PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Thru-Hike Registry

Pages : [1] 2 3

mountain squid
04-12-2013, 11:30
I know that there is another thread started. However, some data that I like to have without guessing is missing from it. Between this thread and that one I will begin compiling the spreadsheet.

Trail Name
Direction
Estimated Start Date
Approach Trail - yes or no
any additional info that you want the world to know

If anything changes, please update via a reply to this thread or send me a PM.

After you have completed your hike, don't forget to report back in with completion dates and how far you hiked!

Good Luck and Have Fun everyone! You have a year to get those pack weights down . . . . (and I hope you do!).

See you on the trail (next year),
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)
some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail))

Autummyst
04-14-2013, 15:11
Trail Name: None, will let it happen on the trail
Direction: Nobo
Estimated Start Date: Feb 17th, 2014
Approach Trail: yes
any additional info that you want the world to know: My boyfriend and I are hiking the Appalachian Trail and continuing afterwards to the International Appalachian Trail through Canada (which is why we are leaving earlier). We plan on being out for about 8-9 months or so, planning to miss the peak of winter, but preparing for winter hiking/camping as well.

We have a blog and facebook page:

fb: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Trail-Mix-and-Dirty-Underwear/136812963127754

wordpress: http://hike2014.wordpress.com/

fertilizer
04-15-2013, 09:05
I need to go ahead and commit!

Trail Name-Don't have one yet
Direction-NOBO
Estimated Start Date Late March
Approach Trail - yes-I've hiked it before and I liked it very much
any additional info that you want the world to know- I hiked from Newfound Gap to Davenport gap in March and almost kept on going North. I've been thinking about this since 2006 and now its time to go!

TwoSpirits
04-15-2013, 10:17
Trail Name: Don't have one yet
Direction: SOBO
Estimated Start Date: First week of June 2014
Approach Trail: No
any additional info that you want the world to know: I'm excited and a little scared at the same time. This is a great adventure; I am looking forward to learning as much as I can, and hoping to be able to give back as well.

virginia jen
04-15-2013, 19:34
Trail Name: None Yet
Start Date: early June, planning on the 6th
Approach Trail: prob not, but maybe I'll want to keep walking
Other: glad I've found away to make this a reality (i know, not yet,but soon) instead of my "if i ever win the lottery"dream

Tenny
04-16-2013, 18:01
Trail Name: None, just Val for now
Direction: NOBO
Estimated Start Date: Very early March (Maybe 3/5?)
Approach Trail: Yes
Additional info: I'm taking a gap year (before college) to hike the AT. I'm so excited; I've been looking forward to this for the past few years!

Emik34
04-16-2013, 20:39
Trail Name: Nothing yet, we'll see.
Estimated Start Date: Feb 17th, 2014
Approach Trail: yup
any additional info that you want the world to know: My girlfriend and I will be hiking the Appalachian Trail and continuing afterwards to the International Appalachian Trail through Canada (which is why we are leaving earlier). We'll probably be out for about 8 or 9 months or so, missing the peak of the freezing season. It'll still be cold though, so we're preparing for that.

We have a blog and facebook page:

fb: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Trail...36812963127754 (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Trail-Mix-and-Dirty-Underwear/136812963127754)

wordpress: http://hike2014.wordpress.com/

Ulysses2014
04-17-2013, 13:17
Trail name: Ulysses
Estimated Start Date: March 5th, 2014
Any Additional Info: Will be hiking with my fiancee; we can't wait!!

paistes5
04-20-2013, 08:47
Trail Name: None
Start Date: March 11
Any Additional Info: My brother and I will be hiking the trail together.

Dahoyt
04-20-2013, 12:35
Trail Name: Dahoyt
Start Date: March 15th
Approach Trail: Why not
Any additional Info: Tried starting up in my homestate of Vermont in March hiking SOBO with the idea of a Flip Flop, tall order I know, but it was worse then my winter camping experience would allow me to go. I plan on starting in Springer. Better idea.

Plyswithrocks
04-22-2013, 17:37
Trail Name: Mourning Jacket
Start Date: ASAP late may/early june
Approach trail: yes
Additional: my buddy is going to leave me in Maine and I'm going to walk home. Simple.

Marlow
04-22-2013, 22:47
Trail Name: Marlow
Start Date: Shooting for March 16
Additional: hiking the trail to celebrate the 10th anniversary of my bone marrow transplant and my 40th birthday.

zzzzzz1002003
04-23-2013, 18:31
ill discover my trail name.
NOBO till harpers
first week in april or late march
approach trail??? dident even know about it. so maby/maby not
my wife and i will be hikeing this for are 1 year anniversary. in may.

Kelseyem
04-29-2013, 01:59
Trail Name: None, yet
Start Date: First week of June
Approach Trail: not sure
Additional Info: Hiking the trail because I know right after I graduate from college next year I'll have no idea what else to do with my life.

ted_4
04-29-2013, 21:31
Trail Name: I'll let it find me
Start Date: March 5
Approach Trail: not sure, but probably

AppStateCase
04-30-2013, 09:33
Trail Name: Not yet, I'll wait until I get us lost first.
Direction: NoBo
Start Date: Early April
Approach Trail: I did it in '10 when my sis thru hiked so probably not this time.
Additional Info: I will be hiking with my "by then" wife and we wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Carol A.
04-30-2013, 20:37
Trail Name: Just Carol A. - No trail name yet.
Start Date: Early March if weather is O.K. or March 30th.

Uff Da
05-01-2013, 08:54
Trail Name: Uff Da
Start Date: 2nd week of February

I will be hiking with my miniature schnauzer Herb

Jonas
05-02-2013, 07:57
Trail Name: None yet
Start Date: Early March - Mid March
Approach Trail: Probably yes.

Coming from Hamburg, Germany. Dont have that much of hiking experience but Im quite in a good physically and mentally shape. Also I'm good at improvising and tinkering which sure will come in handy ;)

icdaywee
05-03-2013, 11:41
Trail Name - No trail name yet although my friends do call me Genghis
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - Not sure yet. Going to plan on the Appalachian Trail Kickoff for now but I sleep cold so maybe a later date would be the smarter plan.
Approach Trail - Yes
I am tired of sitting in front of the computer typing(slaving) away all day every day, so looking to get out. If everything goes to plan I will be doing a semi RTW trip right before the hike!

Sisu'14
05-04-2013, 17:56
Trail Name: Sisu
Direction: NOBO with possible flip flop after Harper's Ferry
Estimated Start Date: Feb. 15 - Feb. 28 depending on weather. Clean start on a clear day. No precip. in forecast for day 1. Also need to see how far Georgia Tech Women's Basketball gets in the NCAA tournament. If they're going, no start until they lose.
Retiring and need a life transition. blog: http;//jfetig.com

Edro
05-05-2013, 09:44
Trail Name: Edro
Estimated Start Date: Mid to Late March
Approach Trail Probably not. Already Hiked it before.
I'll be 61 in July and looking forward to my 62nd somewhere along the trail in 2014. See ya there!

jac115
05-05-2013, 12:07
A friend and I are planning a NOBO Thru-Hike starting in late Mar 2014, weather permitting. We live in Grenada, MS and are old-timers. I will turn 71 on the trail in 2014 and Chet will be 66. If weather anything like this year, will move to early April. Planning on starting at Springer Mt if we can find it. No trail name, will take what's given.

fletch
05-05-2013, 20:50
Trail Name: Right here
Direction: North
Start Date:15 March (full moon)
Time to quit thinking about it. Will be 62 when starting...hopefully still walking northward when I turn 63 in July 2014

Glenn Gordon
05-06-2013, 20:33
Trail name: None - hopefully will be given one and not one from me doing something stupid
ESD: Late March, April 1 at the lastest (would that make me an April fool?)
Approach Trail - Undecided
Hitting 49 next year - son is off to college this year - better time than any. Why wait?

Green Bean
05-06-2013, 22:27
Trail Name: None
Estimated Start Date: February
Approach Trail - Yes

Sara
05-07-2013, 17:53
Estimated Start Date: April 12
Any additional info: http://www.trailjournals.com/Sara

I was originally going to hike 50% but I am doing the full 100%!
Got my leave of absence approval today. :banana

Darwin13
05-08-2013, 15:07
Trail Name - Darwin
Nobo
Mid/Late March
Approach Trail - YES

Want to have adventures.

Stir Fry
05-08-2013, 18:41
Trail Name: Stir Fry
Estimated Start Date: March 29
Approach Trail I have done it, but do plane to hike and stay at Len Foot night before. First day on the AT will be the 30th.
I'll be retiring on March 1st. I'm not sure which I'm more excited about, Retiring or Hiking. Guess I'm a little scared about both.

Coosa
05-09-2013, 17:07
Take me off the list. I'm hiking a section of the AT right now and realize that my short legs, knees, and unstable balance are a face-plant away from physical rehab/therapy - if I'm fortunate.

(Rocks past Pogo campsite & Rock Field past High Rocks - in MD - fell once & nearly fell or face planted so many times I quit counting.)

So, I am going to hike what I can and camp where I can at least see Katahdin.

This is true >> Proverbs 19:21 Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails. << for me.

I hope to hike a section SoBo from MD next year ... Starting the first week of May ... See some of you on the Trail!

Hiking in memory of my Dad
http://chasingthetrail.blogspot.com

Coosa
PS don't feel sorry for me or give me the Zach Davis pep talk ... I've talked to a Section Hiker finishing up her last 100+ miles & she gave sage advice ... I'm hiking my own hike ... Even if I never hike Sages Ravine or the Kinsmans or up from Crawford Notch or mile 3 & 4 up to Katahdin! I hope to make reservations at Katahdin Stream Campground next year!

fireemt
05-10-2013, 08:33
Trail Name - Ice-Fire
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - Mid-March 2014.
Approach Trail - Yes
I will be retiring next year. I always wanted to do this, Good time

kythruhiker
05-10-2013, 16:08
Trail Name: The hiker formerly known as Ky Thru...time for a new moniker, open to all suggestions and abuse.
Direction: In general, North, perhaps some East and West with the occasional South thrown in for good measure.
Estimated Start Date: March 15th
Approach Trail: Most likely not, but possibly
Any additional info: Hope to start with good buddy wudhipy and possibly another friend, plan on hiking together until one of us leave the other(s) in a haze of dust/mud/methane.

kentucky android
05-13-2013, 03:48
Ky Android
NOBO
Estimated start date mid April
No Aporoach-Too many stairs lol
Started my 2013 thru hike in mid march and was forced off the trail only a little over 100 miles later with family issues. Maybe this year! Wish me luck!

