PDA

View Full Version : forwarding priority mail bump boxes

sandyc
04-12-2013, 16:56
Hi -

I was told that if you use a priority mail branded box, and choose not to go into a town to a PO where there's a box waiting for you, that PO will send the box along to another PO of your choice at no charge and without you appearing in person.

Anyone have details on the procedure? My source did not.

Thanks

Sandy
(starting at Springer 4/23)

Mountain Mike
04-12-2013, 17:07
Fill out a change of address card. You can find them at any PO & drop them in any mailbox. Or you can do it online at: https://moversguide.usps.com/icoa/icoa-main-flow.do?execution=e1s2&_flowId=icoa-main-flow&referral=USPS

sandyc
04-12-2013, 17:12
So you change your address from "XXXXX Thru Hiker Hold For Delivery Blah Blah, NC 11111" to "XXXX Thru Hiker Hold for Delivery Blah Blah, VA 22222"?

Doesn't that take some time to process? Don't they send like a security confirmation note or something?

Thanks!!

Mountain Mike
04-12-2013, 17:21
I normally forwarded stuff a couple of stops up the trail. Also most of the postmasters along the way are savy to it & helpful. I would also advise to keep a list of phone numbers to the POs you are using.

Mountain Mike
04-12-2013, 17:22
No conformation needed just your signature on the card.

soilman
04-12-2013, 19:32
I used priority boxes for all my packages. They now include tracking which used to cost an extra $1. I had one box going to Pt. Clinton and I knew I was going to hit town during the weekend so I called on Friday and asked them to bump it to Palmerton which they did with no signature. Trouble is it didn't get to Palmerton until after Tuesday. I got to Palmerton on Monday. Beat the USPS. I then had it forwarded to Kent, CT and it was there when I arrived.

Bucketfoot
04-12-2013, 20:20
Pay postage once and have your parcel shipped two,three or more times. Sounds like your getting a pretty good deal to me. Can't say the PO isn't being good to you.

swjohnsey
04-12-2013, 21:56
I forwarded several parcels by phone. Called the post office it was addressed to. Be prepared to be grilled. Who is the addressee and where, what it the return address, etc. On a couple I could not remember what I used for a return address but was allowed a couple of guesses.

handlebar
04-13-2013, 13:24
I've had good results simply calling the PO that has the package and asking that it be forwarded either to c/o General Deliver at another PO or to a private location in town (having checked with that location that it's OK) when I knew I'd be arriving when the PO was closed. As always, you catch more flies with honey. Probably such helpfulness is not strictly OK by PO rules, cut most trail town post offices are familiar with the trail community and the employees strive to be helpful. Knowing the tracking number and being able to describe the package (in my case, it's an Orange Home Depot 5 gal bucket with blue duct tape wrapped around it) gives the PO relative confidence that someone's not scamming them.