PDA

View Full Version : Right Attitude, Right Mentality Of A Hiker:

Kookork
04-09-2013, 18:42
The thread that started while ago and still running”Beware fleecing in the towns” made me think about this subject.

It seems there are some not so right assumptions among some of us hikers along the way. Some hikers think they are doing a favor hiking a trail (either section of it or thru hiking) to somebody. Let’s make it clear: No hiker is doing any favor for anybody but himself/herself.

We are not doing any favor for trail, nothing for the wildlife, definitely nothing beneficial for the local who are not involved in the business and to be honest nothing extraordinary for the businesses that are hiker dependent.

We are not doing any favor to our parents, our siblings or our friends, community or our country.

We are not entitled to any favor from anybody along the trail and if they give a hand we are deeply appreciative and if not we are not entitled to complain.

Trail angels and trail maintenance crew are heroes and nothing even a big heartily appreciation is enough for them.

We always ask for the price tag before purchase of any goods or service in normal life and the trail is no exception.

The majority of owners of hiking related businesses are people who love their job and are not there to make tons of money out of us. They mostly operated out of love than necessity. They can make a living in another carrier but they chose to do what they do.

Nothing is wrong if business owners charge you accordingly for the services they provide. We have every right to accept it or walk away. We even have the right to complain if the provided service is not as promised but we are not entitled to complain that the service is not free.

The trails are part of this material world and not a separated part of heaven left on earth. We don’t like the moral rules and regulations of trails then we are not force to hike it.

We are all appreciative toward anybody who gives us a hand. They are angels and if they don’t they perfectly entitled not to do it.

Right attitude and mentality is the best gear we are carrying and definitely the irreplaceable one.

Kookork

RED-DOG
04-09-2013, 18:47
Yes i totally agree with ever thing that's said above.

Cookerhiker
04-09-2013, 19:33
Wise and insightful words.

HikerMom58
04-09-2013, 19:36
Yes i totally agree with ever thing that's said above.

+1 to everything KoKo.. just like RED- DOG said ^ . That was well thought out post. Thanks! :)

Another Kevin
04-09-2013, 19:54
We hikers don't own the land we walk on. We are tolerated trespassers; only by acting as Kookork describes may we aspire to become welcome guests.

Meriadoc
04-09-2013, 20:32
Right attitude and mentality is the best gear we are carrying and definitely the irreplaceable one.

Kookork

I agree with everything you said Kookork, especially this last line. I can say that all of the thru hikers I know, that is the ones who 'completed' the trail, kept a good attitude. Either the trail gets it into people's heads or only those who have a good attitude (or are incredibly stubborn) last.

realdeal64
04-09-2013, 20:35
Totally agree!!

Dogwood
04-10-2013, 01:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjbKsF5ScWk

I want and I waaant it nawwww. Don't tell me I can't have it. If I want it I therefore deserve it.

JAK
04-10-2013, 05:52
Doesn't mean hikers have to be considered as mere consumers, or tourists, or sheep.

JAK
04-10-2013, 06:01
... or that hiking should be considered nothing more than an 'industry'.

That is messed up.

Hiking IS supposed to be about more than vacation, recreation, whatever.

... and what are service providers? Are they nothing more than business owners? Is that it?

glass houses

Deadeye
04-10-2013, 16:29

... and what are service providers? Are they nothing more than business owners?

Yes! They're offering a service for a price, that's a business in my book. If you pay, you should get what you pay for. Common courtesy should still be observed by the business person and the customer.

If it's free, it's not business, you get (or decline) what's offered and say "thank you" in either case.

Kookork
04-10-2013, 17:32
Doesn't mean hikers have to be considered as mere consumers, or tourists, or sheep.

You had a huge jump from tourist to sheep. Nobody treats the hikers like sheep. They herd sheep and feed and then slaughter them. Have you had any experience or knowledge about the business owners treating the hikers( or tourists) like sheep?

Why such a jump in a discussion JAK?

bfayer
04-10-2013, 20:43
I hope you don't mind if I add a little.

If you are a thru hiker, you are no better or worse than a section hiker or day hiker. You are not entitled to any more or less of anything.

