PDA

View Full Version : Permit Help, Please!

R Jay
04-13-2013, 14:40
Can anyone explain the walk-in permit policy from happy isles? I would like to begin my JMT hike in July, and I've recently come to realize that a reserved permit needs to be set up 24 weeks in advance. I'm obviously too late to do this... If I have a very flexible start time, two days or so, when I get to Yosemite, can I count on being able to get a "first come first serve" permit?? I'm confused...

DaFireMedic
04-13-2013, 16:29
Can anyone explain the walk-in permit policy from happy isles? I would like to begin my JMT hike in July, and I've recently come to realize that a reserved permit needs to be set up 24 weeks in advance. I'm obviously too late to do this... If I have a very flexible start time, two days or so, when I get to Yosemite, can I count on being able to get a "first come first serve" permit?? I'm confused...

Don't worry, you'll be fine. I was in the same situation last year. The bottom line is this, you need to decide which day you want to begin your hike (Its best if you choose a weekday, less competition for permits). Then you'll need to show up in the early morning at the Wilderness Center in Yosemite Valley THE DAY BEFORE your scheduled start day. I had my wife drop my son and I off there in the early morning hours (just after midnight) in case a large group showed up wanting Happy Isles permits. As it turns out, I believe that everyone who showed up in line before about 9 a.m. got permits that day. If you really want to leave on your scheduled date, show up before 7 a.m. or earlier and you should have no problem getting the permit that you want. Your permit will then be good for the following day (your planned departure date), so you can spend the night in the backpackers campground. You must have an overnight permit from one of the valley trailheads in order to use the Backpackers campground so you will have no problem getting a space there.

One more tip: Look at the maps of the Valley beforehand so you know the location of the Wilderness Center and don't have to wander around looking for it.

MuddyWaters
04-14-2013, 09:17
It should go without saying that you ought to plan midweek start too, not saturday morning

Berserker
04-15-2013, 11:53
I don't know what day in July you are shooting for, but per the latest full trip heads report on the NPS website the Illilouette option is still open for a reservable permit for over half of July. This option starts at Happy Isles, and only requires that you camp off the JMT the first night (about 2 miles off the JMT in the Illiloutte basin). From that point on you can do the rest of the JMT. If you're already building in an extra day or two this may be a good option to consider.

For more info check out the JMT user group at Yahoo as all the permit stuff has been discussed ad naseum over there.

Berserker
04-15-2013, 11:57
Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that if you roll in with that permit you can always do what DaFireMedic suggested to attempt to upgrade to a different permit with Illilouette at the fall back option.

mxracer33x
04-30-2013, 16:36
I got in late as well. My reservation is for Rafferty Creek on July 1. My planned departure is Happy Isles on June 30. Unless I get a walk up permit at Happy Isles I will be "day hiking" to Tuolomne Meadows/Rafferty Creek to get my permit on July 1. It will be a long Day and an early start. If that is the case I will have my wife and kids drop my gear at the store for me at Tuolomne to lighten the load before they head home.

wcgornto
04-30-2013, 22:44
I got in late as well. My reservation is for Rafferty Creek on July 1. My planned departure is Happy Isles on June 30. Unless I get a walk up permit at Happy Isles I will be "day hiking" to Tuolomne Meadows/Rafferty Creek to get my permit on July 1. It will be a long Day and an early start. If that is the case I will have my wife and kids drop my gear at the store for me at Tuolomne to lighten the load before they head home.

I start June 30. Maybe I'll see you out there.

