to use your tarp as a ground shelter
MSR Pocket Rocket
2x small fuel canisters 1 is plenty
Titanium 2 qt cook pot with frying pan-style/lid you can get by with much smaller, I only use my 1.4L when I take my family of 5 out on the trail.
Garcia backpacker Bear Canister not needed
1 pair of Gaiters
Oboes Hiking Boots Overkill, but they're your feet, make them happy
Clogs for camp
Osprey Pack Cover
4x Merino wool briefs take 2
4x Merino wool Darn Tough Socks take 2, 3 max
1x fleece camp shorts leave it
1x other black long sleeve T
1x Black T too many shirts, take 2, 3 at most. If you can't wear it all at once, its too much.
1x workout outfit for swimming/wearing while doing laundry Leave it.
3x Bandanas take 1
1x Booney Hat
1x Insect Headnet
Toothbrush
small tube toothpaste
small floss
8oz camp soap biodegradable concentrated soap Too much,
8oz camp wash biodegradable concentrated laundry detergent Leave it
SOL Emergency Thermal Blanket/shelter Leave it, practically useless.
privy hole digger with emergency matches in handle (I chose to carry despite the critics on this) Leave it, forest duff is fairly easy to dig in. Most shelters have privies or shovels.
Survival knife with compass and emergency kit/surgical tools in handle Leave it, Too heavy to just cut cheese.
waterproof aluminum LED pocket light (takes same batteries, only carrying 1 set of spares) Leave it, you'll use lights alot less than you think.
50ft parachord
2 rolls biodegradable TP
!

That should work for ya.

bigcranky
04-09-2013, 15:31
If you already have a tarp that goes over your hammock, you're fine. A piece of plastic for a small ground sheet is useful when packing up in the morning, or when changing clothes, etc. Maybe 2x4 feet, thin plastic like a trash bag.

I met a guy carrying a really big OUtsack into which he placed his entire pack at night. It'll keep the small critters out, but not bears. But really, bears aren't an issue on most of the AT. Learn to do a decent PCT-style bear bag hang (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bear_bag_hanging_technique.html#.UWRsbaugkms) and you're fine.

SOLcreature
04-09-2013, 15:44
Excellent. Thanks! I think to avoid the dreaded rodent food invasion issues, I am going to get this hanging rodent sack: http://www.simpleoutdoorstore.com/outsakul_paypal.html I know some level of protection is needed, my food is my lifeline, as I am hiking alone (if and when I find myself alone on the trail that is). And since the start of the thread, here's where I am at:

6x ultralight tent stakes
MSR Pocket Rocket
1x small fuel canisters (1 in bump box with addtn'l food)
Titanium 2 qt cook pot with frying pan-style/lid (wish I could go smaller but it's all I could find without a venting lid)
Steel Mesh rodent bag to hang
1 pair of Gaiters
Oboes Hiking Boots
Clogs for camp
Osprey Pack Cover
3x Merino wool briefs
3x Merino wool Darn Tough Socks
1x fleece camp shorts
1x Black T
2x Bandanas (always good to have a spare, and they weigh nothing)
1x Booney Hat
1x Insect Headnet
Toothbrush
small tube toothpaste
small floss
3oz camp soap biodegradable concentrated soap
3oz camp wash biodegradable concentrated laundry detergent
SOL Emergency Thermal Blanket/shelter
privy hole digger with emergency matches in handle (Still a comfort thing. I will ditch it in a drop box if I find I don't use it)
Survival knife with compass and emergency kit/surgical tools in handle (I always carry a knife, i'd rather have and not need, than need and not have with this one)
50ft zipline +1 S-Biner for food hanging
2 small rolls biodegradable TP
2013 AT thru hiker companion

And I thought I couldn't get rid of anything :)

SOLcreature
04-09-2013, 15:53
If you already have a tarp that goes over your hammock, you're fine. A piece of plastic for a small ground sheet is useful when packing up in the morning, or when changing clothes, etc. Maybe 2x4 feet, thin plastic like a trash bag.

I met a guy carrying a really big OUtsack into which he placed his entire pack at night. It'll keep the small critters out, but not bears. But really, bears aren't an issue on most of the AT. Learn to do a decent PCT-style bear bag hang (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bear_bag_hanging_technique.html#.UWRsbaugkms) and you're fine.

That is an excellent article, thank you!