If you are a section hiker, you are no better or worse than a thru hiker or day hiker. You are not entitled to any more or less of anything.

If you are a day hiker, you are no better or worse than a thru hiker or section hiker. You are not entitled to any more or less of anything.

If you hike with a group, you are no better or worse than a solo hiker. You are not entitled to any more or less of anything.

If you hike solo, you are no better or worse than a group hiking together. You are not entitled to any more or less of anything.

I could go on ad infinitum, but replace any of the above descriptions with any other description and the result is the same. It doesn't matter if you are a butcher, baker or candle stick maker, you are no better or worse than anyone else out on the trail or off the trail That includes anyone that posts here on WB, even if they have never stepped foot on the AT or any other trail.

Almost There
04-10-2013, 20:53
My favorite is when someone says they are hiking the trail for everyone who can't...huh? You're hiking the trail because YOU want to!

JAK
04-10-2013, 22:06
You are saying what they shouldn't be. Fine. But what should they aspire to be?
All I am saying is give absurdity a chance. Oblivion ain't all that it's cracked up to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yoDE-3dTvU

Another Kevin
04-10-2013, 22:41
If you hike solo, you are no better or worse than a group hiking together. You are not entitled to any more or less of anything.

If I am hiking solo, I'm entitled to the tent site that the group's 2-man tent wouldn't fit in. Aside from that, I agree with you 100%.

Kookork
04-11-2013, 00:04
I hope you don't mind if I add a little.

If you are a thru hiker, you are no better or worse than a section hiker or day hiker. You are not entitled to any more or less of anything.

If you are a section hiker, you are no better or worse than a thru hiker or day hiker. You are not entitled to any more or less of anything.

If you are a day hiker, you are no better or worse than a thru hiker or section hiker. You are not entitled to any more or less of anything.

If you hike with a group, you are no better or worse than a solo hiker. You are not entitled to any more or less of anything.

I could go on ad infinitum, but replace any of the above descriptions with any other description and the result is the same. It doesn't matter if you are a butcher, baker or candle stick maker, you are no better or worse than anyone else out on the trail or off the trail That includes anyone that posts here on WB, even if they have never stepped foot on the AT or any other trail.
I have to be honest, Your post is a great addition to the subject, It is very deep and true.

kayak karl
04-11-2013, 06:26
since hikers are not on vacation, but are on a quest. a spiritual pilgramage. a life changing journey. they thing everybody they meet on the trail is part the their support group. they expect positive support either mentally, physically and/or financially.

rocketsocks
04-11-2013, 06:36
We hikers don't own the land we walk on. We are tolerated trespassers; only by acting as Kookork describes may we aspire to become welcome guests.I agree and am reminded of something I heard once.

"Often the most expensive piece of real estate we'll ever own is that beneath our own two feet"

there has to be give and take, yin and yang

Don H
04-11-2013, 07:47
"We are not doing any favor for trail, nothing for the wildlife, definitely nothing beneficial for the local who are not involved in the business and to be honest nothing extraordinary for the businesses that are hiker dependent."

I look at this a little differently.
If it wasn't for hikers there would be no reason to have a trail (this is why it's important to get young people out hiking even though there's lots of people here that complain about the youth groups).
The trail benefits wildlife by protecting habitat.
Hiker support more than hiker dependent businesses. You pay your shuttle driver for the ride, then he buys lunch and gas on the way home thus supporting a local business.

Agree with the rest though. It seems to be more and more these days that people seem to feel they are entitled. It's not just on the trail, its everywhere.

Lone Wolf
04-11-2013, 08:30
since hikers are not on vacation, but are on a quest. a spiritual pilgramage. a life changing journey.

nope. i was on vacation. blue blazing through life

Crusinsusan
04-11-2013, 23:53
It's been my experience that people who feel entitled come from all walks of life, and manage to make themselves heard entirely too much. I used to work in real estate offices (on the business end...literally and figuratively), and most of the agents (all are freelances) were people I felt could never function in a non-freelance position because of their sense of entitlement. The job attracted such people, and they were rude, arrogant, and downright mean.

I don't think hikers are this way....I *do* think certain, very vocal people are this way. Which can ruin many things in life for the rest of us. Thank god I'm out of the rat race, so when someone like that tries their crap with me, I just walk away.

