PDA

View Full Version : Georgia temperatures May 20- June 1

Berry Belle
04-09-2013, 10:44
I'm planning to hike Springer to the NC line the last 2 weeks of May. What temperatures can I expect? I am comfortable to about 35 degrees in my sleeping bag, dressed in silk long johns and under my tarp. I hike in nylon pants and shirt. I get cold easily and in May I usually carry a lightweight synthetic jacket and a Pertex rain suit, as well as glove liners and a fleece hat. But I live 1000 miles north of Georgia, so maybe it's warmer there. Except the mountains are higher, so maybe it's colder? Should I add another warm layer?

bigcranky
04-09-2013, 11:52
You'll be fine. It might, in very rare cases, get cold enough for frost (we had frost our first night on Springer in June '03), but most nights will be in the 50s.

I would bring light gloves and a microfleece beanie, because they are always in my pack. I would bring either my Marmot Driclime jacket or a microfleece zip tee as my only warm layer, and a rain shell.

jburgasser
04-09-2013, 12:49
I am comfortable to about 35 degrees in my sleeping bag, dressed in silk long johns and under my tarp. I hike in nylon pants and shirt. I usually carry a lightweight synthetic jacket and a Pertex rain suit, as well as glove liners and a fleece hat.

Your 35 degree bag should be more than enough without the silk long johns. Hopefully those pants zip off into shorts because you will be sweatin' to the oldies during the day. Always bring rain gear, and gloves and cap are good for camp, in the evening but especially in the morning. I've hiked the GA section at the end of may twice and it was plenty warm and hot during the day.

Have a great hike!

Ickybod

Almost There
04-09-2013, 13:03
Your 35 degree bag should be more than enough without the silk long johns. Hopefully those pants zip off into shorts because you will be sweatin' to the oldies during the day. Always bring rain gear, and gloves and cap are good for camp, in the evening but especially in the morning. I've hiked the GA section at the end of may twice and it was plenty warm and hot during the day.

Have a great hike!

Ickybod

I second his statement. You could have some cool days, but you also stand a good chance of mid to high eighties with high humidity during the day as well. You should be plenty fine!

Berry Belle
04-09-2013, 13:34
The pants zip off, so I'll be fine. I might even leave the long johns home. Thanks, everyone, now I can stop stressing, at least about this particular detail.

daddytwosticks
04-09-2013, 15:52
Down here at that time, I'm wearing shorts (w/liner) and short sleeved T shirt to hike in. Light windpants for sleeping/hanging out. Lightweight long-sleeved shirt and a 100 wt fleece. Beanie cap, but no gloves. Just a rain jacket (or poncho), no rain pants. Sleeping bag is fine. Great time of year to hike down here. :)

FatMan
04-09-2013, 18:45
I would expect very pleasant temperatures. I would not be concerned with cold weather. If not pleasant you are more likely to see high heat and humidity that could make you uncomfortable