Fakin the Funk
05-13-2013, 10:24
Trail Name - Heavily armed sleeper, approach yes, sobo, june 15

TwoSpirits
05-13-2013, 17:09
Take me off the list. I'm hiking a section of the AT right now and realize that my short legs, knees, and unstable balance are a face-plant away from physical rehab/therapy - if I'm fortunate.

(Rocks past Pogo campsite & Rock Field past High Rocks - in MD - fell once & nearly fell or face planted so many times I quit counting.)

So, I am going to hike what I can and camp where I can at least see Katahdin.

This is true >> Proverbs 19:21 Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails. << for me.

I hope to hike a section SoBo from MD next year ... Starting the first week of May ... See some of you on the Trail!

Hiking in memory of my Dad
http://chasingthetrail.blogspot.com

Coosa
PS don't feel sorry for me or give me the Zach Davis pep talk ... I've talked to a Section Hiker finishing up her last 100+ miles & she gave sage advice ... I'm hiking my own hike ... Even if I never hike Sages Ravine or the Kinsmans or up from Crawford Notch or mile 3 & 4 up to Katahdin! I hope to make reservations at Katahdin Stream Campground next year!

Sorry to hear it, Coosa. But you are right -- you hike the hike that is right for you. Hope to see you somewhere on the trail next year!
Happy hiking!

cmns
05-13-2013, 17:26
Trail Name: We'll see what comes up on the trail...
Est. Start Date: Early June, 2014
Approach Trail: We shall see

Graduating from college in May 2014; trying to get a little brain break and do something exciting!

Cornish_Will
05-14-2013, 04:22
Trail Name: nothing yet
Estimated Start Date: Between the 1st and 15th March?
Approach Trail: Yep

Just finished university and am now saving like crazy; flights and visa on top of the general costs is a pain but it's so gonna be worth it! Occupying my spare time with lots of training, planning, and reading/ watching of AT journals. Best of luck to everyone with their preperations, very much looking forward to meeting a lot of you next year.
Will.

anneelizabeth
05-17-2013, 22:07
Trail Name: Shivers
Start Date: Mid-March

I started hiking sections last year, but I'm ready for the immersion that a thru-hike allows. Planning on starting solo. I live near Hot Springs, NC, so if anyone is in the area (or would like to make a trip) and wants to hike this summer/fall/winter, contact me.

MtnRider1981
05-19-2013, 06:39
Trail Name: don't have one yet.
Direction NOBO
Estimated Start Date Middle March
Approach Trail - yea, why not?

I have been thinking about the Appalachian Trail since 2009. I almost quit college to thru in 2010, but decided to finish instead. I'll graduate in December, and then ask the mountains to tell me who I am.

dandandan
05-19-2013, 08:27
Trail Name: Tommy Lee Jones
Start Date: March 1
Approach Trail: doubt it

An ankle injury stopped my 2012 thru hike attempt 820 miles into it. coming back to start over and try it again.

SoloSonya
05-19-2013, 09:41
Trail Name- will find one on the trail
Direction- NOBO
Start Date - March 14
Approach Trail - No
I am ready to leave the world I know behind and take on an exciting adventure. I also want to prove to myself and others that I can do it!!!

jac115
05-19-2013, 22:57
I live in Grenada and a friend and I are planning a NOBO thru-hike starting late March 2014. Glad to see another hiker from MS in the 2014 Class. Is your buddy also from MS? You are the age of my son. I am 70 and friend is 65. Keep me posted on your plans. jac

Double Wide
05-20-2013, 12:37
Trail Name-- OddLot
Direction-- NOBO
Date-- March 11
Approach Trail-- Nope. I'll save the miles that don't count for the end. Gotta walk down from Katahdin, ya know...:D

My brother will be going with me, he has no trail name yet, but as soon as anyone sees him wearing a pair of shorts, it'll probably be 'Sparky'. We both went to ASU, and he's got a big Sparky tat on his leg.

danielle25
05-22-2013, 10:05
Trail Name: Don't have one yet :)
Estimated Start Date: Mid-late March
Approach Trail - yes i think so!

Paws
05-22-2013, 12:52
Trail Name: Paws and Gadget Girl
Estimated Start Date: April 5, 2014
I graduate next spring with my masters after going back to college as a non-traditional. I was support crew for the Class of 2007 and have been waiting for my own window. Gadget Girl is starting with me but doesn't know if she is in it for the long haul due to some home-front logistics. We'll just have to see how it all works out. 2014 is also the 10th year of my mom's passing and the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Wilderness Act - two things near and dear to my heart. Wishing you all happy trails! Peace & Love. Paws

deoult
05-22-2013, 13:28
Trail name: None yet, I'm going to let it come to me.
Estimated Start Date: May 20th
Approach Trail: Don't think so, but possibly.
I am hiking the AT with my brother after I graduate with my Bachelor's, and he with his Associate's. We live near the trail in Rockland County, NY, and have long thought about hiking it in its entirety. We decided this may be our best chance to do it, before the "real world" and jobs are a burden.

speedbump
05-22-2013, 20:06
I hope to be starting, NOBO, no date yet, hopefully Mid -March. Graduating from Grad school and need to take a break before I settle back into life. It is now, or never.
Trail name Speedbump, will be hiking as much as possible with my dog.

Approach trail is possible.
I live in the Southern New Hampshire area. Looking for others nearby who may be planning this hike too, to start a group, anyone, anyone, Beuller ?

vtgorilla
05-24-2013, 09:59
Trail Name- Beard Envy, if one is not assigned to me in the first couple weeks
Direction- NOBO
Start Date - Mid April
Approach Trail - Not if I can help it

Still trying to figure out a plan for quitting my job and storing stuff while I'm gone. It's difficult to wrap my brain around.

I've been lurking on WB for over a year. This thread finally motivated me to register!

smith120bh
05-25-2013, 16:56
Trail Name: None yet!
Estimated Start Date: Late March
Approach Trail - yes or no: Yes
any additional info that you want the world to know: I'm hiking full-length with one friend, and then picking up a third friend at the halfway point. And I can't wait!

WeatherGuy
05-25-2013, 19:57
Trail Name: WeatherGuy
Estimated Starting Dates: 14 Apr and 24 Jun
Approach Trail: Who knows
Additional Information: Plan to start SOBO at Erwin TN (14 Apr) and continue to Springer--use as a shakedown hike. Then head to Maine in late June and head SOBO again. If I get to Duncannon I'll have hiked the entire AT. If I get back to Erwin I'll have completed the AT in one year. If I get back to Springer it'll be a thru-hike.

jabberwockyjake
05-27-2013, 23:01
DirectionL NOBO
Estimated Start Date: Planning to be around for ATKO (March 7-9) and begin either the 9th or 10th
I'm new to backpacking and long distance hiking, looking forward to meeting everyone on the trail!

Sondheim
05-29-2013, 11:05
Estimated Start Date: Somewhere between March 14th and 24th
Approach Trail: Hopefully no
I go to Dartmouth College, and am taking spring and summer terms off to fulfill a 2000 mile childhood dream. Early start date because I need to be back in September for my senior year. I am also a writer, and am hoping to get something out of this; beyond that, I have little idea of what I'm doing but am looking forward to learning on the trail!

Pantry
05-29-2013, 12:45
Trail Name: Pantry
Estimated Start Date: Late March/Early April
Approach Trail: Probably yeah

Graduating in December. Pretty experienced backpacker, but I've never done anything this big before, and I'm as excited as a pack of puppies.

HikingATVs
06-04-2013, 09:35
We are two vegans hiking together to raise awareness about animal cruelty and extending trail ethics and Leave No Trace beyond the trail! We have a blog at http://hikingatvs.wordpress.com. Please check us out and follow along. We look forward to meeting everyone next year!

Trail Names: Not totally sure... working with Chickpea and Wordplay at the moment
Direction: NOBO!
Estimated Start Date: March 14
Approach Trail - more than likely

ams212001
06-04-2013, 11:05
No trail name yet
NOBO
Estimated: April 2014
Approach: Yes
I have a good job, very little bills, and a chance to do a thru hike with ample family support. I am young and capable and I can't let this opportunity pass by.

rickyb72087
06-05-2013, 20:26
Trail Name: not sure yet
Estimated Start Date early april or may
Approach Trail - yes

Currently doing this alone, im sure i will meet alot of cool people, but hopeing to find a friend to do it with. I just got out of the Navy and figure this is a good start to my life before college! :)

Outdoorsman88
06-06-2013, 09:47
Direction: NOBO fo sho
Estimated Start Date: mid-March
Approach Trail: Sure, why not?!
I have a lot of things floating through my head that I feel a good 2,000+ miles could help straighten out. Have a very flexible job I could leave at any time, money to do it, and am not getting any younger! It's time for a grand adventure...

Tri-Pod Bob
06-08-2013, 01:57
Trail Name: Will see what comes on the trail Direction: SOBO Est. Start Date: 1st week of June Approach Trail: Gotta climb Mt. K to start!

Double Wide
06-08-2013, 11:45
Anybody else starting on Tuesday March 11th? From Springer? (We're not doing the approach trail)

Scud
06-08-2013, 17:06
Trail Name: None yet, I'm thinkin' I've got a little bit of time to come up with one.
Estimated Start Date: Early April. I work at a ski resort so all depends on the snow.
Approach Trail: Meh.

