PDA

View Full Version : Gear Packing/Stuff Sacks

RCBear
04-09-2013, 13:18
Most of my hikes have been no longer than weekenders which don't require me to be overly efficient.

For 5 - 8 day or so section hikes, how do you pack? Do you use stuff sacks or trash bags for everything in your main compartment? If so, how do you organize them? and once organized, where how do you place them in relation to each other? All food in one sack and organized in smaller ziplocks top to bottom in order of meals? shelter system split up and in the outside pockets? looking for efficient ways to access and return pack items when setting up and breaking down in camp. Thanks for sharing what works for you.

bigcranky
04-09-2013, 13:34
I have a pack liner (roll top cuben from Zpacks.) I stuff my sleeping bag into the bottom of the liner, then put a stuff sack of clothing on top. All my little things in a small ditty bag/stuff sack, which goes on top of the clothing bag. Anything else that needs to stay dry but that I might need during the day (a down jacket in the winter, for example) goes on top of that, then the roll top is closed up. My food bag sits on top of the liner. Food is loosely organized inside the bag by type of meal, in gallon ziplocs. Items that I will be using a lot go into the outside mesh pockets of my pack -- rain shell, gloves and hat, map, water bottles, TP, etc. I put snacks for the day in a hip belt pocket.

If I am taking a tent, it goes vertically in one of the pack side pockets. If I am hammocking, the hammock body goes inside the pack, and the tarp and suspension go in the outside mesh pocket.

RCBear
04-09-2013, 14:24
Thank you Big C. Very helpful!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

gizzy bear
04-09-2013, 15:20
I have a pack liner (roll top cuben from Zpacks.) I stuff my sleeping bag into the bottom of the liner, then put a stuff sack of clothing on top. All my little things in a small ditty bag/stuff sack, which goes on top of the clothing bag. Anything else that needs to stay dry but that I might need during the day (a down jacket in the winter, for example) goes on top of that, then the roll top is closed up. My food bag sits on top of the liner. Food is loosely organized inside the bag by type of meal, in gallon ziplocs. Items that I will be using a lot go into the outside mesh pockets of my pack -- rain shell, gloves and hat, map, water bottles, TP, etc. I put snacks for the day in a hip belt pocket.

If I am taking a tent, it goes vertically in one of the pack side pockets. If I am hammocking, the hammock body goes inside the pack, and the tarp and suspension go in the outside mesh pocket.

thanks BC... but where will he carry my box-o-wine???? i say he doesn't REALLY need a sleeping pad...

bigcranky
04-09-2013, 15:34
The box of wine goes inside the pack, above the pack liner, and the sleeping pad gets rolled up and carried on top of the pack. Duh. ;)

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the pad. If I am tent camping, I take a Thermarest Prolite 4. I roll out all the air, then fold it flat in sixths and place it inside the pack flat against the suspension side (against my back, as it were.) Then my pack liner goes inside the pack, so the pad ends up flat between my back and the liner full of gear. This takes up the least amount of usable space inside the pack.

If I am hammock camping, a take a 3/4 length closed cell foam pad, and carry it rolled up on top of my pack. That way it's handy for breaks.

RCBear
04-09-2013, 15:53
The box of wine goes inside the pack, above the pack liner, and the sleeping pad gets rolled up and carried on top of the pack. Duh. ;)

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the pad. If I am tent camping, I take a Thermarest Prolite 4. I roll out all the air, then fold it flat in sixths and place it inside the pack flat against the suspension side (against my back, as it were.) Then my pack liner goes inside the pack, so the pad ends up flat between my back and the liner full of gear. This takes up the least amount of usable space inside the pack.

If I am hammock camping, a take a 3/4 length closed cell foam pad, and carry it rolled up on top of my pack. That way it's handy for breaks.

That's good advice on the pad and makes complete sense. I had planned on simply rolling it and carrying in original stuff sack. Seems like a no brainer but it hadn't occurred to me!

As for the wine, i didn't think there was any other use for my 3 liter bladder anyway. :beer:

bigcranky
04-09-2013, 16:41
Yeah, if you roll a Thermarest into a small cylinder and put it in a stuff sack, it seems to take up far more room than it should. Hard round objects aren't easy to pack :)

If you have an inflatable pad like a Neoair or a Big Agnes, that rolls up really small, ignore this advice.

Bear Cables
04-09-2013, 22:51
For what it's worth...
Tent , ground cloth and cuben fiber tarp are in their stuff sacks in the "sleeping bag compartment" of my bag to keep them away from other gear if wet.
Main compartment, in this order from bottom up: Clothes in a 2 gal ziplock bag, sleeping bag in a waterproof compression bag( the sleeping bag is down and I don't want to take a chance of it getting wet), alongside of that is my neoair pad in a small stuff sack, then my food sack and if I need a fleece , it goes on top in a ziplock bag.
Top of hood : Themolite jacket and or fleece depending on temps, gloves and hat
Back rt pocket:cooking gear, pack cover, fuel and steripen
Back left pocket: personal gear ie; FAK, toiletries, Map
Back mesh pocket: Rain gear
Side Pockets: waterbottles.

I have a Osprey Aura.

RCBear
04-09-2013, 22:55
Thanks Bear Cables. This is very helpful. I know much will be trial and error to determine what works best for me and my pack, but if i can shorten that curve all the better. Thanks for taking the time to help.

HooKooDooKu
04-09-2013, 23:02
Yeah, if you roll a Thermarest into a small cylinder and put it in a stuff sack, it seems to take up far more room than it should. Hard round objects aren't easy to pack :)

If you have an inflatable pad like a Neoair or a Big Agnes, that rolls up really small, ignore this advice.
With just a little practice, you can easily stuff a prolite into a stuff sack that is one size too small. It's just a matter of squeezing out a much air as possible, then close the valve. Then fold and roll up the pad until all the remaining air is pushed to the end and reopen the valve.

A prolite regular packed into a prolite small stuff sack is about the same size and weight as my neoair large.

q-tip
04-10-2013, 19:17
Bottom Up Pack:1) Food 2) Sleeping Bag 3) Clothes Bag 4) Tent-Sleep Pad-Ditty Bag-fills up 55- liters.