R1ma
04-09-2013, 20:03
I don't see sub-15lbs.
Not with a 5lb pack and a 3lb bag. Bag+pack+hammock+tarp is 156 oz (9 lb 10 oz)

My comments depend on what you own already.

Pack: North Face Terra 65L - HEAVY. Two years ago I did part of the PCT with a 4.25lb pack and it annoyied me that it was that heavy.
Marmot 40* trailblazer sleep sack - A little heavy, synthetic (big) and not very warm ESPECIALLY with only a pad.
MSR Pocket Rocket
1x small fuel canisters (1 in bump box with addtn'l food)
3L Bladder w/hose and valve - Pain to fill. Pain to clean. Pain to cook with. The old standby is Gatoraide bottles, but I like soft Platypus bottles, and they only weigh 27g
Titanium 2 qt cook pot with frying pan-style/lid (wish I could go smaller but it's all I could find without a venting lid) - Here you go (http://www.traildesigns.com/cookware/evernew-titanium-non-stick-600ml-pot-eca421)
Columbia lightweight hiking rain jacket and pants - Why not Frogg Toggs? Lighter and cheaper
1 pair of Gaiters
Oboes Hiking Boots - Hike your own hike, but if you hike in shoes, you could skip the clogs
Clogs for camp
Osprey Pack Cover - Line your pack with a trash compactor bag. Don't know the weight difference though
3x Merino wool briefs
3x Merino wool Darn Tough Socks
1x fleece camp shorts - Too many shorts
1x Black T - Too many Tee shirts
2x Bandanas (always good to have a spare, and they weigh nothing)
1x Booney Hat
1x Insect Headnet
Toothbrush
small tube toothpaste
small floss
SOL Emergency Thermal Blanket/shelter - Your carrying shelter already right?
privy hole digger with emergency matches in handle (Still a comfort thing. I will ditch it in a drop box if I find I don't use it) - go with the simple orange trowel
Survival knife with compass and emergency kit/surgical tools in handle (I always carry a knife, i'd rather have and not need, than need and not have with this one) - Rather than carry something big, heavy, with features you'll never need, carry something simpilier (http://www.crkt.com/Folts-Minimalist-Bowie-Razor-Edge-Knife)
50ft zipline +1 S-Biner for food hanging

SOLcreature
04-10-2013, 08:17
I know my weight isn't that accurate, I still haven't been to the scales yet. I will post the actual once everything is here and I can hit the scale. You are right, I was using the weight of the medium pack (tera 63L). As far as the knife goes, I have this small bladed survival knife, looking at something like a standard multi-tool it would set me back $35 plus for even the cheapest one I've found. I would rather put that money into the resupply fund, rather than purchase something I probably won't need anyway. Thank you for the link on the Pot, I need to see if I can return the current one still! : )

lilricky
04-10-2013, 08:19
I thought you were trying to lighten your load, as zing-it weighs a tenth the weight of paracord, not to mention less bulky. But I reread your post and you weren't trying to make your pack lighter. I apologize!

I keep getting so many mixed reviews I am lost here. The parachord is for a clothes line, I don't see the difference in using zing-it when I already have a nice length of para.

SOLcreature
04-10-2013, 08:20
P.S. Some stuff unfortunately due to budget concerns just cannot be swapped at this point I.E. My pack, boots, and rain gear. Unfortunately I am at their mercy at this point. I hope all works out. At least I do have the benefit of moving at my own pace, I will not be on a schedule so I can hopefully deal with a few unruly pieces of gear as they come at me. Thanks again!

SOLcreature
04-10-2013, 08:26
I thought you were trying to lighten your load, as zing-it weighs a tenth the weight of paracord, not to mention less bulky. But I reread your post and you weren't trying to make your pack lighter. I apologize!

Of course removing weight is always good, I am no stranger to that! :) I am open to everyone's thoughts, I can only do so much at this point on some items unfortunately and still keep within my budget. I most likely will swap out the parachord since I am not taking a bear-tin anymore and now bringing the steel-mesh bag to hang. The sleep-bag is a concern right now, but I think if I am really having some rough nights I will hit the first outfitter I can and grab something warmer, send this one back home, I am a really warm sleeper though, which is where my thoughts were when getting a 40* over a heavier 20*. I wish I'd have found this forum long before any gear had been purchased!

SOLcreature
04-10-2013, 08:46
I just thought of another question, speaking of the rope... Is the zing-it line going to be able to be used as a food-bag hanging chord? Is it something the rodents will easily chew through? I have never used it myself is all. Someone made the earlier point that my hammock provides a perfect clothesline, so this is really going to be it's only function. I will be using the PCT method of hanging with this new mesh sack. Will the zing-it be durable enough?