Dogwood
04-30-2013, 23:58
There is NO GUARANTEEING a walk up Permit for a Happy Isles start of the JMT in JULY from the Back Country Office in Yosemite Valley! July is a busy hiking month! Every SENSIBLE NP Ranger will RIGHTLY tell you that. But do as others have said! Get to the BACK COUNTRY OFFICE and wait outside at least TWO HOURS BEFORE THE DOORS OPEN. I'm not exaggerating that! You'll have a GOOD shot at getting the walk up JMT thru-hiking permit starting at HI for the following day. EARLY or MID WEEK gives you the BEST shot! IF by some chance you wind up trying to get the walk up permit on a fri, sat, sun get to the BCO even earlier perhaps even sleeping outside on the veranda to the BCO overnight. I had to do that one time! The Back Country Office is near the PO, Outfitter, Grocery Store(WELL STOCKED!), Ansel Adams Gallery, Theater, Park Exhibits, etc. I've thrued the JMT SOBO twice and NOBO once. Once starting in mid July. Once starting in late June. Once in the Fall. I've ALWAYS gotten my walk up permits(I've NEVER had a reservation!) for starting the following day or two days after at the Back Country Offices(Ranger Station) in Yosemite Valley! On the one occasion I had to wait two days before getting my JMT thru-hiking permit I started at Bridal Veil Falls and hiked up to the Pahono Trail on the rim and hiked that over to Sentinel Dome past Dewey, Taft, etc Pointst and connected with the Panorama Trail that takes you past Illouotte Falls and over to near Clark Pt between Vernal and Nevada Falls. From there I just continued on the JMT SOBO with a valid JMT thru permit. The BCO Rangers IN YV AGREED to combine this permit for the Pahono/Illouotte and the JMT as one permit which suited me PERFECTLY! BTW, after more than eight times doing extensive LONG hikes in Yosemite/Sequoia/King's Canyon NPs I HAVE NEVER had a reservation. I ALWAYS get my walk up permits for the next or two days later! When you get to the BCO/Rangers Station in YV inquire from them about your options for obtaining a permit based on what you desire and your time frame. They will give you some possible scenarios! IT REALLY HELPS TO THINK OF ALTERNATIVE HIKING SCENARIOS(like just adding a day hike onto the front end of a JMT thru start!). There's a lot to experience in YV and the surrounding areas of the NP and VERY WORTHWHILE SHORT HIKES to do in addition to doing a JMT thru. Spend your time wisely. NO REASON to hang around Yosemite NP feeling sorry for yourself and thinking you HAVE TO waste your time.

Dogwood
05-01-2013, 00:10

You can day hike HI to TM but also do a one nighter and take in HD too and/or possibly Clouds Rest. You can stay at Little YV CG past Nevada Falls or go a little past that, say to the HD/JMT junction, and stealth in that vicinity(overlooking LYV) for one night and take it home to TM the following day where you'll have a valid JMT thru permit. Where people get so caught up is that they sometimes think they have to have a hiking scenario like everyone else or how the majority have done it!

q-tip
05-01-2013, 09:55
I have a permit for August 6th I might not be using. I got really ill and am in NY for treatment. PM me and we can talk,

DaFireMedic
05-01-2013, 14:19
I have a permit for August 6th I might not be using. I got really ill and am in NY for treatment. PM me and we can talk,

Sorry to hear that q-tip. I hope you get better and back on the trail soon.

mxracer33x
05-02-2013, 11:55
You can day hike HI to TM but also do a one nighter and take in HD too and/or possibly Clouds Rest. You can stay at Little YV CG past Nevada Falls or go a little past that, say to the HD/JMT junction, and stealth in that vicinity(overlooking LYV) for one night and take it home to TM the following day where you'll have a valid JMT thru permit. Where people get so caught up is that they sometimes think they have to have a hiking scenario like everyone else or how the majority have done it! My backup is stealth camping if necessary. Sometimes you have those days where nothing clicks and you cant get past 13-15 miles. Unfortunately I have myself on a 10-14 day 'schedule'. I have up to 21 days, but the last 7 are set aside for another family vacation if I can spare them. Its all in fun though. If I cant enjoy it I'll slow it down. Thank you very much for the Tips!

Dogwood
05-02-2013, 14:01
My backup is stealth camping if necessary. Sometimes you have those days where nothing clicks and you cant get past 13-15 miles. Unfortunately I have myself on a 10-14 day 'schedule'. I have up to 21 days, but the last 7 are set aside for another family vacation if I can spare them. Its all in fun though. If I cant enjoy it I'll slow it down. Thank you very much for the Tips!

WITHOUT getting too caught up losing too many valuable hiking days due to logistics a 12-14 days JMT thru going SOBO is in the money zone for the majority of experienced and dedicated hikers. That equates to about 16-18 miles per day(the JMT is REALLY about 225 miles if summitting Mt Whitney and heading out Whitney Portal). I tell this to everyone(not everyone heeds my advice though), "DO NOT RUSH A JMT THRU-HIKE!" I can chose to thru-hike any trail in the U.S. multiple times but the JMT is one of the few trails I've chosen to do just that - with good reason. It's just so WONDERFUL and SPECIAL to get to thru-hike! C'est la vie. BTW, I can understand wanting to get out of the Choco, Redding, and Fresno areas in July. It's HOTTT there in July and Aug.

Dogwood
05-02-2013, 14:09
Be mindful of your resupply options CLOSE to the JMT OR that can be completed in a timely manner too so you don't get caught up losing days(partial days) to logistics OR you could quickly find yourself HAVING TO RATCHET UP the miles per day. Don't know about you but I really HATE FEELING RUSHED when I'm hiking! AND, if there is ANY TRAIL that is WORTHY of my time it's the JMT. Just too scenic to rush it!