PDA

View Full Version : Frogg Toggs

DMA, 2000
07-03-2005, 13:54
I am considering buying a suit. I've tended to go a bit light on rain gear in the past. On the AT, I used a poncho that also covered the pack, and that never really worked out. Since then, I've just had a pack cover and worried less about staying dry myself (most of my hiking is in southern California). But now I'm planning a trip in a wet place and think Frogg Toggs might be just the thing.

So anyway, the Pro Action looks pretty good, but maybe the Original is adequate for $14 less. Is it? Does anyone know if there's a substantial difference between the two?

Thanks

kncats
07-03-2005, 19:07
The Pro Action has a fulll zipper on the jacket, the original is more of a smock. I've used my Frogg Toggs for years now (same set) and like any other rain gear they can get hot. I have the full zip on mine and don't think I'd want to be without the ventilation it offers.

jackiebolen
07-03-2005, 19:21
When it's hot enough to need the full zip, you can probably just hike in the rain without worrying about a rain jacket and be warm enough.

I use an umbrella to stay dry in warm weather and that seems to do the trick better than any rainjacket does.

Save your money and buy the cheap-o. Use the saved money to buy an umbrella.

dje97001
07-05-2005, 09:08
Just my two cents, my wife and I bought these--Red Ledge Techlight
Total Weight (anorak + pants): ~15 oz.
Total Cost (anorak + pants): $18.00 at campmor.com

They are quite nice.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39169940
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39170064

Kerosene
07-05-2005, 10:22
Just my two cents, my wife and I bought these--Red Ledge Techlight
Total Weight (anorak + pants): ~15 oz.
Total Cost (anorak + pants): $18.00 at campmor.com

They are quite nice.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39169940
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39170064 Note that these appear to be made of a coated material (no indication of breathability) and are not advertised as waterproof, only "highly water resistant". Plus the anorak design will limit your ability to vent.

On the other hand, it has nice pockets and you can't beat the price.

digger51
07-05-2005, 15:30
I bought a set of techlight and tried them out. They were not breathable and repelled water very nicely until it rained. But they were priced just right.

Frosty
07-05-2005, 16:02
I bought a set of techlight and tried them out. They were not breathable and repelled water very nicely until it rained. But they were priced just right.I can't tell if this is a joke or a gear review.

Are you saying that you bought a set of techlights and they weren't water repellant?

FatMan
07-05-2005, 20:07
Get the Pro Action. You won't be disappointed. My Frogg Toggs are a key piece of gear for me. I've heard people knock them for their durability but I have not had any problems. I suppose if you did a lot of bushwhacking you could catch and tear the material, but they have been more than durable enough for me. And most important is they actually keep you dry and they do breath better than any other rain gear I've used.

Sly
07-05-2005, 20:49
I used a Frogg Togg suit on a couple long hikes and thought they were great. Any rips and tears could easily be repaired with duct tape from the inside and would last several washings. Eventually the jacket wore out and stopped repelling water.

The only drawbacks being no brim on the hood, the lack of pockets on the jacket and no pit zips.

The Pro Suit appears to have added the first two. Is this true?

DMA, 2000
07-05-2005, 23:56
The website gives no indication that the Pro Action hood has a brim. However, it is detachable. The pictures appear to show that there are no pockets either (except in the pants, and they are "pass through".