Hopin' to drag another person along with me, but if it's solo, than it's solo. Can't wait to meet all you crazies out there.

norts
06-08-2013, 19:41
Trail Name: Dont use them in Tasmania, so I will see what happens
ESD : Late March- actual date will depend on the cheapest time to fly from Aust to US
Approach: probably

trinzushi
06-11-2013, 11:52
Trail Name: I will let the trail name me. :)
Estimated start date: Around second week of March. Could be earlier or later depending on weather.
Approach Trail: Not the entire approach trail, but I will still go see Amicolola falls.
Additional Info: I'm looking to do something I would NEVER have done or thought of before. My boyfriend may be starting with me. I am showing up with no other expectation than an adventure. Excited to meet you all on the trail!

Choctaw
06-11-2013, 17:07
Trail Name: Choctaw
ESD: Late March Or The 1st Of April
Approach Trail: Maybe
Additional Info: My wife and I hope to see everyone..We are very exited..And Good Luck Too All...

chickawa
06-11-2013, 17:18
Trail Name: Chickawa
ESD: Late March or the 1st of April
Approach Trail: Maybe
Additional Info: My husband and I are very exited and hope too meet you on the trail..

dtougas
06-18-2013, 21:55
Trail Name: Not sure, maybe "Toe Salad"

Estimated Start Date: Around April 1
Approach Trail: Not sure
Additional Info: I am going to be attempting this with my wife and three kids (ages 10 - 14). My wife and I are both bloggers, so we are planning on blogging/video-blogging this as a family thru-hiking project. I am also a big minimalist footwear proponent, so we will all be doing this in some form of minimalist shoes (yet to be determined).

Eric44
06-19-2013, 17:42
Estimated Start Date: March 15ish
Additional Info: I will be solo hiking for the first time, and look forward to meeting everyone on the trail! Cheers!

Ileah7
06-20-2013, 00:45
Trail Name- None Yet
Direction- Flip Flop Starting in CT going North then returning to CT and heading South
Estimated Start Date- May 12
Approach Trail- We might be hiking to Amicalola
I will be hiking with my fiance and if all goes well, we will get married in Georgia shortly after Springer!

Drybones
06-20-2013, 08:33
I like to brouse thru this tread and look at the ages, someone asked in a previous thread what the average age was, someone answered 40, half are are 20 and half are 60, not far from factual.

mudbrick
06-21-2013, 02:25
Trail Name- Mudbrick
Direction- NOBO
Estimated Start Date- 1st week of April
Approach Trail- maybe
Hiking with "me,myself, I" but no doubt this will change
Have been considering doing the AT since I read an article in Nat Geo (1986?) Had planned to start last year and again this year, but work got in the wayhttp://www.trailplace.com/forums/images/smilies/mad.gif. So when I finish here in India (Nov) its time to get things togetherhttp://www.trailplace.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

mbrowers
06-21-2013, 03:13
Trail Name: Mike
Start Date: About April 8th
Approach: Yes
Had planned to hike with my son but the US Air Force has other plans for him now, so starting solo. Really looking forward to it.

Carolyn29
06-22-2013, 14:39
Trail name: TBD
Estimated start date: mid-march
Approach trail: probably
Additional info: 23 year old from Maine looking to delay real life a little longer! Can't wait to hang out in the woods for a few months!

hoffhiker
06-22-2013, 19:26
trail name: the trail will name me
direction: nobo
start date: around the 1st week of march
approach trail: yes
I am doing this to prove to myself and those around me that I can accomplish anything, and to re-find myself; also in honer of my grandfather who once told me if I want to truly want to find myself and grow closer to God than ever before. If anyone has any advice or tips to complete a thrue-hike and enjoy it pm me. this is my first time on a long distance hike. thanks to all and good luck

trw0007
06-22-2013, 23:33
Start date: Around the second week of March, maybe a little later
Approach trail: Not sure yet.
Additional info: Growing up, the AT has always been, "something I could do when I get older." I graduate in December, and it seems like the best time to do this.

divemedic72
06-23-2013, 00:32
Trail Name: Just Try
Estimated Start Date: March 1

youngandrestless
06-23-2013, 02:47
Trail Name: waiting til I hit the trail
Direction: northbound
Estimated Start Date: Mid-March, I'm hoping to avoid lingering winter weather
Approach Trail - yes
Additional info: I was originally shooting to do a section hike because I thought I was getting laid off in August, but that got pushed back to December, so I'm going to start with the crowd! I'm trying to see the job loss as a life opportunity :)

Question
06-25-2013, 09:55
Trail Name: Right now I'm leaning towards letting myself be named while on the trail.
Start: Anywhere from mid-March to early April, depending on the weather.
Approach Trail: Eh...it's not exactly appealing, but I'm also something of a purist. We shall see.
Additional Info: I've been interested in hiking the AT since I was a kid, but recently I decided to quit associating it with some vague notion of "later". I'm terrified of waking up one day fifty years down the road and realizing that I haven't actually done anything of substance. So, I've decided to take a break from school and hit the trail.

hikerboy57
06-25-2013, 10:01
well iguess i should register
trail name hikerboy
direction nobo
start mid march
approach trail no
additional info -see the cafe

IrishEamonn
07-01-2013, 13:36
Trail Name - None. My name is very uncommon so I have never needed one. My name is Eamonn (It's Irish)
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - Second week of March 2014
Approach Trail - Undecided

First timer on an extended hike like this. Would prefer a trail buddy or a group to travel with but am solo at the moment. From Michigan. Tired of living in the city and staring at all this litter and pavement. Tired of hearing cars drive by. Tired of my Apt complex. Time to get some nature into my life for a good period of time. Easy going and love to learn from and share knowledge with others.

Rea
07-02-2013, 06:43
Trail Name- none
Direction- NOBO
Estimated start date- March 8th, 2014
Approach Trail- undecided

keystone_alex
07-02-2013, 08:25
Trail Name - None yet
Direction - SOBO
Estimated Start Date - Sometime between May 26 and June 1
Approach Trail - Might as well, will have come that far
Additional info - Graduating college in May and this just seems like the right time to go on this adventure that I've always wanted to do.

neonmeat
07-02-2013, 12:16
Trail Name: Neon Meat
Estimated Start Date: May 12

Just got back from a section hike (Garrison NY - Pittsfield MA) which helped me sort out what will and will not work for a thru-hike. Planning to get a late start next May with an ultra-light load.

Stormcrow
07-04-2013, 09:49
Trail Name: Barticus
Estimated Start Date: Mid-March

Can not wait!

Eniwuts
07-06-2013, 09:10
Trail Name: Don't have one yet. Friends call me Stew Beef.
Estimated Start Date: Mid-March
Approach Trail:Yes

Been wanting to do this for years! Finally done with my Master's degree and ready to experience some long-distance trail!

Sisu'14
07-06-2013, 13:31
Anyone in the D.C. - Maryland - Northern Virginia hiking in '14 interested in some practice hiking? Contact Sisu at [email protected]

kneedles
07-07-2013, 13:24
Trail Name - JustMe
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - April 6
Approach Trail - No

SouthernPride
07-08-2013, 03:59
Trail Name - none yet
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - May 5 - section hiker Springer to Hot Springs, then 2 more 30 days sections throughout 2013 and 3 30 days sections each year until finished
Approach Trail - prolly

Kdoiron
07-08-2013, 16:55
Trail Name - It'll Find me
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - May 15th Thru Hike
Approach Trail - probably

Lifelong hiker, the appalachian trail has always been at the top of my bucket list. For a week straight i could not stop talking about the trail and then out of nowhere an old hiking friend from the past contacted me asking if i wanted to join them on the trail. though a week before i would never have said yes expect for...

In the last month I've gone through a very messy divorce to my wife of three years. I gave up a lot of my outdoor hobbies and dreams when we found out she had chronic adult asthma and became a shell of my former self. After finding out shed been unfaithful she cleaned me out and now has continued to harass me, and to make things worse she and i work within the same place of employment.

The trail offers both redemption and freedom for me, if only i had the funds saved id leave tomorrow. This life of money, sex, power, and materialism has very little appeal to me now. I need not only an escape but a means to completely redefine myself.

spanky4x4
07-08-2013, 19:49
Trail Name - Spanky....its been that for about 25 years
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date -Jan 2
Approach Trail .yep. already did the stairs a few years ago. this time I'll go up through the woods!

Been wanting to try this the last couple years. Had a good start in March 2012, but broke my ankle and spent most of the year recovering. Tried again this year, but my ankle wasn't quite ready yet. In 2012 I met a young man who started Jan. 1 and was near harpers ferry in mid march. sounded like a fun/different experience,so that is what changed my plan.
Plan is to get to Amicalola Dec. 31, hike the approach trail Jan. 1, then start at Springer Jan2. it will be my 42 birthday.

durk
07-10-2013, 04:03
Trail Name: I've been called a few things in my life but none I want to use as a trail name.
Est start date: first half of April
Approach: yes
Other: Retired, 57, Air Force vet. I'm old so the plan is to get UL. I'm estimating my big three is <6 pounds with total base weight of <12. Consumables will push me to ~20. Hopefully this will place me on a more level playing field with the 20 year olds carrying 40#.

Trevor Lord
07-10-2013, 22:39
Trail Name: TBD (I want to think on this)
Direction North
Estimated Start Date: April 6
Approach Trail - yes
any additional info that you want the world to know: not really as of now just announcing my intents

cusegirl
07-11-2013, 09:12
Trail Name: TBD
Estimated Start Date: March 12 (my birthday!)
Approach Trail: Undecided, probably no
Other: posting on this thread makes it official, right?! 26 y/o female hiking solo and looking to meet awesome people along the way.

Armywife
07-12-2013, 02:45
Trail Name: Nothing yet
Estimated Start Date: March 21 End date October 4 (my 40th birthday!)
Approach trail: ashamed to admit I have no clue what this means.
Other: Since I have posted this, I have to do this, right? No backing out or there will be shame all the way around?

vtgorilla
07-12-2013, 18:45
Trail Name: Nothing yet
Estimated Start Date: March 21 End date October 4 (my 40th birthday!)
Approach trail: ashamed to admit I have no clue what this means.
Other: Since I have posted this, I have to do this, right? No backing out or there will be shame all the way around?

