PDA

View Full Version : other outdoor activity

neo
07-02-2005, 00:10
just wanted to know how many long distance hikers also enjoy other outdoor activity,i love long distance backpacking,but i also enjoy,long distance kayaking and cycling:cool: neo

Bob Baker
07-02-2005, 00:17
I enjoy mountain biking but have more fun in the winter when I am snowboarding. I am also a big fan of sailing. Both of these sports should have been included.

Lilred
07-02-2005, 00:24
I like to snow ski, although I don't get much of a chance anymore in middle Tennessee....

digger51
07-02-2005, 00:48
When not playing in the woods I can usually be found either hiking on a golf course or digging for gold in the arizona desert.

MedicineMan
07-02-2005, 02:12
since my hiking days are yet again put on hold.....x-ray last week on left knee says more surgery....funny i'm not as depressed as when i was dealing with the plantar fascitis and the knee thing has a far worse potential outcome...i guess i've finally accepted the fact that for some of us you can only hike for so long...... :(

gsingjane
07-02-2005, 06:46
I put down "other;" middle and long-distance running (well, jogging) are my main sports. In some ways the two sports have a lot in common.

Jane in CT (off today for a 3-day fun trip to try out my new REI tent!)

The Hog
07-02-2005, 07:25
Jogging, cycling, tennis, downhill skiing, X-C skiing, telemark, ice skating, canoeing, rafting, frisbee, basketball, soccer, rock climbing, kayaking, surfing, racquetball, squash, etc. If it's active, count me in. I'm currently trying to learn windsurfing. Gotta keep moving as you get older, it adds years to your life expectancy and enjoyment to the time that you have left. Carpe diem.

neo
07-02-2005, 11:02
I enjoy mountain biking but have more fun in the winter when I am snowboarding. I am also a big fan of sailing. Both of these sports should have been included.
thats why i put other,i cant think of every thing lol.
happy snowboarding and sailing to ya,i could have listed 4 wheeling
ut i did not,i love my jeep,and my wife loves her jeep to:cool: neo

neo
07-02-2005, 11:04
since my hiking days are yet again put on hold.....x-ray last week on left knee says more surgery....funny i'm not as depressed as when i was dealing with the plantar fascitis and the knee thing has a far worse potential outcome...i guess i've finally accepted the fact that for some of us you can only hike for so long...... :(
i hope every thing works out medicine man,me and the wife will be praying for you:cool: neo

neo
07-02-2005, 11:05
When not playing in the woods I can usually be found either hiking on a golf course or digging for gold in the arizona desert.
hey digger,have you ever found any gold:cool: neo

neo
07-02-2005, 11:07
I like to snow ski, although I don't get much of a chance anymore in middle Tennessee....
hi mary,are ya still on the AT ,I been reading your on line journal,have
a great day:cool: neo

rocket04
07-02-2005, 18:21
I play soccer. It's practically a religion for me...

DMA, 2000
07-02-2005, 19:32
Cycling and rugby for me.

Lone Wolf
07-02-2005, 22:15
Golf, horseshoes, and running. Biking on the Creeper. Riding my Harley.

Doctari
07-02-2005, 22:38
I voted "other not mentioned" because there was no "all of the above".

Some of the "other things" I do: Mt bike, road bike, climb, rapell, canoe, horseback ride, fish, swim, water ski, snorkel, cross country ski, roller blade, ice skate, etc.

Doctari.

Dances with Mice
07-02-2005, 23:11
Full Contact X-Treme Gardening.

digger51
07-02-2005, 23:29
Sure have Neo, plenty of gold still out there for people willig to work hard.

jackiebolen
07-03-2005, 00:17
Where's the downhill ski option? That's the number two for me behind backpacking/hiking.

I lived in Vancouver this past winter, which is ideal as it's only a 2 hour drive from Whistler/Blackcomb. Let's just say that my grades suffered a little in the winter semester :datz

smokymtnsteve
07-03-2005, 18:32
I enjoy dog mushing and snowshoeing...

nothing like running a good dog team under the northern lights,,,can't wait for winter to get here!

