PDA

View Full Version : are you embarresed with the amount of time you spend in this forum

Easyhiker
12-31-2002, 23:17

Doctari
11-28-2003, 15:24
Darn you for making me think about it :jump

I want to go hiking NOW!!!!!

Sigh

Doctari.

squirrel bait
11-28-2003, 18:07
Yes, but I have had every question answered, learned a ton, remembered some, helped one or two and seems like were just getting started.

Jaybird
01-09-2004, 10:21
...wow...makes you stop & think huh?

yea..........i'd much rather be hikin' than talking (or typing) about it....but since i can't @ this moment....i can dream....& visit the WhiteBlaze forums often! heheheheheehee :D

i hit the trail with "Jigsaw", "Model T", "DragonFly", "TooTall" & "Matt" (aka: "the Model-T crew") May 1st for a section hike: Clingmans to Hot Springs...say "HELLO" as you zip past us!

wlvn1
04-02-2004, 15:24
Headed out (Nobo from the PA line) Sunday as a matter of fact. Harper's Ferry bound...
One more section in the books...at my current rate, I should reach Maine just before they invent the jet-propelled boots!

Less talk. More hike!

okpik
04-02-2004, 16:34
The more I log on, the more I wanna go, the more keeps comin' up to do.

Soon damn it soon.

Stuart
07-01-2004, 11:03
If I can't be learning through my own experience I might as well be here learning through the experience of others. Whiteblaze.net is without doubt the single most informative backpacking resource that I have yet found. I tend to check in several times a day and am very appreciative of the community atmosphere fostered here.

fiddlehead
04-16-2005, 23:14
Now that I'm not living in the states, this website has allowed me to keep in touch with issues back on the AT. I really appreciate the well done website that covers all the angles. I'm going to post some of my better pix on here soon. Yes, i spend way too much time on here, but.............I like it! fh

Panzer1
04-16-2005, 23:27
Yea,

I too have learned a lot from this web site. Especially about eggs... For whatever that's worth.

Panzer

alanthealan
04-17-2005, 15:28
It beats asking the wankers at the outfitter qestions.

HikerHobo
04-17-2005, 21:01
...... yes

SGT Rock
04-17-2005, 21:10
Better than a lot of other things when I'm stuck doing something besides hiking.

Mountain Hippie
04-17-2005, 21:40
No way, The time spent here saves me a ton of pain and struggles when I am on the trail.

saimyoji
04-17-2005, 22:32
Here I have discovered the true meaning of vicarious. One day I'll be able to spend more time on the trail, but in the meantime, this is pretty close. Edu-tainment too.

DavidNH
04-17-2005, 22:50
I am not embarrassed about spending a lot of time in this forum. I have found whiteblaze to be one of the most usefull places on the net for hiking advice and when the time comes when I do the big one (the AT) the advice from the hours spent here will serve me well..a least I hope!

David

neo
04-17-2005, 22:55
if i am not not hiking,i am still dreaming about it:cool: neo

Nean
04-18-2005, 12:42
Thankfully my woman keeps me on a short leash and I'm only allowed a few hours a week, otherwise I'm sure I'd spend way too much time here, like today while she's at work. When I'm not laughing, I'm learning- Gotta love it :p

Just Jeff
04-18-2005, 12:46
I no longer get embarrassed about doing what I want. If I'm happy, I don't care what {INSERT NAME HERE} thinks. Unless it's my wife...then I care.*

Jeff

*Just in case she reads this... :)

Mags
04-18-2005, 14:27
Embarassed? Heck no. Like many professional IT geeks, I sit at a computer all day at work . So I have the time.

(After work, unlike some professional IT geeks, I do not want to look a a computer, much less touch one! :D)

Since I have the time, may as well give back to the community I have received so much from over the years.

Tha Wookie
04-18-2005, 15:48
I'm with Mags, when it's not hiking time. I usually am on here when I'm downloading stuff for work.

Beats TV, anyway.

It's also real nice when i'm traveling out of the country, and phone calls home are not an option but internet is available. Definitely a social outlet at times. As many stupid arguments as there are, I like everyone on this site. The backpacker culture is, by nature, rather spread out. This site helps herd in the sheep every once and a while. Some more than others, obviously.

Kozmic Zian
04-18-2005, 22:45
Yea.....Na. Don't come here much.KZ@

Mags
04-18-2005, 23:47
Definitely a social outlet at times. As many stupid arguments as there are, I like everyone on this site. The backpacker culture is, by nature, rather spread out. This site helps herd in the sheep every once and a while. Some more than others, obviously.
I must admit, the online forums are how I stay in touch with a large part of the hiking community. Get to "know" people that way. I also agree with Wookie: Many of us who meet in person chuckle about the arguements we all have. Everytime I meet a hiker from an online forum, tend have good time.

