PDA

View Full Version : Removing pitch

attroll
07-03-2005, 22:53
I got some pitch on my Silnylon tarp. What can I use to remove it without harming the Silnylon or leaving a sticky spot on the Silnylon?

Nean
07-03-2005, 23:18
Working with Christmas trees I get covered with pitch- rubbing alcohol takes it right off. Don't know if it would hurt the silnylon.

brian
07-03-2005, 23:31
Working with Christmas trees I get covered with pitch- rubbing alcohol takes it right off. Don't know if it would hurt the silnylon.

Rubbing alcohol shouldnt hurt the fabric, just dont soak it in it for days on end...just use a little bit and gently wipe it off.

Brian

SGT Rock
07-03-2005, 23:48
Something to think about, camp fuel is sometimes used to cut silicone when seam sealing sil-nylon, it evaporates off the sil-nylon when drying without harming the sil-nylon. I would guess that you could probably use some of that without damaging your tarp as long as you don't light it. I would also go conservative with it myself.

brian
07-03-2005, 23:50
Something to think about, camp fuel is sometimes used to cut silicone when seam sealing sil-nylon, it evaporates off the sil-nylon when drying without harming the sil-nylon. I would guess that you could probably use some of that without damaging your tarp as long as you don't light it. I would also go conservative with it myself.

Right, I clean my brushes with mineral spirits, and sometimes denatured alcohol (whichever is sitting on my desk at the time). Any mineral spirit\alcohol should work, just go easy on it and dont force the silicone impregnation out of the tarp (which should be very, very difficult to do).

Brian

DLFrost
07-04-2005, 18:47
Any mineral spirit\alcohol should work, just go easy on it and dont force the silicone impregnation out of the tarp (which should be very, very difficult to do).
The stuff used to remove label glue/gum might possibly ok too (both the orange peel extract and the petroleum types)... Perhaps someone with some scrap sylny should do some testing and post their results? :)

Doug Frost

Streamweaver
07-05-2005, 12:09
Vegetable oil will take Pitch off the tarp and it wont hurt the fabric. Peanut butter will work too(its the oil that braeks down the pitch) just rub some oil into it let it stand for half hour or so(longer as needed) then wash off with a mild detergent. Streamweaver

attroll
07-15-2005, 13:49
Vegetable oil will take Pitch off the tarp and it wont hurt the fabric. Its the oil that braeks down the pitch, just rub some oil into it let it stand for half hour or so(longer as needed) then wash off with a mild detergent. Streamweaver
I did exactkly this but used olive oil because I did not have any vegetable oil in the house. It worked very well. I highly recommend using oil.

hiker5
07-15-2005, 14:24
My wife is the one who told me that vegetable oil will get off sticky stuff. We regularly use it to get off residue from price tags or labels. Works like a dream. Glad to hear it went well in you situation too.