Thanks for all the advice guys.

fiddlehead
07-06-2005, 02:57
As per your original question, i think the full zip jacket is better for hiking because we often sweat so much and the abilitity to vent is so important. I believe the Frogg Toggs are the driest raingear i have ever tried including the Patagonia "no h2o gear" and North Face gore tex (which hardly kept me dry at all)
I have worn out frogg toggs but mostly because of sliding down mtns of snow and wore the butt out on them.
Bucky's quote on Frogg Toggs : "Frogg toggs are great except that you have to ask someone else if it's raining out!"
ps. they double as good sleeping gear when it's cold too.

dje97001
07-06-2005, 07:20
The material for the techlights is the same as practically any other poncho you own. It isn't breathable... but honestly when you are hiking, no matter what raingear you put on you will end up sweating more, and therefore get wet underneath your raingear anyway... don't most of you only wear rain gear when it gets really bad or when you are sitting around in camp? Of all the things that you need to spend money on it just seems like a $70+ rainsuit is a waste since (especially when it is hot) you are going to want the rain to help you cool off. I figure that if I'm only going to use it while sitting around in camp, or when there is an icy/cold rain that doesn't feel good (when lack of breathability would actually warm me up)---why not get the lightest weight option and the heck with breathability? (and save 50 bucks in the meantime)

Texas Dreamer
07-06-2005, 10:58
Just got back from the AT. Carried frogg jacket as my only outer layer and was very happy with it. Had good breathability, as breathability goes. The sleeves were long enough to pull down over hands and poles allowing me to ditch gloves. I didn't carry the pants.

Mine are orange with longhorn logo on chest--check around in your area, maybe they have them in your favorite team.

Sly
07-06-2005, 18:58
I figure that if I'm only going to use it while sitting around in camp, or when there is an icy/cold rain that doesn't feel good (when lack of breathability would actually warm me up)---why not get the lightest weight option and the heck with breathability? (and save 50 bucks in the meantime)

It doesn't quite work like that. Once you stop producing heat and you're wet causing a drop in temperture, you're screwed. Unless you get out of the rain and quickly change into dry clothes, you're chances of getting hypothermia are increased.

On the otherhand, breathable garments draw moisture off the skin, lessening a quick drop in core temperture.

Sly
07-06-2005, 19:16
Note that most cases develop, in bold. Could happen anytime on the AT.

From the Yellowstone (http://www.yellowstoneparknet.com/travel_tips/hypothermia.php) website...

Hypothermia is a major killer of unprepared recreationalists. The time to prevent hypothermia is during the period of exposure and gradual exhaustion.

Hypothermia is the rapid, progressive mental and physical collapse accompanying the chilling of the inner core of the human body. Each year outdoor recreationalists die from it. Most of these deaths could be prevented with the advance knowledge and appropriate action.

* STAY DRY. STAY OUT OF THE WIND. AVOID GETTING CHILLED. PUT ON RAIN GEAR BEFORE YOU GET WET.
* PUT WARM CLOTHES ON BEFORE YOU START SHIVERING.
* USING A HAT AND GLOVES CONSERVES VITAL BODY HEAT.

Avoid exposure. When a person is wet, the body is cooled rapidly as the water evaporates. A breeze increases the rate of heat loss dramatically.

When clothes get wet, they lose much of their insulating value. Cotton and down lose the most, wool loses less, and synthetic piles lose the least and dry out the fastest... Most hypothermia cases develop in air temperatures between 30 and 50 degrees. 50 degree water is unbearably cold. The cold that can kill is the cold held against the body by wet clothes wicking away body heat.

WARNING SIGNS OF HYPOTHERMIA

* UNCONTROLLABLE SHIVERING - IMMOBILE, FUMBLING HANDS.
* SLOW, SLURRED SPEECH - STUMBLING, LURCHING GAIT.
* MEMORY LAPSES, INCOHERENCE - DROWSINESS, EXHAUSTION.

Watch yourself and others for symptoms. Uncontrollable shivering is the first sign that excessive exposure is occurring and that hypothermia is impending. It is also one of the few symptoms that the victim may recognize himself or herself. Be aware of "denial syndrome" in which the victim denies any problems (I'm OK, really!).

IF YOU CANNOT STAY WARM AND DRY

* MAKE CAMP WHILE YOU HAVE THE ENERGY.
* NEVER IGNORE SHIVERING.

