PDA

View Full Version : Crush Resistant Cereal

ole slo
04-10-2013, 22:25
Oatmeal, Grape Nuts and Cream of Wheat come to mind as reasonably sturdy, and a search with the word cereal in it produces multiple pages of responses which deter the weak from trying to read them all. Can anyone think of other breakfast cereals which will not turn to dust in your backpack before you have a chance to eat them.

Slowbo
04-10-2013, 23:15
I like to pack/eat granola with Nestles Nedo. Travels well and doesn't turn to dust.

Meriadoc
04-10-2013, 23:35
I have really not had a problem with my cereal being crushed. I've carried many different kinds of cereal including things like frosted flakes and cinnamon toast crunch (I have a bit of a sweet tooth :D). I think the key is to have a large enough food bag and be willing to carry it uncompressed. When I carried cold cereal my food bag was huge. It was rather ridiculous looking but quite tasty and refreshing in those summer months when it was too hot for oatmeal.

SCRUB HIKER
04-10-2013, 23:38
Pretty much any of the fancy-dan granola cereals that you find in the organic/special healthy foods section of the grocery stores (they're everywhere on the AT, although they can vary in size). They don't lose any of their structure at all.

Also, correct for noticing that the search function on this site sucks. Search the following in Google and you'll get better answers:

cereal site:whiteblaze.net

cliffordbarnabus
04-11-2013, 01:11
your teeth ultimately crush it though, anyhow, right?

Swordpen
04-11-2013, 01:54
Fiber One cereal.

Deacon
04-11-2013, 06:27
I've found the Kashi brand cereals hold up very well in a tightly packed food bag. The berry or cinnamon crumbles are very firm.

mrcoffeect
04-11-2013, 06:36
honeynut cherrios are pretty tough and their good to mix in with trail mix or gorp.

Spirit Walker
04-11-2013, 11:56
Granola (usually Quaker 100% Natural) and/or raisin bran. It has to be something that's going to keep me full for a while. Cheerios carry pretty well, but don't really fill me up.

tiptoe
04-11-2013, 12:43
I'm going to take muesli (Bob's Red Mill) with "additives": coconut flakes, nuts, maybe some home-dried fruit, dried milk. Don't anticipate problems with crushing.

Old Hiker
04-11-2013, 14:39
Frosted mini-wheats.

RedBeerd
04-11-2013, 15:17
Oatmeal, Grape Nuts and Cream of Wheat come to mind as reasonably sturdy, and a search with the word cereal in it produces multiple pages of responses which deter the weak from trying to read them all. Can anyone think of other breakfast cereals which will not turn to dust in your backpack before you have a chance to eat them.

People eat cream of wheat?

garlic08
04-11-2013, 15:47
The muesli I make with rolled oats, nuts, and raisins can't be harmed by crushing.

ole slo
04-11-2013, 18:49
Thanks for the advice everyone. It looks like I'll have plenty of choices. Scrub Hiker, The Google search tip was great!

SCRUB HIKER
04-11-2013, 19:35
I'm going to take muesli (Bob's Red Mill) with "additives": coconut flakes, nuts, maybe some home-dried fruit, dried milk. Don't anticipate problems with crushing.

Definitely a good idea ... Bob knows what's up. Oddly enough, one of the only places I found Bob's Red Mill muesli on the whole trail was at the Hillbilly Market in Hot Springs. You'll see what I mean if you go there.

Thanks for the advice everyone. It looks like I'll have plenty of choices. Scrub Hiker, The Google search tip was great!

Thanks. I post that every time I can; it's the only way to help people access the massive amount of information on the site.

k2basecamp
04-11-2013, 20:34
Post Honeycomb cereal aged a couple months in an open container will last several years on the trail and can also be used as a traction device by weaving several together.

4Bears
04-11-2013, 20:59
Post Honeycomb cereal aged a couple months in an open container will last several years on the trail and can also be used as a traction device by weaving several together.
This is too funny ..... It's no big deal if it all gets crushed, it's just cereal, just add enough liquid to make a mush and eat it.

Kerosene
04-11-2013, 21:31
I like Cracklin' Oat Bran with apricots added in. A bit dry, but I can chow it down while I'm walking instead of cooking a hot breakfast.

redseal
04-12-2013, 12:15
Cheerios work reasonably well depending on how you pack it. I can usually get 2 - 3 without significant crush-age.

Coosa
04-15-2013, 04:32
Kashi Go-Lean

13 gr Protein

Use it in place of bread/crackers/tortillas -- mix with your Peanut Butter.

;)
Coosa

FarmerChef
04-15-2013, 09:51
+1 for granola, especially homemade. mmmm. As a treat on longer hikes, I also mail ahead a couple boxes (just the bags of course) of lucky charms. Don't know what they do those charms but they hold up just fine.