Tom Murphy
04-10-2013, 08:55
Things to do when faced with a cold night in hammock.

Do a ton of jumping jacks before going to bed.

Put all your non-damp clothes in the sleeping bag with you [some people say put the clothes on, but I have found "in the bag" works better for me]

Put the foot end of the sleeping bag into the open end of your emptied back pack.

Arrange the tarp in the "winter mode" [basically like the old A-tents with the ends]
http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesStayDry/TarptentClosedYoungblood.jpg

LAST DITCH #1 -Wrap yourself in the emerency blanket and then get into the bag [FYI you will be damp in the monring since the thermal wrap doesn't pass moisture]

LAST DITCH #2 - lower hammock til it touches ground, this uses the earth and pad as your underneath insulation but the hammock will be a little dirty

LAST DITCH #3 - heated water into WELL CLOSED water bottles, placed in the bag with you [if the bottles open or leak, this becomes a a huge problem since you have then soaked your bag with water]

SOLcreature
04-10-2013, 15:07
Great tips, I really like that "winter mode" setup, had not come across something like that, what an excellent setup!

SOLcreature
04-12-2013, 13:34
For anyone who comes to this for a reference, and for my own critiquing when I return, this is what appears to be my final pack-out at this point minus some moleskin, a couple of personal prescriptions and pain killers, and my food list. I really appreciate everyone's input, I carefully weighed all of your comments and did what I could to adjust accordingly while working within budget confines. Still haven't been able to hit the scales but when I finally weigh-in I will let you know the final weight. Feels okay, I know it's going to really test me on my first approach though. I can't wait to hit the trail!

The Final List:

North Face Terra 65L - Due to 2 herniated discs an unfortunate must for me, most comfortable pack I tried on, I hope I can deal with the weight
20* Marmot Aspen 20*f Explorer synthetic mummy sleep sack (The largest change, unfortunately set me back weight-wise, but I took the advice to heart. I'm not fond of sleeping in layers of clothing anyway)
MSR Pocket Rocket
1x small fuel canister (1 in bump box with addtn'l food)
Magnesium/flint fire/stove starter
3L Bladder w/hose and valve (I also have the attachment to connect filtration directly if needed)
Sawyer Squeeze filtration system With 1L squeeze collapsible fill pouch and backwash plunger
Titanium 2 qt cook pot with frying pan-style/lid (would go smaller if I could but suffering with it at this point, plus I need the fryer for quinoa prep)
1 pair of Gaiters
Oboes Hiking Boots - (2 herniated discs, a must for me)
Clogs for camp
Osprey UL Pack Cover
3x Merino wool briefs (1 worn 1 camp 1 emergency)
3x Merino wool Darn Tough Socks (1 worn 1 camp 1 EM.)
1x lightweight cargo hiking shorts (still debating, might change before I leave)
1x North Face convertible hiking pants (Worn)
1x fleece camp shorts
1x moisture wicking hiking T (Worn)
1x Hiking LS Tee
2x Bandanas
1x Booney Hat
1x Insect Headnet
Toothbrush
small tube toothpaste
small floss
SOL Emergency Thermal Blanket
Hallow Handle Trowel cat-hole digger
Survival knife with compass and emergency kit/surgical tools in handle
50ft zing-it +1 S-Biner for food hanging

You guys are awesome! Great help, Thank You!

T.S.Kobzol
04-12-2013, 14:47
Now we can all take turns to guess your weight

I'm guessing that the list is about 25 lbs

zukiguy
04-12-2013, 19:11
Do you really need a 2qt cook pot? I'm assuming you're making solo meals so a pot that size is kind of overkill. The titanium part is nice but still kind of overkill. Leave teh survival knife at home. Unless you paid a significant amount for it I would imagine it's junk. In order to make the handle hollow the blade won't have a full tang. If you try to do anything heavy-duty (split kindling, pry something) the blade will most likely snap off, and they are heavy.

Also, a 65L pack seems a bit large for the volume of gear you have. It's better to have a little extra room though and if the pack fits you well it's worth a little extra weight.

Am I missing the tarp for your hammock? The blackbird doesn't come with a tarp (sold separately) I believe. Unless you're only a fairweather hanger you'll need something to keep the weather off.

