PDA

View Full Version : Tall person solo Tents

Tallpaul
07-01-2005, 22:23
I have a Kelty Gunnison 2 - 5# 11 oz, which I like for the room, but would like to reduce my pack weight.

I am 6' 3" and am considering one of the following single person tents.

Kelty Crestone 1 - 3# 8 oz, 106"x41", ht 37", 19.2 ft2, vest 6.5 ft2
Eureka Solitaire - 2# 15 oz, 96"x32", ht 28", 15 ft2, vest 5 ft2
S D Light Year - 3# 4 oz, 113"x44", ht 38", 20 ft2, vest 38 ft2
I considered these because they were under $150 and under 4#

If anyone has experience with any of these tents or have other suggestions for tents that fit big guys I would appreciate the feedback.

MedicineMan
07-02-2005, 02:14
and it is much lighter than the ones you listed, with some mods (easy and cheap) you can lighten it even more, i even added a carbon fiber pole subbing out the aluminum one but even as is it is light---and bombproof being classified as 4 season....the design is brilliant and the only downside is the cost.

Heater
07-02-2005, 03:46
and it is much lighter than the ones you listed, with some mods (easy and cheap) you can lighten it even more, i even added a carbon fiber pole subbing out the aluminum one but even as is it is light---and bombproof being classified as 4 season....the design is brilliant and the only downside is the cost.
Hey Medicine man. Did you look at the Hilleburg Unna when you bought your Akto? I have been thinking about getting one or the other but have not yet had the time to drive from Austin to San Antonio to take a look at the Unna and Akto. Room in the vestibule for the pack and boots? What about sitting up room inside? I am 6 feet tall.

Thanks!
James.

MedicineMan
07-02-2005, 04:15
the vestibule is one of the brilliant features of this tent...it is huge, in fact big enough to house another person if need be, but that is with the internal tent taken down....which you can do, more of its brilliance....if you know that bugs are a non issue then leave the internal tent home,,then if hiking with a partner the split weight is then scant with the addition of only the ground cloth.
forgot to answer about the Unna,,,,no did not consider it but it is nice as well,probably the weight difference that shied me away.
Sitting up room? if you get right in the middle of the sleeping area you can sit with headroom but you wont be wearing a hat or a down balaclava!

Tallpaul
07-02-2005, 09:53
Is the Hilleburg Tent you suggest suited for the weather encountered at Philmont NM. Does the mfg have a web page? Quick Google search yielded nothing? Where is the best place to view and buy? I am located in eastern PA.

VAMTNHIKER
07-02-2005, 11:26
Is the Hilleburg Tent you suggest suited for the weather encountered at Philmont NM. Does the mfg have a web page? Quick Google search yielded nothing? Where is the best place to view and buy? I am located in eastern PA.
Tallpaul... most any tent is suitable for Philmont... as long as it is not open at the bottom (e.g. tarp... hantevirus concern) or a hammock (not my choice...wanted to take my HH). Last year I used a Eureka Exos (1 man) in the north country (Valle Vidal; Copper Park below Baldy). We had rain every afternoon (end of July into August). It had rained extensively during early July. We saw numerous indications of flash flooding.

Best of luck... enjoy the experience! It was a highlight to share one of my early Scouting experiences (69 and 71) with my son.

Heater
07-02-2005, 14:22

Here is the homepage
http://www.hilleberg.com/Home.htm

Here is a dealer in your area:

Après Sport
401 South 16th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19146
215-735-1984

Some good pictures here or you can order online from them:
http://moontrail.com

MedicineMan
07-02-2005, 23:01
but hardly a challenge for the Akto unless you get 100 mile/hr winds and 4-5 foot snowfall.....
other than price the only problem with the akto is the real estate needed for the guylines (if all are used)...have a great time at Philmont, the 'tooth of time' is calling your name.....back then when i was supposed to go i had an appendectomy 5 days prior to departure, major bummer, so live the dream for me!
almost forgot, somewhere here at WB i wrote up what all i did to modify/lessen the weight of the akto, maybe you could look that up....the only thing i didnt do was replace the support rods in the 'eaves' with graphite ones, because i got into hammock hanging shortly thereafter.

Heater
07-02-2005, 23:38
The only problem with the akto is the real estate needed for the guylines
This is the main reason I am leaning more to the Unna. It is a tue freestanding tent. I would replace the poles with carbon to try to bring the tent under 4 lbs packed weight.

How does your Akto handle condensation? (I think that is my last question...:o )

MedicineMan
07-03-2005, 02:46
but i couldnt stand the 4 pound weight...
condensation on the Akto....well the first edition Akto did have issues with condensation but Hilleberg responded rather quickly when they saw use of the Akto was spreading around the globe (i guess no too much condensation in the scandinavian countries? especially in winter....) when you get in the akto you will be impressed to find sizeable vents at feet and head and the vents in the ceiling and top of the vestibule creating a nice chimney effect...i think the first edition was rated poor for condensation but the latest rendition has it covered by 8 of 10....dont laugh but just goofing off i've set it up in the bedroom using velcro on the carpet....it is just that cool of a tent....its real strong point is in extreme wind...