PDA

View Full Version : Preventing shoe size change over the course of a thru?

Timinator
04-09-2013, 17:35
I have a really nice pair of boots that I don't want to ""grow out of" during my cdt hike and I've heard that there are things you can do to prevent your feet from swelling during long hikes like use inserts or work out your arch muscles. Is anyone aware of such methods? Do they actually work?

RCBear
04-09-2013, 18:31
I have a really nice pair of boots that I don't want to ""grow out of" during my cdt hike and I've heard that there are things you can do to prevent your feet from swelling during long hikes like use inserts or work out your arch muscles. Is anyone aware of such methods? Do they actually work?

Do you hike in same size as your normal everyday wear? I size up by 1 and have never had a problem. I would be interested in hearing how to avoid swelling in the first place if that can be done.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

RCBear
04-09-2013, 18:34
Sorry. I didn't process your original post. Realize that you want to avoid having to give up your current pair

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Timinator
04-09-2013, 18:39
Apparently it's because your arches get weak and start to fall under stress or because they are not getting worked out enough in the shell of your shoes. I've heard custom inserts will prevent your feet from growing at all and I've also heard keeping your arch muscles in shape can prevent it from happening.

HeartFire
04-09-2013, 19:03
The Chinese used to bind feet!

MuddyWaters
04-09-2013, 19:06
Your feet just plain get bigger with use
At 22 I wore a 9.5
Now I wear an 11.5

WingedMonkey
04-09-2013, 19:12
I wore the same size before my thru hike, during and after, and still wear the same size. Don't know why, unless it's becuase I go barefoot 90% of the time I'm on my feet, if you don't count the time I'm on my bike.

swjohnsey
04-09-2013, 19:45
Me too. I found I need a size larger shoe for my hike because of all the down hill made my big toe hit the end of the shoe. I actually measured my feet before and after.

Malto
04-09-2013, 20:11
If you hiked a lot before your hike then your feet may not change, mine didn't.

R1ma
04-10-2013, 10:19
Your feet just plain get bigger with use
At 22 I wore a 9.5
Now I wear an 11.5

Almost exactly the same story here.
9.5 at 16-25. Now, depending on the brand 10.5-12.

If you want to prevent your feet from swelling, you've got to stop using them...

The Solemates
04-10-2013, 12:47
If you hiked a lot before your hike then your feet may not change, mine didn't.

I think this is the primary thing. Most people go from not being on their feet much to hiking. I'm on my feet all the time. They havent changed sizes in 20 years, and they didnt after a thru hike.

msupple
04-10-2013, 12:51
Apparently it's because your arches get weak and start to fall under stress or because they are not getting worked out enough in the shell of your shoes. I've heard custom inserts will prevent your feet from growing at all and I've also heard keeping your arch muscles in shape can prevent it from happening.

I only did 500 miles last year. I started as an eleven and am now a twelve. I had to buy all new shoes upon my return. Also, in my case it was not about fallen arches as my feet were flat as a pancake when I started. I didn't wear arch supports and had almost no problem with my feet. Cat in the Hat

fiddlehead
04-10-2013, 12:56
I wore 9.5's before I started hiking.
I hiked pretty much every year for 15 years when my feet grew to a 12.
Now, I haven't hiked in almost 10 years (long distance) although I still jog a bit and play tennis.
My feet went back to a size 10.
So, I believe it (feet getting bigger) is because of extreme use plus added weight on your back.

Trying to stop it would be like trying to stop getting older.