PDA

View Full Version : Looking for CT to Leadville hitch info??

Zuman
04-14-2013, 09:36
I'm thru-hiking the CT this summer and I need info if you have hitched from the CT to Leadville. I tentatively plan to arrive in Leadville during mid-week.

I realize there are two options from which to hitch into town. Option 1: North of town, Seg 9, Tennessee Pass (on Hwy 24). Option 2: Timberline Lake Trailhead (Seg 10) which is on the west side of Turquoise Lake (Turquoise Lake Rd) and west of town.

My guess is that the hitching is better mid-week on Hwy 24 from Tennessee Pass. However (question), what was your experience with the traffic and opportunities on Turquoise Lake Rd (how long did it take for a hitch)? So, which road--inputs/comments?

"When you come to the fork in the road--take it!"--Yogi Berra. (But here's why, when giving directions to friends going to his house they would arrive at a fork in the road. He would tell them to take the fork because the right or left would both end at his house.

Zuman

Cookerhiker
04-14-2013, 11:11
Since you're thruhiking, are you planning to stay at the Leadville Hostel? If so, you can call them and arrange for a pickup.

brian039
04-14-2013, 11:27
I didn't hitch from Turquoise Lake but 24 was a very easy hitch even though I had to split it into 2 hitches.

Mags
04-14-2013, 12:47
From TN Pass is going to be the easiest hitch into Leadville. Good chance you'll meet someone at the TH who can take you into town esp on a weekend.

handlebar
04-14-2013, 19:40
When I hiked the CDT (shares tread with the CT), I hitched into Leadville from Tennessee Pass (US24). I got there really late in the day at 7:30PM on Tuesday, July 6, 2010. I decided to try hitching for a half hour and if unsuccessful to stealth camp in the woods (probably near the Leadville Hostels trail magic). Traffic was light, but the second car to pass pulled to a stop, turned around, and took me all the way to the hostel. I plan to hitch in from the same place when I tackle the CT this summer. I suspect a hitch on Turquoise Lk Rd would be very difficult.

Dogwood
04-14-2013, 21:26
I've hitched both to and from both those places. One on a CDT Sobo from/to TENN Pass to/from LVille. Easy! Plerntry of possible campsites around TennPass too. From TimLine Lake TH in Oct 2012 while thrung the CT. Met someone at the TH and got a ride immediately into Lville. Got a ride back to the TimLine TH after a zero at the Hostel from a women I met at the Lville Main St Coffee Shop(good Joe! and Burritos! and pastries!, near the small outfitter on the same side of the street).The LVille Hostel will shuttle you back to either place. The Lville Hostel is one of the BEST RUN and EQUIPPED reasonably priced hostels I've ever had the pleasure of staying at! The road around Turquoise Lake(The TBLTH is at the top of the horseshoe) is a loop like a horseshoe so anyone driving around the lake can get you to the TH. Several well used camping areas around the lake too so TL RD does see traffic!

Dogwood
04-14-2013, 21:29
The loop(Turquoise Lake Rd) goes into Lville at two different places.

Zuman
04-15-2013, 19:28
All,

Thanks to all for your insights/recommendations--great community of people with the same passion and, ready to help! "Dogwood" or anybody, I'm assuming the Leadville Hostel charges a nominal fee for shuttling to/from the trailheads?

BTW, I do plan on staying at the Leadville Hostel based on many comments I've read.

Spirit Walker
04-15-2013, 23:41
We got lucky when we were hiking the CDT in 2006 and got a ride immediately at Turquoise Lake with some tourists who were wandering the area. However, in my journal I noted that I'd recommend Tenn. Pass as an easier place to get in and out of town.

jacob_springsteen
04-17-2013, 01:51
Turquoise Lake. Severely low water levels last fall. I opted to road walk back to the CT from the hostel. Nice walk. Not much traffic really on that asphalt hike. Didn't care if I did not get a hitch. I was thrilled to be in CO and on vacation and having great weather and a great hike. Interesting note. You can ride from Frisco to Leadville for $5 on the bus. I could see bypassing Breckenridge next time and perhaps paying the money to stay in Leadville that night. Frisco was a better deal to spend the $$ in for a town stay, btw, vs. Breckenridge.