The AT officially starts at the top of Springer Mountain so you have to get up to the start of the trail somehow. The approach trail allows you to hike up to the start from Amicalola Falls visitor center/park, passing Amicalola Falls on the way. Some people choose to bypass this by getting a ride up a nearby service road which takes you within a mile (iirc) of the AT's southern terminus.

The approach trail is a little more than 8 miles and purists argue whether 'real thru-hikers' should always hike up the trail.

There's some more information here: http://www.georgiatrails.com/gt/Southern_Terminus_Approach_Trail

Double Wide
07-13-2013, 08:18
Earlier on I said 'No Way' to the Approach Trail, too many friends and acquaintances have said it's not worth the effort and it doesn't count. Part of me wants to use that as a reason, or maybe even an excuse, to skip it. I think the real reason is that I'm afraid it'd be hard for somebody not in 'trail shape' yet. So I've been working on my fitness level, and I'm thinking that I *might* end up doing the approach.

Another reason is that while I can easily get a free ride to Amicalola Falls (my dad lives in N. Georgia), the shuttle from there to Big Stamp Gap (FS 42, .9 mile from the summit of Springer) cost me $60 when I did a section hike in May. Also, I'm thinking of going to the ATKO event at Amicalola, since it's the weekend before my planned departure date, and if I'm already there at the falls, I might as well just walk...

Just thinking out loud, that's all.

Cyngbaeld
07-13-2013, 16:26
Trail Name: Cyngbaeld (King Bold)
Estimated Start Date: March ?
Approach Trail:Probably not
Other: Really looking forward to pushing my envelope.

SCFoxtrot
07-13-2013, 17:00
Trail Name: Don't have one, I'll let it find me.
Estimated Start Date: Probably mid-March
Other: Always wanted to see Maine, so I'll walk to it.

WeShallSee
07-16-2013, 09:12
Trail Name: We Shall See Direction: Southbound flip flop; start at Harper's Ferry, sobo to Springer; go up to Maine and sobo to Harper's Ferry. Start Date April 17, 2014 Approach: maybe to see the Falls on the way out I have checked the whole list: where are all the folks from the great plains? I've seen two from ND only.

WeShallSee
07-16-2013, 09:21
Trail Name: We Shall See Direction: Southbound flip flop; start at Harper's Ferry, sobo to Springer; go up to Maine and sobo to Harper's Ferry. Start Date April 17, 2014 Approach: maybe to see the Falls on the way out I have checked the whole list: where are all the folks from the great plains? I've seen two from ND only.

I forgot to mention: I have a journal at www.trailjournals.com/weshallsee/ (http://www.trailjournals.com/weshallsee/).

Gluefoot
07-18-2013, 21:53
Trail Name: Gluefoot
Estimated Start Date: March 1st
Approach Trail - yes
Info: Packed a lot of gear in ARMY for 11 years, drove semi rigs almost 3 million miles. I have seen a lot of beautiful places. Now is the time to take the long hike and enjoy on my own and natures terms.
I will be posting gear selections, photo's and more on FaceBookhttps://www.facebook.com/GluefootsAdventure page as it all unveils or unravels.

BigEnso
07-25-2013, 07:30
Trail Name: it'll find me when I get there
Estimated Start Date: 1st week in March, weather permitting
Approach Trail - Most likely not but things can always change
Any additional info that you want the world to know: my reward to myself for finishing is to stop in Tanzania to climb Mt Kilimanjaro on my way home to Thailand. That is the reason for the early start. I figure I'll need a couple of weeks or 4 to rest up and put a few pounds back on.

barefootqt
07-25-2013, 18:39
Trail Name: It'll find me eventually
Start Date: Mid-march, possibly early march
Additional: I will be starting out with my son, my boyfriend and another close friend. A few friends/family will meetup do some sections along the way.

Annie68
07-26-2013, 12:17
Trail Name: Not sure, maybe "Toe Salad"

Estimated Start Date: Around April 1
Approach Trail: Not sure
Additional Info: I am going to be attempting this with my wife and three kids (ages 10 - 14). My wife and I are both bloggers, so we are planning on blogging/video-blogging this as a family thru-hiking project. I am also a big minimalist footwear proponent, so we will all be doing this in some form of minimalist shoes (yet to be determined).

We are planning a 2015 thru hike with our then 10 year old and look forward to following your family's progress up the trail!

capehiker
07-26-2013, 13:32
I posted in another thread before the official one was started so I'll add my specs here:

Est. Start Date: April 17
Approach Trail: no
Trail Name: none yet- will let it unfold organically
Additional Info: I plan to have a Trailjournals account so my family and others will follow. 15 years in the making, I can't believe I'm under a year to go and the details of planning are exciting.

capehiker
07-26-2013, 13:35

I have given this route much consideration as well. I grew up a stones throw from the AT in Pennsylvania and thought about jumping on it from my backyard and ending it in my backyard. We have the same start date so maybe we'll step off together.

mccarthympma
07-28-2013, 07:53
Trail Name: Big Mac and Beast Mode...but my husband keeps changing his mind about our trailnames so who knows what they will end up being! For now, this is it!
Direction: Flip-Flop, starting in Harper's Ferry and hiking north then back to HF and hiking south....hoping this is a good plan for us.
Estimated Start Date: April 15
Approach Trail - yes or no:
any additional info that you want the world to know: We are so ready to get this show on the road! Excited, nervous and totally pumped! Also, inexperienced! Looking forward to the challenge, gorgeous vistas and the people we will meet.
The only thing I am dreading is being away from our dogs for so long but can't let that keep me from making this dream a reality!
If anyone wants to weigh in on weather starting in HF in mid-April and heading north is a good/bad idea, we would love to hear opinions/advice!

Sevsa
07-28-2013, 08:46
Trail Name Dreamtime and Noodles
Direction NOBO
Estimated Start Date Second week of April
Approach Trail - No
Any additional info that you want the world to know Second attempt at a thru hike for me. Had to leave the trail in 1998 in Southern Virginia after a family member got very sick. This time I'll be going with my wife which should be interesting after hiking solo most of my life. We're both very excited and look forward to beginning the adventure and probably meeting some of you on the trail.

WeShallSee
07-28-2013, 12:51
I have given this route much consideration as well. I grew up a stones throw from the AT in Pennsylvania and thought about jumping on it from my backyard and ending it in my backyard. We have the same start date so maybe we'll step off together.

Welcome to my world. It would be good to have a little company during my trek. Good luck and stay in touch.

trapper
07-28-2013, 20:52
trail name....freeballin
early april
nobo
no approach trail
been putting it off to long

MarathonGirl14
07-29-2013, 08:33
Trail name: none yet
Start date: February 21
Approach Trail: Probably not. I hike it a lot for training.
Any additional info that you want the world to know: Walking off grief. My first backpacking experience.

Hey-Man
07-30-2013, 08:41
Hey Man is my trail name
I'm leaving home March 2nd, will do the approach March 3rd and start the AT March 4th
Plan to celebrate my 60th b-day on the trail. I got a bachelor's and then a master's degree starting at age 52, so it's time to challenge myself physically. Some time in the woods is just what I need to balance the years I spent in front of a computer writing and researching….

roachwd
07-30-2013, 16:36
Trail Name - Trey
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - May 11, 2014 ***** (looking for someone to hike with) *****
Approach Trail - Yes
I am a 21 year old college guy wanting to get away

SandyReid
07-31-2013, 20:33
Tara Monkey
Flip-Flop beginning at Harper's Ferry NOBO
First part of April
Will hike approach trail at Springer prior to Harper's Ferry
Beginning the hike with friend; how long we continue together will be worked out on trail
Special diet (no white flour and prefer organic when possible) requires dehydrating meals and mail drop boxes. Family, friends & doctor
are supportive. Plan to blog and trail journal. Friend will use tent; hammock for me.

SandyReid
07-31-2013, 20:59
Big Mac & Beast Mode....hope to meet up with you as we will be following about the same schedule and direction. By flipping the hike I believe we will be following Spring northward and should be able to reach Katahdin by end of July. We should also avoid the thickest swarm of the biting black flies in the northeast. Coming back in July/August to Harper's SOBO will be hot but by September the cooler weather sets in then we will be following Autumn to Springer. Haven't come up with a plan on how to get to Harper's Ferry, then after Katahdin, how to get back to Harper's. Please share any ideas you might have on that aspect.

jbhh
07-31-2013, 21:39
Trail Name: Friday - got it during my sobo hike
Start Date: Thinking mid-March but it'll depend on the winter we have, if it's like 2013...more like April 1st
Approach Trail: maybe

Round two...NoBo is the right way...

SandyReid
07-31-2013, 21:59
Tara Monkey
Flip-Flop beginning at Harper's Ferry NOBO
First part of April
Will hike approach trail at Springer prior to Harper's Ferry
Beginning the hike with friend; how long we continue together will be worked out on trail
Special diet (no white flour and prefer organic when possible) requires dehydrating meals and mail drop boxes. Family, friends & doctor
are supportive. Plan to blog and trail journal. Friend will use tent; hammock for me.

BoiScout
07-31-2013, 22:16
Trail Name - None yet
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - planning on April 2nd but flexible
Approach Trail - Yup
Info - queer radical feminist + vegan solo hiker; any tips on good vegan food to eat would be much appreciated

Mosquito Bait
08-01-2013, 12:04
Trail Name: Mosquito Bait (I think)
Estimated Start Date: Early April. My daughter is getting married, so I can't start March 1st as I wanted to do.
Approach Trail - yes or no Mayyyyybe
any additional info that you want the world to know: I'm a middle-aged woman who has never done anything "big." I am out of shape and have joint problems, but I plan to spend the next 8 months preparing. I hope I will be ready!

DownByTheMountain
08-01-2013, 14:50
Trail Name: To be determined
Estimated Start Date: March 12

Me and GF will be hiking as a team. My best friend is also going to make an attempt same start date.

