PDA

View Full Version : Removing mesh lining

nastynate
04-13-2013, 21:10
I've got a Columbia Omni dry rain suit. Mesh/nylon liner in both. Any reason not to completely remove the liner to save weight and increase packability? 3 seasons in the southeast mostly.

Tinker
04-13-2013, 23:40
It's probably there to shield your skin from the moisture that will build up on the inside of the coated fabric. I would not remove it, or at least, if you decide to go ahead and do it, bring along a synthetic or merino wool shirt that will keep the moist (and sticky/clingy) fabric away from your skin.

nastynate
04-13-2013, 23:50
Maybe I should live with the 31 oz weight or just splurge on the 10 oz. driducks.

Tinker
04-14-2013, 00:02
Try the Driducks. I tried two different variations - both were coated polypropylene fabric. One was called Micropore and was sold by Backpacking Light and the other was a bicycle-specific jacket. Both were lighter than Driducks, both worked for a while, and both either tore or delaminated (the bicycling garment was worse) after a couple of months of use. Frogg Toggs are well spoken of here, too - basically a competitor to Driducks, if I'm not mistaken.

Mistaken - different products, parent company is Frogg Toggs. Many choices on the site.

QiWiz
04-14-2013, 06:50
I think the mesh liner will spread out moisture so that it gets pushed out better by body heat. I'd think twice.