PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Forest Service Alert: Stomach Virus Hits A.T. near Hot Springs, N.C

Lauriep
04-09-2013, 18:19
The U.S. Forest Service issued the following alert at 3:26 pm this afternoon:

Stomach Virus Hits Appalachian Trail near Hot Springs, N.C.

HOT SPRINGS, N.C. -- Hikers may want to avoid sections of the Appalachian Trail near Hot Springs, N.C., especially the stretch running north to the Tennessee border. A number of hikers have been sickened by a severe, 24-hour stomach virus that is being passed between hikers. Shelters to avoid include No Business Knob, Big Bald and Hogback Ridge. A section of the Appalachian Trail runs through the Appalachian Ranger District, Pisgah National Forest, to the north and south of Hot Springs.

Laurie Potteiger
Appalachian Trail Conservancy

Lauriep
04-09-2013, 18:23
The Asheville Citizen-Times just posted this on their blog at http://blogs2.citizen-times.com/outdoors/2013/04/09/stomach-virus-hits-appalachian-trail-hikers-near-hot-springs/.

April 9, 2013
Stomach virus hits Appalachian Trail hikers near Hot Springs

Filed under: Uncategorized — Tags: Appalachian Trail — Karen Chavez @ 7:57 pm

The U.S. Forest Service just released a warning to hikers traveling on the Appalachian Trail near Hot Springs, especially the stretch running north to the Tennessee border.

“A number of hikers have been sickened by a severe, 24-hour stomach virus that is being passed between hikers. Shelters to avoid include No Business Knob, Big Bald and Hogback Ridge. A section of the Appalachian Trail runs through the Appalachian Ranger District, Pisgah National Forest, to the north and south of Hot Springs.”

They’re not sure how long this has been going on. Or what hikers should do if they are thru-hiking. I guess lay low in Hot Springs until the virus clears out.

At this time of year, about 2,500 hikers set out to attempt a “thru-hike” of the 2,180-mile Appalachian Trail. Most hike northward, starting in Springer Mountain, Ga., and head north to the trail’s terminus at Mt. Katahdin, Maine. They start hitting the Hot Springs area of Madison County about now, and the town celebrates with the French Broad River Festival May 3-5.

Only about 500 people actually complete the entire hike in one shot, which can take four to six months.

Johnny Shores, owner of Uncle Johnny’s Nolichucky Hostel in Erwin, Tenn., has been seeing violently ill thru-hikers in his place for the past week and a half.

“We’re doing everything we can to prevent this, with sanitizing everything and using Clorox,” Shores told me this afternoon.

“They’ve been coming in here, sick, throwing up. They’re coming from the shelters No Business Shelter, Big Bald, Hogback Ridge Shelter. Someone gets sick there, and the hikers have all their supplies on their back – they don’t have a mop or Clorox and don’t have a way to clean it up.”

He said the hostel is 6.5 miles from the closest shelter, No Business, 16 miles from the next and 32 miles from the next. Shores said this happened about two years ago.

“By the time they get here, they’ve recovering. We’ve actually carried some people to urgent care here. We’ve had nobody get here physically sick here. But we remind them to sanitize everything, and remind them they’ve got to wash their hands and can’t go into community bags of candy, and touch their mouths.”

Erwin is about 69 miles from Hot Springs, and is the next big town northward from there.

Madison County Health Department said they have received any word of illness on the trail so far.

The Appalachian Trail Conservancy, based in Asheville, has also been trying to spread the word about the illness. John Odell, with the ATC, said so far the reports they have are that the viral illness seems to be concentrated in the 70-mile stretch between Hot Springs and Erwin, Tenn.

yaduck9
04-09-2013, 18:25
thank you for the timely information, Laurie P.

HikerMom58
04-09-2013, 18:33
We already had a heads up on this Laurie, thanks for the official word!

Now we know it's not BS. I never thought it was.....

rickb
04-09-2013, 18:34
thank you for the timely information, Laurie P.

