PDA

View Full Version : NOBO to Fontana or SOBO to the NOC?

GSLeader_in_NC
04-12-2013, 10:12
Just getting feedback and soliciting advice from people who have done this section...

If you had to do it again, which way would you go and why? From NOC to Fontana or Fontana to NOC? I'm planning on doing this section in the next few weeks... I know that both ways will be tough, but Jacob's Ladder and the climb out of NOC look brutal ... I'm thinking it might be better to go DOWN them... Hmmm...

yellowsirocco
04-12-2013, 10:30
I have only done it NOBO. The climb out of NOC and out of Stecoah Gap (is this Jacob's Ladder?) are not that bad if you just take your time. The part of this section that annoys me is the PUDS on the Fontana end.

redseal
04-12-2013, 12:12
I have done it SOBO. 1 day from Fontana to Cove Spring (I think that is the name). There is a spot for a few tents just being the ascent up to Stecoah. Then 1 day into the NOC. It was a great 2 days to finish up a 2 week trip.

illabelle
04-12-2013, 12:15
Just getting feedback and soliciting advice from people who have done this section...

If you had to do it again, which way would you go and why? From NOC to Fontana or Fontana to NOC? I'm planning on doing this section in the next few weeks... I know that both ways will be tough, but Jacob's Ladder and the climb out of NOC look brutal ... I'm thinking it might be better to go DOWN them... Hmmm...

We did this section SOBO last November. Our shuttler said we would be real glad when we saw that we'd escaped two of the most difficult climbs in the south. We were! Going down into NOC was steep I guess, but I don't remember it real well. I remember the descent of Jacob's Ladder very well. We were so so SO glad to be going down, and even that wasn't easy. Being November, there was a lot of fresh leaf litter on the trail, making it hard to see where there might be a root or a rock to improve our footing. We used every tree would could find to hang on to. We slid a lot - we had no choice. Our toes got rather warm. Bushels of leaves accumulated in front of our feet, and helped a little by increasing our friction. I can't imagine how anybody could get up or down that piece safely if it was slick with mud, frost, ice, or snow.

We met a group going NOBO just after, and told them about it. A couple of them had no trekking poles. I hope they found a good stick to use. That climb had to be brutal! :eek: Yes, yes, I know some of you White-Blazers are incredibly tough and you thought it was no big deal. You love hills! Whatever!! For "ordinary" mortals like us, that was very steep. If I had to do this piece NOBO, I would bring a grappling hook or whatever it's called, fling it up the hill (if I could!) and use it to haul myself up. Come to think of it, if I'm going to go to that much trouble, I might as well bring a winch. :p

SOBO_Pace
04-12-2013, 15:45
I've done it both ways. Neither are that bad. Sobo is probably easier and you may be able to dodge some of the crowd if that is important to you.

daddytwosticks
04-12-2013, 15:46
SOBO. End at the NOC with hot shower, great food, and great beer. While eating, entertain yourselves by watching the kayakers/rafters from the restaurant. :)

Labojo
04-12-2013, 17:19
I'm doing this section in may and will be going sobo so that I can enjoy noc.

MuddyWaters
04-12-2013, 21:59
I never met a climb I didnt like.

If you want to avoid what the trail offers, might as well stay home.

MuddyWaters
04-12-2013, 22:00
duplicate post