If you cannot stay warm and dry under existing weather conditions, be smart enough to assess and alter your plans. Remember that you are only as strong as the weakest person in your group. Persistent or violent shivering is clear warning that you are on the verge of hypothermia. Concentrate on finding shelter from the storm and making camp.

TREATMENT FOR HYPOTHERMIA

* GET OUT OF WIND AND RAIN.
* REMOVE ALL WET CLOTHING.

IF MILDLY IMPAIRED

If only mild impairment is evident, warm drinks and dry clothes (preferably wool) and a sleeping bag will probably solve the problem. Powdered jello mix or orange drink mixed with warm water makes a good high energy emergency drink. A warming fire (if it can be built quickly in existing conditions) can help speed recovery. Alcohol will cause heat to leave the body rapidly.

IF UNCONSCIOUS

When a person's core temperature becomes low enough they will lose consciousness. This should not happen if you stop the cooling using the above warming methods. You would be more likely to find an unconscious hypothermia victim near a lake shore after a boating accident. It is recommended to take off the victim's wet clothes and put him or her in a sleeping bag. It is not advisable to try to rewarm these extreme cases in the field, as rewarming may cause cardiac failure. They need to be rewarmed under medical supervision, and it may be up to you to carry them out.

This information is provided by the National Park Service Backcountry Office.
You can write or call the backcountry office at:

Backcountry Office
PO Box 168
Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190
Phone: 307-344-2160

fiddlehead
07-11-2005, 00:13
The material for the techlights is the same as practically any other poncho you own. It isn't breathable... but honestly when you are hiking, no matter what raingear you put on you will end up sweating more, and therefore get wet underneath your raingear anyway... don't most of you only wear rain gear when it gets really bad or when you are sitting around in camp? Of all the things that you need to spend money on it just seems like a $70+ rainsuit is a waste since (especially when it is hot) you are going to want the rain to help you cool off. I figure that if I'm only going to use it while sitting around in camp, or when there is an icy/cold rain that doesn't feel good (when lack of breathability would actually warm me up)---why not get the lightest weight option and the heck with breathability? (and save 50 bucks in the meantime)
Keep in mind the AT is almost always on the tops of the mtns. It is often cold. My raingear is my warmth. Frogg Toggs breathe as well as any other raingear out there, if not better. I usually save me fleece and a dry (poly) top for camp and just add the frogg toggs when it rains.

otterman
11-01-2005, 14:52
I have owned both RedLedge and Frogg Toggs. Frogg Toggs win by a long shot.

Seeker
11-01-2005, 17:46
while we're here, any comments from anyone on DriDucks?

Cuppa Joe
11-01-2005, 18:56
Since '04 when I did 1200 on the AT and then in '05 when I did 2174 with the same set of Toggs I have no complaints or regrets. I will say this:

They are hot! YOu will sweat and get just as wet on the inside when hiking with them.

They are a great wind/cold weather jacket/pants. I did not carry any other outerwear than the Toggs

They dod wear out! After 3300 miles they wouldn't stop a drop of water if they tried but they still kept me warm. I finally had to bury them when I got back from my hike this year.. I will be getting a new set for the PCT!

I had the parka type, next one will be the zip up. That way I can wear it and keep it unzipped when I have to in order to keep from creating an internal sauna.

All the above observations are based on my experience only :)

Cuppa Joe

DMA, 2000
11-01-2005, 21:59
Thanks to all who contributed.

I bought the Toggs, went backpacking, and didn't face a drop of rain. They never made it out of the stuff sack.

Nightwalker
11-01-2005, 23:56

I bought the Toggs, went backpacking, and didn't face a drop of rain. They never made it out of the stuff sack.
And if you hadn't bought them, it would've rained constantly!

Heater
11-02-2005, 02:48

Now THAT'S what I cal rain repellent! :D

Moxie00
11-02-2005, 23:52
I am considering buying a suit. I've tended to go a bit light on rain gear in the past. On the AT, I used a poncho that also covered the pack, and that never really worked out. Since then, I've just had a pack cover and worried less about staying dry myself (most of my hiking is in southern California). But now I'm planning a trip in a wet place and think Frogg Toggs might be just the thing.

