PDA

View Full Version : Around what time of the year does attempting a NOBO hike become unreasonable?

The Green Man
04-11-2013, 21:21
Hello!

I'm asking because I was very much hoping to thru-hike this year, hoping specifically for next month, but I'm still not sure that I'm going to be where I want to be financially at that time. Would it be reasonable to attempt a NOBO in say, June or July?

10-K
04-11-2013, 21:35
Sure, you could start June 1st if you have some experience and could handle 20+ mile days out of the gate.

May 1st would be a lot better - ideal even - for a NOBO hike.

Kerosene
04-11-2013, 21:37
It all depends on how quickly you walk!

If you have to ask the question, then you're probably in the 5-6 month range of completion. If you start June 1, a 5-month hike would have you finishing after Katahdin officially "closes" on October 15. There's always the chance that you can summit later than the 15th, but the odds are against you every day into October.

Another alternative is a flip-flop thru-hike. Start north from Springer at whatever date you choose, but then catch a bus to Katahdin no later than September 1st and hike back to where you left off. Not quite as much of a landmark finish, but you will still have covered the miles.

I'm sure that other multiple thru-hikers will provide you with even better guidance. But, if nothing else, just get out there and walk!

bigcranky
04-11-2013, 21:56
Or start at Harper's Ferry and hike to Katahdin, then get a ride back to HF and hike south to Springer. This lets you "finish" twice, also you get to start in more moderate terrain.

moldy
04-12-2013, 08:04
Start in early June. By early August you will know, and if you are not as quick as you thought then take a bus to Maine and hike South. You might end up as a NOBO thru-hiker or you might end up as a Flip-Flop thru-hiker, either way you will be a thru-hiker......

kayak karl
04-12-2013, 08:06
Or start at Harper's Ferry and hike to Katahdin, then get a ride back to HF and hike south to Springer. This lets you "finish" twice, also you get to start in more moderate terrain.
this would be the best of both worlds

summitsandskies
04-21-2013, 00:01
Yep, that is exactly how I am planning to do my flip flop thru this year starting first week of June. :D

Donde
04-21-2013, 02:21
Or you could just SOBO.

fiddlehead
04-21-2013, 09:51
I started one year around May 9th.
Finished Oct 10th that year I believe and took a week off when I went through my hometown near Port Clinton, PA.
I'm a 20 mpd hiker normally.
Good luck.
If you are in shape and dedicated to a thru-hike with finish on Katahdin, I'd say you could start up until the middle of May or, depending on your age and experience, possibly later.
Good luck.

max patch
04-21-2013, 21:04
Every day past May 1 that you start a NOBO thru if you are an average hiker the odds increase that you will have to flip at some point.

Spirit Walker
04-22-2013, 13:17
One issue with starting in Georgia that late is you get the heat in the south and sometimes weedy overgrown trail.

Why not do a straight southbound hike? You'll have company, you'll get to meet many of the NOBOS, and you won't have to deal with transportation issues.

Even if you start at HF, unless you start June 1 or so, you'll be racing winter, since chances are you'll have to start with lower mileage for the first couple of weeks.

Feral Bill
04-22-2013, 14:27
I have to ask, Is a thru hike ever reasonable? Really?