Can't wait to meet you all!

Chapstick
08-02-2013, 15:28
Trail Name: Chapstick
Estimated Start Date: Feb 25, 2014
Approach Trail - yes

Very excited about hiking. I've wanted to do this for some time now. Hoping to get away from all the struggles of the world and only having the struggles of mother nature.

treadslightly
08-04-2013, 12:37
Trail Name: We'll figure that out later
Estimated Start Date: Mid-March (not on a weekend)

I graduated from college in December and am completely confused in the real world and unhappy about the destruction of nature in my hometown. I'm hoping to run parts of the trail. I'm also a vegan so if anyone has advice about food or is a fellow vegan please let me know :)

WeShallSee
08-04-2013, 13:32

I look forward to meeting you. Only 8 months to go.

Poedog
08-04-2013, 19:19
Name: David and Virginia
Trail Name: in due time...
ESD: Early March
AppTrail: yes

David from Virginia, Virginia from Texas. We are living/training in Big Sur, California.

capehiker
08-04-2013, 22:01
I look forward to meeting you. Only 8 months to go.

Thanks! I keep ticking off the days on the calendar.

alexandra
08-04-2013, 22:53
Trail Name : Not sure yet
Estimated Start Date: Early March
Approach Trail - yes
any additional info that you want the world to know: My younger sister passed away about 4 months ago, this trip is important for me because we both shared a love for hiking. Life is so short, this is my chance to accomplish something I never thought I could.

Just Bill
08-04-2013, 22:53
Just Bill- drinking- Nobo

QuabbinHiker
08-06-2013, 03:28
Jan 1st, 2014 Two hikers heading NOBO.

Taking as long as we can on our second thru hike!

mountain squid
08-06-2013, 18:28
Just to let everyone know and if you haven't found it yet, the spreadsheet is up and ready for viewing. You can see it here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/cmps.php?page=2014thruhikers) or from the homepage: scroll down, left pane, WhiteBlaze thru hikers and then Class of 2014!

Let me know if I've made any mistakes or if you've updated anything.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail)&highlight=)

QuabbinHiker
08-07-2013, 00:15
Thank you for updating the info and adding us! Hopefully we will meet spanky 4x4 on trail!

gandalfwannabe
08-08-2013, 23:30
Trail Name: Waiting for the trail to give me one
Estimated Start Date: March 11th
Approach Trail: YES
any additional info that you want the world to know: I had some friends who went NOBO and made it 880 Miles this year (2013). Their Trail names are P.S. and Catnip. They inspired me to do this Through. I plan on completing a through and meeting up with them in my home state of MA on my way to Katahdin!!

williamchase88
08-09-2013, 00:12
Trail Name: Magnet, but planning on acquiring a new one for this hike
Direction: nobo
Estimated Start Date: march 13
Approach Trail: absolutely
any additional info that you want the world to know: originally planned to section hike, but after 2 sections I realized I hated having to get off the trail to go back to "the bull****". 2013 can't get here soon enough!

scs
08-09-2013, 00:31
Trail name: I'll figure that out later.
Direction: SOBO!
Estimated start date: Early July 2014
Approach trail: Considering that is 2,000+ miles away... who knows! =)

Thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail has been a dream of mine for several years, and now that I'm close to finishing college it is finally becoming a reality. Trips on the AT in Georgia and Virginia have only increased my desire to hike the trail, and the idea of going MEGA appeals to me a lot - the relative solitude, the tight-knit community, and (for this Texas native) the cooler weather. Finishing at Springer would also have special meaning, as that is the place where I first set foot on the trail with my dad and brother back when we thought three rolls of toilet paper for an overnight trip were essential (don't laugh too hard!). Can't wait to see Katahdin, crazy to think that day is less than twelve months away...

Squirrel Whisperer
08-09-2013, 11:08
Trail Name: No name yet
Estimated Start Date: March 1
Any additional info that you want the world to know: I have been planning this hike for years and finally decided to take a break from a hellish teaching position to make it a reality.

Paul the Brit
08-12-2013, 22:11
Trail Name: "Good Heart"
Start Date: Feb if the weather is workable

Why do I want to do this?:

I have worked constantly from the day I left school and never had a break of more than 2 weeks, retired from the military and started a job the day after I left Army life. I think its time I took some time away from working before I get/feel to old to complete the AT.

I figured it may be a way to loose the extra 30lbs I am carrying.

ConJPow
08-13-2013, 17:38
Estimated Start Date: Early-mid March

Graduated this past May; doing the AT while I have the opportunity to do so, while trying to figure out who I really am/who I want to be. I'm planning on hiking solo and I'm extremely looking forward to meeting some awesome people on the trail!

Opa
08-14-2013, 11:07
Hey everybody. George here from Kingston TN, close to Knoxville. Turned 50, retired, and now the wife told me I am driving here crazy. She thinks 5 months alone will do me good so here I am. Use to put 25 miles a day on my hikes when I was in my twenties and have not hiked since. Really excited to get back to it. Plan on starting a lot of TN hikes in the near future to get in shape. Will be doing the approach trail probably the first week of April. Really flexible on the date though. Hope to see many of you next year.

LongStride_42
08-14-2013, 14:47
LongStride
NOBO
Start: Mid-March
Approach trail: Yes

Coming from Malta, IL, a small little town due west of Chicago. I have wanted to hike the AT since I can remember, then the fire went out, and now it has renewed with ferocity! I have been planning, reading, and learning as much as I can to prepare for this Journey since last fall. Friends and family think I'm crazy, but are secretly envious. My only experiences hiking have been weekend hikes in the semi-local and scarce wilderness of northern Illinois, so it would be foolish of me not to a bit nervous about a 6 month trek in the primitive wild. My reason for wanting to hike the AT is all for the journey and the challenge, meet fellow adventures, and of course make life long friends.

Hey-Man
08-15-2013, 08:54
Just to let everyone know and if you haven't found it yet, the spreadsheet is up and ready for viewing. You can see it here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/cmps.php?page=2014thruhikers) or from the homepage: scroll down, left pane, WhiteBlaze thru hikers and then Class of 2014!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail)&highlight=)

Great job, Mt Squid! Thanks for all your effort and time on this!!

Crunchie
08-17-2013, 12:51
Blog Name: TimeOut Adventures
Individual Trail Names - TBA
Start Date: 28 Feb 2014
2 of us - myself and my other half

Thruhike AT is part 1 of a big adventure for us - AT, then 3 months travelling South AMerica, then thruhike Te Araroa, New Zealand starting Nov 2014

Ican
08-17-2013, 22:32
NAME- Horace Harvey
Trail name- Top 40 (maybe)
Direction- Nobo
Start date- April 1rst
Approach trail- Nope

Anyone starting around April 1rst feel free to friend me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/horace.harvey or send me a message on TJ http://www.trailjournals.com/gbookv.cfm?trailname=15563

Microstride
08-18-2013, 21:49
Trail Name: Microstride
Estimated Start Date: 3 March
Additional Info: 15 years of planning. Time to do it while I've still got knees that can handle it.

Paul the Brit
08-18-2013, 23:47
Looks like there will be a few Brits on the trail this year! I originally lived in Melton Mowbray and my son, who I hope is joining me, still lives there. Starting in Feb also we hope so will catch up along the way. :)

Sandy B
08-19-2013, 14:19
Trail Name: Sandy
Estimated Start Date: March 10
Any additional info that you want the world to know: will retire from USN after 30 years, underway Monday 10th of March. plan to hike until June, then off trail for a month, Go north and hike SOBO, hope to finish by Thanksgiving.

Hey-Man
08-20-2013, 22:07
Guess we'll meet each other somewhere on the approach trail! Looking forward to it....

michaelosborne
08-22-2013, 17:21
Trail Name: I don't have one yet.
Estimated Start Date: Most likely either February 16th or 17th
Approach Trail - yes or no: Yes!!
I can't wait to start!!!!!!!! (:

ZenMtn
08-22-2013, 19:48
Trail Name: Not yet
Estimated Start Date: Feb 1st
Approach Trail - yes
Additional Info: I have been wanting to take on the trail for a couple years. This is my last opportunity before graduate school. I love to talk and exchange knowledge. I sure hope to see you on the trail!

mcgame
08-25-2013, 17:17
Trail Name: None at this time
Estimated Start Date: March 21st, unless it is snowing
Approach Trail - yes or no: Did it last year, will probably take the short route to Springer
any additional info that you want the world to know: Want to finish before the end of August. I'm from Maine (living in GA now), have been to Katahdin, now just need to fill in the middle.

ScottTrip
08-28-2013, 08:09
Trail Name: None at this time
Estimated Start Date : March 15th
Approach Trail - No

Have wanted to hike the AT since backpacking sections while at Western Kentucky University (1979). My children are grown, and had opportunity to retire early from IBM. It is TIME....

Chicken_Scrambles
08-29-2013, 20:40
Trail Name: don't have one yet
Estimated Start Date: mid-April -- quitting my job after my 3 year anniversary there and leaving the city!
Approach Trail - sure!
Any additional info that you want the world to know: first timer! hiking with my cousin -- bussing down to GA then walking home to MA/VT with a pitstop at Bonnaroo in the middle ;)

Valley Girl
08-30-2013, 19:02
Trail Name: Valley Girl, like omg!
Estimated Start Date: Feb or March, 2014
Any Additional Info: Hiking with my chocolate lab, Jake. I am excited about fulfilling this dream. I am also nervous about injuries, kennels, transportation and resupplying in town with a dog in tow. Any advice from thru hikers with dogs would be so appreciated.

evansprater
09-01-2013, 16:28
Trail Name - Late Bloomer (from last time, but open to letting a new one happen)
Direction - Northbound
Estimated Start Date - Between March 20th and April 1st (depends on how severe the winter is)
Approach Trail - No
Any additional info that you want the world to know: I hike 309.9 miles last fall from Springer to NC 212 road crossing. In that time I discovered that 1) I love hammocks, 2) I hate cold, 3) I'm a very social hiker (as much as I hate people working two customer service jobs, people who hike are actually intelligent/interesting), and 4) I'm probably going to be hiking in Vibrams because I have collapsed arches (which collapsed during my foray last fall and resulted in me getting orthotics, which I hate) and they're supposedly good for people in my situation. We'll see.

fernweh
09-02-2013, 10:59
Estimated Start Date: Quite late, not till May
Approach Trail: undecided yet
Graduating college in May and wanted to do this before I changed my mind or got bogged down in real world jobs that I couldn't get away from! :)

Illinois
09-02-2013, 13:27
Trail Name - I've been called Illinois
Direction - NoBo
Start Date - Early/Mid-March
Approach Trail - Yup
Looking forward to next spring. Lots to do, lots to plan, lots of practice. Taking it one step at a time. Can't wait to step under that arch and meet all you'ns!

