PDA

View Full Version : What is Aquamira Shelf life?

Freedom Walker
04-11-2013, 21:29
I opened and used a bottle of Aqua Mira 18 months ago. It has a exp date of May 2015. I thought I read they are good for only a year after opening. I need to know if it is still effective and safe to use? Thanks

Rocket Jones
04-12-2013, 05:57
As long as they're in the original bottle and kept tightly closed, it should be good until the expiration date. Probably longer since those dates are generally conservative.

I need a new set in the next couple of months too.

Another Kevin
04-12-2013, 09:31
I'd imagine that the chief factors limiting shelf life are stability of the plastic containers (they will start to crack over time, both from ultraviolet exposure and from corrosion from the chemicals), and evaporation of the water, leaving a solution of unknown concentration. The active ingredients are quite stable. If you keep the containers in a dark place when you're not hiking, the shelf life should be quite conservative.

daddytwosticks
04-12-2013, 15:50
I'd imagine that the chief factors limiting shelf life are stability of the plastic containers (they will start to crack over time, both from ultraviolet exposure and from corrosion from the chemicals), and evaporation of the water, leaving a solution of unknown concentration. The active ingredients are quite stable. If you keep the containers in a dark place when you're not hiking, the shelf life should be quite conservative. I store mine in the refrigerator...cold and dark like my heart. :)

Don H
04-12-2013, 16:24
Mix a dose, if it doesn't turn yellow it has lost its effectiveness.