PDA

View Full Version : Smoking pot and getting drunk on the trail?

Highpointbound
04-13-2013, 22:32
On a Facebook AT hiking page, someone posted about why people are "bi--hing" and "complaining" on WB about the people that are 'smoking pot' and 'getting drunk' on the trail. This person said those that are complaining about the drunks and pot smokers should go home because that is what the trail is going to be like all the way to ME. This is news to me. As someone who is hoping to plan an AT hike in the future, I kind of thought the trail was a place that people went to leave all that type of stuff behind and become 'one' with the outdoors and all that stuff. This year I am hearing more and more about people trashing places, smoking weed and getting drunk on the trail, etc. Meh....not like im not used to seeing that sort of behavior at home. Im a bit surprised though,as I kinda had the idea that the sort of folks that would do a hike of the AT were more..hmm..I dunno..chilled out. So...what do you all think? Are the pot smoking, booze drinking hikers the norm now. as this person on the other board suggested?

Tinker
04-13-2013, 22:36
Most people I've met are out there to get away from it all. More and more, lately, I've found that younger folks don't have the "romantic" notion of the AT that I grew up with, and tend to party more. Older folks like me tend to let the youngsters party and keep our noses out of it. That's yet another reason to bring your own shelter. ;)

Highpointbound
04-13-2013, 22:37
To be clear..the person on the Facebook page was saying that people should not be saying anything about the pot smoking or drinking. That if they dont like it..they can get off the trail and go home.

Mountain Mike
04-13-2013, 22:37
It's not the norm, but you do see it. How much beer & booze does a hiker really want to carry?

Highpointbound
04-13-2013, 22:38
That's yet another reason to bring your own shelter. ;) Good point.

WingedMonkey
04-13-2013, 22:43
Apparently you are on medication or off your medication.

Highpointbound
04-13-2013, 22:46
Well I suppose that is just the way it is now. I have to admit that for me PERSONALLY..i would find it a bit sad if the AT became a party scene. Such is life now. People will say that if you dont like it, just dont go near those hikers. Though you cant totally avoid people ALL the time. Plus, I would think meeting people on the trail would be part of the experience. Oh well. Party on.

Alligator
04-13-2013, 22:47
Please don't drag the drama from other websites to WB and we'll do our best to not let it get out of hand here as well. Thanks.

Highpointbound

Why do you say this? I simply asked if this was the norm..as it was brought up on another board. A bit of a harsh response dont you think?

Tinker

Can't argue with that logic (but I can't figure out where WingedMonkey is coming from, exactly) :D.