Green Bean
09-02-2013, 14:16
I posted earlier...but....what i have to say is.....I'm pretty much 1 million percent doing this, road blocks come, and they get handled--a dream is hard to live.. lesss go!!!!

Trail Name: None (Earlier) Now: Green Bean
Direction: NOBO (Earlier) Now: Flip Flop
Estimated Start Date: February (Earlier) Now: ? 2014
Approach Trail - Yes (Earlier) Now: Yes

HardlyAble
09-03-2013, 09:51
Trail Name
Direction
Estimated Start Date
any additional info that you want the world to know

Trail Name HardlyAble
Direction NOBO
Estimated Start Date Late April
Approach Trail - NO

Will be 64 and newly retired if all goes well. Thinking of NOBO to Harpers Ferry, riding to Maine and SOBO back to Harpers Ferry. Classic Flip-Flop.

Noxial
09-04-2013, 12:15
Direction: NOBO form Erwin or Damascus, then flip back and SOBO to Springer.
Estimated Start Date: May 4th
Approach Trail: Of course!

The AT has been on my bucketlist since I was a little kid and I figure there's no better time to check it off than immediately after graduation! I'm in no rush to get intor the real world...and I can't thing of any better way to push it off than to get lost in the woods for half a year! Can't believe it's only around the corner, see ya on the trail!

JessetheViking
09-06-2013, 13:18
Trail Name: The Viking
Direction: North
Estimated Start Date: March 14th 2014
Approach Trail - yes
any additional info that you want the world to know:

I am 32 years old and quitting my job and leaving my wife and kids home while i attempt a thru hike of the AT. I am ready for this once in a lifetime attempt of a thru hike and to start living more simply. I have complete support of my wife and she will be bringing the kids for sporadic visits along the way. Being away from them will be the hardest part of my hike. See you out there!

BigD
09-08-2013, 18:32
Estimated Start Date: March 22-24
Approach Trail - no

Been wanting to do this for many year and it seems the stars are aligned in such a way to make it happen. I would like to meet up with a few other NYers or northern PA people who are planning a thru hike for 2014.

geomaniac
09-08-2013, 19:52
Start Date: Late Feb or early March
Approach Trail: Probably yes.

Austin 2014
09-09-2013, 10:13
Trail Name: none yet
Estimated Start Date: March 22ish
Approach Trail: not sure

amervin
09-09-2013, 14:03
Trail Name: nothin yet
Start Date: 3/1/14
Approach Trail: hellz yeah

I've got a lot of thinking to do. Five or six months worth. Looking forward to the neutrality the trail will provide. Yeeeeee!

MDM0327
09-11-2013, 18:15
I'm Mike a 41 year old white male that have dream this since I was a teenager its time to do it now im retired and no family left really NOBO March 7th 2014 I live just south Atlanta and planning to just do it. I'm do have a low vision problem so if I ask to read me my guidebook that's why I do see shapes colors and some details. my email is [email protected] so if you want to walk some miles with me drop me a line. I will be doing the approach trail as well im super friendly and easy to be around lets chat and do this they call me Overload on the trails.

robin31
09-12-2013, 13:39
Finally!!!!

Trail name: no name yet
NOBO
start date: March 1
approach trail: no

frogmonkey
09-12-2013, 17:32
Trail Name: Don't have one yet
Estimated Start Date: First week of February
Approach Trail: Undecided
Additional information I want the world to know: Taking time off of school to do the hike. I'm a little nervous about the winter weather, but still super excited! And I started a blog for this trip: http://1step-at-a-time2014.tumblr.com/

ldf84
09-13-2013, 09:33
Trail Name: none yet
Estimated Start Date: April 2nd
Additional Info: Hiking it with RovingRanger! :)

RovingRanger
09-13-2013, 09:37
Start Date: April 2
Additional Info: Hiking with ldf84!!!

Americanhiker
09-14-2013, 00:34
Trail Name: Squatchy
Start Date:
Approach Trail: Yes -
Starting Springer Mountain March 1st ish
Additional Info: Hiking w/ friend ( he has no trail name Yet! )

adamkunzler
09-14-2013, 14:58
Trail Name: No trail name yet
Estimated Start Date: First weekend of April
Approach Trail - I figure it's part of it. :0)
any additional info that you want the world to know: oh, I imagine the world will have plenty on me by the time I get to Maine. :0)

Mumbles_2014
09-15-2013, 13:12
Trail Name: Will hopefully get one on trail
Start Date: early March
Additional Info: I'm putting school on hold to hike for about 6 months. Can't wait!

4-iron
09-15-2013, 16:39
Trail Name: 4-Iron
Start Date: March 19

Ruthie 2014
09-16-2013, 15:20
Trail name: ???
Start date: mid March
Approach trail: not sure

I've been dreaming of hiking the AT for many many years and now is finally my chance! Can't wait.

Willow42
09-19-2013, 13:46
Trail name: Don't have one yet
Estimated start date: Mid-June
Approach trail: Sure
Additional info: I would really love to find a group to walk with (I know we may end up parting ways but some companionship at least at the beginning would be lovely). If you're interested please feel free to message me! I am a newbie here but am really excited to meet new people. :)

Outdoorsman88
09-20-2013, 07:18
Trail Name- None yet
Direction- NOBO
Estimated Start Date- mid-March
Approach Trail- Sure, why not??
Have been mulling this over in my mind for quite some time now, and now all the factors are converging to make it possible...and I couldn't be more excited...

Grampsb
09-20-2013, 07:57
Estimated Start Date: Mar 10th - Mar 30
Approach Trail - Probably

Reitred AF (1984) and from civilian life Sep 27 this year. Moving to Elizabethton Tn about 15 minutes from the AT. That means I will be able to do some good shake downs. Attending ATKO and hope to start after that. Will be hiking with my grandson, but not sure how far he will be able to go, since he has a job. Hoping for him to hike with me for about 30 days or at least til Tenn.

Bagge Pants
09-22-2013, 19:43
Estimated Start Date: April 21
Approach Trail - sure
any additional info that you want the world to know: I used to sit at work with a calculator and waste time trying to hypothesize an AT thru hike. Then, I got laid off work and now here I am.

AttorneyAtLunch
09-22-2013, 19:47
Estimated Start Date: March 7th (tentative)

JR06
09-23-2013, 16:24
Trail name: None yet
Estimated start date: Last week of Feb. depending on weather
Approach trail: No
Misc. : Graduating from NC State in December. Let me know if you are in the NC area.

jtap0204
09-24-2013, 00:33
Tail Name- N/A
Direction-NOBO
Estimated Start Date- February 14th, 2014
Approach trail- Yes
My girlfriend and I live in Austin, Texas. We are excited about starting early. There is no rush with us, just looking forward to the adventure.

hrguy
09-25-2013, 04:30
Trail Name: No trail name yet. I think bynames/informal monikers as best assigned by others, so I'll it to my fellow hikers to come up with one.
Direction:NOBO
Estimated Start Date: Mid-February
Additional Information: My name is Tom, I live in middle Tennessee and I am a 67 year old retired federal employee. I plan to celebrate the beginning of my 68th year on this earth while pursuing a long held desire to thru-hike the AT. An additional bit of info; I am a kidney transplant patient (transplanted 9/00) and after doing some record research, I believe that upon reaching the summit of Katahdin I will be the oldest transplant patient to complete the AT trek.
I am really looking forward to being part of such a diverse group in regards to age and life experiences, all chasing the same the goal, all with different reasons for doing so. Should be interesting.

Figgy
09-25-2013, 23:54
Trail Name: Figgy
Estimated Start Date: Feb 16th
Approach Trail - yes
Looking forward to it!

timbercreek
09-26-2013, 18:09
Hey Pops
NOBO
March 19, 2014
Not sure on the Approach Trail

GreatDane
09-26-2013, 20:08
Trail Name: GreatDane, Wekiva, I'm Good; We'll see. Direction: Either NOBO GA-ME or flip flop Harper's Ferry to Katahdin and then Harper's Ferry to Springer. Start Date: Middle of March for NOBO or April 1 for flip flop. Approach Trail: Not sure yet. I've wanted to do this for 35 years, ever since I hiked the approach trail with my boyfriend in January. My sister died this past January just after her 60th birthday, and never did most of the things she dreamed about. My son helped me realize that doing a thru is simply not negotiable for me anymore. So I'm training like crazy, working through my "get out of Dodge" checklist, and lurking big time on Whiteblaze. To quote Mark Twain: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you did not do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Many Moons
09-26-2013, 23:46
start mid april
trail name MILLER
been out there last two years
HIKE ON!!!!!

Paul the Brit
09-27-2013, 04:56
Tail Name- N/A
Direction-NOBO
Estimated Start Date- February 14th, 2014
Approach trail- Yes
My girlfriend and I live in Austin, Texas. We are excited about starting early. There is no rush with us, just looking forward to the adventure.

I am relocating to San Antonio Tx November and will be heading onto the trail around Feb 16th all going to plan. Hopefully see you on the trail.

RisingBull
09-27-2013, 08:53
Trail Name: Rising Bull

Estimated Start Date: March 31st at 9am. (I can already see the arch at the beginning of the trail!)