Also, I think the phrase to organzine hikers is "like herding cats". :)

Ramble~On
04-19-2005, 17:23
Uhhhhh.

When I can't be "out there" I'm happy I can be "in here"

Sallysot
04-19-2005, 17:37
just reading what others are thinking and doing makes the trails seem closer somehow, and refreshes the pictures in my mind. Great place to come!!

Catsgoing
04-20-2005, 08:58
Know one should control anothers life. We all have our own life even if married and sharing with another women/man.

Each should respect that.... I could see if your on a girly girl site and don't chase your lady to get some when she comes home.

Other than that let each other live. Do the chores you split between you...

But never get put on a leash unless it is kinky...........

I was married for 30 years. I think that is how our marriage worked. We parted due to the fact we grew up together and we both wanted a taste of the world around us. At least I did ie Camping, Kayaking, Ultra Light camping/hiking.

He just wants money in his pocket. So his love is one reason I left. Work Work Work...... To many young Titty girly girls. I am 52 and not into trying to look 30.

Have a great life and get off the leash.................

Skyline
04-20-2005, 09:15
I get to hike in SNP or between Troutdale & Damascus 35 to 40 weekends a year, plus do longer trips elsewhere a couple times a year. The AT's done, and I have other (shorter) trails in my sights. The time spent here and on similar sites, maybe short bursts twice a day, is time well spent too.

Life is good.

jlb2012
04-20-2005, 09:34
Skyline - do me a favor and let the folks over on the PATC forum know that I won't be bothering them anymore now that they have changed the requirements for posting.

Skyline
04-24-2005, 16:25
HOI, I responded directly to you privately regarding the above post using the whiteblaze interface, to the e-mail address you have registered with whiteblaze. If this is an e-mail address you no longer use, please go to my whiteblaze profile and send me an e-mail with the correct address and I'll try again.

Thanks,

Skyline

Pencil Pusher
04-24-2005, 17:13
HOI and Skyline, you both should get introduced to private messaging. Simply click on each other's name and you'll see a link indicating such. Click on it and you get to send a private message the other person is sure to get next time they're online.

Next up: how to tie your shoes.

Bob Davies
04-27-2005, 14:20
THIS ADDICTION IS BETTER THAN SOME OF THE OTHER ONES I HAVE <g>

Nean
04-28-2005, 12:53
Good information PP, I'm new at this and have a lot to learn, but here is what REALLY bothers me- do I start with the Left or with the Right?;)

Ridge
04-28-2005, 14:12
But, It's made me to want to backpack again. Me and a girlfriend are considering a trip from Newfound Gap to Standing Bear Farm, near I-40. We haven't determined the miles yet, so if anyone knows, let me know. It may be too much at first. Also, does anyone know how far the trail is from the Rangers Station at Davenport Gap, and how far from Davenport Gap? Can you park a car at the Rangers Station? Can you access the Rangers Station at I-40? hikerwife

Buckingham
08-23-2005, 13:40
I only get to hike once a year, for all to brief a time period. In the interim, all I do is think about getting back on the trail. This lovely little website keeps me from jonesin'. Only 15 more days until I can get my fix, yeah baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be covering, or attempting to, all of Jersey between Sept. 7-11, so if you see me and my comrades, please say hello.

Tin Man
08-23-2005, 13:49
I only get to hike once a year, for all to brief a time period. In the interim, all I do is think about getting back on the trail. This lovely little website keeps me from jonesin'. Only 15 more days until I can get my fix, yeah baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be covering, or attempting to, all of Jersey between Sept. 7-11, so if you see me and my comrades, please say hello.

Ditto! 38 Days until our 60 mile section to close out VT.

Buckingham, Enjoy your hike. I did a short day hike of the NJ AT (near Del Water Gap) while my son was at a nearby Scout summer camp 2 weeks ago. Nice views from the trail and Fire Tower. The ups and downs seemed easy compared to our recent sections in VT.

TOW
08-23-2005, 19:26
i'm not embarrassed at all about the amount of time i am on here, it keeps the AT a fresh on my mind.....

sierraDoug
08-23-2005, 20:20
It's got me embarrassed enough to take a quick hastily planned solo trip this weekend to get out there!

Big Dawg
08-23-2005, 22:42
My wife cracks up at my obsession,,,,, Whiteblazing. Hey, what can I say.... it get's me thru til my next hike. No embarrasment here. :clap I only wish she had the obsession too.:(