Chaco Taco
04-17-2013, 18:15
We are gonna take the Summit Express to Frisco form Denver airport, buy food and fuel, and hitch to Goldhill before it gets dark. Do alot of places close on the $th of July in this area???

Chaco Taco
04-17-2013, 18:16
4th of July

Dogwood
04-17-2013, 18:30
The Lville Hostel charges a nominal fee for a ride back to either TH. Don't quote me on this but I think it was $20. Personally, if you are coming in from/going back out to Tenn Pass getting rides is pretty easy. You can even do "neros" to/from either TH because camping areas aren't too far from either TH.

brian039
04-17-2013, 19:19
4th of July

They don't close but you won't find a room in Breck on the 4th. You're better off staying in Frisco, Silverthorne, or Leadville anyways. You can get to all of those towns super-easy from Breck.

bearcreek
04-17-2013, 20:05
There is free bus service between Frisco and Breckenridge that stops near the Goldhill trailhead. You can always hike a mile or two out from the trailhead and camp.

Chaco Taco
04-17-2013, 20:56
Well the way our trip is shaping up, I m going to have to mail our stove somewhere where Ill also be able to get fuel. We fly in on the 4th and will take the Summit Express into Frisco, go get food, and fuel and our package with the stove. From there we had thought about just hanging out in town and taking the Summit Stage to Goldhill after we are ready to go, no rush. We wont have to walk very long anyway and we will have plenty of daylight.

Dogwood
04-17-2013, 21:15
Chaco Taco, just to add a bit to Bearcreek's info, from the Frisco bus transfer station behind WalMart, which is where the Summit Express from the Denver AP will let you off, jump on the free bus to Breck and get dropped off right near the Goldhill TH on Hwy 9. You could also hitch and probably get a ride pretty fast or walk the bike trail that parallels Hwy 9 into Breck which all go right by that TH. If you made arrangements in advance the Fireside Inn/Hostel in Breck, right near everything, caters to hikers at reasonable rates. They have private rooms and single dormitory beds. Very nice owners. Miight be nice after a long travel.

As others have mentioned, there are several hiking scenarios/possibilities between Breck and LVille. A slack pack between Copper Mt and Breck is easy and potentially eliminates a heavy haul over the ridge between CM and Beck. Be mindful of where/when you resupply in this area because depending on direction of travel it's a long ascent SOBO up CM to the Janet's Cabin area. Personally, when I hiked through here on 3 separate occasions I broke up my food hauls. If taking the CT SOBO(towards Durango/ Twin Lakes) the CT gets more strenuous as you head south of Breck, IMO.

Dogwood
04-17-2013, 21:20
The CT and CDT share common tread just outside(north) of Breck south to Twin Lakes. Jonathan Ley's CDT maps of this area between Breck and Lville, WITH HIS ACCOMPANYING COMMENTS INCLUDED ON THE MAPS, could be very helpful to CTers too!!!

Mags
04-17-2013, 21:27
We are gonna take the Summit Express to Frisco form Denver airport, buy food and fuel, and hitch to Goldhill before it gets dark. Do alot of places close on the $th of July in this area???

You can use the free bus system to get to Gold Hill TH.
http://www.co.summit.co.us/index.aspx?NID=586

Chaco Taco
04-17-2013, 21:52
You can use the free bus system to get to Gold Hill TH.
http://www.co.summit.co.us/index.aspx?NID=586
I forgot, we are planning on using it...

Chaco Taco
04-18-2013, 07:45
Oh Im def carrying my pack the whole way. We are flying on a holiday and I just wonder if places are open when we get to town. Im just going to call for hours. I may try to arrange a maildrop with one of the Outdoors stores in Frisco and just send it a few days ahead of time. When we get to Frisco gonna get food and carry 4 days worth to Tennessee Pass and then bus or hitch to Leadville and resupply, get some town food and head back out then hike to Turquoise Lake and Twin Lakes area and try to attempt Mt Elbert or Massive at the end of the trip.