PDA

View Full Version : End of May Smokies Condidtions

skippymo
04-14-2013, 10:56
Hey guys what should I expect for weather Late - End of May from Elwin to Mountain Harbour? Looking for average Temp usually, and is it still snowy or should I expect loads of rain? Thanks for all the help, hopefully temperate conditions with only sunny days right?! haha

Sandy of PA
04-14-2013, 19:48
http://www.outragegis.com/weather/grsm/ will help you figure it out.

globetruck
04-14-2013, 20:28
Weather.com, weatherunderground.com, and NOAA are all good weather websites that include averages.

2 years ago, we spent a week in the smokies (1st week of June) and it was stupid hot and dry (mid 90s every day). You never know what you're going to get.

shaman.in.a.yurt
04-14-2013, 21:12
You never know what you're going to get.

^^^This is the correct answer. Late in the 2nd week of May I got snow/freezing rain (2011) in the Smokies on the AT.

Just part of the game when backpacking at higher elevations (relative to the region) in the mountains. Weather changed day-to-day, if not hour-by-hour when I lived in the North Cascades of WA for 4 months last year...

HooKooDooKu
04-15-2013, 00:31
According to the people at Mt LeConte Lodge, the mountains have seen snow at one time or another in every month of the year but July. By contrast, I've been hiking in the Smokies over Memorial Weekend and had to fan myself to keep from sweating when I crawled into my tent at dusk.

skippymo
04-15-2013, 10:26
all awesome info guys, thanks i'll keep trying to find averages. :)

redseal
04-16-2013, 19:35
I'm hoping for sunny days as well :-)