PDA

View Full Version : Food bag

realdeal64
04-10-2013, 22:05
I have bought 99.9 % of my gear,however one last item I need s a food bag.
Can someone Please !! advice me on a good brand,also what would be a good liter size for a food ? Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!!

Teacher & Snacktime
04-10-2013, 22:13
I have bought 99.9 % of my gear,however one last item I need s a food bag.
Can someone Please !! advice me on a good brand,also what would be a good liter size for a food ? Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!!

Walmart carries the Outdoor Products waterproof 15L bag for $5.97....functional and cheap

Tuckahoe
04-10-2013, 22:18
Just me personally, but I bought an inexpensive waterproof bag at Dick's one day. Didnt see a need to fret too much about it, especially as it was only intended to hold my food separate from my other stuff in my pack. Whatever it was it was their large size and if anything I have too much space Iin the bag.

Sarcasm the elf
04-10-2013, 22:21
There are plenty of bags that will work just fine. I'm a fan of waterproof Sea to Summit bags especially back when I used to bear-bag. My current one is a 13L which is good for about 5 days of food (for me).

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/64

rocketsocks
04-10-2013, 22:35
If you want to go expensive and light weight a "Sea to Summit" sil-nylon Dry-Sac around 13 Liters to 15 Liters will set you back about 25-35 dollars, and probably hold 3-4 days worth of food (depending on what and how much you eat) I also have a cheapy wally world bag, it is seam sealed with tape. When I got home that night after purchasing it, I put a shirt in it, opened my bedroom window...and chucked it......it kept a shirt dry for two days in the rain. After repeated stuffing of food, they'll all fail at some point or when the water repellant finish wears away...the sil-nylon impregnated (w/silicone) may hold up a little better.....but I have no experience to back that up.

Another Kevin
04-10-2013, 22:37
There are pleny of bags that will work just fine. I'm a fan of waterproof Sea to Summit bags especially back when I used to bear-bag. My current one is a 13L which is good for about 5 days of food (for me).

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/64

I have a 13 litre S2S dry bag too, except that I've got the bug-gut green one with the transparent window, for no better reason than it's what EMS had the day I got it.
I threaded a keychain 'biner through one of the loops that the buckle is sewn into. That gives me a place to clip the line for a PCT bearbag hang. And being a drysack, it can hang out in the weather without getting any food ruined.

daddytwosticks
04-11-2013, 07:14
Ursak Minor and you will never have to worry about rodents, flying squirrels, mice, etc. getting your food even when properly hung from a bear cable/rope. :)

Hiking Man
04-11-2013, 08:15
I like the Zpacks cuben fiber blast food bag. Water proof light and a good size for about 5 days food. Most dry sacks are tall and skinny, but he Zpack food bag/dry sack is short and wide. It really fits much better in your pack and helps out with saving space in your pack.
http://www.zpacks.com/large_image.shtml?accessories/drybags/blast_roll_top_l.jpg

Coosa
04-11-2013, 19:45
http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/product/848362/outdoor-research-ultralight-dry-sack

Outdoor Research Ultralight Dry Sack ... Has a nice D-Ring to hang it from. 15 Liter size & less than 2 ounces.

RF_ace
04-11-2013, 20:29
Zpacks food bag, has a small biner built in so you can use a larger one as stopper when doing a food hang, makes the task extremely fast

swjohnsey
04-11-2013, 20:42
I use two of the plastic bags you get with groceries.

bigcranky
04-11-2013, 20:48
+1 for the Zpacks Blast roll top food bag. It fits a lot better in my pack (ULA Circuit) than my Ursack, and it's easy to hang in the PCT style.

Theosus
04-12-2013, 00:26
I use the wal-mart "outdoor products" bags. They come in a three pack of different sizes (orange/blue/green). my food is in its ziplock bags anyway, I dont care about rain. The green bag holds my cook kit and three days of food. The roll top and clip hold pretty well and hold up well to bear-bagging, being a nice place to clip the carabiner

MuddyWaters
04-12-2013, 00:50
+ another vote for the Zpacks blast. 0.85 oz

Most food bags are too skinny, dont fit well into pack.
The Zpacks is rectangular and the right size to take up most of the cross section of a UL pack

Chaco Taco
04-12-2013, 07:11
http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/170

jeffmeh
04-12-2013, 11:24
Here's another option if you expect to do some PCT hangs. http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=79

SunnyWalker
04-13-2013, 11:11
I bought the Wal-Mart bag and was not satisfied. I then bought the Sea to Summit bag, based on BigNCranky's recommend. I really like it and plan on taking it April 27 on CDT.

Country Roads
04-13-2013, 18:31
I have used a grapefruit mesh bag lined with a garbage bag. Not extremely durable, but if you are careful, it is waterproof, lightweight and easy to hang. The grapefruit bag allows you to hang heavier loads than just the garbage bag and does provide some protection for the garbage bag. You can use the grapefruit bag (or the garbage bag) for other things too.
But now that I am only a little bit poor, I use either one of the roll top bags from Walmart or a Z-packs blast food bag.

bigcranky
04-13-2013, 20:45
I bought the Wal-Mart bag and was not satisfied. I then bought the Sea to Summit bag, based on BigNCranky's recommend. I really like it and plan on taking it April 27 on CDT.

You sure that was me? I've used an Ursack for years, and just started using the Zpacks Blast roll top food bag. Not sure I've used the S2S bag, though I've seen it in stores and it looks good. I'm just getting to the age where I don't remember these things any more....

realdeal64
04-13-2013, 21:23
Thanks for all the GREAT advice !!!!

realdeal64
04-13-2013, 21:25
Thanks for all the GREAT advice !!!