Agreed.

I also have to say that I am genuinely impressed that the ATC has already posted this alert on their web page in the Trail updates section.

I think the web page is better than ever, and these kinds of updates really make it relevant.

FatMan
04-09-2013, 18:40
It's sad that a WB member could post to this effect and get hammered by other WB members. I am glad that the original thread has been closed but I am sorry that WB has once again shown it's colors.

Yeah, I suppose it is now time for me to get bashed for saying such a thing here on WB. Hammer away.

yaduck9
04-09-2013, 18:50
It's sad that a WB member could post to this effect and get hammered by other WB members. I am glad that the original thread has been closed but I am sorry that WB has once again shown it's colors.

Yeah, I suppose it is now time for me to get bashed for saying such a thing here on WB. Hammer away.

I left my hammer at home............but i do happen to have some wet noodles.....

ChinMusic
04-09-2013, 18:51
I did find it distressing to be attacked for reporting what I was seeing with my own eyes. I would def extend that list of shelters back to Little Laurel.

yaduck9
04-09-2013, 18:59
hope you get over that virus and back on the trail soon

HikerMom58
04-09-2013, 18:59
I did find it distressing to be attacked for reporting what I was seeing with my own eyes. I would def extend that list of shelters back to Little Laurel.

I found it unbelievable that someone would question someone that was actually on the trail reporting these things. I had no problem posting the thread... I didn't believe Curtis could know more than you did. He wasn't on the trail, interviewing sick hikers, like you were. Ignorant was the right word to use to describe him and everyone else that didn't believe you. Gezzz!!

yaduck9
04-09-2013, 19:03
time for a short hike, and get away from cyber hiking

vamelungeon
04-09-2013, 19:04
For you and Hikermom- it is sad that you were so roundly abused for posting about the situation. I hope you recover from this illness quickly.

johnnybgood
04-09-2013, 19:04

Do you believe this to be a water borne pathogen since it's affect is so wipe spread ? I read your comments about using precautions and just struck me as a possible cause.

vamelungeon
04-09-2013, 19:05
Do you believe this to be a water borne pathogen since it's affecting it's so wipe spread ? I read your comments about using precautions and just struck me as a possible cause.

I know it's a typo but "wipe spread" is pretty funny!

Alligator
04-09-2013, 19:09
Let's not have a rehash of the disagreements on the other thread. Thanks.

ChinMusic
04-09-2013, 19:11
Speculating on how it's spread is not helpful here and would only lead to a distraction.

I haven't talked to too many folks today due to being so sick. I did see Miss Janet this morning. She did not seem inclined to post on WB.

johnnybgood
04-09-2013, 19:14
I know it's a typo but "wipe spread" is pretty funny!

:o I'm at my funniest when I don't try to be. :D

Get well fast ChinMusic.

The Cleaner
04-09-2013, 19:26
I did find it distressing to be attacked for reporting what I was seeing with my own eyes. I would def extend that list of shelters back to Little Laurel. +1 for extending warning area.Probably started around/in Hot Springs went north with all the hikers.I was going to do Allen Gap to Erwin next week,avoiding shelters any way due to crowds.Might have to pack a gallon of bleach with spray bottle and spray LL & JC shelters.Then head into Rocky Fork area...

coach lou
04-09-2013, 20:12
Thankfully there are a few kind people in our community that take the time to give a rats petoot about the rest of us.:sun

Another Kevin
04-09-2013, 20:13
+1 for extending warning area.Probably started around/in Hot Springs went north with all the hikers.I was going to do Allen Gap to Erwin next week,avoiding shelters any way due to crowds.Might have to pack a gallon of bleach with spray bottle and spray LL & JC shelters.Then head into Rocky Fork area...

If you're a local maintainer, do please change out the register books while you're there. The old ones should be safe to handle after a month or so in a dry place. That's one thing in the shelter that everyone's hands touch.