So anyway, the Pro Action looks pretty good, but maybe the Original is adequate for $14 less. Is it? Does anyone know if there's a substantial difference between the two?

Thanks
You know I hike with the old style Froggs Toggs. I've got pictures of us together and I had them on. I started my thru with goretex and sent it home and bought Froggstoggs in Vermont. I.m now on my third set and set one and two are still in great condition, it's just they are so cheap I can afford spares. Winter summer, rain or fog I stay dry and they breath better than any garment I have ever used. In winter over a fleese or in the summer over skin they work. I started a hike this weekend and it was sixty degrees in the valley. When I got near the summit it was 30 and the wind was blowing 35 mph and all I had was my tshirt and my Froggstoggs in my day pack. That was al I needed as they stopped the cold wind in it's tracks. A hint, call the Froggs toggs toll free number in Alabama and ask about discontinued colors and styles on sale. I paid abiut half price for a set and it doesn't bother me a bit to hike in orange pants and a white top, best deal that week. They are the best thing to happen to backpacking since the pull tab beer can.:clap

Newb
11-03-2005, 09:22
I threw on my frogg toggs in the rain here in Virginia but almost immediately got overheated. So, I took off the top and used it as a pack cover and just let myself get wet. They are also good for stuffing into my pillow case to rest my head on. Finally, I put them under my legs for insulation because I only have a Thermarest 3/4 length and some times my tootsies get chilled.

jimmyjob
11-03-2005, 10:54

Thanks

toggs can get hot during warmer times of year...i have used them for years fishing on the chesapeake bay....and have recently started using them on the trail....i must say, they are great...and well worth the $70....

justusryans
11-03-2005, 19:44
What do ya think? Frogg Toggs or Marmot Precip??

Nightwalker
11-05-2005, 13:58
You get the FTs top and bottom for less than the precip jacket.

justusryans
11-05-2005, 20:20
yea, but I've heard horror stories about how easy it is to shread Frogg Toggs. Any truth to the rumors?

Peaks
11-05-2005, 20:38

Marmot Precip is more durable than Frogg Toggs, so it all depends on how much or how long you plan to hang on to them.

In my own case, I use the Precip jacket, and during the summer, Frogg Togg bottoms are the only long pants that I take backpacking.

Uncle Silly
11-05-2005, 21:11
yea, but I've heard horror stories about how easy it is to shread Frogg Toggs. Any truth to the rumors?

eh... they certainly seem flimsy, and i suspect they'll wear through eventually, but i've had no problems with basic wear and tear. except for catching a stray ember from a campfire -- i got a hole the size of a cigarette burn and it was easily patched (duck tape to the rescue).

justusryans
11-05-2005, 21:23
Reason I ask is I have a chance to pick up a Marmot Precip for $30.00

Nightwalker
11-06-2005, 00:11
Reason I ask is I have a chance to pick up a Marmot Precip for $30.00
I would take that offer. The precip jacket is so much cooler looking.

:D

Peaks
11-06-2005, 08:44

I don't know about shredding, but they are certainly not designed for off trail use. I wore mine just once bagging a trail less peak and every time they got caught on a branch, they tore.

Newb
11-06-2005, 11:36
So what is the bottom line? IS or IS NOT The Marmot water proof? Is it good int he winter? If I did a March start what loadout should I take?

Peaks
11-06-2005, 17:49
So what is the bottom line? IS or IS NOT The Marmot water proof? Is it good int he winter? If I did a March start what loadout should I take?

Yes, Marmot Precip is waterproof, and durable. I sometimes wear mine in cold weather. And, Frogg Toggs are good also, just not a durable.

Both will do the job. The choice is yours, not ours.