PDA

View Full Version : Davis Path Shelter

Kerosene
07-02-2005, 08:46
The Davis Path Shelter is only a 2.7 miles south of the Groseclose exit off I-81, just north of Atkins. There is a picnic table and a sunny exposure, although the AT runs through the slanted front yard.

I never did recognize Davis Path itself, but at the time I was rushing SOBO trying to catch up with someone who might be able to give me a shuttle back to Roanoke (turns out they were going south).

The Trail passes through a meadow 7 miles north of the shelter (soon after a road crossing) that merits rain pants and gaitors if there is a lot of dew or it's been raining.

twilight
06-17-2010, 23:09
I s this shelter still there? I have it on my map, but it does not mention it in my edition of Appalachian Pages, it just says it a campsite.:confused:

Twilight

Jeff
06-18-2010, 05:49
It was torn down a couple of years ago. I think Lone Wolf did most of the work.:D

Rain Man
06-18-2010, 10:10
I s this shelter still there? I have it on my map, but it does not mention it in my edition of Appalachian Pages, it just says it a campsite.:confused:

Same here. I had planned to hike through there this weekend (but had to postpone a few weeks). Some of my trail materials show/say shelter, other shows/says campsite.

It is now a campsite, no longer a shelter. This is one reason I always contact the local trail club for updates before heading out for a hike.

Happy Hiker Hollow (hostel) is very close. Maybe they tore down the competition?! LOL (Sorry, Rambunny, the devil made me say that!)

Rain:sunMan

Cedar Tree
06-18-2010, 11:08
There is a platform there. It looks to be what was once the floor of the shelter, with no walls or roof. I don't think there is water there. Crawfish Valley is just north and a great place to camp.
CT

jlb2012
06-18-2010, 11:52
privy was still there also - don't know about the water since I just dropped the deuce and hiked on

twilight
06-19-2010, 08:38
Thanks for the updates guys. May camp at Crawfish Valley or push on to Davis Campsite nexted week. We'll see.

Twilight:sun

TexasEd
08-23-2010, 17:42
August 2010

No shelter, just a platform you can tent on. Mouldering privy.

No water at this site.

Crawfish Valley was HOT, HUMID and full of Mosquitoes.