Waterbuffalo
07-07-2005, 21:00
Just got into Mtn biking seriously here helps me get in better shape for hiking or vice versa.
hmmmm

neo
07-07-2005, 21:07
sex can be an outdoor activity,i love it :cool: neo

Scrunchy
07-07-2005, 21:08
Also, downhill and cross country skiing!

fiddlehead
07-07-2005, 21:14
All of the above plus many others. I also enjoy: running, mountaneering, swimming, drinking at outside bars, yachting, snorkelling, even riding my motorcycle. (it's not a Harley though, only a Honda but it's fun to drive through the jungles here)
I don't like being inside.

orangebug
07-07-2005, 21:16
Running/jogging ought to be a choice.

Mags
07-08-2005, 10:35
Trail running
Backcountry falliing (too lousy of a skier to call it "skiing!)
Snowshoeing
I do bike a lot...but more for transportation than anything.

D'Artagnan
07-08-2005, 11:26
I just this year got into backpacking on a relatively serious scale (serious for me anyways). Then a friend suggested we get kayaks and do some evening and weekend paddling upstream on the Yadkin River here in North Carolina for exercise and just to get away from the house. It is amazing how simultaneously invigorating and relaxing kayaking can be. I still love and guard the solitude of backpacking on the AT, but kayaking is a very close second for its restorative properties. When I'm on the Yadkin River and I imagine that Daniel Boone may have seen the same landscapes (his father and mother, Squire and Sarah Boone, are interred in Mocksville, my hometown) it fills me with a sense of adventure I am hard-pressed to put into words. The Walter Mittie side of my brain kicks in and I find myself somewhere else in time. Kayaking is great fun and something that does not have to be prohibitively expensive to enjoy. I highly recommend it.

Happypappy
07-08-2005, 12:11
I must admit that my favorite outdoor activity is archery hunting. It is a way of life with me, and with some of my friends.

Lone Wolf
07-08-2005, 12:18
Dove hunting used to be a favorite thing of mine to do when I lived on my uncle's dairy farm in R.I. Talk about fast food!

SGT Rock
07-08-2005, 12:20
Dove hunting is quite fun. And tastes good too.

jlb2012
07-08-2005, 13:22
Does trail maintenance qualify as _another_ outdoor activity from hiking?

Footslogger
07-08-2005, 13:28
Add me to the snowshoe/downhill ski list. Never took it seriously until I moved to Wyoming. Tried the X-country skiing but can't seem to master keeping those long narrow slats paralell, especially on turns. Spend too much time hollering "Oh Sh_ _" moments before colliding with trees.

'Slogger

SGT Rock
07-08-2005, 13:40
Does trail maintenance qualify as _another_ outdoor activity from hiking?
I say yes. :sun

Ender
07-08-2005, 15:18
Dove hunting used to be a favorite thing of mine to do when I lived on my uncle's dairy farm in R.I. Talk about fast food!

This made me laugh out loud. The people I work with are looking at me funny. :rolleyes:

JoeHiker
07-08-2005, 16:30
Running. I love it, always have. Since I was a kid. I love to run and do road races. In a decent training week I'll run all 7 days with a bunch of 2-a-days in there. Can't get enough of it.

Sure makes the hiking miles easy when you hit the trail in that kind of shape.

Ewker
07-08-2005, 23:36
I enjoy road biking and kayaking. Would like to do some swimming but I have got to learn how to swim properly instead of flailing :(

Hey Neo you doing the J & B. Last yr was my first time and I will do it again. Biggest problem was drinking to many Lynchburg Lemonades :D

TooUnfazed
07-14-2005, 14:29
I figured cycling covered mountain biking. You can cover a lot of ground mountain biking and it's more interesting than just cycling. We did a three day trip last weekend starting in Philadelphia, PA (Schuykill River Trail), then taking the Perkiomen Trail to Green Lane to make camp, then back again. It's about a 64 mile trip cycling, with much more time added for off-trail mountain biking experience. We are looking forward to more rail to trail transformations in PA in order to increase our distance.

http://www.montcopa.org/parks/perkiomentrail/about_the_trail.htm

peter_pan
07-14-2005, 14:34
Long distance motorcycling and fishing.