And rather than spraying straight bleach, bring a folding bucket and a floor sponge (and a pair of rubber gloves). 3/4 cup of bleach in a gallon of water, and soak every surface, walls, floors, bunks, privy seat, picnic table and benches, everything that someone is likely to handle. Wear safety glasses and a facemask.

If there's bearproof and rodentproof storage at the shelters, make some packets of oral rehydration salts (recipe in the other thread) and leave them with an instruction sheet.

Doing that will be make you a trail seraph. (The seraphim are angels of the highest order!) Decontamination will be the way to put a stop to this.

Thank you, thank you, whoever does decontamination work at the shelters! That will be the way that this outbreak gets contained.

rustmd
04-09-2013, 20:16
i was there, little laurel shelter was horrible, human feces and vomit all over the grounds. . .flint shelter had hikers down in their tents, telling me to go away, move on get out, don't touch anything. this thing is serious, i hope it's over by now. hikers were seriously sick. the one group i saw hiking out, i told them to get to the emergency room, they looked terribly sick! they were near Log Cabin Rd. and planned to call for emergency treatment.

no joke here, folks.

.com

coach lou
04-09-2013, 20:27
Wasn't there something similar last spring?

JAK
04-09-2013, 20:40
Is it just a coincidence, or is there anything about the Hot Springs itself that makes it more likely that such viral outbreaks occur at that location on the trail? i.e. temperature of the water, or a higher concentration of people in that area or a specific shelter? I'm not asking so much about this year in particular, but whether or not something should be done for a more lasting solution. Haven't been there.

The Cleaner
04-09-2013, 21:08
FWIW I hope no one drinks out of the ditch on the south side of the road @ Allen Gap:eek: . Some Idiot for several years put a temporary sign on the AT trail sign pointing to the stagnant ditchwater which heads up at the area of a former service station dump:eek::eek:....The only water from Spring Mtn shelter to Little Laurel shelter is at LL shelter.You can go to Hemlock Hollow Hostel (and possible germ farm) and buy bottled water&other snacks.It is 1.5 miles north of Allen Gap @ Log Cabin Rd,hang a left for .6 ...Just sayin'.....

The Cleaner
04-09-2013, 21:09
Wasn't there something similar last spring? yes ,in GA and popped up again up north....

max patch
04-09-2013, 21:11
If you're a local maintainer, do please change out the register books while you're there. The old ones should be safe to handle after a month or so in a dry place. That's one thing in the shelter that everyone's hands touch.

And rather than spraying straight bleach, bring a folding bucket and a floor sponge (and a pair of rubber gloves). 3/4 cup of bleach in a gallon of water, and soak every surface, walls, floors, bunks, privy seat, picnic table and benches, everything that someone is likely to handle. Wear safety glasses and a facemask.

If there's bearproof and rodentproof storage at the shelters, make some packets of oral rehydration salts (recipe in the other thread) and leave them with an instruction sheet.

Doing that will be make you a trail seraph. (The seraphim are angels of the highest order!) Decontamination will be the way to put a stop to this.

Thank you, thank you, whoever does decontamination work at the shelters! That will be the way that this outbreak gets contained.

To be totally safe the shelters should be burned. :)

JAK
04-09-2013, 21:21
Is it just a coincidence, or is there anything about the Hot Springs itself that makes it more likely that such viral outbreaks occur at that location on the trail? i.e. temperature of the water, or a higher concentration of people in that area or a specific shelter? I'm not asking so much about this year in particular, but whether or not something should be done for a more lasting solution. Haven't been there.I should have said viral or bacterial or parasitic outbreaks, rather than viral specifically. Not a health professional either.

Besides health authorities, which might be too slow to respond to health matters on the trail, I think it does make sense if there was some official place like the ATC to send in reports and to send out notifices and warnings, and to co-ordinate with health authorities if it comes to that. Makes sense. Obviousle everyone here cares about people first, which is why we all tend to get passionate about such things.

Thanks Laurie and the ATC, and everyone else.
Stay safe and stay healthy, or get well soon those that ain't.