Other than that

SOLcreature
04-15-2013, 11:52
Also, a 65L pack seems a bit large for the volume of gear you have. It's better to have a little extra room though and if the pack fits you well it's worth a little extra weight.

Am I missing the tarp for your hammock? The blackbird doesn't come with a tarp (sold separately) I believe. Unless you're only a fairweather hanger you'll need something to keep the weather off.

Other than that

Funny you mention that! This past weekend I realized I am over-encumbered (plus had room to spare in the bag)and had to make a major change otherwise food weight would put me over. I just went and reduced my pack-size to 45L and exchanged the old bag. I am now using a Koppen Wandern 45L pack that weighs over 2lbs less than the Terra 64. I then proceeded to take back the sleep sack that I just upgraded and went back to the 40* that shaves off another 1lb 6oz. As for the knife, it'll likely be swapped with a small multi-purpose like a swiss if anything. The pot cannot be exchanged and I spent 50$ on it, it is the one thing I could definitely reduce but I am out of funds. One perk to the 2qt though is that it holds a fuel canister and my MSR pocketrocket inside of it perfectly, so it doesn't leave any space unused. I do have the tarp with the hammock as well, forgot to include it in the list is all.

So... Yeah, the list changed again! I also removed the trowel, one roll of TP (shipping a roll ahead in a bump box), some unneeded biners, and the pack has a built-in raincover so the osprey cover is gone too! Feels MUCH lighter! Again, scared of the sleep-sack but I have plenty of emergency warmth options if it gets that bad.

WalksInDark
04-24-2013, 13:26
I did not see that you had a wool cap/baklava, these are excellent for keeping you warm in the rain, on the trail, or in your hammock. Plus they only weigh a few ounces.

Last trick if you are cold in your hammock, pee. Holding urine takes calories and warmth away from your core.

rhjanes
04-25-2013, 10:25
Two soaps totaling 6 OZ? Go with just some camp soap in a small bottle, just like a tablespoon of soap. The rest in your bounce box to replenish.

SawnieRobertson
04-25-2013, 17:04
First aid?

SOLcreature
04-26-2013, 08:28
Thank you foor the tip Walksinthedark! I will bring my wool cap as well. As far as medical kit, I haven't put one together yet, I have some moleskin, I am going to grab a small SOL emergency med kit as well. Soap is tough because I have nothing to store the excess in and mail drop the extra, but I am looking into it.

I had to change packs twice now, went with a Kelty Redstone 60L, and although it was heavier than I wanted (3lbs 14oz) it carries the load VERY well, and doesn't put the weight down on my shoulders like the Koppen Wandern, while still weighing over a lb less than my original Northface bag. And yeah, anyone considering using the 45L Koppen Wandern pack, be wary, if you overpack it in the slightest, it has a piece of plastic that pushes directly on the spine, and the low end that sits on the hips is not cushioned and feels like a rock resting against the small of your back...not comfy at all.

I finally weighed my pack, and I came it at 30.5lbs including 5 days worth of food @ right around 5.5lbs, not including water weight. Is this too heavy? It doesn't feel too heavy but I know that will change on the AT. I know there are things that could be a little lighter, but at this point most of those items are un-returnable necessity items so it is hard to shave anything else off and still be covered.

Darwin13
04-26-2013, 12:17
Add Content

T.S.Kobzol
04-26-2013, 13:07
I think 30 lbs is fine. You will adjust thinks on the trail if necessary

Thank you foor the tip Walksinthedark! I will bring my wool cap as well. As far as medical kit, I haven't put one together yet, I have some moleskin, I am going to grab a small SOL emergency med kit as well. Soap is tough because I have nothing to store the excess in and mail drop the extra, but I am looking into it.

I had to change packs twice now, went with a Kelty Redstone 60L, and although it was heavier than I wanted (3lbs 14oz) it carries the load VERY well, and doesn't put the weight down on my shoulders like the Koppen Wandern, while still weighing over a lb less than my original Northface bag. And yeah, anyone considering using the 45L Koppen Wandern pack, be wary, if you overpack it in the slightest, it has a piece of plastic that pushes directly on the spine, and the low end that sits on the hips is not cushioned and feels like a rock resting against the small of your back...not comfy at all.

I finally weighed my pack, and I came it at 30.5lbs including 5 days worth of food @ right around 5.5lbs, not including water weight. Is this too heavy? It doesn't feel too heavy but I know that will change on the AT. I know there are things that could be a little lighter, but at this point most of those items are un-returnable necessity items so it is hard to shave anything else off and still be covered.