PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay / resupply around roan mountain or elk park

fizz3499
04-13-2013, 18:37
I was wondering where the best place to stay or resupply around elk park / roan mountain would be. I am trying to make a list of places I can resupply or send mail drops to before I leave on May 2nd. I am planning on trying to stay in Erwin at Uncle Johnny's and I am trying to figure out what would be the next logical resupply point. I would appreciate any help you all could give me Thanks.

10-K
04-13-2013, 18:43
How far are you hiking?

You can resupply at:

Greasy Creek Friendly hostel
Stay and eat at Mountain Harbor B&B/hostel
Kincora Hostel

If I were hiking as far as Damascus I'd just mail a box to Kincora or see if I could get a shuttle to the grocery store from there.. It's less than 60 miles from Erwin.

WMR
04-13-2013, 19:55
Mtn. Harbor is your best bet if you are looking for place to stay and/or resupply around Elk Park/Roan Mtn. The trail crosses 19E about 1/4 mile from their driveway. They have both a B&B and the hiker hostel. The hostel has a pretty good supply of dry and wet food, shower, etc. If you spring for the B&B you get breakfast. They also shuttle in both directions N & S, will also shuttle you to nearby stores on 19E if they don't have what you need.

Montana Mac
04-13-2013, 20:15
I left Erwin and didn't resupply until I picked up my drop box at Kincora. Bob Peoples is a great guy and to met him is worth the stay at Kincora.

Old Hiker
04-13-2013, 20:29
Mtn Harbor also has a GREAT breakfast - AYCE - $7(?). This is a full-on buffet! I camped in the parking lot with no problems. Shuttle to the $-Store or grocery in town as well. Really nice people.

fizz3499
04-13-2013, 21:41
Thanks everyone for the suggestions I appreciate them. This is my first long distance section hike attempt on the AT. I will be starting from AFSP on May 3rd and I would like to make it through Pennsylvania before I have to head back home. I have AWOL'S guide book but even so it can be hard to know where to try to stay and resupply at. I have to do some mail drop because of some meds I need to have sent to me every few weeks so thought I might as well send some food and supplies also. Thanks again for all the suggestions.