Chaco Taco
04-09-2013, 21:25
stomach virus is not Norovirus, just sayin

Alligator
04-09-2013, 21:40
Hikers that have contracted this ailment, it might be helpful to be seen by a health professional so that an expert opinion can be recorded and perhaps the true nature of the illness could be determined.

The Cleaner
04-09-2013, 21:43
They'll probably have to close the trail,send in choppers with guys in Bio-Hazard suits and.........

coach lou
04-09-2013, 21:44
Hikers that have contracted this ailment, it might be helpful to be seen by a health professional so that an expert opinion can be recorded and perhaps the true nature of the illness could be determined.

Maybe one of those folks that are looking to do a 'Paper' on the AT experience, has a biology minor and makes a study!

Another Kevin
04-09-2013, 21:48

A good bit of the time, that's exactly what it is, particularly in adults. (Rotavirus is commoner in toddlers.) http://tinyurl.com/c67qhb8 : "Norovirus is the principal cause of sporadic viral gastroenteritis in adults and of epidemic viral gastroenteritis in all age groups." And epidemic gastroenteritis (of unknown aetiology) is exactly what we have here.

Sarcasm the elf
04-09-2013, 21:48
Maybe one of those folks that are looking to do a 'Paper' on the AT experience, has a biology minor and makes a study!

I can see it now "Looking for unhealthy volunteers to provide samples..." :eek:

JAK
04-09-2013, 21:50
Can we call it a Norwalk-Like outbreak ?

Interesting academic article from 1999...

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/A+Norwalk-like+virus+outbreak+on+the+Appalachian+Trail.+(Fea tures).-a085920305

Alligator
04-09-2013, 21:51
They'll probably have to close the trail,send in choppers with guys in Bio-Hazard suits and.........stool bags, they'll definitely need those.

atmilkman
04-09-2013, 21:55
I thought they were the same thing or very closely related. What is the difference?

Another Kevin
04-09-2013, 21:57
Can we call it a Norwalk-Like outbreak ?

A suspected Norwalk-Like virus outbreak, until someone confirms calicivirus RNA by RT-PCR.

Or simply an outbreak of acute gastroenteritis.

Chaco Taco
04-09-2013, 21:59
A suspected Norwalk-Like virus outbreak, until someone confirms calicivirus RNA by RT-PCR.

Or simply an outbreak of acute gastroenteritis.
See thats all I was tryin to say. No medical professionals have made any indication as of the recent postings. Got to be careful yelling fire in a crowded room. Thanks for the clarification earlier as well.

johnnybgood
04-09-2013, 22:03
Here's a thought ; Trained medical staff (on call) from local hospitals could help treat hikers suffering from dehydration with fluids trailside if necessary.

BobTheBuilder
04-09-2013, 22:14
I have a section coming up in VA in a couple of weeks. Y'all better clear this up before I get there. Please?

JAK
04-09-2013, 22:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z3Rs7VMIs4

evyck da fleet
04-09-2013, 22:17
Yes there was a virus on the Trail last year. I got to Erwin a week before Trail Days and there were people with the virus there and a guy I was hiking with got sick hiking into town that day. A week later there were warnings about a virus and some people were sick in Damascus. I also encountered warning signs in the Whites in early August that there was a similar virus running from the Whites through Andover. Unfortunately you only have to let your guard down once to catch the thing. If hikers are too lazy to pack a few ounces of plastic or tinfoil out and feel the need to burn it you can imagine what they won't do when sick. I'm afraid if this virus is anything like last year's it will stick around for awhile. Last year the infected area seemed to move farther north as more hikers moved through the area. By the time I got to Maine I was hiking with people who had gotten sick in Rangeley which was past the supposed end in Andover. I honestly don't remember but I wonder if it could have anything to do with the number of people at the shelters with lack of privies. Pure speculation on my part.