Approach Trail - I don't know what this means but it's my first time hiking the trail.

Any additional info that you want the world to know: I believe in becoming one with something greater than myself. I feel the completion of the trail will be a great reminder of the possibilites that are ahead of me in the rest of my life. My dear friend Hog's Tooth requested I commence on this Journey with him. We'll see you on the trail, friends.

Derf
09-27-2013, 09:06
Trail Name: Mine Derf wife's: Tagalong
Start Date: February 14th

walter
09-28-2013, 21:44
Trail Name None yet
Direction NOBO
Estimated Start Date Mid March
Approach Trail - yes or noo
I am very new to this, so looking for all the help and info I can get

akneisser
09-29-2013, 13:26
Trail Name: Get one while I'm there
Est. Start: March 16th
Approach: Probably
I am a 20 year old male from New Jersey. This will be one of my first backpacking experiences. I first heard about "thru-hiking" the whole AT about a year ago and never thought I would have the opportunity to do it, so to actually have the chance this spring is incredible. Literally counting down the days until Springer. Can't wait to see you all out there

Paul the Brit
09-29-2013, 18:51
Trail Name: Uff Da
Start Date: 2nd week of February

I will be hiking with my miniature schnauzer Herb

Whats do you plan to do at the Smokies and Baxter Park? The ATC site reports dogs are not allowed in those state parks. I was thinking of taking my dog but want to experience the whole AT.

tickspit
10-02-2013, 08:10
Nobo, doing approach on/about 4/1514. Second attempt. Tickspit

Helenlr
10-02-2013, 15:21
Trail Name: Will decide on the trail
Estimated Start Date: 3rd April
Approach Trail - Yes
Any additional info that you want the world to know: seven month career break approved by my work today!

Paul the Brit
10-02-2013, 19:22
Trail Name: Will decide on the trail
Estimated Start Date: 3rd April
Approach Trail - Yes
Any additional info that you want the world to know: seven month career break approved by my work today!

Another Brit! Congrats on work break. What visa did you get? My son is flying out from UK to join me and was looking at a DS160 visa.

TheDogHikerer
10-02-2013, 21:51
Trail Name- Ill wait for the trail to name me
Direction- NOBO
Estimated Start Date Middle of Jan
Approach Trail - yes

I will be hiking NOBO (i have a house in tucker GA and lobsterfish the summer in downeast me so this trail is perfect :)) with my two boys pongo 3.5yr pitbull and bruce 7yr pit/boxer both are extremely well trained as i was a dog trainer for awhile so if anyone has any tips for thru hiking with dogs please share them :D

Hey-Man
10-04-2013, 11:55
I definitely need a different trail name, which was made abundantly clear this week while hiking in GSMNP. Hey Man quickly became heyman, like Herman.
Anyway, got a shakedown hike in and learned a ton about my gear and myself. Good to go for the next round

TheDogHikerer
10-05-2013, 11:23
I recently felt like i've been guided to "Fish" as my trail name and will be hiking for a mental health research charity as well check out my site at facebook.com/hikelikeafish

mountain squid
10-09-2013, 18:46
Hope everyone's preps for next year are going well. We're over 200 on the spreadsheet (http://www.whiteblaze.net/cmps.php?page=2014thruhikers)! Let me know if there are any updates/changes or if I've made any mistakes.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail)&highlight=)how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

alexandra
10-09-2013, 21:11
Hope everyone's preps for next year are going well. We're over 200 on the spreadsheet (http://www.whiteblaze.net/cmps.php?page=2014thruhikers)! Let me know if there are any updates/changes or if I've made any mistakes.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Thank you for the awesome spreadsheet! I would like to update my info. I now have a trail name: " Oops " I have a start date: March 1st

whisper walking
10-10-2013, 07:59
Trail Name: Whisper
Estimated Start Date: 15 March

NCcummins
10-10-2013, 21:43
Trail Name: Blue
Estimated Start Date: Sometime around St. Patty's
Approach Trail - No (hiked it many times)

I attempted a thru hike in 2011 and made it to the Dutch Haus (815 miles). I planned to go out in 2013 but finished school instead and graduated in May, 2013. I then toured North America in a 1987 Astro Allegro motorhome. The majority of my trip was in Alaska. I then drove across Canada, into Maine, and back to NC. I am looking forward to heading out this year!

NCcummins
10-10-2013, 21:48
Trail Name: Blue
Estimated Start Date: Sometime around St. Patty's
Approach Trail - No (hiked it many times)

I attempted a thru hike in 2011 and made it to the Dutch Haus (815 miles). I planned to go out in 2013 but finished school instead and graduated in May, 2013. I then toured North America in a 1987 Astro Allegro motorhome. The majority of my trip was in Alaska. I then drove across Canada, into Maine, and back to NC. I am looking forward to heading out this year!

www.trailjournals.com/nadeau

slow ride 302
10-11-2013, 15:29
Trail Name: Not decided on one Direction: Southbound Estimated Start Date: Late April-Early May 2014 Approach Trail: I will start my 2014 section hike at the Appalachian Trail RR Station Comment: I will end the first section hike near Roanoke, VA. "I think more clearly in the Mountains"

sichenrg
10-12-2013, 09:11
Trail name: Spike
Start Date: early March

bnlaunius
10-14-2013, 11:59
Estimated start date: Feb 20
Cant wait!!!

Mosquito Bait
10-14-2013, 22:26

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Please change my starting date to April 20th. Thanks for the spreadsheet! Makes it easy to see who we will all be starting near.

_ciel
10-17-2013, 21:40
Estimated Start Date: February 15! Unless it's a blizzard.
Approach Trail - Yes!
My beau and I will be hiking north with our Australian Shepherd dog, Sheila. I'm looking forward to peeking out from my cubicle and starting a new adventure. We're both hoping to start graduate school in September and just want to have a little fun. :)

PorcupinePhobia
10-19-2013, 10:52
Trail Name...?
Going north
May 5th Start... maybe they'll call me Late Bloomer :P
Y Approach

Should be fun :)

SteelCut
10-20-2013, 11:26
Trail Name: SteelCut
Start: Mid to Late June

AT_Walker
10-20-2013, 13:22
NOBO
Starting first week in March
No trail name yet.
Will not walk approach trail

jefals
10-20-2013, 17:59
Trail Name: Marlow
Start Date: Shooting for March 16
Additional: hiking the trail to celebrate the 10th anniversary of my bone marrow transplant and my 40th birthday.

Way 2 go, Marlow!!! I know it's early, but congratulations on the anniversary and hope you have a phenomenal adventure!

jellibird
10-20-2013, 20:34
name:
Sobo
Early-mid June
Approach trail: I'll be hiking katahdin
New college grad, I'll be hiking with my cousin. Trying to use minimalist footware, go as lite as possible and hammocking. Looking forward to the solitude. Hope there aren't crazies out there... or too much snow...

MommaDuck
10-20-2013, 22:40
Trail Name: TBD NOBO Start date: 1st of March Approach trail: not sure yet Starting solo and ready to do this!

Snow>TP
10-21-2013, 19:38
Flugel Horn
North Board
March 1
All 9 miles of Amicalola State Park
Did 500 miles 2 years ago but got off to work as A Wilderness Ranger. No regrets on the first time around but this time I'm going to Maine. Riding Solo until I meet my new trail buds

brad m
10-21-2013, 22:09
hey im new hiking for the first time also im just doing the ga nc section and maybe we can hike at leat to the line nc if interested let me know would be fun to hike with someone thanks i live in monroe ga get back with me

ottercreek_hiker
10-22-2013, 22:46
Trail Name: No name yet
Estimated Start Date: Mid March-First of April
Approach Trail -Yes
Start date depends on weather. I have been thinking about hiking the AT for a few years now so when I turned 56 I decided that this is the time to do it.

adziebell
10-23-2013, 15:52
Hello All!
Trail Name: I don't have one yet
Estimated Start Date: ~March 5th
Approach Trail - yes or no: Yes, If i'm going to do the entire trail, I might as well do the ENTIRE trail!
any additional info that you want the world to know... I just want to say that I am super nervous. I've been planning this for a while, but the closer I get to my start date, the more unprepared I feel! Regardless, I am super excited to start, and even more excited to meet new people :)

Helenlr
10-23-2013, 16:38
Another Brit! Congrats on work break. What visa did you get? My son is flying out from UK to join me and was looking at a DS160 visa.

Yes. A DS-160 for the visa application and then issued with a B2

chasing shadows
10-24-2013, 05:17
Trail Name: i will get one when the time comes.
Estimated Start Date: Feburary 15th
any additional info that you want the world to know: im taking some time off from school and work to figure out somethings in my life while im on the trail.

durk
10-24-2013, 22:50
Trail Name: Spook
Start date: 4/4/14
Approach: yes
Other stuff: This is my first long distance thru hike. I estimate my FSO at 24 lbs. I'll be 58 so a lightweight pack is critical. I'm not ultralight yet but have a good start.

buzz48843
10-25-2013, 09:34
Trail Name: Infinity
NOBO
Early March
No to Approach Trail
I started the trail last year and left with a knee injury - back again! I have been doing specific exercises to target the knees and I am ready to hit the trail!

_ciel
10-25-2013, 09:55
Trail Name: i will get one when the time comes.
Estimated Start Date: Feburary 15th
any additional info that you want the world to know: im taking some time off from school and work to figure out somethings in my life while im on the trail.

Hi chasing! I guess we will see you out there! We are planning on leaving on the 15th as well!

Backpak
10-26-2013, 14:34
Trail Name: Been going by Backpack or Frodo most of my life. However I want my trail name to come from the Trail.
Estimated start date: April 2-14
Approach Trail: No. Did it once. Gonna skip those stairs. ;)

Here's my facebook page where I'll keep peeps updated. https://www.facebook.com/hikeswithnick

None yet
10-27-2013, 14:58
Trail name: none yet
Start: prob 1st wk or so of April
Approach Trail: not decided yet

nickgann
10-27-2013, 20:12
Trail Name - Spoon
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start - Last week of March or First week of April
Approach - Yes
Additional info - Love adventure, to imagine not taking this chance is more terrifying than anything else in my life.

samthebear
10-29-2013, 11:48
Trail name: Unsure as of now, but my real name is Sam.
Start date: Roughly May 5th.
Approach trail: probably yes.