Jaybird
08-13-2005, 09:06
just wanted to know how many long distance hikers also enjoy other outdoor activity,i love long distance backpacking,but i also enjoy,long distance kayaking and cycling:cool: neo

as many of you know...besides the hikin'...i LOVE CYCLING!
(as you can tell by my TRAIL JOURNALS site)

i usually ride in an organized ride once a month & do the casual riding thing (about 100 miles a week) around the rolling hills of middle TN other times.

i get in about 1500 miles each year during my CYCLING season! (Mar.-Oct.) :D

Cookerhiker
08-13-2005, 09:47
When I retired 2 years ago, I intended to spend equal time on backpacking, cycling, and kayaking. Thus far, it's been 90% backpacking - my cycling has gotten rusty and I've yet to buy a kayak. My co-workers presented me with a $600 gift certificate to REI upon retiring but I've used almost all on backpacking/camping.

Living in the DC area provides opportunites for everything - cycling on the C&O Canal and various rail-trails and kayaking on the Potomac, Chesapeake, Atlantic, and numerous tributaries. I'll get there!

Freighttrain
08-13-2005, 12:04
i like long distance canoeing... paddled across the country last year, from Three Forks Montana to New Orleans... im surprised more thru hikers arent out doing it

Slimer
08-13-2005, 13:36
Paddling, cycling..........A former thru-hiker just finished a "thru paddle" of the Mississippi River recently.......said it took him about 100 days to do it. The Mississippi River will probably be my next trip........or maybe the Intracoastal Waterway.

kyhipo
08-13-2005, 15:20
i still play alot of basketball and still love to jumprope and jog a little :dance ky

Sorcerer
08-13-2005, 17:12
A little different type of sight-seeing than hiking. If you're diving "slow" enough you might make it to 1/2 mph. It is very relaxing! A lot less strenuous than hiking, except lugging the tank to the water!

justusryans
08-13-2005, 17:20
Diving is on my "to do" list along with taking a canoe down the Mississippi River but I usually settle for a little recreational canoeing.

neo
08-13-2005, 21:01
here are some yaking pics:cool: neohttp://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/3462

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/8295/sort/1/size/medium/cat/500/page/1

Chip
08-29-2005, 21:09
Fly Fishing. :)

Moxie00
08-29-2005, 21:46
Mt. Bike, but never on hiking trails. Alpine and Nordic Skiing (I live in Maine). Golf is a wonderful way to keep in hiking shape when there isn't time to go out for a couple of days. Dances With Mice has a great option to put corn and tomatoes on the table but it is alot of work compared to hiking, kayaking, skiing or golf. Sweat on Dude and Dudess

hauptman
08-29-2005, 22:00
you want me to choose? they are all great activities and how can i choose but a few, i love them all with equal vigor man! you need an all of the above option!

irritable_badger
01-28-2006, 19:41
Fly fishing. Brook Trout are a blast and you get to hike into the best streams as well, it's like a two-for-one.

neo
01-28-2006, 20:25
Fly fishing. Brook Trout are a blast and you get to hike into the best streams as well, it's like a two-for-one.

i hear there are a lot great places for fly fishing in east tn:cool: neo

irritable_badger
01-28-2006, 20:31
Yep. I've fished most of the Eastern US and East TN is the best. My favorite part is most of the tourists won't get more get anywhere near the higher altitude streams, since you have to walk in, so you can pretty much have it all to yourself. (Plus the fish are always bigger when you fish by yourself :))

Ridge
01-29-2006, 05:32
Trail maintenance and 12oz curls.

oliander
01-30-2006, 17:50
Triathlons, all the way! They are much easier to learn than most people think, they add diversity to your outdoor pursuits (a different sport every day, so you never get bored). And long-distance hikers have great base/endurance training for triathlons.

Mouse
01-30-2006, 18:29
Tall ship sailing! The year after my hike I joined the volunteer crew of the 177 foot Portugese wooden barquentine "Gazela" built back in 1883. Several of our crew are AT thruhikers. Thruhiking seems to be excellent training for the dampness, wet weather, cold and wind that occur, the cramped co-ed crew quarters ("privacy is a state of mind"), mutual interdependence and other aspects of tall ship life.

I wonder if it works the other way around; anyone start with tall ships and then thruhike?