Alligator
04-09-2013, 22:27
Regarding personal hygiene, I was just thinking about a tip regarding public restrooms. It is recommended that after washing one's hands, people should use the paper towel to open the door on the way out, as some people do not wash their hands after using the bathroom. When hiking, I keep some hand sanitizer right in with my tp, but I never really thought about the privy door handle. Food for thought I guess.

Another Kevin
04-09-2013, 22:30
Any epidemic gastroenteritis is going to spread like wildfire in a crowded population with dodgy sanitation (such as you find at shelters in the thru-hiker bubble). There seems to be at least one outbreak a year on the Trail. That's also why you see it turning up in day care centers and nursing homes - other crowded populations with dodgy sanitation.

JAK
04-09-2013, 22:32
It would be good to see an academic study of how these things occur each year and move up the trail.Sort of like the way flu starts in China every year and works its way around the globe. The study I posted earlier was from such and outbreak in 1999, but again just a specific outbreak. It would be interesting to see a study that spans several years, looks at several similar trails, dispells some of the myths or sensitivities surrounding word choice such as "stomach virus" vs "Norwalk-Like Virus" vs "Norwalk Virus", and perhaps the risk of one of these annual outbreaks becoming a more lethal variant. My guess, is that the concentration of people make such outbreaks an annual occurrence of varying severity, but it's not really an environment that lends itself to developing into a lethal resistant strain, like a hospital or nursing home, because it is outdoors, and the trail and towns have time to recover from one year to the next. Perhaps I am wrong, but in the grand scheme of things these outbreaks might even be healthy.

Alligator
04-09-2013, 22:41
The other thread is closed folks, this one is essentially a do-over. Please don't junk it up again. Thanks, this is the second warning.

JAK
04-09-2013, 22:46
Could you be more specific about what is junk? No personal attacks, I get that.
Anything else ?

JAK
04-09-2013, 22:49
I suppose the Jaws humour was in bad taste. Sorry about that.

Alligator
04-09-2013, 23:01
I suppose the Jaws humour was in bad taste. Sorry about that.Not you JAK, you're all right:sun. Junk=drama from the other thread. Folks need to put it to bed and stop rehashing it.

WingedMonkey
04-09-2013, 23:11
Regarding personal hygiene, I was just thinking about a tip regarding public restrooms. It is recommended that after washing one's hands, people should use the paper towel to open the door on the way out, as some people do not wash their hands after using the bathroom. When hiking, I keep some hand sanitizer right in with my tp, but I never really thought about the privy door handle. Food for thought I guess.

IF it is Norovirus hand sanitizer may not work.

Some viruses, like influenza, are coated in lipids, “envelopes” that alcohol can rupture. But non-enveloped viruses, like norovirus, are generally not affected (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19933337).
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/14/really-the-claim-hand-sanitizer-stops-norovirus-spread/

The blog article is based on this study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19933337

springerfever
04-09-2013, 23:17
Seems like you could eliminate a great deal of the exposure to this virus by merely not staying in the shelters.

Sarcasm the elf
04-09-2013, 23:18

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/14/really-the-claim-hand-sanitizer-stops-norovirus-spread/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19933337

Thanks for the info, that is news to me.

Any idea if there ahead sanitizes that are utilize something besides alcohol that would be more effective?

Alligator
04-09-2013, 23:25

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19933337I was thinking more generally (I was following along the other thread and saw that mentioned). Perhaps the severity is different in this case, but there are typically reports year to year of hikers passing along illnesses, particularly thruhikers, and these most likely vary.

If we could get some hikers to go to a doctor or a clinic, perhaps we'd have more insight on the pathogen.

Bronk
04-10-2013, 01:21

You should use the paper towel to turn the water off as well...you touched it with a dirty hand when you turned it on, as the person before you did.

Bet Uncle Johnny is making a fortune selling Germ X.

rickb
04-10-2013, 06:03
Seems like you could eliminate a great deal of the exposure to this virus by merely not staying in the shelters.