I am finishing my associates degree at the end of April and will be leaving asap. I tried a week long section in Virginia last June and can't wait to give the whole thing a go!

Danny Vickerman
10-29-2013, 18:00
Trail Name- None yet, hopefully i get a good one
Direction- NOBO
Estimated Start Date- march
Doing the PCT
My first thru-hike =)

buzz48843
10-30-2013, 14:10
Trail Name - Infinity
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - March 4th
Approach Trail - No

Sara
10-30-2013, 15:29
I'm leaving a bit earlier - on April 6th now!

Estimated Start Date: April 12
Any additional info: http://www.trailjournals.com/Sara

walker1
10-31-2013, 09:03
Trail Name: None.
Direction: NOBO.
Estimated Start Date: February 16th, but depends on what the weather is doing...
Approach Trail: Yes.
Any Additional Info: First time in the US.

NigeB
10-31-2013, 10:05
TimeOut and Crunchie , Nrthbound, 20th Feb, approach trail, yes,

From Nottingham UK, catch us on www.facebook.com/timeoutadventures.co.uk.

Paul the Brit
10-31-2013, 22:20
TimeOut and Crunchie , Nrthbound, 20th Feb, approach trail, yes,

From Nottingham UK, catch us on www.facebook.com/timeoutadventures.co.uk (http://www.facebook.com/timeoutadventures.co.uk).

Hey Nige I am originally from Melton Mowbray and my son is traveling out from there to join me for a Feb start. Looking around 16th at moment depending on his visa/green card status. Probably catch you on the trail. He just did a first aid course in the Peak District and loved it. He hiked the Brecons last weekend in the bad weather and had a great time.

PorcupinePhobia
11-01-2013, 07:37
Trail name: Unsure as of now, but my real name is Sam.
Start date: Roughly May 5th.
Approach trail: probably yes.

I am finishing my associates degree at the end of April and will be leaving asap. I tried a week long section in Virginia last June and can't wait to give the whole thing a go!

Might see you there Sam, leaving "roughly" May 5th as well!

Tanya A.
11-01-2013, 12:18
Trail Name: Tatiana (after my patron saint)
Est. start date: second week of March

nightsabre13
11-03-2013, 15:37
Trail Name: None.
Direction:NOBO

Rhose
11-03-2013, 17:38
Trail Name: Not as of yet
Estimated Start Date: February 1, 2014
Approach Trail - No

LoufromFWB
11-06-2013, 14:29
OK, so here's my info for 2014:

Trail Name=NOT YET
Direction=NOBO (and more?)
Estimated Start Date=March 01, 2014
Approach Trail - yes or no=It doesn't count as the A.T., so NO. Besides, I'll be able to use that day to get further down the trail.
any additional info that you want the world to know:
Ok, maybe just a comment or two on the so-called "packing light mantra" which prevails amongst most, if not all, hikers attempting a thru-hike on the A.T. But before doing so, I realize there is a logic to packing light, and my comment may seem harsh or even upset a few, but I'm basically playing devil's advocate to see where it leads, so here we go:

"Why?"--This is more of an expedition than a 'hike' anyway. Shouldn't one pack what they are comfortable packing, even if it's 50lbs or more? Who knows, maybe the person has a quality pack that can make those pounds seem comfortable, and not as taxing as some would expect; and/or maybe the person is healthy. I mean how lazy have we become!? I know of some people that pack so light one wonders why they don't simply resupply every few hours, or every day! And in fact, this seems to be the way it's going lately---hike a few hours, go into town, resupply, hike a few more, etc. Hell, why don't they simply take the car!! What am I getting at? The Adventure of course! Or lack of one. We all have our reasons for hiking the A.T., but making it an 'adventure' seems to be a dwindling reason. [Note: I'm basically talking about a healthy person here.]-Now obviously we don't all need to have (or would even like) such 19th-century-like adventures with 70lb+ packs (though I admire anyone who tries), but making it with 20lb packs and resupplying almost every day seems utterly ridiculous! Great for their legs, back, or whatever---but so would a horse or car (if possible), or even a bike make it even easier. And this brings me back to every hiker's endeavor to packing light on the A.T. It seems to me (personally---note this please) that a better mantra would be to pack with what you will need to make the A.T. an adventure, both exciting and fun at the same time. Practice with the weighted pack before the adventure, and adjust as necessary, but don't let the 25-30lb light-load "standard" be your guiding light. I might add that I refer to 'heavy' as anything over 50lbs., though some would say anything over 30lbs is heavy. ughhhh------Ok so that's my two cents on the matter of light-packing I hear so much about, in fact, ad nauseum.
SEE YOU ON THE TRAIL---PROBABLY WITH MY 50+LB PACK!!--UNLESS YOU CAN CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE!:)

Tri-Pod Bob
11-07-2013, 00:32
Trail Name: Will see what comes on the trail Direction: SOBO Est. Start Date: 1st week of June Approach Trail: Gotta climb Mt. K to start!

It looks like I may be changing my plans from SOBO to a flip-flop hike. Grandchild #4 is due to enter the world the same week I'm planning to leave from Mt. K. After a bit of mulling it over, I'm leaning toward starting NOBO about a week after the baby is born. Then come back to Mass & head south. A couple of advantages for my hike: #1.....missing the black fly season! #2.....I'll have some progressively difficult miles between Mts. Greylock & Katahdin to get my trail legs under me. That way I won't be hiking the most difficult part of the AT right out of the gate. I've been out hiking quite a bit since June & this aging body is doing great, but we are talking about Maine & the Whites!! #3.....maybe, just maybe, there will be less mud to hike in. One can always hope that an week or so of June weather will help! Of course, this is New England....."wait 5 minutes". #4.....it will only alter my timing by a week or so....maybe 2. I may stay here for a couple of days to spoil the new family addition, then get back to Mt. Greylock for the stroll to Springer. No time constraints for me, so no problem! Anyway, I'll still pass all of the blazes....it's still a thru hike attempt. HYOH and all that!

Schnitzel
11-07-2013, 09:53
Here we go!

Trail Name - probably some variant on Antique (Ann Teak? Aunt Eek?)
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - March 22-23-24, somewhere in there
Approach Trail - probably not - if I feel the need, I can always change my mind!
Any Additional Information - Excited and nervous and happy and mood-swingy all at once! Every 40+ year old needs to go on an adventure or two. . .

OldSoul
11-07-2013, 18:06
OldSoul
NOBO
15 April
NO
Senor Hiker attempting thru-hike for 3rd time.

CharlieMike
11-10-2013, 01:58
Trail Name - Don't have one yet.
Direction - SOBO
Start Date - July 1st
Approach Trail - I have no idea what this means.

KingGator and Sons
11-10-2013, 14:31
Trail Name: None, will let it happen on the trail (Last year i named myself gator before hiking....not a good idea)
Estimated Start Date: Mar 1, 2014

NigeB
11-11-2013, 12:48
Hi Paul....how is the prep going....good luck with your sons green card....getting pretty wintry over here in the UK....whatever happened to Autumn....and before long it ' ll be spring and on the Trail....following your journal...catch you on the trail....
.......Christine and Nigel : )

Paul the Brit
11-11-2013, 14:11
Hi Paul....how is the prep going....good luck with your sons green card....getting pretty wintry over here in the UK....whatever happened to Autumn....and before long it ' ll be spring and on the Trail....following your journal...catch you on the trail....
.......Christine and Nigel : )

Still waiting on the card but if its not here by Mid-Dec we are getting a DS160 as a temp visitor. Means he will need private health insurance which I was hoping to avoid as a "tourist". Who did you use for insurance?

Otherwise prepartations are going good, he completed the wilderness first aid course in the Peak District (I am still waiting on his blog!!) plus headed back to Brecon Beacons for more hiking. Having hiked on the AT last week I need to push my training on hill climbs as I am slow on those but otherwise things are good.

I finished work a week ago and will be relocating this week but once settled I'll get the blog more active as I increase the momentum to spring!

See you there!

Nuggz
11-11-2013, 14:20
Trail Name: The trail shall name me
Direction: Starting in Springer, hoping to eventually end up North.
Estimated Date: Late March / Early April.
Approach Trail: Maybe... I have no plans either way.
Experienced backpacker thats been waiting for everything to fall in place to leave the 9-5 and live out of my backpack. It's now or never. Starting out solo.

Nick P
11-11-2013, 15:22
Trail Name: none
Direction: Southbound, solo
ESD: June 30th

Crunchie
11-11-2013, 16:17
Not bought any insurance yet but will probably use Atlas America. On research they seem the best and they were also recommended by a US broker for best visitor insurance for a thru hike.
There is also World Nomads Insurance whose premiums work out slightly cheaper and cover level is good for adventure activities BUT for any out patient treatment they say you have to pay the bill and then claim your money back when you get home which we don't want to have to do.

Hey-Man
11-12-2013, 09:08
Hey Man,
Started from Springer in late October - you can take me off the 2014 registry....thanks!

fireemt
11-12-2013, 09:58
Trail Name Ice-fire
Direction NOBO
Estimated Start Date March 26
Approach Trail - yes or no YES

icebergslim
11-14-2013, 19:34
Estimated Start Date: January 26
Approach Trail - no

that_guy
11-15-2013, 11:18
Estimated Start Date: May 20
Other Info: Graduating Undergrad in May....delaying entry into the real world for a few months as a graduation present to myself. Will be by far my longest walk yet.

Ruski
11-15-2013, 16:20
Hey mt squid. Thanks for putting together this spreadsheet!
Trail Name - None yet
Direction - Northbound
Estimated Start Date - March 1
Approach Trail - yes

-Animal
11-16-2013, 20:15
Trail Name: Animal
Estimated StartDate: April 1
Approach Trail:Yes
Here I go again.