PDA

View Full Version : PA Hike

Hops53
04-13-2013, 17:50
doing section from Pen-Mar to PA 325. Plan to drive up from TN and park mid-way. Any suggestions for reliable shuttles in the area. I have the AT list - just looking for recommendations.
Thanks.

johnnybgood
04-13-2013, 20:15
TrailAngel Mary has a good reputation .

Pine Grove Furnace State Park has parking , not sure about fees.

no-name
04-14-2013, 06:55
This guy Mike gave me a ride from the lot in Boiling Springs (about two hundred yards from the ATC office) to the north end of Duncannon about two weeks ago. He was very nice and knowledgeable. He responded to my email request with a quote. He was on-time. You should definitely email him for a quote.Michael Gelinas
Harmony Hall School House
Carlisle, PA
(717) 497-6022
[email protected]
As far north or south as hikers need.

Wise Old Owl
04-14-2013, 08:00
no fees....

Hops53
04-14-2013, 08:03
Thanks everyone, got set up with Michael.

illabelle
04-14-2013, 08:43
doing section from Pen-Mar to PA 325. Plan to drive up from TN and park mid-way. Any suggestions for reliable shuttles in the area. I have the AT list - just looking for recommendations.
Thanks.

When you gonna be there? We're also from Knoxville, flying up to Harrisburg this Wed morning for a week going north from Penn-Mar. If you're there when we are, we may see you!

Hops53
04-14-2013, 21:53
When you gonna be there? We're also from Knoxville, flying up to Harrisburg this Wed morning for a week going north from Penn-Mar. If you're there when we are, we may see you!
Leaving Thursday - starting at Pen-Mar Friday - plan to hike to PA 325 over the next 7-8 days -

illabelle
04-15-2013, 06:25
Looks like we'll start a day and a half ahead of you. But we ain't fast, and we'll be off the trail on Saturday, so you'll catch up. Look for a couple in their 50's, both with red packs.

Hops53
04-15-2013, 07:23
Looks like we'll start a day and a half ahead of you. But we ain't fast, and we'll be off the trail on Saturday, so you'll catch up. Look for a couple in their 50's, both with red packs.
We'll keep our eyes open. We're both in our 50's also (only a couple of months left in the 50's for me) - Hope to see you there. - Hops & The Trail Wench

Rain Man
04-18-2013, 10:24
Y'all have fun in PA!!! I did the southern half in October and the northern half the last week and a half. Just got home last evening, in fact. WHEW... am glad to have those PA rocks behind me.

I found PA folks to be very friendly and helpful. Enjoyed the many trail towns, too.

Posted a link last October to that photo album and hope to be posting one this weekend for this trip, if that might interest you. If you have any questions that I might be able to answer, I'd be happy to try. Post or PM me.

Rain:sunMan

HikerMom58
04-18-2013, 12:37
Y'all have fun in PA!!! I did the southern half in October and the northern half the last week and a half. Just got home last evening, in fact. WHEW... am glad to have those PA rocks behind me.

I found PA folks to be very friendly and helpful. Enjoyed the many trail towns, too.

Posted a link last October to that photo album and hope to be posting one this weekend for this trip, if that might interest you. If you have any questions that I might be able to answer, I'd be happy to try. Post or PM me.

See my comment on ur other thread... :sun

illabelle
04-26-2013, 13:26
We'll keep our eyes open. We're both in our 50's also (only a couple of months left in the 50's for me) - Hope to see you there. - Hops & The Trail Wench

I guess we missed you Hops. Hope you're enjoying your hike.
We're back home now. Chicago weather grounded our flight, so we didn't make it to the trail until late on Thursday, and we had to do more mpd to make up for it. Saw several weekenders on the trail, but almost nobody Monday through Wednesday. Made it to the Doyle Hotel for a shower (that was nice!) and met 2013 thru-hiker #5 on his way in - some guy from Pittsburg with a green pack, didn't get his name. Met Trail Angel Mary - what a sweetheart :) she is! Most of this section (Penn-Mar to Duncannon) was pretty easy, but I have to say that last mile and a half coming off the cliff was NO FUN. This is the longest section we've done, more than double anything previous. Developed a few blisters, so we'll have to re-think our footwear. All in all, a very nice trip, and a great time of year.

Hops53
04-27-2013, 18:12
We're back also. We were one day behind you - saw your entry at Quarry Gap and Darlington - we went on to Clarks Valley and then home. 100+ miles was our longest section also - about 650 done - I'll PM you - we'd love to catch up with you sometime.

Hops53
04-27-2013, 18:19

Thanks for your input - I think we were on the road before it posted - we had a great time, the people were great - loved Boiling Springs!!