Seems like healthy individuals might want to avoid hostels and motels in the area also. Right now, anyway. Even if they are very clean, surely they will be attracting sick hikers for a while.

One thing I never thought of is that a room which is cleaned to the usual standard might be contaminated after the person leaves. Is that possible, or would that kind of thinking just be paranoid?

JAK
04-10-2013, 06:25
I'll post this again because it was an interesting read about an outbreak in 1999...
It's also to see the full article available for free. I don't mind the advertisements.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/A+Norwalk-like+virus+outbreak+on+the+Appalachian+Trail.+(Fea tures).-a085920305

The Cleaner
04-10-2013, 08:09
Wow,Jak sounds like a problem for sure.I guess with higher numbers of hikers it's hard to avoid this if you're out there....

The Cleaner
04-10-2013, 08:16
The local weather forecast is for rain,possibly heavy at times starting Thursday night.Wonder if this will help wash some of the contaminated waste lying around away or at least dilute the virus?When will it be safe to enter the bio-hazard zone?....

HikerMom58
04-10-2013, 08:42
The local weather forecast is for rain,possibly heavy at times starting Thursday night.Wonder if this will help wash some of the contaminated waste lying around away or at least dilute the virus?When will it be safe to enter the bio-hazard zone?....

Wow, thanks for all you do, Cleaner. What a true lover of the trail and true servant, you are. Be careful. I know you will... I guess just wait for more info on how to start to clean up everything. I just can't imagine what it must be like out there!

aficion
04-10-2013, 09:09

Stealth camp, spring water from off the trail, no hostels or hotels, no shelters or privies, walk to resupply and back to the trail, some folks prefer this way anyway............myself included.

ChinMusic
04-10-2013, 09:12
Stealth camp, spring water from off the trail, no hostels or hotels, no shelters or privies, walk to resupply and back to the trail, some folks prefer this way anyway............myself included.
I just went through that corridor with no shelters, privies, no food sharing, no hand shakes, nothing .......and it still got me.

Others following similar protocol got sick as well.

aficion
04-10-2013, 09:18
I just went through that corridor with no shelters, privies, no food sharing, no hand shakes, nothing .......and it still got me.

Could be a hostel?

HikerMom58
04-10-2013, 09:20

Hope you are feeling better today, Chin. :)

ChinMusic
04-10-2013, 09:57
Could be a hostel?
The time from my stay at Hemlock Hollow until onset of symptoms is outside the range of the prodrome phase. I have discounted that as my source.

I got it on the trail. Whether that be from setting up my tent on a spot a previously sick hiker had been, touching a tree/rock handhold, airborne, who knows? But one things for sure, it got me even with meticulous precautions.

Train Wreck
04-10-2013, 10:12
Have any reliable statistics been posted as to the specific count of hikers who have reported coming down with this virus so far?
How long does it generally take an outbreak like this to run its course? (I'm talking about the epidemic, not an individual case of the disease)

aficion
04-10-2013, 10:17
The time from my stay at Hemlock Hollow until onset of symptoms is outside the range of the prodrome phase. I have discounted that as my source.

I got it on the trail. Whether that be from setting up my tent on a stop a previously sick hiker had been, touching a tree handhold, airborne, who knows? But one things for sure, it got me even with meticulous precautions.

Not trying to say you can expect to avoid it. Just suggesting best practices in such a situation. Hope you are better and appreciate your efforts to get the word out.

atmilkman
04-10-2013, 10:18
Have any reliable statistics been posted as to the specific count of hikers who have reported coming down with this virus so far?
How long does it generally take an outbreak like this to run its course? (I'm talking about the epidemic, not an individual case of the disease)

OMG. I can't believe you used the "e" word.

ChinMusic
04-10-2013, 10:22

I had originally guessed 50%+ for those recently going through that corridor. Most others are guessing as high as 80%. It is much harder to come up with a list of non-effected hikers than the sick.

CDC wasn't there with a clipboard so those numbers are as good as it gets.

