PDA

View Full Version : Shin Splints...What have I done!?

SOLcreature
04-14-2013, 20:06
Alright, I may be over-reacting here, but there is definitely an unusual pain there. I have always been very active, and am used to carrying heavy loads from growing up on a farm/working construction/etc. I have never (knock on wood) broken a bone and have no reason to believe I am prone to the "tibial fracture" form of shin splints, but I think I may have pushed it a little. Like a fool in boots that have only been worked for about 12 miles so far, I went out without trekking poles and did 4.5 miles with a 25lb pack on my back, getting over-excited and feeling like a million bucks, while making some serious mistakes. I haven't done that in a bit and did not properly build up to this. I know I need to give it a day or twos rest and some ice, and if the pain becomes localized; I will never hike this summer. This CANNOT happen. I am icing and beginning flexion exercises tomorrow to strengthen the front calf before further hiking in these boots. Am I being naïve in thinking I will strengthen to carry a 28 lb pack in 3 weeks? Is this front-side of the leg burning normal after doing something stupid, or should I be seriously alarmed? It is not really painful, but a dull burning sensation covering the front of the calves that doesn't subside at rest. Also, what should I do to break in these hikers a little faster? They are seen here: http://www.usoutdoor.com/oboz-footwear-llc/oboz-traverse-mid-hiking-shoe/?gclid=CIne3bSvy7YCFQWCnQod9GsAMg if needed. I have spoken to a friend who is a personal health instructor and he said plenty of eggs, apples, and bananas and he thinks I may have just overdone it a little and it's no cause for alarm, but I am alarmed because I am supposed to leave may 5th! Anyone experienced this? How long should it take to subside? Thank you in advance! (I should also mention that I have NEVER had any experience with this condition so I am not familiar with it's warning signs, so I am sorry if I am freaking out too soon)

Dogwood
04-14-2013, 21:09
I've had debilitating shin splits sideline me on the PCT less than 300 miles from Manning Park Canada. UGGH! Stretching IS IMPERATIVE! Before, during, and after hiking. Anti inflammatory meds and foods help too. Between the stretching, dietary changes, and COMPRESSION CALF TUBES I've largely beat this issue. I also have a lighter kit than ever. I make sure my shoes are new with well cushioned soles with proper after market orthotics and cushy socks. You might also try gel heel cups or thick gel footbeds.

MuddyWaters
04-14-2013, 21:35
things like shin splints and stress fractures generally only hurt when walking on them. Sometimes they feel great for a little while, then start hurting.
At rest you should not have any pain from those. A tibial fracture would have a tender area and localized pain on the lower outside-front of the leg

Dogwood
04-14-2013, 21:43
Got to ice shin splints too if that's indeed what they are. Google is your friend. Healing Preventing shin splints.

firesign
04-15-2013, 06:49
Hi SOL C,

1. See a doctor and establish what is wrong - he/she will advise on medication and a rehab program. No cheating!

2. Gradually build up your training to reflect the reality of what you will face on the AT. There are lots of pre-hike training guides on this and other sites to help you find your optimum fitness. i.e. start without a pack and build up your mileage, then a light pack/heavier pack, then hills and then mountains. Train for reality like soldiers do.

3. If you are over-weight, then loose it, or add it to the Base Weight of your pack. Carrying excess body fat on a 2,200 mile hike is insane.

4. Research Stretches that you can perform for increased muscle control, flexibility and range of motion. Assuming that you have shin splints, look into the stretches you can perform for this part of your legs.

Best of Luck,

SOLcreature
04-15-2013, 07:56
Thank you everyone! I am doing all of the above! Think it's over-reaction as I am feeling much better after a zero day, but now paying MUCH closer attention to this possibility. Very scary, and VERY eye opening.

Ewok11
04-15-2013, 09:33
I will add massage to all of the above. No, you don't have to go pay someone else to do it. Rub your legs. Get a foam roller or tennis ball. Just use your hands. Have a spouse or friend do it for you. Either way, try working out the stiffness in your tibialis anterior (shin muscle). You will become more familiar with what is normal and what isn't for your body, work out any knots that might be present and hey....get a leg massage. However, if you experience too much pain to proceed with rubbing your legs, don't do it, just go see a doctor.

Ktaadn
04-15-2013, 11:57
It seems counterintuitive but stretching your calves should make the pain go away. I read it somewhere and it worked for me.

SCRUB HIKER
04-15-2013, 13:26
All you might ever want to know about shin splints, with a link to the same guy's article on tibial stress fractures, which may be directly related. There's a pretty robust Treatment and Prevention section. http://runningwritings.blogspot.com/2012/10/injury-series-medial-tibial-stress.html