Guess Ron is too. Sorry I won't meet him.

keepinitsimple
04-12-2013, 17:45
Love the videos. Some of this stuff being talked about is silly. "You aint gonna learn what you don't wanna know" comes to mind.

Capt Nat
04-12-2013, 23:04
I walked (stumbled, limped, ambled) about 20 miles of the AT so I'm an expert. I didn't expect anything from anybody. Everybody I met was special and wonderful. Seemed like everyone not only cared about their own experience, but were rooting for everyone else too. The spirit on the trail is so magical, I can see how soom could come to expect what is the usual norm. It's good to remind one another that this should not be taken for granted. Courtesy should be given at all times. Assistance and service should be appreciated all the time!

Mountain Mike
04-13-2013, 00:09
Great OP & many comments. Hikers are deserving of nothing. It amazes me that some people think we should get a discount at a hotel/motel. Why? We mostly seek them in bad weather to dry out our gear & clean up. Just that alone makes a mess of a room far beyond your normal vacationer, & that's not even counting people that slip other people into the room & parties. When I bailed from my PCT thru in 95 to skip north I got a motel room for the night. I thought I was in heaven where I could turn the TV to watch it from the bath while sipping on some good bourbon. The owners let me do laundry for free in their machines out back & When I got out of the tub there was no way I could leave the ring I left in that tub. I scrubbed it away best I could. If you don't do that best you can do is leave hefty tip for the maids that have to deal with you being a slob.

Many of the few hostels that were available when I hiked are now closed. Mostly because of disrespecting the rules. If you don't like the rules, don't stay there. It is as simple as that. Go get a motel room. Life & the trail is all about respect: for the people around you, the environment & yourself!

SOBO_Pace
04-13-2013, 08:02
since hikers are not on vacation, but are on a quest. a spiritual pilgramage. a life changing journey.

nope. i was on vacation. blue blazing through life

If it was a vacation I missed the memo. I've never worked so hard on a vacation. kK was right on.

kayak karl
04-13-2013, 08:10
If it was a vacation I missed the memo. I've never worked so hard on a vacation. kK was right on. i was being very sarcastic:rolleyes:. it's a vacation plain and simple. if you want to make it a quest, a spiritual pilgrimage, a life changing journey to make yourself feel better. feel free:rolleyes:

HikerMom58
04-13-2013, 08:58
i was being very sarcastic:rolleyes:. it's a vacation plain and simple. if you want to make it a quest, a spiritual pilgrimage, a life changing journey to make yourself feel better. feel free:rolleyes:

I believe whatever the motivation is that causes one to set their foot on the AT and start walking defines their AT hike. There's no way, KK, that you can speak to this... :rolleyes:
Not only that, but the word vacation itself means different things to different people. If I were to thru hike the AT, I myself, would not call it a vacation. One could be on vacation, from their job, while they hike the AT.

The only thing that is a "given" about hiking the AT is this- The people that are doing it are not going to, what we would call, a "traditional job" every day.
I'm sure that some people would consider their hike a vacation. I can see that. Would you describe the life of every retired person as being on "vacation"? It depends on the individual. The same thing is true for hiking.

Lone Wolf
04-13-2013, 08:59
kK was right on.

for him maybe

levibarry
04-13-2013, 11:39
Good post with great thoughts. I take it that it is something for us
as hikers to think about. HYOH and keep on hiking.

bfayer
04-13-2013, 12:12
...Life is all about respect: for the people around you, the environment & yourself!

Great thought. I did make one small edit, I hope you don't mind :)

If more people felt this way, life would be so much better.

finish9
04-13-2013, 12:43
Respect is earned (in my book), others do not owe you anything. Just be nice. Also I believe reason for a long hike is in the eyes/thoughts/mind of the hiker. A quest or spiritual reason or in touch with yourself or whatever reason you want to use is still an individual's specific reason. For me it is a vacation pure and simple, not a quest, not for spiritual purposes, not to get in touch with nature not .... Agreed that I will work my butt off in the process but that is what I like. Each person has their specific reason and does not have to satisfy anyone but themselves.