DiamondDoug
04-10-2013, 10:33
I am the section maintainer for Big Bald->Little Bald, including Bald Mountain shelter, and did my spring walk through last week (April 3). I saw no evidence of this outbreak at the shelter, and no mention in the register. I drank the water from the shelter spring (piped) untreated, as I have for the last thirteen years, and handled the register, reading every entry from Sept 25 when I left the new book. I did not get sick.

I did meet two thru hikers who had advised they had two buddies who were sick the night before at Hogback Ridge and had to bail once they got to Sam's Gap. They said they thought it was something their friends picked up in Hot Springs.

HikerMom58
04-10-2013, 10:41
I am the section maintainer for Big Bald->Little Bald, including Bald Mountain shelter, and did my spring walk through last week (April 3). I saw no evidence of this outbreak at the shelter, and no mention in the register. I drank the water from the shelter spring (piped) untreated, as I have for the last thirteen years, and handled the register, reading every entry from Sept 25 when I left the new book. I did not get sick.

I did meet two thru hikers who had advised they had two buddies who were sick the night before at Hogback Ridge and had to bail once they got to Sam's Gap. They said they thought it was something their friends picked up in Hot Springs.

I would consider yourself, extremely lucky... what a difference a week can make, apparently.

Train Wreck
04-10-2013, 11:07
OMG. I can't believe you used the "e" word.

You prefer to call it the boogie-woogie flu, maybe? :D

yaduck9
04-10-2013, 12:24
two articles concerning contamination of a well, used for human consumption, at a local county fairground. the source was from a high pressure wash station ( for cows ) that drained onto the ground and then migrated to the well in question. my take is that it shows the connection of feces, water ( rain/melting snow ) and drinking water. I will leave it up the readers to determine the relevance to the AT. just my 2 cents

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/09/nyregion/number-of-victims-of-e-coli-poisoning-in-upstate-new-york-grows-to-nearly-300.html

http://www.health.ny.gov/press/releases/2000/ecoli.htm

The Cleaner
04-10-2013, 13:04
I called the USFS Unaka Ranger District office as soon as it opened.One official told me that they had just received e-mails about the situation.Another,the Trails Tech said he had gotten word of the problem late yesterday.He also said that a Prescribed Burn was to take place today in the area around Jerry's Cabin shelter.Might not hurt to burn all around the shelter.They also said that they may issue a warning to hikers in the area.What they may advise has yet to be determined....

Another Kevin
04-10-2013, 13:13
I called the USFS Unaka Ranger District office as soon as it opened.One official told me that they had just received e-mails about the situation.Another,the Trails Tech said he had gotten word of the problem late yesterday.He also said that a Prescribed Burn was to take place today in the area around Jerry's Cabin shelter.Might not hurt to burn all around the shelter.They also said that they may issue a warning to hikers in the area.What they may advise has yet to be determined....

The USFS, Appalachian Ranger District (Pisgah NF) issued one alert yesterday. The text was:

April 9, 2013. Hikers may want to avoid sections of the Appalachian Trail near Hot Springs, N.C., especially the stretch running north to the Tennessee border. A number of hikers have been sickened by a severe, 24-hour stomach virus that is being passed between hikers. Shelters to avoid include No Business Knob, Big Bald and Hogback Ridge. A section of the Appalachian Trail runs through the Appalachian Ranger District, Pisgah National Forest, to the north and south of Hot Springs.

according to the linked-to article from the original post. I'd guess that any alert issued from the Unaka Ranger District would most likely have similar phrasing.

The Cleaner
04-10-2013, 13:23
I just finished a small work contract.(got to work a little to fuel my gear addiction) I would like to get up to Little Laurel and Jerry's Cabin shelters early next week to do a thorough clean-up and germ treatment.Anyone who lives nearby or has ideas of what to do please chime in....

