PDA

View Full Version : Anyone find holes in their Outsak?

maybe clem
04-09-2013, 03:10
I have an Outsak Spectrum that was used for 500 miles on the PCT and now has several broken wires. Nothing chewed into it as far as I know, the breaks are along the edges where the wire is sharply bent, it just looks like it gave way. In one section the wire looks like it was pulled, the way a thread can get pulled in a sweater. It's past the one year warranty.

Has anyone had experience fixing these breaks? Is it worth it or once they start is that the end of the product's usefulness and you have to buy a new one?

grayfox
04-09-2013, 13:53
I bought one a long time ago, different brand I think. The bottom was sewn together inside thick webbing. In a few places the wires were evidently hit by the needle and broken ends stuck out of the webbing. I thought that they night puncture something, like my air mattress. If you are just beginning to find broken wires then it may well be time to replace it. The wires are woven together in long lines going around and around in continuous fashion so once a run starts it will be difficult to stop.

I removed the lines of wire with breaks re sewed the bottom of my sack with fishing line, after using gorilla duct tape over the edge and double layered over the end wire. I am careful to lay the bag as flat as possible in my pack to minimize stressed folds and have had no broken wires in the rest of the bag so far.

hikin_jim
04-18-2013, 14:22
Have you tried contacting Dave at Simple Outdoor Solutions (the makers of the Outsak)? He might be able to give you the best advice.

HJ