PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Thru Hiker's Guide to America

Whistler
07-02-2005, 16:12
As a heads-up to fellow LD hikers, I just stumbled across this book in my local library:

Thru Hiker's Guide to America: 25 Incredible Trails You Can Hike in One to Eight Weeks, by Erik Schlimmer. 2005 Ragged Mountain Press

It's pretty cool so far. It ignores the Triple Crown and focuses on a selection of our regional trails, from 100-1300 miles. Each trail has description/ history, as well as information on weather, terrain, water, wildlife, points of interest, and info resources.

Check it out.
-Mark

spunky
07-04-2005, 12:15
What are some of the trails??? Our public library never has trail guides or outdoor books so I always buy whatever I'm interested in.

As a heads-up to fellow LD hikers, I just stumbled across this book in my local library:

Thru Hiker's Guide to America: 25 Incredible Trails You Can Hike in One to Eight Weeks, by Erik Schlimmer. 2005 Ragged Mountain Press

It's pretty cool so far. It ignores the Triple Crown and focuses on a selection of our regional trails, from 100-1300 miles. Each trail has description/ history, as well as information on weather, terrain, water, wildlife, points of interest, and info resources.

Check it out.
-Mark

Whistler
07-04-2005, 13:19
What are some of the trails??? Our public library never has trail guides or outdoor books so I always buy whatever I'm interested in.
www.thruhikersguide.com/contents.html (http://www.thruhikersguide.com/contents.html)
-Mark

Happy Feet
07-04-2005, 15:44
We have this book. I read it on the treadmill and pretend that I'm on the trail that I'm reading about! I gives a nice overview of each trail and lists sources so that once you pick a trail to hike you can obtain the information needed to thru hike it.

The Solemates
07-05-2005, 09:57
nice. im always excited about new books like this. may have to pick it up.

spunky
07-05-2005, 23:22
Thanks for sharing the table of contents page. I've placed it on my "wish list" of books to buy soon.:sun

www.thruhikersguide.com/contents.html (http://www.thruhikersguide.com/contents.html)
-Mark