Another Kevin
04-10-2013, 14:32
I just finished a small work contract.(got to work a little to fuel my gear addiction) I would like to get up to Little Laurel and Jerry's Cabin shelters early next week to do a thorough clean-up and germ treatment.Anyone who lives nearby or has ideas of what to do please chime in....

PM sent summarizing my earlier posts on decontamination technique.

HikerMom58
04-11-2013, 17:30
Hey everyone... got good news to share!! :) The stomach virus seems to be dissipating. ChinMusic says that Uncle Johnny's Hostel is handling this outbreak well & is doing everything right to keep hikers healthy!! A BIG THANKS to CHINMUSIC for keeping us informed!!

Colter
04-11-2013, 17:36
For you and Hikermom- it is sad that you were so roundly abused for posting about the situation. I hope you recover from this illness quickly.

+1. The intent was good and the gist of the info accurate.

Another Kevin
04-11-2013, 17:46
Thanks for the info, that is news to me.

Any idea if there ahead sanitizes that are utilize something besides alcohol that would be more effective?

Treat another cupful of water. Use it and soap to wash your hands. Carry a broken-off toothbrush head to get under your nails.

Nothing's 100%, but good old soap and water - if you are using clean water - is pretty darned good.

brian039
04-11-2013, 17:52
Weird, there was a virus outbreak in this exact same area when I thru-hiked in 2010. It didn't affect nearly as many people though.

Lone Wolf
04-11-2013, 19:47
too many hikers, privys, shelters, hostels plus poor hygeine all mixed together. it ain't rocket science. don't need no USFS desk jockeys to issue alerts.

Rasty
04-11-2013, 19:56
too many hikers, privys, shelters, hostels plus poor hygeine all mixed together. it ain't rocket science. don't need no USFS desk jockeys to issue alerts.

It's just puking!

maybe clem
04-12-2013, 06:00
Wow. I hope all those afflicted recover soon and this doesn't deter them from their hike.

HikerMom58
04-17-2013, 06:55
Seems like the latest word on the trail about the sickness is this.... hikers are still getting sick. Use caution hiking north of the Smokeys and into VA. Possibly some testing, of sick hikers, will determine what type of illness this is.......

Old Hiker
04-17-2013, 07:21
Anyone think about their boots/shoes? I know when I set up camp and take them off to get to bed, I don't think to wash my hands after handling them. If you've been hiking through the bio-messes on the Trail or walking past the shelters, I'm sure it's all over the outer surfaces.

I always have germ-x and soap sheets with my TP. IMMMEDIATELY after the paper work is completed and I'm dressed, I wash and sanitize my hands. This is before I touch my pack again. I also try to sanitize my hands before eating and getting fresh water.

Not saying this would help - just thinking (typing) out loud. Hope everyone is getting better and resuming their trips.

Wise Old Owl
04-17-2013, 07:26
Rasty you are hilarious - talk about cross contamination... "It's Just PUKING!":eek:

Mizirlou
04-17-2013, 11:09
Seems like the latest word on the trail about the sickness is this.... hikers are still getting sick.
After a long absence from WB I returned to find this new personality. :rolleyes: Ding dang! WB seems to have morphed into a kinder and more supportive place because of it. No pushover she. Solid info, HM, stay true.

yaduck9
04-17-2013, 13:14
It's just puking!

two thumbs up on that response:p

Another Kevin
04-17-2013, 13:36
Rasty you are hilarious - talk about cross contamination... "It's Just PUKING!":eek:

Cross contamination - hikers get contaminated, which makes them ill, which leaves them quite cross.

Coosa
04-17-2013, 13:51
Looks as if washing your hands with soap and water and using alcohol gel, not just regularly, but before AND after you use a privy, a shelter, read a shelter log, sit at a shelter table, use a privy ... etc etc ... would be advisable.

AND making sure you treat your water 'by the book' ... might be a good place to use a filter and not just 'drops' ...

My 'best guess' is that someone or some animal pooped in one of the water sources ... or infected a shelter log, pen/pencil, privy door handle ... something ...

Just use precaution ...
Coosa